Non-motoring > Another vanished product Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 62

Another vanished product - Crankcase
Sigh. Been looking on and off in the supermarkets for some time now for Heinz potato salad in a tin with no success. Finally thought about it sufficiently to check on t'webs, and they've blinking discontinued it.

What with no Findus Crispy Pancakes any more either, at this rate it's going to be impossible to put together a seriously unhealthy crappy meal.

And you tell that to the young people in the supermarkets today, and they look at you oddly, maintain eye contact and walk slowly towards the alarm.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 5 Sep 14 at 18:50
 Another vanished product - Zero

>> on t'webs, and they've blinking discontinued it.

Thank god for that! Slime in a tin.

>> What with no Findus Crispy Pancakes any more either,

Now that is an issue I agree, however you need to think outside the tin, try looking in the fancy food section in Waitrose for Spanish "pastillas"
Slime in a tin. Now that I'd buy.

Actually, I once had an adventure in the Polish section of Tesco, and one mystery item, tried immediately in the carpark, was indeed pretty much that. I have no idea what it was but I did notice the bin melted as I walked away.

Well, at least you can still get Pek luncheon meat in a little unopenable tin, although now I come to think of it I'm not sure I've seen tinned cream recently either.

Another vanished product - Armel Coussine
You can make your own with some overcooked chopped boiled potatoes, a bit of chopped onion, cucumber, chives and so on, and salad cream. I have salad cream but everyone else here calls me a prole for it. So they don't eat it and I always know how much there is.

Probably they are Hellmans Mayonnaise freaks.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 5 Sep 14 at 19:08
Do you know, I might just try that, AC. Nor sure about zeros Spanish pastilles though. No idea what they are.

Another vanished product - Bromptonaut
On positive side Nestle/Carnation* tinned cream has re-appeared on the nations shelves. Delicious with porage, Shredded Wheat and plenty other breakfast cereals.

*Somebody here, possibly Manatee, remembers this stuff as Plumrose cream.
 Another vanished product - Dutchie
My mother used to make potato salad.I've never bothered easy to make mayonese or saladcream will do with potatoes.
 Another vanished product - Manatee

>> *Somebody here, possibly Manatee, remembers this stuff as Plumrose cream.

Correct! Lovely stuff.
 Another vanished product - Old Navy
Can you still get cans of Fussels condensed milk?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 5 Sep 14 at 20:00
>> Can you still get cans of Fussels condensed milk?

No, another Nestle victim

The sell carnation condensed milk but I don't think its sweetened like fusels was
>> >> Can you still get cans of Fussels condensed milk?
>>
>> No, another Nestle victim
>>
>>
>> The sell carnation condensed milk but I don't think its sweetened like fusels was

I thought condensed milk was all the same, heavily sweetened. Not to be confused with evaporated, a product more synonymous with Carnation. Only in recent years have I seen Carnation condensed, sometimes in squeezy tubes.
 Another vanished product - Stuartli
>>Only in recent years have I seen Carnation condensed, sometimes in squeezy tubes.>>

Carnation condensed milk has been readily available for as long as I can remember - have several recently bought tins from Tesco and Home Bargains in the food cupboard. Delicious on tinned fruit, strawberries etc.
 Another vanished product - henry k
>> Carnation condensed milk has been readily available for as long as I can remember -
>>Delicious on tinned fruit, strawberries etc.
>>
What about condensed milk sandwiches ?

I got used to condensed milk in tea. It was standard issue many moons ago in Saudi. :-)
>> >>Only in recent years have I seen Carnation condensed, sometimes in squeezy tubes.>>
>>
>> Carnation condensed milk has been readily available for as long as I can remember -
>> have several recently bought tins from Tesco and Home Bargains in the food cupboard. Delicious
>> on tinned fruit, strawberries etc.

Are you sure you don't mean the evaporated? Condensed sounds revolting on tinned fruit.
>> Fussels condensed milk?

Heh heh... different from the other stuff... I bet it doesn't exist any more.
Ah, Now that Fussels, that be vanished this last ten years, it be. Used to have that on bread we did.

Anybody nostalgic for tinned snoek? Didn't think so.
Mum used Fussels condensed milk as part of a recipe for lemon meringue pie.

