Non-motoring > iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 47

iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Crankcase
Assumption is you've either just seen the live launch of this kit, have read about it, or are about to...

Well, the Apple Pay thing seems interesting, but not sure about the security aspect of it. If you have to get to find my iphone to cancel it if it gets nicked, there could be a long gap while it's being used.

The Apple watch has some interesting features, but who really wants to send their heartbeat to anyone else? Weird idea. Kind of interesting but not falling about to get one.

And the iPhone 6 is just more of the same, other than the contactless payment bit as above really.

Could have done without U2 as well to be honest, free album or not.

So, now we know all the details, who is plunging for any of this kit?

iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Bromptonaut
I just don't see the point in Apple kit. What little it does that Windows PC and Android phone/tablet cannot is simply not worth the price premium.

The I-Player may have more utility but again my Sony MP3/WMA player does all I want and without fancy proprietary connectors.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Zero
>> I just don't see the point in Apple kit. What little it does that Windows
>> PC and Android phone/tablet cannot is simply not worth the price premium.

You only need to use it to realise the why. My Macbook Air is the most beautifully constructed piece of kit I have ever used.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - R.P.
I agree with Zero. Using my 5.5 year old MacBookPro to write this - works as well as it did out of the box - replaced two batteries in that time. Seamless updating - makes the HP kit I have in work look and feel like something out of the ark.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Stuartli
My HTC One M8 is an equally beautifully constructed product and is a pleasure to use.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - rtj70
My Macbook Pro Retina 13" is so well made and nice to use. Excellent display, keyboard etc. Replacing a battery won't be easy - there's multiple battery packs/cells in it.

My iMac 20" 2009 model is still a nice machine to use as well.

And my phone, an HTC One (M7) - Apple would be proud if this was their design.

>>
>> So, now we know all the details, who is plunging for any of this kit?

No compelling reason to move from my iPhone 4
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Roger.
I'm happy with my Doro mobile with big buttons and loud volume. It runs on a GiffGaff PAYG sim and has been turned on twice this month and not at all, last month.
Very economical! :-)
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Ted

I'm with ^this^ geeza.

My Doro is switched on all the time in case the office want me to go out. The charger is on my bedside table. This model takes piccies as well 'cos I have to snap a damaged tyre or a bit of bodywork occasionally ......but that's the only extra I need. I like the big buttons and loudspeaker like Roger. My bill is a tenner a month...and the firm coughs that up.

Horses for corsets....as they say
>>HTC_UK

HTC UK Happy To Congratulate #Apple on joining the world of big screens! t.co/7nLUYAr4Nd About three hours ago via Twitter >>

Message from HTC to the Apple launch this teatime.....:-)
>> >>HTC_UK
>>
>> HTC UK Happy To Congratulate #Apple on joining the world of big screens! t.co/7nLUYAr4Nd About
>> three hours ago via Twitter >>
>>
>> Message from HTC to the Apple launch this teatime.....:-)

Don't think that will restore HTC's market share that has fallen through the floor in the last three years.
>>Don't think that will restore HTC's market share that has fallen through the floor in the last three years. >>

It is a shame about HTC's decreasing sales as they do produce some superb phones.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - MD
Never again will I darken Ann Droid's door again. Should've listened to Chuff Chuff yonks ago.
Ann Droid! LOL

Very good there Jerry.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 10 Sep 14 at 07:48
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - rtj70
Anyone listened to all of the free (new) U2 album on iTunes yet?
Anyone listened to all of the free (new) U2 album on iTunes yet?

Not my cup of tea.
>> Anyone listened to all of the free (new) U2 album on iTunes yet?

Not surprised they gave it away, can't see anyone buying it.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Armel Coussine
>> Not surprised they gave it away, can't see anyone buying it.

No, it's a free new me-too U2 album...
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - ....
>> It is a shame about HTC's decreasing sales as they do produce some superb phones.
>>
I've had three different HTC phones, the first a Wildfire S was very good only my need for more power made me upgrade to a V which my wife now has and my current X+.
The X+ is very Beta.

Every update HTC made to the X+ OS made the phone that little bit worse to the point I rooted it to get out. The last straw was the Music app working or not working depending on whether the screen was in portrait or landscape mode with BT and my car.

I can't justify spending the wrong side of £500 on a phone though I find I hardly ever use my netbook now. It's either my phone or my PC. PC has the power when I need it, phone has speed on its side over my netbook for browsing. By the time I find, boot up the netbook, wade through the updates I could have done whatever it was on my phone.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 14:36
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Boxsterboy

>> No compelling reason to move from my iPhone 4
>>

Same here, except it's playing up. And the latest iOS update requires so much storage to install it that I can't without deleting my music and then reloading it again afterwards, which I can't be bothered to do.

