Non-motoring > Diet Drinks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 26

Diet Drinks - Skip
Being diabetic I drink diet/NAS soft drinks rather than the full fat ones. In fact I have drunk them for years even before I developed diabetes as I preferred the taste. However on the Telegraph website there is an article stating that the artificial sweeteners in them raise blood sugar levels and cause weight gain and are probably worse for you than the non diet products. I know if you listened to every warning issued about what is bad for you you would never eat or drink anything as especially one week something is good for you the next week its bad. Problem is leaving out anything with artificial sweeteners or sugar leaves water and milk ! What do other diabetics on here drink ?
 Diet Drinks - Gromit
FiL (type 2): water, orange juice, diet cola, tea, red wine. Doesn't like milk or coffee, advised to avoid beer.

Concensus seems to be that all sweetened drinks are bad for us - just in different ways. Maybe the monks of old were right when they blessed beer and wine, and told us we were better off to drink it rather than anything else :-)
 Diet Drinks - madf
I am not diabetic. I ascribe that to my choice of alcohol: gin , lots of ice and a little tonic..It's about a quintuple at a time...No nasty cholesterol as well..
 Diet Drinks - Focusless
Not saying you shouldn't be careful, but:

Seven volunteers who did not normally consume the artificial sweeteners were asked to consume very high levels of saccharin for a week – equivalent to 40 cans of diet cola a day. After just four days, most had elevated blood sugar and altered gut bacteria, mirroring the results seen in the mice.

That's a lot of diet cola.

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/11101477/Sweeteners-could-cause-obesity-scientists-warn.html
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 18 Sep 14 at 12:43
 Diet Drinks - Gromit
The more conflicting food and health advice I hear, the more I'm convinced:

- everything is moderation is good, too much of anything is bad
- only eat and drink stuff our grandparents* would recognise as food

*I might include our grandparent's generation in France or the Mediterranean countries - after all, their traditional diet and ways of life served them well.
 Diet Drinks - VxFan
>> What do other diabetics on here drink ?

Diet/Zero branded type fizzy drinks, or no added sugar squash. I don't drink that much alcohol - couple of cans a week if that.

I cannot stand Coffee, not even the smell. I occasionally have a cup of tea. No sugar, but plenty of milk.
 Diet Drinks - Ted

Diet cola or lemonade....the cheaper ones from Aldi/Lidl do for me. Beer or lager in small amounts . Drink lots of ground coffee using a litre cafetiere. Get it on-line from Farrers of Kendal. Usually get through it in a day with sweeteners. Can't do with instant.

I have a cup of tea at this time when I'm playing with the PC.

Most nights a small Scotch...with lemonade or cola. Neat gives me heartburn. Got an unopened Aldi Highland Black in the wardrobe. Anything will do with lemonade. Our tap water is first class and a cold glass of milk at lunchtime to wash me Metformin tabs down is good.
 Diet Drinks - legacylad
A work colleague, ten years younger but I am an old bottom burp, always drinks these fizzy drinks. Diet coke, diet Pepsi etc. never seen him have tea or coffee. He controls his weight by going weeks without any carbo at all.
I steer clear of red wine & spirits, although I shall drink gin if it is sufficiently warm weather, which isn't often in this climate. I stick to beer, five nights a week early doors from work, although as a contribution to sober October? I am on day three of an alcohol free diet. It won't last, but I rarely drink more than four pints on an evening. More if we have a trip to Leeds, Lancaster or Kirkby Lonsdale on the chara.
 Diet Drinks - Mapmaker
I am not diabetic, but the only fizzy drink I ever drink is champagne/other sparkling wine. I do drink tonic water, when diluted with gin.

Saccharine has always been known to be bad for you; no news there.
 Diet Drinks - Zero
All drinks that have some kind of artificial sweetener taste foul.
 Diet Drinks - Bromptonaut
>> All drinks that have some kind of artificial sweetener taste foul.

That's my take too. Aspartame can affect the brain. The one in mints and chuddy gum gives you the squits.

I was much happier with my kids drinking full sugar soft drinks, with risks to their teeth and waistlines known, than some artificial carp.

Today's 'wonder sweetener is tomorrow's health risk.

Remember Cyclamate?
 Diet Drinks - Armel Coussine
>> All drinks that have some kind of artificial sweetener taste foul.

Yes they do. Horrible.

>> >> That's my take too. Aspartame can affect the brain.

When a child I read one of those many tales about 'drugs' intended to put everyone off drugs. In the one I'm talking about, the deadly drug being trafficked by gangsters turned out to be... saccharine! The brave hero identified it by its 'intensely sweet' taste.

I asked my father what saccharine was, and he told me. Not a drug at all! The story had been crap propaganda for goddam babies!

