Non-motoring > Peaceful retirement Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 16

Peaceful retirement - Armel Coussine
It isn't the season and I don't know if there is still a local pack, so I was surprised this afternoon by a clamour that could only be a pack of hounds in some sort of cry. In fact it sounded for a while as if they had fallen on some hapless cat, fox or mole and were tearing it to pieces.

Actually though it was a 12-year-old grandchild and her four friends, plus the six-year-old. They've gone away through the wood and things are quiet now, with the tot in the bath. Trouble is herself is going out soon and then the little hellions will be my responsibility. I hope it won't involve any exercise of authority. I'm lousy at that.
 Peaceful retirement - zippy
>> I'm lousy at that

You need to develop a "look" that cannot be confused with anything else and conveys to the young'uns that no more will be tolerated.

I remember a friends mum when I was still in shorts and she would do it to us when we had leapt fully over the line. One look and that was it, two terriers transformed in to kittens with a glance. She never uttered a word in anger though and often followed up with homemade cakes once we had cleaned ourselves up.
 Peaceful retirement - Old Navy
As you are outnumbered you don't stand a chance, just surrender. You should have let them know who is the boss from day one. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 18 Sep 14 at 18:43
All quiet... they've gone to sleep in a pile in the Sister-in-Law's library across the back lawn. Of course outside lights have to be left on and a door left unlocked.

Tomorrow I have to drop herself at the station half an hour before I usually get up and then come back. That's when I'm going to be responsible, I got it wrong. Gonna be wonderful obviously.

With luck though they will be unconscious until the late afternoon. But there's this diabolical energy. Guh.
 Peaceful retirement - Dutchie
Two days a week with our granddaughter.The other day we had a walk around the Marina.

Some lovely old sailing barges to view .I bought her a icecream as usual her face covered in ice.I love being with her, we have our differences opa I don't want to do this or that.

I'm a expert at nappy changing again things go full circle in live.
 Peaceful retirement - Ted

I escaped the nappy hell this time.. I did ours and we used Terry nappies in those days. I have no doubt I could do it but only one uses a nappy now and that's at bedtime.

Like Dutchie, I love to have them here. the 9/4 yr old brothers stayed last Saturday. We went to the Airport viewing park in the afternoon and on to a little cafe I know nearby for a drink and a home made cake.

Had our dinner in the caravan then watched telly 'til about 2130 when they crashed out in the spare room. Full English in the morning and played 'til parents sobered up and came over from Stockport by train and tram. They'd been to a wedding locally and left the Grand Voyager with us. Later we all had Sunday lunch together at our house.

Ha ! Nearly midnight and I've just had a txt from Jaguar offering me a test drive of a new XF ? or something....can't they sleep ?
 Peaceful retirement - Alastairw
Tis a super afternoon out at the AVP. Did you have look round the Concorde hanger - its much better than leaving her out in the open.
 Peaceful retirement - Ted

Didn't go to see the big bird...I was happy sitting in Sun with me new ( to me ) Lumix FZ45. I didn't use it though as the fence isn't condusive to photography and the viewing mounds were crowded. SWM and the boys did go in another plane...Trident ??

The road into the AVP is the old Wilmslow Road, past the Romper pub. It used to bear to the left across the runway protected by gates on either side operated by a man in a hut at each gate. You could turn off the road before you reached the runway onto an old taxiway and park up facing the runway with nothing between you and the planes. In those days we had convertibles and it was a good place to take a picnic in the evening with the hood down and do a bit of light courting....Happy daze !

I remember a Boeing 707 tryng to land and making about 7 attempts....touching down then opening the throttle, circling and having another go. I suppose it was still the old runway for Lancasters in those days. It was all take offs on Saturday...we didn't see a single plane land ! Plenty of EasyJet, Monarch and Ryanair going out.
 Peaceful retirement - Mike Hannon
>>hellion<<

Nice one. I haven't come across that word since my grandfather used it to describe me.
They aren't hellions really. They got up before midday and have been making themselves pancakes for breakfast. The kitchen may be a bit sticky later.

There are only four of them altogether, not five as I thought. Amazing how they managed to impersonate thirty or so foxhounds yesterday.
Crescendo of screams just now. The cats had brought in a vole and were chewing it. The granddaughter picked up the corpse and chucked it down the loo, after asking what to do with it.

Full marks.

Sorry. This is a bit facebookish. I'll try to stop.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 19 Sep 14 at 12:26
 Peaceful retirement - J Bonington Jagworth
"a bit facebookish"

At least there aren't any photos!
 Peaceful retirement - R.P.
er...like
Perhaps I meant Twitterish. Isn't twitter the one where they go into hideously dreary detail about how they put their shoes on, stuff like that?

Anyway, that's enough nippers (ed).
 Peaceful retirement - Bromptonaut
>> Perhaps I meant Twitterish. Isn't twitter the one where they go into hideously dreary detail
>> about how they put their shoes on, stuff like that?

I've blocked the news feed of Facebook friends who do that. Avoid Twitter unless I'm following an event such as an outing by the Vulcan or a Deltic. Occasionally The Lad's musings if he's at a Festival or similar.
 Peaceful retirement - Old Navy
I have a peaceful retirement, I don't do Twitface and realise that answering phones is not compulsory as calls can be returned at my convenience.
 Peaceful retirement - J Bonington Jagworth
"calls can be returned at my convenience"

Where you can also get a bit of peace.. :-)
Latest Forum Posts