Non-motoring > Why I don't cook much Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 12

Why I don't cook much - Crankcase
So, saw my old mum today and she had a million apples from her tree. So I thought I'd try making apple pie.

Not being any sort of cook, I picked a recipe. It was a Delia one.

The end result is cooking, but I followed the recipe exactly. The first problem was that there were WAY too many apples to fit the tin. Just way off. Now have to throw away stacks. And more importantly, there was nothing LIKE enough pastry, even when rolled so thin it was virtually see through, to cover the base and top.

So, foodies, tell me is this recipe bonkers and has misprints, or I didn't do something obvious, to make it all fit, or what?

Yes the tin was the size specified.

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/english-apple-pie.html
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 27 Sep 14 at 17:25
 Why I don't cook much - WillDeBeest
Apples are mostly water. Apply heat and the water is driven off, leaving much less apple than you started with.

Can't really help with the pastry, though. If you're afraid of it - as I am - the pastry knows it and plays up accordingly.
Well, we've eaten it now, and notwithstanding the logistics, it turned out jolly nice. Hurrah.

Why I don't cook much - Roger.
My wife uses Delia's apple pie recipe and it is just gorgeous!
Mind you, Mrs. R is a fully trained Home Economist who used, amongst other things, to demonstrate cookery on stage and in W.I. gatherings, for the gas industry. She once shared a stage with Fanny Cradock and describes her as "an absolute bitch"! Johnny was nice, though and massively hen-pecked!
Well I just hope my cakes don't turn out like Fanny's.
 Why I don't cook much - Bromptonaut

>> shared a stage with Fanny Cradock and describes her as "an absolute bitch"! Johnny was
>> nice, though and massively hen-pecked!

The FC was a bitch line has far to much currency to be myth.
 Why I don't cook much - Roger.
>>
>> >> shared a stage with Fanny Cradock and describes her as "an absolute bitch"! Johnny
>> was
>> >> nice, though and massively hen-pecked!
>>
>> The FC was a bitch line has far to much currency to be myth.

As I said, my wife worked alongside her, albeit only once, so I reckon that's first hand experience!
 Why I don't cook much - Zero
>> Apples are mostly water. Apply heat and the water is driven off, leaving much less
>> apple than you started with.

My mums new house has an apple tree that has cropped and is till cropping a prodigious amount of apples.

So I used Jamies recipe for a tart Tart Tartin, my first attempt at such a dish! It was magnificent!

>> Can't really help with the pastry, though. If you're afraid of it - as I
>> am - the pastry knows it and plays up accordingly.

You need to love your pastry and caress it.
 Why I don't cook much - Bromptonaut
>> You need to love your pastry and caress it.

What, after buying the JusRol stuff?
 Why I don't cook much - Alastairw
According to my mother the key to good pastry is cold hands, which is why my aunt is better at it than her. My hands are usually warm, so I buy ready made.
 Why I don't cook much - Zero
>> >> You need to love your pastry and caress it.
>>
>> What, after buying the JusRol stuff?

Yes, even ready made will bake to the consistency of roman roofing tiles if you slap it about too much.
 Why I don't cook much - CGNorwich
"if you slap it about too much."

buy the ready rolled
 Why I don't cook much - Pat
Aunt Bessie's is better...

Pat
Latest Forum Posts