Non-motoring > Wood glue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 22

Wood glue - J Bonington Jagworth
I used to use 'Cascamite' for serious woodwork jobs, but I haven't had one of those for a bit, and I wondered if things had moved on enough for there to be a better alternative?

I'm not sure I trust PVA glues for outdoor work (this is a window frame), even the 'waterproof' ones but I have seen some polyurethane glue in my builders merchant that looked interesting. There are also 'mitre' adhesives that I suspect are glorified super-glue with a very quick setting time, but I quite like a bit of adjustment time...
 Wood glue - Cliff Pope
Resorcinol was the favoured glue in wooden boat building/repairing. Very strong and waterproof. But it has no gap-filling properties. Epoxy resin is now regarded as better I think. Also it can be thickened with various things to increase viscosity or fill voids.

For a quick and easy glue try "Gorilla" and its variants. There's a larger-scale marine glue called Bolcotran I think which looks and acts the same, so possibly is.

Warm the bottle to make it flow better, squirt in and clamp up. It foams a bit, which is good for gap filling, and sets in about 2 hours. Any surplus can be trimmed off easily.

It's not immensely strong on a per square inch basis, but gives such a good adhesive area that it's pretty good, and waterproof. I've used it on boat jobs (making a wooden centreboard and rudder, for example) and also for repairing furniture.
 Wood glue - Armel Coussine
White Evo-Stik. Good stuff, always works.
 Wood glue - Cliff Pope
But that's a sealant, not a glue.
 Wood glue - Armel Coussine
>> that's a sealant, not a glue.

Sold to me as glue, labelled as such, works as such...
 Wood glue - madf
I use Polyurethane glue for hive building. Foams, so gap fills. As Cliff says, not super strong but good adhesion.. Waterproof. And easily sanded.
Thanks, all.
Madf, is that a particular polyurethane you are describing? B&Q used to sell a two-part PU that was about the stickiest substance I ever met, but they haven’t sold it for ages. One-part is OK, though, and a lot less hassle!
 Wood glue - rtj70
Might find something interesting here:

www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5391

But I'm sure Cascamite would work if the frame is properly painted to protect it. But the Cascamite powder that's not used will probably be wasted if you don't use it soon enough.
Thanks, rtj. I've always liked Cascamite and I notice it's one of the few that claims to be for 'structural' use - the Gorilla PVA I looked at makes a point of not being suitable, which is a bit of a worry, but perhaps that's because it's American...

The woodwork forum test you link to is presumably talking about the brown PU Gorilla, but I don't want something that foams up too much and upsets my careful alignments!
 Wood glue - madf
>> Thanks, all.
>> Madf, is that a particular polyurethane you are describing? B&Q used to sell a two-part
>> PU that was about the stickiest substance I ever met, but they haven’t sold it
>> for ages. One-part is OK, though, and a lot less hassle!
>>

One part only..

I use 5 minute stuff... tinyurl.com/qyv5zk5

30 minute here..tinyurl.com/oy5avv4

LOTS of suppliers on Amazon and ebay.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 15:28
 Wood glue - sherlock47
www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-30MINPU7-Lumberjack-Polyure-Adhesive/dp/B0012M5QCW/?ie=UTF8

even better value - assuming density is approaching 1!

cheaper on ebay, but watch for postage!
 Wood glue - sooty123
Try Loctite 415, it glues anything.

www.lubricantsupplies.co.uk/manufacturer/loctite-products/loctite-415-metal-bonder-x-20gms.html
 Wood glue - madf
Watch out . unused PU glue gradually becomes viscous and after six months or so an opened and partially used tube has a thick skin - like custard.. and it needs to be broken to make it flow. Then it does not grip as well.

So smaller tubes may be more economical in the long run IF you don't use a bigger tube reasonably quickly.
Been there, done that...
Is Gorilla the same thing?
 Wood glue - madf
>> Is Gorilla the same thing?
>>

Yes

Just more expensive..
"Try Loctite 415, it glues anything"

I should hope so, at £1/gram! :-)
 Wood glue - sooty123
Tbh that's the first time I've seen a price for it. I use it at work, so didn't know the cost. Yep, it ain't cheap but the best I've ever used. It'll stick your fingers together in a couple of seconds no problem.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 17:22
 Wood glue - madf
>> Tbh that's the first time I've seen a price for it. I use it at
>> work, so didn't know the cost. Yep, it ain't cheap but the best I've ever
>> used. It'll stick your fingers together in a couple of seconds no problem.
>>

i'll bear it in mind when I want to stick two fingers together...:-)
 Wood glue - MD
PVA every time. No failures yet.
 Wood glue - Stuartli
I've always found Araldite products to be superior to virtually anything else on the market:

www.go-araldite.com/

That includes mending the other half's dentures on the odd occasion...:-)
 Wood glue - BiggerBadderDave
I've been using PVA glue for about 44 years and it is fantastic. Use a brush to paint your hand and fingers full of glue. Wait for ten minutes then try to peel it off in once piece.

Smells nice too.
Has anyone used Everbuild 502 PVA glue? My builder's merchant seems to stock a lot of it, but I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not!
FWIW, I've reverted to Cascamite, which seems to have changed colour since the last time I used it, but otherwise behaves the same. The now glued (and screwed) frames are fantastically rigid. No doubt the failure mode would be spectacular, but I can't see that happening any day soon.
Latest Forum Posts