I don't want a big phone (the 5 is really too big for me) and so when my 4 does die I fear I will have no choice but to go Android. At least there is a far wider choice of handsets there.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Crankcase
Already with the parodies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioL7MRQvHM
www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29157217

Here's how to get rid of Bonehead's dreadful wailings from your iThingy if you want to.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - zippy
I tend to buy PCs and end up regretting it.

I have a Dell i7 tablet / notebook with a SSD drive and 8gb ram that cost £1,300 and I reckon my Apple Ipad Air is more reliable, doesn't crash like the Dell and is easier to use and just as fast.

Obviously when I need to number crunch then the Dell is the way to go but I could do that on rented cloud based services and save a fortune.

The only advantage that the Dell has is a built in keyboard but one can easily be added to the Air.

My phone is a Nokia 920 Windows 8.1 phone which worked fine after the "Black" upgrade was pushed to it last year (when on Windows 8.0) but since the automatic upgrade to 8.1 it has become more flaky, hanging at least once every two days.

If the price plans come in right, I may change to the Apple Phone.

My watches vary regularly depending on mood. Sometimes I wear the Omega Sea Master Planet Ocean (my fave), the Seiko, Citizen or Casio.

I suppose the advantage with the iWatch is the face could be changed every day but I don't see the advantage yet. I buy a new "fun" watch every year of so (trying to keep the cost to <£100).

iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - DP
The iPhone is no different to the latest model of any other manufacturer's phone. It's a release driven by market expectations rather than a new feature or benefit.

I normally prepare for an onslaught of gushing nonsense from my iPhone owning friends at the release of a new model, but it's all very "meh" this time around.

The next thing that will make me get excited about a smartphone is the 5 day battery life I got from a Nokia 3210 about 15 years ago. I cannot think of a single other thing I want a smartphone to do, or another quality that I want it to have, that a model released 2 years ago doesn't have. I can eke two days out of my Galaxy S5 unless I really hammer it, but it's still woefully short of what millennium era phones delivered.
Last edited by: DP on Sat 13 Sep 14 at 17:44
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - zippy
With contracts running at about £50 per month plus a contribution to the cost of the phone the iPhone 6 looks expensive. I did like the look of one but it is just too expensive at the moment.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Runfer D'Hills
I have an iPhone 5s. It has 4 "Gs" apparently. I gather this is a good thing. Not sure if I've ever used any Gs though. It is good for emailing on the move but it is no more than a bit crap as a phone. Needs charging a lot more and doesn't seem to get as good a signal as my old BlackBerry.
>> With contracts running at about £50 per month plus a contribution to the cost of
>> the phone the iPhone 6 looks expensive.

Wot? you is being ripped off man. I can upgrade for 43 quid a month and no upfront cost
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - MD
I pay £15.00 + v.a.t per month for unlimited everything. Sim only of course, but with business back up. (Orange).
Last edited by: MD on Sat 13 Sep 14 at 21:27
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Mapmaker
I might. Or I might go for a 5S. But my current one (a 4S):

1. The 3G gums up if there are more than a couple of apps open; which is just silly.

2. I have just come back from Spain. I bought myself a 200MB-lasts-one-week add-on. The iPhone whilst just sitting on a table went through this data at the rate of 10MB an hour without any obvious reason. It wasn't emails downloading; I'm at a loss to think what else would call this.

I'm just out of contract (was on Orange) so now need to find out if the 3G has the same problem in the UK - but this means getting their new app, in working condition, onto my phone. Grrr!
snipquote!

>> I'm just out of contract (was on Orange) so now need to find out if
>> the 3G has the same problem in the UK - but this means getting their
>> new app, in working condition, onto my phone. Grrr!

If you back up your new iPhone 5s ro new 6 with the same apps you have now and set them up the same way, the same thing will happen.

There is an app, open all the time clearly, that is gobbling up network. Don't blame the phone.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 18 Sep 14 at 21:38
OK. So how do I find out which?
List the apps you have added on here
Hang on... we've been here before about 18 months ago. I think I have Onavo Count somewhere; I'll get it up and running. Last time it ended up with Apple telling me my phone was faulty and giving me a new one which solved the problem.
Here they are:

Daily Telegraph
Met Office
Spotify
Google Maps
Facebook
Facebook messenger
Google translate
Art Guide
Puffin Free Web Browser
Amazon
SysStatsLite
Kindle
Snapchat
Airbnb
My EE
Kabbee
Hailo
Uber
Addison Lee
Bus Times
Citymapper
Skyscanner
Eurostar
Hotels.com
Stannp
Gites de France
Google Earth
eBay
RunKeeper
OpenTable
Winesearcher
RedLaser
Blogger
Addison Lee
Lookout
Newsstand
Onavo Count
Onavo Extend
Ski Tracks
Instagram
Greentomato
iPlayer Radio
Christie's
HSBC
Zoopla
Amazon Music
Photosynth
Philips Digital Radio
TopCashBack
National Trust

It certainly doesn't eat data at the rate of 10MB per hour in the UK, but it's somehow eating 30MB per day.

