Non-motoring > What's your story, Green Issues
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 23

What's your story, - Armel Coussine
Morning Glory?

I don't garden, but Herself does. There are a lot of very fine pink roses round the back lawn, and she has a Morning Glory plant in a pot just outside the door here. The flowers are already shrivelling and by this evening they will all look dead. But tomorrow morning they will all - eight or ten of them - open again looking brand new, and a very fine blue colour they are.

I don't garden, but I'm glad someone does.
 What's your story, - BiggerBadderDave
Do you still get a morning glory every day at your age Lud?
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Sun 21 Sep 14 at 15:51
 What's your story, - Pat
I certainly do!

Whoa Dave....;)

Morning Glory is beautiful and self seeds every year in my garden.

I have spent the first weekend off this year planting up baskets for winter with Pansies and Heathers.

.....and doing a Newsletter and fundraising bumf for a charity weekend next weekend at Ipswich!

Then it's off to Scarborough to see the In-laws for 3 days and back home to go to Ieper on the following Sunday to stay in the square for the night and attend the Menin Gate ceremony and try some snails.

Pat
>> still get a morning glory every day at your age

What's that when it's not in an earthenware pot then?
 What's your story, - Ted

Ahem !
 What's your story, - Duncan
>> >> still get a morning glory every day at your age
>>
>> What's that when it's not in an earthenware pot then?
>>

Blimey! He can't be serious - can he?
You do make me feel ignorant all of you. Just because I was in a different group of sniggering nose-picking adolescents... It's just not fair!

However since none of you can explain I will have to remain in the dark. I'm used to it.
 What's your story, - BiggerBadderDave
Well, we call it morning glory, the yanks call it...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCkTRuP0ICI
Can't help wondering how many here have really looked at a Morning Glory flower.

Yeah, yeah, it's blue man, so what... but what a blue! Ordinary but extraordinary, knowImean? Is BBD a colour man, or just form? I think we should be told.
I posted a whole screed about morning woodies in response to BBD, but it's all vanished and I can't be bothered to revive it. BBD would have loved it, all that catholic stuff (but he's absurdly bigoted and wrong about the Catholic Church which is a political organization but not a hotbed of nonces).

EDIT: Not invariably, I should have said. Anyone can be unlucky.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 21 Sep 14 at 21:09
 What's your story, - legacylad
I thought that Morning Glory was an Oasis question.
Shows how little I know.
 What's your story, - Runfer D'Hills
I once saw "Oasis soup" on a blackboard menu in a cafe. When I asked the obvious question I was told "You get a roll with it"...
 What's your story, - rtj70
At university in Manchester I was involved in the hall of residence committee. We needed entertainment in an adjoining room to the building on Fridays to increase capacity. We had a chance to get Oasis there. I veto'd it. Never happened.

I think they did okay after my decision. :-)
 What's your story, - Bromptonaut
>> At university in Manchester I was involved in the hall of residence committee. We needed
>> entertainment in an adjoining room to the building on Fridays to increase capacity. We had
>> a chance to get Oasis there. I veto'd it. Never happened.
>>
>> I think they did okay after my decision. :-)

Like the man who turned down the Beatles?
 What's your story, - Bromptonaut
Morning Glory is of course a variant on convolvulus which in it's wild form has the country name 'Granny Pop Out of Bed'. Woodbine is same family.

Flanders and Swann hade a take on the subject:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYr0eNtpDHs
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 21 Sep 14 at 22:16
 What's your story, - WillDeBeest
...and these chaps have a different one.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ip9DDuAbXM
Tidy but uninspired rock instrumenttal WdB, and truly appalling beards. The Flanders and Swann is a bit cosy but better melody and more intelligent (and political) lyric in my unhumble opinion of course.
 What's your story, - WillDeBeest
Mine too, actually, AC. The Top song is from the unloved Afterburner album which - brilliant cover apart - was an insipid and overproduced attempt to build on the success of the breakthrough Eliminator (whose drum intro to the opening track is still about the finest thing to hear at the top of a motorway sliproad.)

And I've been a Flanders and Swann fan since about 1973, when my dad recorded a BBC radio special on their work containing most of their best-known songs. I used to demand to hear The Gasman Cometh over and over again.
 What's your story, - CGNorwich
Morning glory seeds were much sought after in the early seventies. Steeped in alcohol they produce a psychedelic substance popular in the hippy community. At one time they were withdrawn from sale by seed merchants.

Purely horticultural interest of course.

>> they produce a psychedelic substance popular in the hippy community. At one time they were withdrawn from sale by seed merchants.

I remember the fad, can't remember what the substance is called, annoyingly. There was some reason why I never tried them - too expensive, too much hassle, something like that. And powerful psychedelics are a mixed blessing, not always fun by any means.

I don't think they were ever 'popular' as a drug. More of a nine days' media wonder.
>> I remember the fad, can't remember what the substance is called, annoyingly. There was some reason why I never tried them - too expensive, too much hassle, something like that.

I hate forgetting things so I googled Morning Glory. It seems I didn't try the seeds as a drug because they were expensive, tiresome to prepare, liable to produce intense nausea and quite often a 'bad trip' (something that can be much worse than it sounds, I should warn those who have been spared one).

All powerful hallucinogens seem to come on with nausea, including LSD and mescaline. By the time MG was arousing interest I'd been there and done that, was busy and didn't fancy paying a lot of money to waste a day or even two, be sick and feel foolishly alarmed by imaginary threats. I've never regretted chickening out on it. One grows up in the end.

Herself's plant or plants are twining round two or three bamboos she has stuck in the pot. They clamber all over each other and the bamboos, and those interested in politics should note that they twine anti-clockwise as they climb, reflecting their gardener's left-of-centre leanings.

:o}
>> didn't fancy paying a lot of money to waste a day or even two

Maybe 12 hours, maybe 24 or even 48. The problem of dosage - the very variable content in psychoactive substances, known crudely as 'strength' - is common to all drugs that are grown rather than manufactured.

Many, perhaps most, drug experiences are disappointingly tame. Not all though. You know where you are with something that comes from a drug manufacturer with a given weight in micrograms or whatever. You may still get ripped seven ways to sundown, but you have a feeling that you will probably come down eventually. Peyote buttons may well seem much graver than that. Even LSD damaged people.
 What's your story, - SimonB
If I remember correctly, AC, the hallucinogen was LSA - Lysergic Acid Amide. The seeds were not banned from sale as the concentration of LSA was so low that about 500 were needed to get one dose.

>> The seeds were not banned from sale as the concentration of LSA was so low that about 500 were needed to get one dose.

They were in some drug-paranoid US States... but I think plants and their contents vary with soil and climatic conditions among others. You just can't rely on a natural-type preparation having predictable effects. The more useless it is, the luckier you probably are...

MG became a bit of a scam. Google it, that's what it look like.
Latest Forum Posts