IIRC it was latterly a Nestle brand so presumably subsumed into the Carnation range. Now available in caramel and other versions as well as plain.

As observed evap was different, ordinary milk but concentrated - a few drops enough for tea.

Condensed in tubes was good for adding to coffee when camping.
 Another vanished product - wokingham
I used to use Fussels as an ingredient for home-made fudge, Fussels, butter and sugar; didn't even need to weight the ingredients! Pack of butter, tin of milk, Ilb bag of sugar, job jobbed!
 Another vanished product - Boxsterboy
Nestlé do a tinned product called Tip Top which is skimmed milk with vegetable fat, to be used as topping on deserts or in coffee which was what my mate used it for. I found it disgusting, but might it satisfy Crankcase?
 Another vanished product - sooty123
I think I must be odd, I don't like mayonnaise, salad cream or potato salad. It's all slimey gloop to me. Most people seem to hoover that stuff, maybe it's just me.
 Another vanished product - R.P.
Home Bargains can be good place to pick up some forgotten brands....er..so I'm told of course
HB do jars of Tuna in olive oil, (I am also told), excellent in sandwiches with a little Mayo and black pepper.
>> HB do jars of Tuna in olive oil, (I am also told), excellent in sandwiches
>> with a little Mayo and black pepper.

Indeed, Tuna mayo, a classic.

Tin of sardines in oil, drained, mashed up with pepper and lemon juice, spread on on toast and flash grilled.
>> HB do jars of Tuna in olive oil, (I am also told), excellent in sandwiches with a little Mayo and black pepper.>>

Morrisons sell their own brand tinned sardines in olive oil as well as a choice of the usual tomatoes etc. Home Bargains are almost always the cheapest for Princes round tinned tuna - a four pack is usually £2.49. Know this as I eat a lot of oily type fish
 Another vanished product - PhilW
"I have salad cream but everyone else here calls me a prole for it"
Not me AC.
Best sandwich possible is sliced white (Mother's Pride?) bread, thick layer of butter or marge, thick layer of cold mashed potato, sliced (raw) onion with a generous layer of salad cream on top. Preferably after a good few pints of bitter.
Come to think of it - how about a generous portion of chips with salad cream as a dip?
And as for Sandwich Spread - bit sophisticated for me!
You can't beat healthy eating!
All dese ting is sent to tempt we...
 Another vanished product - CGNorwich
They ain't tempting me. Feel a bit queasy after reading this thread. You are all joking aren't you.. You don't really eat that stuff.
 Another vanished product - Cliff Pope
My mother was a lifelong devotee of tinned potato salad. In her dotage it was one of the things she used to over-order in large quantities. When the stock finally ran down she kept nagging me to get some more. That's when I found, thankfully, it had been discontinued.

On of my fantasies is to run a museum of discontinued products, or products in their original bottles or packaging. Thus HP sauce in a proper Big Ben proportioned glass jar, and Germolene in a flat pinky-yellow tin.
Germoline? Don't you mean Glenmorangie in a glass bottle? :)
 Another vanished product - Ted

Germoline ??

Wasn'r she some ugly Australian feminist type ?
>>
>> Germoline ??
>>
>> Wasn'r she some ugly Australian feminist type ?

Not so bad looking in her youth Ted. Rumoured to have de-flowered Richard Ingrams in the lavvy compartment of a moving train.
 Another vanished product - Runfer D'Hills
Have to at least postulate that there may just be a connection between the requirement for the use of Germoline up the jacksie and the consumption of some of the aforementioned concoctions.

Sheesh
>> Have to at least postulate that there may just be a connection between the requirement
>> for the use of Germoline up the jacksie and the consumption of some of the
>> aforementioned concoctions.
>>
>> Sheesh >>

Perhaps less postulating and the use of the real product (Germolene) might prove more satisfying? :-)
The museum idea is basically what Robert Opie did. And much of his collection is now at

www.museumofbrands.com

If you want go and see it. Something for everyone and a good day out.
>> Sigh. Been looking on and off in the supermarkets for some time now for Heinz
>> potato salad in a tin with no success. Finally thought about it sufficiently to check
>> on t'webs, and they've blinking discontinued it.
>>
>>An alternative - if you are quick.
Remember Green Wednesday.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paper-Label-Monarch-Potato-Salad-tin-lot-pair-15lbs-HUGE-restaurant-container-/350953253902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b671ac0e
I love it. I'd buy it but it says "no whiners".

