Non-motoring > The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 26

The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Crankcase

Naughty hackers for grabbing the pics, or silly people for having such photos at all on the internet?

(No, not looked for them, only seen the news. Would feel a bit tawdry actually seeking them out, in my book.)

The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - rtj70
Stupid celebs IMO. Anything web related in my opinion is only post (or host) content you're happy with anyone else seeing. You might want to keep it for friends/family but don't assume it is safe.

If these celebs took dodgy photos on a phone which were then automatically backed up to Apple's or anyone's data centre then the main problem was taking the photos on such a device. You're assuming nobody has messed up at Apple for starters. But what if you lost the phone and someone got into it?

So the analogy would be taking the photos on a film camera and not securing the negatives and prints I guess.
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Armel Coussine
Someone suggested somewhere that these silly narcissistic women take nudie pix of themselves 'to remind their boyfriends of what they're missing'.

What kind of mouth breathing halfwits are these chicks associated with? If you can't remember your girlfriend, there's something seriously wrong with one or both of you.

TCHAH!
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Bromptonaut
It's the sheer number of starlets involved that surprises me. Sure one or two might take nude selfies or even 'amateur' film of their love lives but for so many to be on one 'cloud'?
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - spamcan61
I'm not an Apple user but I'm informed that iPhones automatically upload all photos (and presumably videos) taken with them to their Cloud, and it isn't at all obvious that this is happening and no quick method of stopping it. So it doesn't surprise me at all that all sorts of stuff is unwittingly uploaded, happened to a friend f mine.
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Zero
>> I'm not an Apple user but I'm informed that iPhones automatically upload all photos (and
>> presumably videos) taken with them to their Cloud, and it isn't at all obvious that
>> this is happening and no quick method of stopping it. So it doesn't surprise me
>> at all that all sorts of stuff is unwittingly uploaded, happened to a friend f
>> mine.

It can upload stuff to the cloud automatically, or you can stop it doing so. Its very easy to control
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Crankcase
Only if you turn the feature on at some point, although it does encourage you to do so at initial setup. But it's not forced on you and you can easily turn it off at anytime.

I saw a point of view today somewhere (don't recall where, sorry) that said that this is similar to the old short skirts invite rape chestnut.

As in, it's not the women's fault that hackers have illegally stolen their personal data and we shouldn't be blaming the victims. After all, for a non techy, there is perhaps an expectation of privacy from a big trustworthy company like Apple who should be guarding the stuff.

The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Cliff Pope
Serves them right.
It's a bit like leaving your photo album in a public library and expecting no one to look through it.
But of course they are loving it really - that's why they took the photos.
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - CGNorwich
No it's not. It's like leaving your photos in an album in your house and someone stealing the keys to your house and having a rummage through your posessions.
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Duncan
Serves them right.
It's a bit like leaving your photo album in a public library and expecting no one to look through it.

>> No it's not. It's like leaving your photos in an album in your house and
>> someone stealing the keys to your house and having a rummage through your posessions.

In fact it's probably somewhere in between.

Remember what your grannie told you:-

"Don't put anything in an email or on t'internet that you wouldn't be prepared to leave on a park bench".
>>
>> someone stealing the keys
>>

But the "keys" in this case are only computer passwords which are notoriously open to hacking.
The point of being a celebrity is to be constantly having your privacy infringed. They know that and love it. If no one wanted your photographs you wouldn't be a celebrity, so you have to be constantly dangling the opportunities to entice the voyeuristic public to have a go.

Publicity, preferably naughty, = money.
"But the "keys" in this case are only computer passwords which are notoriously open to hacking. "

If someone stole your passwords and remove the contents of your bank account that would be OK then? Your fault really for using an on line account.

Theft of passwords is theft. It is exactly the same a stealing keys or a combination to a lock

"They know that and love it. If no one wanted your photographs you wouldn't be a celebrity, so you have to be constantly dangling the opportunities to entice the voyeuristic public to have a go."

That dangerously close to the "they're all gagging for it argument'' It's all the victims fault really

If photographs are stored in a what you are told is a secure environment and someone gains illegal access to those photos and disseminates them agains your will then it's plain wrong whoever you are.

