Non-motoring > Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - R.P.
Ian Paisley gorn. Didn't come across as a nice or decent bloke with Christian principles to me but what do I know ? Donald Sinden ? not my cup of tea. No doubt I'll be corrected by AC and others !
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - Armel Coussine
>> Ian Paisley gorn. Didn't come across as a nice or decent bloke with Christian principles

Not nice exactly, but pretty decent I think. Mellowed in his later years too. As for the Christian principles, I think they were there too but you have to understand the NI context which doesn't really favour sweetness and light.

There were after all several protestant groups or movements which were to some extent in competition with each other. When I covered the province (as a hack) very briefly during the troubles, the spokesman of another group told me, accusing Ian Paisley by name, that his lot were responsible for all the sectarian shootings and murders then going on. I haven't a clue how true that was though. My interlocutor was accompanied by some heavy looking cats, but was himself a surprisingly colourful character. But no one I spoke to - even the police and army - seemed to be telling the truth. It's a slippery place and has been for hundreds of years.

I must have seen Donald Sinden in a thousand movies and TV things, but I simply can't remember his mug. Is it me, or was he one of those actors who can look like anyone if they want?
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - Boxsterboy
For some reason I really liked DS in that London Weekend TV sit-com "Two's Company" (1975-1979) with Elaine Stritch. I know I shouldn't have liked it but I did!
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - smokie
Thanks BB, been racking my brains trying to recall that one
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - J Bonington Jagworth
"can't remember his mug"

Better known for his (fruity) voice, I think, and probably spent more time on the stage than in TV studios. As with politicians, often hard to know how actors are in real life - I like to think they are mostly OK. Neither profession is terribly secure...
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - smokie
And now Dot Cotton's husband. www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29177027
As usual brilliantly captured on Radio 4.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gcfmj
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - Bromptonaut
Not heard that programme yet. Loved its earlier iteration as 'brief lives' on 5live: early doors Sunday and usually presented by the brilliantly deadpan Dottun Adebayo.

There were some revealing accounts in the segments on PM and 6 O'clock news tonight about the contradiction of Paisley the political and his Les Dawson type humour or his love for his family and his church.

Thought he was older than 88. Born 1926 puts him same age as my Mum, Mrs B's Dad and her Uncle Pete plus HM The Queen.

A vintage year.
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - BiggerBadderDave
I've never met Lud, but that's him in the first photo. That Londoner face, that coat, that age bracket - it's Lud.

tinyurl.com/o6mxttc

Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 20:08
>> That Londoner face, that coat, that age bracket - it's Lud.

Dunno who this Lud is, but I'll wager he's a damn sight better looking than that geezer. No purple grog-blossom hooter just for a start. And I feel his eyes would be on a level, not one half above the other like the tin headlights of a motorbike that's been crashed a couple of times. Just my take on it.

Dot? Do me an effin favour as the prime minister might say.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 20:31
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - Cliff Pope
>> I've never met Lud, but that's him in the first photo. That Londoner face, that
>> coat, that age bracket - it's Lud.
>>

Blimey mate, take a dekko at this geezer!
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - Zero
Paisley and Sinden, thats some double act.
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - mikeyb
I remember Sinden from the sit com "Never the Twain" Used to enjoy it, but I would have still only been a nipper when it was on. Bet it looks rubbish now.
Did anyone else know (or remember) that Ian Paisley had become Lord Bannside? I didn't.
No...
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cartoon/2014/sep/12/martin-rowson-cartoon-ian-paisley-northern-ireland-ulster-unionist
That's quite funny.
 Ian Paisiley and Donald Sinden have died... - neiltoo
I read that the minister at his funeral will ask for a minute's shout.
Intersting obit/review of life on BBCR4 yesterday:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jzg2d
 Ian Paisley and Donald Sinden have died... - Avant
I wasn't a fan of Donald Sinden's acting - I thought he overdid it a bit - but he was hugely encouraging to young aspiring actors and did a lot for theatre charities. People who met him loved him. Like Dickie Attenborough, a genuinely good man.
Latest Forum Posts