Non-motoring > Fan oven running on Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Fan oven running on - Crankcase
We recently bought a new fan oven. It's a Hotpoint.

When you turn it off after cooking, the fan continues to run. I didn't take much interest in that, but I've just discovered that the fan is still running now, forty minutes after the oven was switched off. It really is shut down, all controls at off and no lights on it.

What's that all about then? Do they all do that or am I mailing Hotpoint in the morning?

The old one just stopped when you turned it off.

Fan oven running on - Zero
I have an Electroloux, which is just a Hotpoint in fancy clothing.

Are you sure its the main fan in the over, or a secondary cooling fan - which does run after switch off to cool the oven casing and prevent heat soak to surrounding kitchen cabinets?
 Fan oven running on - sherlock47
My Fan oven does that - presumably to cool it down after use. So does my car.
 Fan oven running on - WillDeBeest
Is it the circulating fan that runs on? I ask because the gas oven in our previous house had a double-skinned glass door, and a little fan blew air between the two panes to keep the outer one from getting dangerously hot. That fan used to run on after the oven was turned off - although probably not for 40 minutes.

The fan and gas ovens here have insulated, solid doors, so no need for the cooling fan, and both fall immediately silent when turned off.
Oh, well, don't know about main or secondary fans. It's just making fan noises and if you open either door, it being a double, there is air being blown about.

I didn't know the idea about reducing heat of the carcass etc. Seems a bit of a waste, electrically.

Since first post it's stopped, I just checked, so it's must be not much more than 40 minutes.

Oh well, probably not faulty anyway. Ta.
>> Oh, well, don't know about main or secondary fans. It's just making fan noises and
>> if you open either door, it being a double, there is air being blown about.
>>
Its being blown through the gap between the top and main ovens.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 19:36
At the next opportunity, trust me, I shall be peering into the innards, although perhaps when Mrs C is safely ensconced in the outer library or something.
 Fan oven running on - Manatee
Our Neff single fan oven does the running on thing. I've never timed it. The induction hob has a cooling fan as well, that starts up at high settings and stays on for a bit.
 Fan oven running on - Old Navy
Our oven has a cooling fan which runs after the oven is switched off.
I think cranky should be honoured to join the club of over running fanners.
 Fan oven running on - Focusless
I'm curious. On ovens that have this feature, where does the fan blow the air to - the kitchen, just speeding up the transfer of heat from oven to kitchen, or outside, cooling the oven without heating up the kitchen?
 Fan oven running on - WillDeBeest
It doesn't cool the oven, just the door and control knobs. The air comes from the ambient kitchen air (the Stoves manual I've just - would you believe! - looked up online cautions against blocking the fan intake during installation) and presumably is returned to the kitchen having done its job. Any cooling effect on the cooking space of the oven is negligible.
 Fan oven running on - Focusless
Ah right, thanks WDB - that makes sense.
>> It doesn't cool the oven, just the door and control knobs.

On dual ovens the fan also acts as a thermal barrier between the two ovens too prevent heat soak bleed from one to the other. Mine draws cool air from the rear, between the two ovens and exhausts between the glass in the main oven door.
 Fan oven running on - Mapmaker
>>On dual ovens the fan also acts as a thermal barrier between the two ovens too prevent heat
>>soak bleed from one to the other.

How irritating. So that's why the top oven on my new(ish) oven never warms up for heating plates/keeping food warm.
 Fan oven running on - VxFan
>> What's that all about then? Do they all do that or am I mailing Hotpoint
>> in the morning?

Have you RTFM to see what it says?
If rtfm or Google was the mantra, the forum would be poorer by 75% of postings. This place is my first resort, not my last.

No fun in reading manuals for answers, and anyway, the discussions here often lead to all sorts of areas you didn't think about in the first place and you learn something extra.

So no. :)
Latest Forum Posts