>>
>> If photographs are stored in a what you are told is a secure environment and
>> someone gains illegal access to those photos and disseminates them agains your will then it's
>> plain wrong whoever you are.
>>

It's plain wrong, of course, but it is still stupid to believe what you are told.
Unless you are a celebrity, in which case such things are your bread and butter.

You haven't taken the point that they are not really outraged at all. They are getting a) publicity and b) probably lots of money.
In this instance they really are asking for it - would it be cynical to suggest that perhaps a publicity agent staged the whole thing?
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - movilogo
>> No it's not. It's like leaving your photos in an album in your house and someone stealing the keys to your house and having a rummage through your posessions.

I beg to differ here. If these were normal family photos, I would have agreed with your comments. However, we are talking of "celebrity nude images". Such images should have never been printed/stored in the cloud in the first place.

One should always resist temptation of taking such photos in the first place. Even if they can't control their lust [can't find any suitable word at the moment], then it should have been encrypted (in their computer or cloud) to be on safe side.

>> But the "keys" in this case are only computer passwords which are notoriously open to hacking.

Most computers can be booted with a Linux CD on drive and then you can access full hard disk [unless content is encrypted] without any trouble. So, computer log in password is mostly useless.

PS: Being celebrity does not always equate moderately high IQ. In fact, it is a shame of our society these type of people we promote as celebrity/role model.
Last edited by: movilogo on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 11:07
What a peculiar view. There is no implication that the photos taken were anything other than perfectly legal nude photographs of the persons concerned. They were stolen and illegally distributed. The celebrity of the victims , their intelligence or or the nature and subject of the the photographs has absolutely no bearing on the issue.

The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - rtj70
>> After all, for a non techy, there is perhaps an expectation of privacy from a big trustworthy
>> company like Apple who should be guarding the stuff.

Apple isn't that big - just over valued and happens to have sold a lot of phones and tablets in recent years. Nobody should trust Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, etc. .... Computer software is not infallible - it was written by people.
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Mapmaker
>>Naughty hackers for grabbing the pics, or silly people for having such photos at all on the internet?

Both.

The hackers' activities are a gross and unacceptable invasion of privacy and they deserve to be locked up for a very long time.

But really, it's all very well being in the right, but if you're also in the doo doo then it wasn't very clever was it.

My iPhone doesn't back up my photos to iCloud or to Facebook, though one has to stop it from doing so. Annoyingly, my iPhone backs my apps and emails up to free iCloud, (the emails are all stored elsewhere for goodness sake) so there isn't room for it to back up useful things like notes and contacts. No idea how to stop it backing up the emails; and no, I'm not paying a monthly fee for more iCloud storage; lol.
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Roger.
I'll never look at Katniss Everdeen in the same light now!
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - neiltoo
Don't think that I ever have, or would recognise her if I did.
Miss Lawrence is in:-

tinyurl.com/pqr9p6k

(Google link)

Playing the heroine, Katniss Everdeen.
OK - 'fess up - who here HAS seen these photos?
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - BiggerBadderDave
"OK - 'fess up - who here HAS seen these photos?"

Never heard of her and not in the least bit interested. Ask me again when she's a 45-year-old MILF.
>> "OK - 'fess up - who here HAS seen these photos?"
>>
>> Never heard of her and not in the least bit interested. Ask me again when
>> she's a 45-year-old MILF.
>>

At her present rate she'll be a 45 yr. old GILF!
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Westpig
>> OK - 'fess up - who here HAS seen these photos?
>>

Where do I find them?
>> >> OK - 'fess up - who here HAS seen these photos?
>> >>
>>
>> Where do I find them?
>>

If I told you I'd have to kill you!
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - ....
There appears to be an assumption here that the brain donors who posted nude pics of themselves actually changed the password from the default.

I'll leave the cloud, Apple or Microsoft, until Banks and Car manufacturers are storing their commercial in confidence data out there.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 17:52
 The Great Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal - Focusless
Matt cartoon: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=11074033&cc=11069143
Latest Forum Posts