Non-motoring > Meanwhile, in Africa... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 5

Meanwhile, in Africa... - Ian (Cape Town)
Eight people cutting up a dead hippopotamus were killed and 12 injured when a pickup truck hit them on the Old Constantia Road in Tzaneen, Limpopo, paramedics said on Sunday.

According to witnesses, the group of had been cutting up the carcass when they were struck on Saturday night, ER24 spokesman Russel Meiring said.

The hippopotamus had apparently been hit and killed by a truck earlier in the evening.

The injuries ranged from moderate to critical.
 Meanwhile, in Africa... - Armel Coussine
I've never tried hippo and I don't think I would now. I'm told though that backwoods African foodies like it very gamey indeed - pretty well rotten actually. No doubt it's a bit tough when fresh.
 Meanwhile, in Africa... - wokingham
Carnage - there must have been people killed in the bus that hit the hippo and the pick up that hit the butchers, as well.
Last edited by: wokingham on Sun 7 Sep 14 at 13:53
>> must have been people killed in the bus that hit the hippo and the pick up that hit the butchers, as well.

Is it indelicate to suggest that in the depths of the Congo some of them might have ended up being eaten too? Perhaps it is. So I won't suggest it.
 Meanwhile, in Africa... - Ian (Cape Town)
Italian Style? In the Congo? Never ....
I haven't tried "bushmeat".
But it has been offered.
It's true though that Joseph Conrad and earlier travellers gave somewhat highly-coloured versions of what they had seen.

I've eaten one or two odd things but nothing really outlandish. Fried peppered snails, things like that. No ape or civet cat to my knowledge. I wouldn't eat a grub or insect or arachnid unless it came out of the sea, although locust bread must be highly nutritious...
Latest Forum Posts