Talking of old food, if you've not seen Ashens do his Youtube videos of eating expired food, well, you might enjoy them.

Here's one. He also does things like Poundland Full Breakfast in a tin, so we don't have to.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWoFReY1j0
Moving away from food two others lost in action seem to be TCP Ointment and Syndol tension headache pills.

Nothing better than the ointment for soothing piles and other discomfort of the anal sphincter. No replacement found so far.

Syndol however can be 'home brewed' using Co-Codamol and a US off prescription sleep tablet marketed as Sleep Aid which contain same relaxant - doxylamine succinate (Biovea website is cheapest source in UK) .

If you want haute kwizzeen....I used to take the caravan to a local steam rally with the Jowett.
Latterly, me mate from the Wirral used to bunk in with me. I always used to make meself a nice pasta and enjoying a bottle of wine 'til Ray abandoned his tent.

He always used to say he'd brought along a treat for Saturday and produced a meal of boiled potatos with 2 tins of some ersatz sloppy meat stuff called Stag. Ugh in spades !

I needed the wine........no wonder he was sectioned a couple of years ago...eating that stuff !

Another one gone is Locan ointment...Also ideal for Bromp's itchy nipsy....or anywhere else !
>>Also ideal for Bromp's itchy nipsy....
>>

I just knew that all that bike riding did you no good.
I used to share a student flat with a guy who, when it was his turn to cook, would serve his interpretation of spaghetti bolognese which consisted of a tin of chopped tomatoes with a tin of corned beef mashed in, heated and lobbed over the re-hydrated contents of a Pot Noodle.

It needed quite a lot of black pepper and Parmesan. Ok if served post at least the second bottle of Bull's Blood if I recall correctly. Not more than ok even then though.
 Another vanished product - Kevin
>..a tin of chopped tomatoes with a tin of corned beef mashed in, heated and lobbed over the re-hydrated
>contents of a Pot Noodle.

Yeuch! No baked beans?

>> tin
>> of chopped tomatoes with a tin of corned beef mashed in, heated and lobbed over
>> the re-hydrated contents of a Pot Noodle.
>>

Actually as student cooking goes that sounds pretty Gourmet.
Rinstead pastilles.
Listed online but always out of stock.

Horlicks tablets are still available
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horlicks-Tablets-Sweets-Malties-Remember-From-Childhood-Next-Day-Delivery-/161398898130?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
or from Hong Kong

I used to get a lot of mouth ulcers as a teenager but never found Rinsteads any good. Someone put me on to Phenate of Soda solution, marketed in a brown bottle as Phenoda. Not to be swallowed, I think that's gone as well. I don't get ulcers or headaches now but the odd toothache is dealt with by a mouthwash of neat Austrian red rum..Stroh 80% proof. Available on Amazon if not in the off-licence.

I must ask my pharmacist about the Phenate in case the grandnippaz start with mouth problems.
All this doom and gloom about disappeared products, just en grateful we can still get........

Angel Delight!
 Another vanished product - Skip
Can you still get Dream Topping ? My mum used to buy it, presumably as a substitute for cream. I hated it !
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 08:16
Humph. Not bubblegum flavour Angel Delight you can't. I shall look out for Tip Top though. Sounds brilliant.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 08:20
I made the mistake of saying how much I liked butterscotch flavoured Angel Delight when I was 12. By the time I was 14 My preferences had moved on but it took me until I was 35 to persuade my mother that I didn't want it, or some other version of the ghastly stuff every time I visited her.
I know what you mean. For two pins and if she were capable I reckon my mother would still serve me a complete slightly undercooked lamb's heart on a plate, just as she did 45 years ago...

Another vanished product - CGNorwich
Surely this thread has dispersed any lingering nostalgia for the 1950s at least as far as food is concerned.
I know I'm drifting way off topic but it doesn't seem worthy of opening another thread for such a passing thought. I've been in Italy for a week working which is something I do two or three times a year and have for many years but I never cease to be surprised at how consistently good the food is even in the most basic of cafés.

