Non-motoring > Apple tree spray. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 8

Apple tree spray. - FotheringtonTomas
Where can I get a good quantity of stuff to spray on my apple trees to get rid of codling moths? I've run out of "Bifen", and getting spray seems to be impossible (unless it's in tiny, expensive amounts in "home" 750ml form).
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 19:46
 Apple spray. - Tooslow
I think you're expected to use traps these days FT and it's a bit late for them. There are chemicals available but I've not found anything licensed for domestic use.

JH
 Apple spray. - Zero
isnt there some kind of home brew you can make up?

Apple spray. - Ted

You can have some of my home brew, Fothers........a couple of glasses and you won't be bothered about moths !

Ted
 Apple spray. - Tooslow
It's added protein. Vitamin C and protein all in one, a new wonder food.

You could always make cider with 'em.

JH
 Apple spray. - FotheringtonTomas
>> It's added protein. Vitamin C and protein all in one, a new wonder food.

And frass. Bleargh, mumble, chew, spit...

>> You could always make cider with 'em.

I have considered this. I have a bit lopped of a baulk of oak that I've used as a ram to squash apples in a pail before, but it's slow going. I wonder whether there's a better way.
 Apple spray. - FotheringtonTomas
>> I think you're expected to use traps these days FT

They don't work. They are more for counting numbers to indicate when to spray.

>> There are chemicals available but I've not found anything licensed for domestic use.

I don't care about "licenced for domestic use". I just want 5L (or even 1 of concentrate) from some source, except that to have the stuff sent from Yank costs a small fortune. Yes, I know, I'm a dangerous criminal, according to the EW. Hello clouds, hello sky, hello codling moth and larvae, pssssssssssht![1]

[1]Pssssssssssht! is not intended as a rude word.
 Apple spray. - Tooslow
"I'm a dangerous criminal". Not at all, FT, you have my sympathy. You are a victim of an insane system which has removed dozens of useful chemicals from the shelves because it costs a small fortune to test them and prove that drinking a tanker load won't kill you.

I use Armillatox to kill moss in lawns. It's not cheap but per sq yard it's pretty economical. I can still buy it but the manufacturer is no longer allowed to suggest that it may be used to kill moss. If you want the dosage etc you have to read the US web site. They say it would cost £100,000 (iirc) to get it licensed for the use it has long been put to. Where's that to come from?

I don't approve of dosing out chemicals willy nilly, I'm part way organic, more say when it's producing a crop to go down my neck, but it's crazy. I'm fortunate - so far. My apples & pears are ok with no treatment but my plums have succumbed.

JH
 Apple spray. - bathtub tom
I've a couple of apple trees that have always been cursed by this. I now let them get on with it as I never found anything that was really successful. I'm currently trying nasturtiums planted at the base, but that doesn't seem to work either!
Latest Forum Posts