Non-motoring > Calls from the US Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

Calls from the US - legacylad
Probably a rhetorical question as I stay with US friends whenever possible....years ago I bought a cheap AT & T Payg and put a new Sim in every visit with a new number. Nowadays I take my unlocked Windows phone and do the same...it has video and much better photos.
My UK contract is with orange/EE and having looked at their website think that the former option is still the way to go, given that my calls back to the UK are infrequent, and this option gives me free, or at least cheap, calls with my US friends. Would any one care to concur please?
 Calls from the US - smokie
Surely is solely dependent on your usage??

I bought a US SIM a few years back on a long trip, mainly for data, I think it was around £60 for a month unlimited. Whether I got value is questionable as free WiFi is widespread out there. I'm not sure I would do it again but then I make and receive very few calls.

I did install Viber and bought a €5 bolt on which meant I could make and receive I calls when on WiFi. That seemed a sensible option and is probably what I'd do again.

I'm with Virgin for home phone and on WiFi I can now make calls in the US on the same package as I have on my UK landline. So this year that's what I used (I extended the landline package for 24 x 7 free calls or something like, to take account of time zones).

The data requirement was primarily for phone based satnav, I now have NavFree which works offline. (Mind you, it was 4G which was pretty darn quick!)
 Calls from the US - Manatee
Short answer I don't know, but can you use Skype via wifi to make calls? £3.44 a month gets you 400 minutes to mobiles or landlines in the US, or you can PAYG from preloaded credit at 1.7p/minute, if I read it correctly.
 Calls from the US - mikeyb
What about the latest offering from Three ?

www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
 Calls from the US - legacylad
I only call home to speak to elderly relatives. Alternate days to 'check in'.
Other folks I Facetime. In the grand scheme of things putting fifty bucks, maybe less, on a new SIM is neither here nor there.
Thanks anyway for replies
 Calls from the US - Cliff Pope
I thought this thread was going to be about Obama ringing up Dave and giving him the bombing instructions for the day. :)
 Calls from the US - wokingham
Slight thread drift! IF you have an iphone there is an App called Ring Credible. One can use it to ring any telephone number anywhere for a 5p connection charge and 1p a minute, even to mobiles. The only proviso in that one must be connected to the internet, it does not use a mobile phone network.
Latest Forum Posts