The other night, I pulled into an Italian motorway services and being on my own, tired and hungry, decided just to grab something to eat there. The food was excellent and two delightful courses with water and coffee came to €11.

Going to Ireland tomorrow where they have a rather different way of thinking on the subject mainly in the form of "never mind the quality feel the width".

Never seen portions like it this side of the Atlantic.

;-)
>> The other night, I pulled into an Italian motorway services and being on my own,
>> tired and hungry, decided just to grab something to eat there. The food was excellent
>> and two delightful courses with water and coffee came to €11.
>>

I was in Italy (North and central areas) recently, I agree about the quality of the food and particularly the motorway service areas. It reinforced my desire to avoid UK MSAs like the plague.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 09:27
>> I know what you mean. For two pins and if she were capable I reckon
>> my mother would still serve me a complete slightly undercooked lamb's heart on a plate,
>> just as she did 45 years ago...
>>

One of the most distressing and shocking features of Altzhiemers in mothers is that they completely forget how, nay steadfastly deny they ever did, to cook the food they were good at, and can only remember the appalling schiesse they used to make you eat. AND claim you loved it then.

My mother denies she ever cooked bacon pudding, never knew how to so can't pass on the secret ingredient that made it absolutely fabulous.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 11:31
My father's mother was the best cook I have ever known. However she never owned a recipe book, set of scales or measuring spoons so she could never tell you how she made things that I would love to have copied as she just "knew" how much of each ingredient to put in. She used to make a fruit cake which is the best I have ever tasted, she used to start off boiling some of the ingredients (I think it was based on a war time recipe), I have tried to replicate it but have never got anywhere near it.
 Another vanished product - J Bonington Jagworth
"she could never tell you how she made things"

I think this is why so many written recipes produce less than wonderful results. Most experienced cooks 'know' how the ingredients go together but would be unable to tell you what quantities they used. When they have to write it down to compile a book or present a programme, they have to work it all out from first principles, often losing the intuitive bit that makes it special.

I note that Delia Smith's ones work because she test-drives hers.
>> I made the mistake of saying how much I liked butterscotch flavoured Angel Delight when
>> I was 12. By the time I was 14 My preferences had moved on but
>> it took me until I was 35 to persuade my mother that I didn't want
>> it, or some other version of the ghastly stuff every time I visited her.
>>

I had the same problem, but with cauliflower cheese.
 Another vanished product - Fenlander
>>>took me until I was 35 to persuade my mother that I didn't want it, or some other version of the ghastly stuff every time I visited her.

We were over at my 82yr old mum's for tea last night and pudding was something stuffed with raspberry.

As I declined she said "Oh don't you like raspberry". I pointed out as a child I'd never liked them, as a teen I always refused them and on every visit where they were offered over my adult life I'd turn them down. That's almost 60yrs of not liking raspberry.... but next time she'll offer it again and no doubt shown the same surprise at my reaction.
"60yrs of not liking raspberry"

You've reminded me of a line from Saki's 'The Lumber Room' (a short story I recommend) where young Nicholas tells his aunt, "you often don't listen when we tell you important things". A common problem in families, no doubt...
 Another vanished product - Cliff Pope

>>
>> You've reminded me of a line from Saki's 'The Lumber Room' (a short story I
>> recommend)

My favourite is "Sredni Vashtar".

Lovely final line, "Conradin helped himself to another piece of toast".
We can picture all too well what has happened to his aunt.
Thanks, Cliff - fantastic writing IMO. I think mine is 'Tobermory', but mostly it's the last one I read. 'The Open Window' is another favourite - a complete short story in less than 4 pages.
>> All this doom and gloom about disappeared products, just en grateful we can still get........
>> Angel Delight!
>>
MIL used to issue AD with tinned fruit on every visit over many years.
I think in her mind it was a sign of suffistikation.
So grateful I no longer have to face it :-(
For mouth ulcers try the grown ups version of the well known product.

Bonjela Complete Plus Mouth Ulcer Care
SWMBO says it works.
 Another vanished product - Ambo
For a mouth, ulcer pat it dry with a tissue and apply iodine to it. It is usually gone in half a day.
Latest Forum Posts