Non-motoring > People you know on telly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 17

People you know on telly - Armel Coussine
Seeing people you have met on the box is always interesting. I saw two at once last night, big-name talking heads in a piece about Jack Kerouac. They are both dead now I think.

One was a kind-hearted, tender soul who never bad-mouthed anyone in public, the other a sometimes stern literary judge who seemed unimpressed by Kerouac's intellect. Both feature under pseudonyms in Kerouac's novel On The Road.
 People you know on telly - Runfer D'Hills
On this and indeed further to another post the other day, I had an uncle, well, by marriage anyway, who was in his day, a very well known MP and indeed led his party for a spell. Retired now but still kicking about.

He was seen as a bit staid and dry in his public persona but off stage he is hilariously funny, serially foul mouthed and hugely intelligent. Petrol head too.

Funny how the TV is a modern proscenium arch, concealing and even encouraging the concealment of reality in favour of giving an audience a show.
 People you know on telly - WillDeBeest
I'm thinking soup, Humph. Indirectly, anyway.
 People you know on telly - Lygonos
the merciless.
Soup? The merciless?

You've lost me. I must be thick or hopelessly ignorant.

People you know on telly - Lygonos
>> I must be thick or hopelessly ignorant

Or?

Anyways AC, you're old enough to have seen him first time round fighting Larry 'Buster' Crabb.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 26 Sep 14 at 15:33
'And' if you like, cheeky sod. Doesn't bother me unduly.

But who is this 'him' you refer to? Humph's uncle by marriage?

All the mystery is a bit tiresome.
I suppose it must be David Steel. Had to be a Jock.

I haven't interviewed David Steel, but I have conversed with him outside the Palace of Westminster on rather a cold day. Like the winsome Glenys Kinnock he was a supporter of liberal causes including a pet one of mine.

Very pleasant cat of course, impenetrable in the manner of his species. I was a hack in those days and it was all grist to my rather languid and dilettante mill.

(I didn't know he liked cars. But there wouldn't have been time for that. And of course we were both on our best behaviour, all official sort of thing, so no chance of any e***** and blinding on either side. Sad, innit?).
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 26 Sep 14 at 18:48
 People you know on telly - commerdriver
same party but I was thinking Man of .... as in superman
>> seen as a bit staid and dry in his public persona but off stage he is hilariously funny, serially foul mouthed and hugely intelligent. Petrol head too.

There are only three or four possibilities Humph but I can't begin to work out who it is. Edward Heath was a notoriously frightening driver but he's long dead.

All politics is part showmanship. TV makes it almost too easy for practitioners... but it can expose too.
 People you know on telly - John Boy
What was the channel and programme, AC? I'd like to watch that. I'm an admirer of Jack Kerouac.
>> I'd like to watch that. I'm an admirer of Jack Kerouac.

So was I, back in the day.

I am sorry to say JB that I can't remember. There are 50 or more channels available here... history, USA this and that, and sometimes one flicks through them. I was doing that last night - this morning really - and there were Ginsberg and Burroughs talking about Kerouac. I've tried to track it down by googling... unfortunately the weekly review, which has very comprehensive TV listings, has gone missing. I'm not adept enough to track it down by Googling.

Perhaps that rude Scotch doctor is right and I'm thick and ignorant. Sorry.
 People you know on telly - Alastairw
Client of mine was in the new David Morrissey drama on Tuesday. Very small part, near the beginning. I shall tease him a bit next time he comes to the office.
 People you know on telly - Focusless
>> >> I'd like to watch that. I'm an admirer of Jack Kerouac.
>>
>> I am sorry to say JB that I can't remember.

A search on the Radio Times website gives this -
www.radiotimes.com/episode/wdjn7/jack-kerouac-king-of-the-beats

?
Duh, how pathetic of me. That must be the one.
 People you know on telly - John Boy
>> A search on the Radio Times website gives this -
>> www.radiotimes.com/episode/wdjn7/jack-kerouac-king-of-the-beats
>>
>> ?
>>
Thankyou for that. Sadly, we don't have Sky.
 People you know on telly - Avant
Humph's uncle by marriage sounds like either David Steel (who I think has a Mark 2 Jaguar) or, as WdB thinks, Ming Campbell. Both suitably Scottish.
Must admit I didn't consider Menzies Campbell although he is entirely suitable. Duh again... suddenly I get soup and the merciless (although I thought that was Macdonwald in Macbeth).

Actually I seem to remember Campbell was witty and looked it.
Latest Forum Posts