Non-motoring > Selling stuff on forums Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 12

Selling stuff on forums - ToMoCo
I have a buyer (through a forum) for the old exhaust that was on my car. I don't want to take PayPal because it can be reversed too easily, so I asked for bank transfer.

Buyer has agreed, but wants a scan of utility bill for proof of my address but I'm suddenly a bit uneasy about that. Now, its a fair chunk of money and the buyer is rightly looking to protect himself.

Any advice to take this forward so we both feel reasonably safe?

Am I right to be uneasy about giving my bank details along with a scan of utility bill?
 Selling stuff on forums - mikeyb
Utility bills are a common form of id for applications so you are right to be concerned, it could be an identity fraud issue, but if he wanted to trick you then I doubt he would have wanted to buy it from you via paypal in the first place.

This really is the sort of thing that paypal is for
 Selling stuff on forums - Zero
why does he need a utility bill to send money to you??

Selling stuff on forums - ToMoCo
I'm asking the guy to hand over 300 quid and trust that I'll send him the goods. I guess he needs proof of where I live?
 Selling stuff on forums - Slidingpillar
Edit a scan of one.

Take out the account number, your initials and any other personal information. Just leave the bits he could have found out from the electoral roll.

This site says it's from the data, but as I've opted out of the open register, can't properly check.
www.whitepages.co.uk/electoral-roll-search-and-electoral-register-voters.html
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Mon 22 Sep 14 at 20:24
 Selling stuff on forums - Mapmaker
>>Am I right to be uneasy about giving my bank details along with a scan of utility bill?

No. If you wanted a PayPal payment you could have had it. You've denied him that level of security as you don't trust him enough, so now he needs some evidence that he should trust you.

Interestingly, I've bought quite a lot of things 'off' eBay, through Gumtree etc, and never had any problem with them. Things bought through eBay, though, are far more likely to be troublesome. It's as though people think 'the buyer has the eBay protection, I don't have to be as careful.'

And this is a world away from the other party requesting you provide him with a utility bill off the top of his head - then, yes you might be worried.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Tue 23 Sep 14 at 17:34
 Selling stuff on forums - J Bonington Jagworth
"I don't want to take PayPal because it can be reversed too easily"

Really? I know you can dispute transactions, but I think you have to provide supporting evidence. AFAIK.
 Selling stuff on forums - madf
I just sold my 40 year old lawnmower on ebay for £45.

The buyer paid via Paypal and collected.

I printed out two copies of a Goods Received Note = gave him one, and retained the other signed by him.
(I did describe it accurately tinyurl.com/q3eef7b and ran it for him before he took it away).

No problems.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 24 Sep 14 at 09:01
 Selling stuff on forums - Dutchie
That is a nice lawnmower madf 40 years and still running looks in good nick.

Good buy.
 Selling stuff on forums - J Bonington Jagworth
Seconded. It will probably last longer than most new ones.
 Selling stuff on forums - Cliff Pope
>> Seconded. It will probably last longer than most new ones.
>>

Bound to. It's got an aluminium base for a start. All my steel ones rusted badly and then collapsed.
 Selling stuff on forums - Dutchie
Some things seem to last don't they.I have a spade bought about 40 years ago.

They probably bury me with it.>:)
 Selling stuff on forums - madf
I bought a Viking: tinyurl.com/o3olm7l

Mainly plastic polymer: nice and light (27kg). My dead Atco Balmoral weighed 53kgs...

(needless to say I paid substantially less than the list price.)
Last edited by: madf on Wed 24 Sep 14 at 11:51
Latest Forum Posts