Non-motoring > Aqualisa spare part - Just file it to fit! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 5

Aqualisa spare part - Just file it to fit! - henry k
I have an old Aqualisa thermostatic shower.

Yet again I have had to replace the thermostatic cartridge so I am familiar with changing the £100 unit .

The latest one is too large a diameter to fit.
Aqualisa respond that" the size has not changed" - Cobblers!
I have measured the old and the new one with digital calipers.
"We have not had this reported before so it cannot be a problem."
I can imagine the local plumber cursing and taking a file to the unit and NOT reporting the situation.

Their instructions are to "sand it down!"
I will have to file it down all round its circumference. "You will not see this part of the unit when it is installed"

I have had several "conversations" with them. They will not budge from their "sand it down" stance.
Customer service????
I am now stuck with making it fit but I will send my comments to the CEO .

My obvious response is ......What a shower they are.!!!!

In my experience it seems to be a trend that large companies seem to be getting worse at dealing with problems and saying the public are wrong to complain.

Rant over.
 Aqualisa spare part - Just file it to fit! - Zero

>> Rant over.

Been there, don't that several times. The design DOES change. In the end I gave up and replaced the thermostatic cartridge with a manual one.

Its now leaking, so I am planning to change the whole lot with one of the on the wall jobies (mine is behind the wall) . Lot of work - tile removal, cutting out board behind for access, plumbing, sealing, Tiling!

Sigh
 Aqualisa spare part - Just file it to fit! - sherlock47
Hidden shower mixers - learnt that lesson 20 years ago. All showers now surface mounted. If you have mains pressure the 20€ ones are just as good as anything else!

I had an Aqualisa 25 years ago - never again.
 Aqualisa spare part - Just file it to fit! - Stuartli
I also have an Aqualisa shower unit which uses a thermostatic cylinder. It's a brilliant product which has worked very well with first a multi-valve heater and then a combo boiler without any form of power being required.

However, the cylinder had to be replaced after about 10 years as the hard water in my area meant the limescale gradually built up and it would not work properly. It took a considerable time to remove it (had to drift it out eventually) and a replacement unit was fitted (nowhere near a cost of £100 though!).

This suffered from a similar demise over time so I now temporarily turn down the heat setting control on the combo boiler when having a shower to ensure the water doesn't get too hot.
 Aqualisa spare part - Just file it to fit! - Zero
>> I also have an Aqualisa shower unit which uses a thermostatic cylinder. It's a brilliant
>> product which has worked very well with first a multi-valve heater and then a combo
>> boiler without any form of power being required.
>>
>> However, the cylinder had to be replaced after about 10 years as the hard water
>> in my area meant the limescale gradually built up and it would not work properly.
>> It took a considerable time to remove it (had to drift it out eventually) and
>> a replacement unit was fitted (nowhere near a cost of £100 though!).
>>
>> This suffered from a similar demise over time so I now temporarily turn down the
>> heat setting control on the combo boiler when having a shower to ensure the water
>> doesn't get too hot.

I am bemused, how on one hand can you say it is a brilliant bit of kit, and then on the other hand tell us its gone wrong twice, is a plain in the ass to fix, and now you have fiddle around with the system to stop it going wrong again?
 Aqualisa spare part - Just file it to fit! - Stuartli
>>I am bemused, how on one hand can you say it is a brilliant bit of kit, and then on the other hand tell us its gone wrong twice, is a plain in the ass to fix, and now you have fiddle around with the system to stop it going wrong again?>>

Nothing to be bemused about. When originally acquired we had particularly hard water in our area and the limescale build-up in the cylinder eventually meant that the water flow became restricted. A new cylinder was fitted and this has lasted much longer as the limescale build-up has been much slower due to United Utilities mixing in softer water from the River Dee to our supply.

The same goes for electric kettles - used to have to be descaled on a very regular basis, but now only around every two or three months.

There is no doubt that the Aqualisa shower I have is first class, especially as British Gas said at the time it was bought that it would need to be used with a "power boost" to ensure a proper flow, but this never proved the case.

It's the conditions under which it is (was originally) used that have had to be overcome. Interestingly, quite a few hotels I've stayed in over the years have featured a cheaper version of the Aqualisa unit (mine cost more than £300 when bought from a builders' merchants for a new bathroom and in-built shower unit).
Latest Forum Posts