Non-motoring > Left, right, left, right, pirouette! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 25

Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - BiggerBadderDave
Made me laugh anyway.

tinyurl.com/nys9gaj
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Westpig
I've always thought it ridiculous that they make grown men indulge in this stuff ..for 2 hours at a time!

One minute you are fighting for your life in Afghanistan, the next you are doing this sort of crap.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Cliff Pope
He spoiled the act by overdoing it.
The first time he pirouetted you could blink and miss it or wonder if you had really seen it.
Much funnier.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Zero
>> He spoiled the act by overdoing it.
>> The first time he pirouetted you could blink and miss it or wonder if you
>> had really seen it.
>> Much funnier.

Either way he is in deep sheite.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Armel Coussine
>> Either way he is in deep sheite.

The usual lot of the private soldier after all. He'll certainly be on a variety of charges, but it may not be all that deep when it comes to it. It's not impossible he has friends in high places, and the tribunals will include officers who are secretly amused and sympathetic. He may plead insanity too. It isn't hard to simulate for military purposes.

I await further information with great interest.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Harleyman
Will probably get charged under the catch-all Section 69 of the Army Act if it still applies;

"Any person subject to military law who is guilty of conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline shall, on conviction by court-martial, be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or any less punishment provided by this Act."

I confess to having previous in this respect and there aren't many soldiers who haven't had a brush with it at one time or another, usually just a small fine or jankers is the outcome.

Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Old Navy

>> "Any person subject to military law who is guilty of conduct to the prejudice of
>> good order and military discipline shall, on conviction by court-martial, be liable to imprisonment for
>> a term not exceeding two years or any less punishment provided by this Act."
>>
I would put money on the naval version being in force.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - sooty123
It's tri service these days.
It's the applied service test. 'Did the actions...' etc
>> It's tri service these days.
>> It's the applied service test. 'Did the actions...' etc
>>

In my day it was "Good order and naval discipline" a good catch all.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Roger.
>> >> He spoiled the act by overdoing it.
>> >> The first time he pirouetted you could blink and miss it or wonder if
>> you
>> >> had really seen it.
>> >> Much funnier.
>>
>> Either way he is in deep sheite.

..........and thoroughly deserves to be!

Brown job plonker
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Mapmaker
>>One minute you are fighting for your life in Afghanistan, the next you are doing this sort of crap.

War for a soldier is 95% boredom and 5% terror (or 99% and 1% depending on who you ask). Take the war away, and you are left with 100% boredom.

He's trained to follow orders, he's not following the orders. You wouldn't want to fight alongside him, would you?
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Fursty Ferret
>> He's trained to follow orders, he's not following the orders. You wouldn't want to fight
>> alongside him, would you?
>>

I'd far rather fight alongside someone with half a brain than someone who's trained to blindly follow orders.

I don't follow orders; I question them and ignore if appropriate.

Would that make me a bad soldier? I don't know.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Bromptonaut
>> I don't follow orders; I question them and ignore if appropriate.
>>
>> Would that make me a bad soldier? I don't know.

Your profession has, for very good reason, made a virtue of questioning orders. Still plenty accident/incident reports from parts of world where hierarchy is all and second/third crew member cannot openly challenge Capt.

Iranian airbus at Brum for one.

>> Iranian airbus at Brum for one.

Papa India - unplanned air to ground interface at Staines is another.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 21:38
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Fursty Ferret
mega snip quote!

>> Papa India - unplanned air to ground interface at Staines is another.
>>

Yeah, sadly this is still the case on an all-to-regular basis outside the UK.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 21:38
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Bromptonaut
>> Papa India - unplanned air to ground interface at Staines is another.

Last time an Aaib investigation was upgraded to a full public inquiry before Judge. Albeit that Lane LJ was a decorated wartime pilot it's doubtful he brought much insight beyond that already present jin Farnborough's team.

Probably where the command gradient/CRM debate started though.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Cliff Pope

>>
>> He's trained to follow orders, he's not following the orders. You wouldn't want to fight
>> alongside him, would you?
>>

I think some of our greatest soldiers and sailors were famous for disobeying orders.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Focusless
You might want the odd one or 2 'free thinkers', but I'm not sure a whole army of them would be a good idea...
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - madf
>>
>> >>
>> >> He's trained to follow orders, he's not following the orders. You wouldn't want to
>> fight
>> >> alongside him, would you?
>> >>
>>
>> I think some of our greatest soldiers and sailors were famous for disobeying orders.
>>

And those who did and got it wrong were shot - either by their own side or the opposition..

Modern battles require co-ordination of all actions - disobeying orders may very well lead to disasters.

(see nuclear subs for a start)
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - Armel Coussine
Doesn't seem to me that a guardsman bored out of his skull on ceremonial duty (and I would put money on his being stoned too) who clowns a bit for the tourists would necessarily be stoned and fool around when required to fight enemies.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the squaddy in question was serving his last few days in the army.

I knew a couple of Grenadiers socially when young, but they were officers. They were pretty frisky and not above a bit of scallywagging. The pirouetting squaddy would have had them in fits of laughter before they ordered him to be sent to the glasshouse.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - sooty123
Broke the golden rule, do whatever you want but don't get caught. Won't be hard to find out who it is. No doubt more guard duties becons.
>>
>> Modern battles require co-ordination of all actions - disobeying orders may very well lead to
>> disasters.
>>
>> (see nuclear subs for a start)
>>

Please tell me more.
Someone been deleting posts?
Blame dave
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - VxFan
Yeah, why not. Bound to be him again.
 Left, right, left, right, pirouette! - smokie
I concur, it's all 'im. I didn't touch anything.
Latest Forum Posts