Guess who

tinyurl.com/lfvff8y

edited to remove quotes which caused strange characters to appear
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 16:58
 Philanthropist of the Year - Mike Hannon
You couldn't make it up, No 8,956...
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 16:55
 Philanthropist of the Year - Armel Coussine
I don't buy this line about Tony Blair being satanic and evil. I voted for him twice. He made a single disastrous moral and intellectual mistake under pressure from the chimpanzee Dubya, and managed to parlay his considerable talents as a communicator and parliamentarian into a lucrative onward career.

Most of his more rabid critics seem to be Tory voters or worse anyway. The same people sometimes make offensive sexist comments about his wife.

One doesn't have to like politicians or their wives. But nor does one have to join a baying pack of envious, schadenfreude-ridden political ignoramuses intent on a lynching. We've all done it, but it's still silly and unpleasant.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 16:55
 Philanthropist of the Year - Lygonos
>>He made a single disastrous moral and intellectual mistake

Which he still vigorously defends with every sinew in his body despite everyone now knowing he was privy to information which should have tempered his decision.

I'm glad history appears to be seeing him as a man of smoke, mirrors and spin - should ensure his monumental ego is bruised 'til he dies, and possibly keep in check some of the more interventionalist aspirations of PMs in the future.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 16:56
 Philanthropist of the Year - MD
What is GQ?
 Philanthropist of the Year - rtj70
>> What is GQ?
>>
A magazine aimed at men.
 Philanthropist of the Year - Manatee
>> What is GQ?

GQ's market is sometimes said to be "metrosexuals", metropolitan men who pay a lot of attention to fashion and grooming...

Not you by the sound of it;)
 Philanthropist of the Year - TheManWithNoName
>> GQ's market is sometimes said to be "metrosexuals", metropolitan men who pay a lot of
>> attention to fashion and grooming...

Grooming as in Rotherham or grooming as in gel hair products?
 Philanthropist of the Year - Roger.
Shame on me - I too, voted for Tony Blair & New Labour once.
 Philanthropist of the Year - Roger.
>> >> GQ's market is sometimes said to be "metrosexuals", metropolitan men who pay a lot
>> of
>> >> attention to fashion and grooming...
>>
>> Grooming as in Rotherham or grooming as in gel hair products?
>>

Both repugnant!
 Philanthropist of the Year - legacylad
Anyone here a 'Dapper Dan' man?
 Philanthropist of the Year - Westpig
>> I don't buy this line about Tony Blair being satanic and evil. I voted for
>> him twice. He made a single disastrous moral and intellectual mistake under pressure from the
>> chimpanzee Dubya, and managed to parlay his considerable talents as a communicator and parliamentarian into
>> a lucrative onward career.
>>
>> Most of his more rabid critics seem to be Tory voters or worse anyway. The
>> same people sometimes make offensive sexist comments about his wife.

I think Dubya was a moral man who followed his principles for right or wrong..and IMO right.

Blair on the other hand was wholly immoral and went solely where the votes were initially and then followed where the influence was (USA).

... and all the stuff aimed at his wife is thoroughly deserved.
Oh dear.

No offence Wp, but you come across in that post not as a Tory voter, but something worse.

Tony Blair is a 'moral man' too, in his fashion. Lying and squirming are politicians' stock in trade, or parts of it.

I'm surprised Roger voted New Labour once. He's making up for it now.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 19:31
>> Oh dear.
>>
>> No offence Wp, but you come across in that post not as a Tory voter,
>> but something worse.

Hell, no..... not....UKIP?

>> Hell, no..... not....UKIP?

Perish the thought, nothing as awful as that I assure you...

:o}
 Philanthropist of the Year - Zero

>> I think Dubya was a moral man who followed his principles for right or wrong..and
>> IMO right.

He was as wrong as a wrong person could be. He was in fact a stupid wrong person who was easily led up the garden path and desperately wanted to shoot up some country to be on par with his dad.

>> Blair on the other hand was wholly immoral and went solely where the votes were
>> initially and then followed where the influence was (USA).

Worse. Blair was a cynical liar as well as being immoral and an ass kisser. He knew there were no facts to support the second invasion of Iraq, but crapped out on the hard work of reining in the yanks, lied to parliament, lied to us.

I have nothing but the upmost scorn for what he did during that period.
 Philanthropist of the Year - Bromptonaut
>> ... and all the stuff aimed at his wife is thoroughly deserved.
>>

Really? I'm not saying she's a beacon of righteousness but all of it? The sexist mysogonist stuff? The whataboutery where she/her chambers were opposing Govt?
 Philanthropist of the Year - DP
Never has the Teflon Tony moniker been more appropriate.

The embodiment of the modern, slimy self-serving, nest feathering, soundbyte-spewing "untouchable" career politician. Loathsome little man.
 Philanthropist of the Year - MD
I'm seeing him next Tuesday!
>> Loathsome little man.

No more loathsome than the next high-flying politico really, although that's a matter of opinion. But it's just silly to call Blair a 'little man'. He's a good deal bigger than anyone here just for a start. Except of course those who have been Prime Minister of the UK and amassed a large fortune. I didn't mean them.

As for being offensive about his wife, that's completely gratuitous. Unless you know her of course. Otherwise it's just vulgar misogyny.
 Philanthropist of the Year - Skip
>> >> ... and all the stuff aimed at his wife is thoroughly deserved.