Onavo Count records the following usage since last Thursday:

The Telegraph 18MB
Safari 15MB
Web 15MB (Is this different from Safari?)
Exchange Mail 11MB (What happens to Hotmail?)
Apple Services 7MB (Whatever is this for?)
Onavo Count 4MB
iTunes/AppStore 2MB (Seriously?)
Google Maps 2MB
Facebook Messenger 1.5MB (Wow that's thirsty.)
Met Office 1MB
Apple Services 1MB (Whatever this is)
Citymapper 1MB
Video/Audio 1MB
Facebook 0.2MB
Ads 0.2MB
Spotify 0,1MB
"You have also used 2 other apps lightly totalling 40MB. They will be added to the list above if used more." (This is bizarre. Half the internet usage is attributable to two apps that Onavo thinks don't count.)

Oh yes, and email is set up only to download when opened. It doesn't push.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 24 Sep 14 at 12:03
Any thoughts, Zero?

I haven't really been out of WiFi in the last 24 hours (apart from overnight as my bedroom is beyond the house's WiFi reach). And I haven't really used the iPhone for anything away from WiFi. The only thing to have changed is "You have also used 2 other apps lightly totalling 50MB."

I'm guessing that it must be some sort of system app?

Surprise this morning. I have been given an extra approx 500MB of data by EE. I also have not (yet?) been charged for the 150MB that I bought when abroad - that disappeared at the rate of 10MB per hour if the 3G was turned on.

Weird or what? I'll turn the 'mobile' data back on and see what happens.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - No FM2R
I don't know much about Apple.

However, on an Android there can be a substantial difference between what the Android thinks its used and what the M(V)NO thinks its used. In my experience the phone almost always thinks its used more, and sometimes substantially more.
These were the operator's numbers, not the phone's. I have, incidentally, now been charged for the overseas use - well after the 48 hours they say it may take to reach the bill.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - No FM2R
I don't know then, but funnily enough just this morning my wife has complained that her iPhone has just done the same and swallowed 600mb.

I shall be expected to come up with an answer this evening, if its relevant I'll share.
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Focusless
Doh!
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29275039
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Roger.
b***** loons

tinyurl.com/pbrzsdw
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - WillDeBeest
"I'm getting a very wonderful feeling of success and victory," said Mr Sheikh as he emerged with his new phones. "Last year I queued for almost seven nights and every morning the manager used to come and announce 'Sorry, we don't have any gold phones in stock' and I felt like a loser. But now I am feeling that on the first day I am one of the first people who is getting the gold in his hand, so I'm feeling very excited, very contended.[sic]"

I can just about understand queueing that long for something that might change my life. But for a marginal improvement on what I already have? Who's the loser now?
(Sent from my 18-month-old 4S)
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - Old Navy
Impressive build quality, do they still work?

tinyurl.com/ov5khk5
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - diddy1234
but will it blend instead of bend ?
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - DP
One thing you can be sure of. It will be the users fault, just like the signal issues on the iPhone 4. Only its hard to say how a firmware (or strategically placed sticky-tape) bodge is going to hide this one.

Mind you, the fans are already doing the job for them. According to a few Apple fan sites this morning, it's to be expected. That's what you get when you make a phone out of aloominum....duh! Don't put it in your pocket....

Staggering.

Last edited by: DP on Wed 24 Sep 14 at 13:50
>> One thing you can be sure of. It will be the users fault, just like
>> the signal issues on the iPhone 4. Only its hard to say how a firmware
>> (or strategically placed sticky-tape) bodge is going to hide this one.
>>
>> Mind you, the fans are already doing the job for them. According to a few
>> Apple fan sites this morning, it's to be expected. That's what you get when you
>> make a phone out of aloominum....duh! Don't put it in your pocket....
>>
>> Staggering.

Hold on, it is the iPhone 6 plus which is the BIG one, why the hell would you put that in your trousers pocket? More to the point HOW do you put that in your pocket and then sit down?
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - diddy1234
I could with my Lenovo 7inch phablet... just about. lol
 iPhone 6 and Apple Watch will you won't you - VxFan
Some people are so gullible. Tell someone on the net that you can recharge an iPhone6 with a microwave using a new feature in iOS 8 called 'WAVE' and they'll believe you.

uk.pcmag.com/news/35991/guess-what-you-cant-charge-your-iphone-in-the-micr

It's almost as bad as the previous hoax of them being waterproof after updating to iOS7.

Latest Forum Posts