No wonder I tried every drug I could get my hands on when I was old enough. It did me a lot more good than harm too.

I don't recommend it though. Only for the brave and smart. If it scares you, stay away. And if it doesn't, think again. Walk round it for a while at least.

Capisce?
 Diet Drinks - Crankcase
Dunno about drugs. When I was at school the local bobby came to give us a talk on heroin. Couldn't understand a word he said.
 Diet Drinks - sooty123
Thats funny, I can't drink full fat cola etc. only like the taste of the diet versions.full fat tastes strange and unpleasant suppose it depends what you are used to.
 Diet Drinks - CGNorwich
So has alcohol and sugar.
 Diet Drinks - Mapmaker
Neither alcohol nor sugar is bad for you in sensible quantities.

Diet Drinks - Crankcase
To answer the op, water, unsugared and unmilked tea or black coffee is all.
 Diet Drinks - CGNorwich
Nor are artificial sweeteners.
 Diet Drinks - Bromptonaut
>> Nor are artificial sweeteners.

Not sure about that. The risks of alcohol and sugar are well documented.

Food products today are exhaustively tested and risks such as those with aspartame and phenylketonouria identified and recorded on labels etc.

Cyclamate is history from 40 yrs ago but I'd not entirely discount a similar panic today.

For years it was thought safe to give children aspirin - then it's administration to under 12's was banned almost overnight.
 Diet Drinks - J Bonington Jagworth
I complained to Morrisons a while ago about artificial sweeteners in one of their drinks, which stated on the label that it had no artificial colours or flavourings. I got a polite reply, containing the astonishing (to me) assertion that in the world of food regulation, sweeteners are not flavourings. One is tempted to ask, if that is so, then what are they doing there, but it seemed unfair to berate Morrisons for the rule. They also mentioned that they do not use Aspartame in their own-label products, which raises some interesting questions.

Aspartame has an interesting history, having been originally banned by the FDA in the US, but which was magically given a clean bill of health shortly after Donald Rumsfeld became involved. It is so widely used now that it is quite hard to avoid, even though it tastes more of oil refinery than sugar, IMO.
 Diet Drinks - J Bonington Jagworth
"the only fizzy drink I ever drink is champagne"

Nice one, MM. Reminds me of the retired colonel who claimed that he never let water touch his lips. The lady next to him was not convinced and asked what he brushed his teeth with, to which he replied: "A light Sauternes, madam."
 Diet Drinks - WillDeBeest
Sauternes is full of sugar; champagne would have been a better choice.
}:---)

Back to the point raised by MM and added to by CGN: a Diet Coke a week isn't going to do you measurable harm any more than a proper Coke or a glass of wine at the same frequency. But there are plenty of people who drink the stuff every day. That's a problem if it's full of sugar, and it's dishonest to suggest that the problems go away if they drink the aspartamed stuff instead.

Me? Not diabetic and aiming to stay that way. Water, tea with milk, black coffee, wine, beer, gin, whisk(e)y, about two Cokes a year on days when I judge that industrial quantities of caffeine and sugar are all that will keep me awake.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 20 Sep 14 at 23:35
 Diet Drinks - CGNorwich
As far as the caffeine is concerned you would be better having a cup of coffee ore even tea. Coca Cola is not particularly highe in caffe

www.math.utah.edu/~yplee/fun/caffeine.html
 Diet Drinks - CGNorwich
If you want to get fat however Classic Coca Cola is the way to go. it contains about 11 teaspoons of sugqr per can. The diet stuff is probably the better bet.
 Diet Drinks - WillDeBeest
The only 'better bet' is to avoid both almost entirely. Neither is a good habit to get into, although you're right about the caffeine content:
www.coca-cola.co.uk/health/caffeine-in-your-can.html
 Diet Drinks - Armel Coussine
I have a weakness for sugary things, cake for breakfast and so on, but don't take sugar in coffee, seldom drink tea and have about two cans of Coca-Cola a year, usually when driving at night and dehydrated. A lot of vodka and orange though.

Caffeine doesn't really cut the mustard for me though, apart from the essential very strong morning coffee. But you can't rush about dropping speed and tooting coke at my age, more's the pity. So I am doomed to a life of sluggish, unhealthy, tobacco-addicted indecision made bearable by chronic drunkenness. It's a hard life.
 Diet Drinks - BiggerBadderDave
I gave up the proper coke about 3 or 4 years ago and changed to Zero but very rarely drink that anymore either. I like gassy mineral water with a few drops of blackcurrent juice. It's my home-made coke. Gave up Al K. Hall too 3 years ago. I will have a cold beer by the pool on holiday or a small champers at some celebration but no more sessions. One proper coffee in the morning then caffeine-free coffee for the rest of the day. Reaching mid-40s was time to try and look after my body. Crap innit?
Latest Forum Posts