Non-motoring > Don't you just hate............. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 9

Don't you just hate............. - Ted

...........today's subject....The Royal Mail ?

Got a big white envelope pushed through the door on Saturday morning. Covered in stickers from the Royal Mail. One said the RM was owed 20p postage and a quid handling charge.

I opened it to find it was my monthly job sheet and invoice to my employers for July.. Two sheets of A4 folded in half and put in an envelope...no more and very light. I'd put an 2nd class stamp on......not a priced one, just ' 2nd class '. An address sticker off a sheet of stickers all the same, and used for years, completed the ensemble.

For once, I hadn't put my own little address label on the back 'cos I'd run out of them. My office hadn't collected it from the RM office so maybe they didn't even take the trouble to drop a red notice through the door in Leeds for them to do so. My envelope had been opened by RM and sent back to me. They didn't stripe me or the office for the £1.20 !

I put my two sheets in another envelope from the same pack with the same address label and went to see me mate Ali at the Post Office. The thing slipped easily through the smaller measuring slot and he weighed it....virtually nothing. " Second class is fine " said my man from Karachi and it was duly posted !

What's up with them ? Are they just a lazy load of turds ? It must have cost more than the 20p they were fraudulently demanding, to use an A4 envelope, all the stickers and time. As for the £1 handling charge..they brought that on themselves with all the handling which was their own fault.

I think I'll EMail me stuff in future.

Rant terminated ! Grrrrrrr

Don't you just hate............. - henry k
That is cheap.
A present from a friend in Aus to my daughter had a customs charge of £8 plus £8 handling charge. Oh and a trip to the sorting office to collect it.
 Don't you just hate............. - Westpig
I had a little RM note left in my postbox a couple of weks back, advising me something had turned up without the required postage and I'd have to pay the extra and the £1 fine ...

... so I ignored it.

Still don't know what it was and don't care either.

I got a red slip a couple of years ago for one with no postage on it.

Duly went to pick it up and pay for it....

It was a sodding Chrimbo card from some double glazing firm !
 Don't you just hate............. - Gromit
In days of old, the post office used to charge the recipient for missing or inadequate postage when they delivered the letter.

Its said that one reason why they stopped was the emmigrants used to write home with no stamp on the letter. When the postman asked for payment, their next of kin would refuse - so long as letters were sent, they knew their exiles were alive (and hopefully well) wherever they'd gone.

Hence, I guess, the belief that a letter to the door was good news, but the telegram boy was bad - itf it was bad news, you'd pay up front for the telegram to make sure your relatives back home got the message.

One bouquet and one brickbat for Her Maj's Royal mail this weekend.

Just had a weekend at me mates in Cumbria.

While there, he showed me an envelope from Annecy in France addressed thus......

Mr R. B.......... (correct name)
Penrith
Royaume-Uni.

He lives in a little village about 14 miles from Penrith !

Got home on Monday to find 2 bits of junk mail and a jiffy bag sent by recorded delivery just pushed through the door with no signature.

At least I didn't have to go round to the sorting office !
 Don't you just hate............. - R.P.
I purchased a small object of desire (at a hideous price) from a fellow biker in Edinburgh last Thursday...money transferred in the blink of an eye. Sent me a text to say he'd posted it SPecial Delivery at 8.20am on Friday. Tracking said it would be with me on 3rd November (Monday) at around 1.20pm. Knock on the door at 915 on Saturday - parcel delivered in tact. That is what I call service. Generally the little I post by RM does arrive in good order and promptly.
 Don't you just hate............. - No FM2R
I was sent a package with inadequate postage.

I was required to pay;

Additional postage - £0.50
Fine - £4.00
Storage - £2.00 per day. (It was about the size of half a shoebox).

Also, they don't have a delivery schedule, they just come out when there is enough to deliver. Consequently if you, or one of your neighbours, typically gets a lot of post then you will receive stuff quite regularly, sometimes more than once per day.

However, if neither you nor your neighbours get much, you could be waiting weeks before they decide its worth coming out.

Its so unpredictable that bills, and everything here is paper bills, are not sent by post. Each company maintains a staff of motoboys to deliver them all.

A "motoboy" is a certifiable lunatic with a dramatically unroadworthy moped. Every morning I see one motoboy with a big pile of newspapers tied to the seat behind him and a pile of newspapers stacked high on his petrol tank in front of him which he holds in place with his chin.

And he wears a horse riding helmet.

Backwards.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 5 Nov 14 at 11:48
 Don't you just hate............. - Roger.
They must have taken lessons from Correos in Spain :-)
 Don't you just hate............. - Harleyman

>> What's up with them ? Are they just a lazy load of turds ?
>>
>> I think I'll EMail me stuff in future.
>>
Classic case of the law of unintended consequences in action. Presumably, an Efficiency Empowerment Co-ordination Manager (made up job title but I bet I'm not far out) decided that RM would make more money by strictly enforcing their new rules, in the hope that this would get the public used to them more quickly. Combined with frequent price hikes and the flood of junk mail over the last few years the public has now clearly had enough.

Clearly they forgot the old adage that "other methods are available"; whilst my local postie is excellent and I cannot remember the last time anything was delivered damaged, like Ted I send stuff by e-mail wherever possible these days.
Latest Forum Posts