I think that one of the Royals summed her up perfectly "horrid horrid horrid"
>> I think that one of the Royals summed her up perfectly "horrid horrid horrid"

Because she was not of their class and couldn't/wouldn't be forced by 'protocol'. Judging by her biog her feelings, at least for the retainers though not necessarily the Monarch herself, were much same. I'd not want my bags unpacked by the hosts servants either.
>> >> I think that one of the Royals summed her up perfectly "horrid horrid horrid"
>>
>>
>> Because she was not of their class and couldn't/wouldn't be forced by 'protocol'. Judging by
>> her biog her feelings, at least for the retainers though not necessarily the Monarch herself,
>> were much same. I'd not want my bags unpacked by the hosts servants either.
>>

It isn't just a case of her not being their class, she has no class whatsoever. A vile vulgar woman. Still at least her and her loathsome husband deserve each other !
>> It isn't just a case of her not being their class, she has no class
>> whatsoever. A vile vulgar woman. Still at least her and her loathsome husband deserve each
>> other !
>>

It summed it up for me, when she spouted off when leaving Downing Street for the last time. She couldn't resist it could she.

She also forgot she was a Prime Minister's wife and was not part of the government.

For an intelligent, high achieving lady (not in the literal sense), she showed a remarkable lack of common sense and humility.
>> It summed it up for me, when she spouted off when leaving Downing Street for
>> the last time. She couldn't resist it could she.

Yes I remember her shouting "we won't miss you" to the press, then within weeks she had a BBC film crew in her house making a documentary about her !

>> She also forgot she was a Prime Minister's wife and was not part of the
>> government.

He forgot that he was a Prime Minister and not a President.

>> For an intelligent, high achieving lady (not in the literal sense), she showed a remarkable
>> lack of common sense and humility.

And a total lack of breeding ! Gobby cow.
>> And a total lack of breeding ! Gobby cow.

There was a certain ostensible conceitedness. But it must be hard to cope with all that, Blair and Dubya and the gossip columns and so on, without putting a foot wrong.

'Breeding' if it means schooling in politics on shifting ground from childhood, might have helped. But not everyone has that.

Perhaps you are nostalgic for a world ruled by the ruling class skip, with children so schooled.
>> Yes I remember her shouting "we won't miss you" to the press, then within weeks
>> she had a BBC film crew in her house making a documentary about her !

There's a difference between an ironic remark to the lice of fleet St and co-operating with, or directing ,something associated with your published biog.

>>
>> >> She also forgot she was a Prime Minister's wife and was not part of
>> the
>> >> government.
>>
>> He forgot that he was a Prime Minister and not a President.
>>
>> >> For an intelligent, high achieving lady (not in the literal sense), she showed a
>> remarkable
>> >> lack of common sense and humility.
>>
>> And a total lack of breeding ! Gobby cow.

I'd guess as a lass from rough end of Liverpool she'd wear lack of 'breeding' (whatever that means) with pride.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 20:33
 Philanthropist of the Year - Kevin
>There's a difference between an ironic remark to the lice of fleet St and co-operating with, or
>directing ,something associated with your published biog.

The 'lice' of Fleet St being, of course, anyone who dared to point out her lack of judgement?

And, of course, 'co-operating with, or directing' a documentary with the completely impartial BBC was all done in the interests of showing Joe Public about life in No. 10. Nothing to do with squeezing the last few shekels out of her biog, of course.

>I'd guess as a lass from rough end of Liverpool she'd wear lack of 'breeding' (whatever that means) with pride.

Best not to advertise it though if you are the PM's spouse and international media are watching your every move?
 Philanthropist of the Year - R.P.
He's a T**t and as a former colleague of his who is now a colleague of mine said "I'd eat my own pooh before voting for him again" sums it up.
 Philanthropist of the Year - Haywain
I'm afraid Tony played a major role in my political shift from slightly to the left of Michael Foot to somewhere approaching UKIP.
>> I'm afraid Tony played a major role in my political shift from slightly to the
>> left of Michael Foot to somewhere approaching UKIP.

How? The one thing TB cannot be accused of is being a lefty or of pursuing particularly radical policies. He removed clause 4 FFS!!

My own voyage was to stay still while the party moved to right around me. Broken promises lie our air (traffic control) is not for sale and all the selection and testing carp in education were just steps on way to my resigning my membership. Iraq was just the final straw.

I mean how the hell could Hattersley, a respectable Croslandite, end up being on the leftmost reaches of parly party....
>> I mean how the hell could Hattersley, a respectable Croslandite, end up being on the leftmost reaches of parly party....

Spirit of the age Bromptonaut. We're obliged more or less to suck up to the Cousins but it's a long time since FDR and Truman, and a long time since the traditional, reassuring cold war (despite current galumphing attempts to revive it over Ukraine)...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 5 Sep 14 at 16:13
 Philanthropist of the Year - Haywain
"The one thing TB cannot be accused of is being a lefty"

I would never say that he was a lefty - far from it. He simply proved that he was just as capable of hypocracy and feathering his own nest as all the other politicians. As a cynical Private Eye subscriber, I loathe them all.
 Philanthropist of the Year - Cliff Pope

>>
>> My own voyage was to stay still while the party moved to right around me.

The most interesting and extreme example of voyaging while staying still would be someone who consistently supported the Boers in their wish for a homeland.
In 1900 you would have been on the far left. In 2000 on the far right.
Latest Forum Posts