Non-motoring > EU slug menace hits Norfolk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 22

EU slug menace hits Norfolk - CGNorwich

Anyone else having trouble with Spanish slugs. Found at least two dozen of the wretched things in my garden today

www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norwich_experts_call_for_help_with_research_into_invasion_of_killer_slugs_1_3760154
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Skip
>>
>> Anyone else having trouble with Spanish slugs. Found at least two dozen of the wretched
>> things in my garden today

I have them in my garden in Rochester together with about 3000 of the "normal" ones. Have never seen so many as there are this year.
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 20:04
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Bromptonaut
b***** foreign slugs coming over here and eating our lettuces!
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Zero
>> b***** foreign slugs coming over here and eating our lettuces!

I'm waiting for the inevitable youtube link to some UKIP Imam pronouncing a fatwa on euro slugs.
>> >> b***** foreign slugs coming over here and eating our lettuces!
>>
>> I'm waiting for the inevitable youtube link to some UKIP Imam pronouncing a fatwa on
>> euro slugs.

OOppps looks like I stole the Norfolk boi's lines. Teach me to read all the posts before I spout forth.
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Armel Coussine
Dunno where they're from, but we have a lot of slugs.

Wake up Mrs Tiggywinkle! Go forth and, er, multiply! I'm not eating the damn things. Bad enough treading on them in the dark.
Actually Mrs Tiggywinkle and her ilk don't really like to eats slugs. Don't blame her really.

What's UKIP's stance on this latest wave of illegal immigrants. I'm personally declaring a Fatwah on them ( the slugs that is).

EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Runfer D'Hills
We used to live in house which had a sort of metal lattice mini cattle grid thing immediately outside the back door to encourage rainwater to drain away.

Anyway, I have a habit of padding about barefoot and some mornings when nipping out to the garden for something I'd inadvertently tread on a slug and sort of sieve it through the grid. Not nice. Once did that to a frog too ( not deliberately )

Snails hurt though.
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Videodoctor
Can somebody tell me what this has got to do with a motoring forum?

Turbo slugs prehaps?
Yep sorry should have been posted on the slug chat forum.

www.slugoff.co.uk/forum/
Dave the mod needs to salt it out
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 22:28
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Ted

I don't fink they've got this far oop Noorth yet. I seem to have sorted the slug/snail probby here by finding out what they don't eat and planting only that stuff.....Antirrhi sod it , Snapdragons, Begonias and the like. Absolutely no Hostas !

I'm sure that the ' pebbling ' of the flower beds round all the bushes and perennials has helped as well.

My youngest once trod on one of the big orange ones barefoot and it all squidged up between her toes...........she's still got a phobia about them !
You should see the Roman Snails we have in the Surrey Hills. Huge great almost prehistoric things.
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Mike Hannon
We've always had slugs like that here in SW France. After 12 years we are still alive, the garden is still here and armageddon hasn't happened.
Didn't the 'silly season' used to end on August 31?
Motoring link

The Mirror brings us the alarming news:

"Other countries affected by the slug – Latin name Arion vulgaris – include Sweden and Norway where their slime became a skid hazard on roads."

Should we be looking for slug tyres?
Slug chains?
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Armel Coussine
I've posted before about the roads in 1940s Ceylon literally covered with migrating or mating small frogs at a certain time of year. They must have been a bit slippery too, especialy as they migrated when it was raining I think. Their impacted remains had to be hosed out of the car's wings.

Can't help wondering if it's still like that there. I would hope so, but after decades of global agribusiness with its systematic poisoning of everything not immediately saleable I wouldn't really expect it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 7 Sep 14 at 15:30
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - VxFan
>> Dave the mod needs to salt it out

Now salted. Sorry for being a bit sluggish.
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Pat
I found a pink one dead in the pond yesterday...can slugs drown?

Pat
>>can slugs drown?

Oh yes.
The dozens I put in a bucket of water did.
 EU slug menace hits Norfolk - Cliff Pope
Where's L'escargot, the spokesman for the slug and snail community?
I hate to say it, but I suspect he is floating upside down in a Norwich bucket.
Latest Forum Posts