Non-motoring > Potassium Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 15

Potassium - Armel Coussine
One of the side effects of low potassium levels in human beings, I learned last night, is a feeling or conviction of 'existential dread'. So this morning I purchased a large bunch of greenish bananas and have just eaten one.

No decline so far in my high existential dread level, which seems the same as usual. It's surprising it isn't higher than normal actually. We were invited for drinks nearby at 6 last night. At the last minute the invitation was put off until 8. Feeling thirsty I had a couple of large ones before driving to the drinks. There, to my great pleasure, the ingredients of maria sanglante had been laid out for me, and before I could stop myself I had sunk two more colossal ones. Then I started staggering about and eventually fell on my back in a flowerbed and had to be hauled to my feet. Nor would I have been capable of driving back here without running into something. Herself had to drive although she'd had some wine and usually won't drive when she's had a drink.

I very seldom do that sort of thing nowadays. Hasn't happened for years. Everyone is rolling about with laughter (but they can get to their feet without help). Perhaps it's time to husband my remaining healthy brain cells.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 14:40
 Potassium - Lygonos
Posterior circulation stroke.

Have another drink.

(Probably not)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 14:58
I don't think I had a stroke Lygonos. I fell over because I was as drunk as a Lud. I don't think I passed out at any point.

Or is posterior circulation stroke a posh name for falling over when ratted? Must go down well with your more Glaswegian patients.
 Potassium - Lygonos
Likewise I assume you got ratted perhaps due to a lack of grub in your stomach.

I think the 'impending doom' after a sesh gets worse as you get older - I'm half your age (!) and frequently find myself feeling guilty about something I 'must have done' the previous night when steaming.

Fortunately these days I almost never actually do anything monumentally stupid the previous evening, but the somewhat gloomy down phase can last most of the following day.

I find the best remedy is simply to ensure you never sober up.
 Potassium - Ambo
"We're all a little bit guilty" - Camus.

For a moment, Armel, I thought you were one of my former planting colleagues. One bungalow cook boy, having found his "tuan" at dawn, sleeping in a flower bed, brought him a cup of tea there.
 Potassium - NortonES2
Like it!
>> one of my former planting colleagues. One bungalow cook boy, having found his "tuan" at dawn, sleeping in a flower bed, brought him a cup of tea there.

Our house in Ceylon had until we arrived been an 'officers' mess', frequented by ignorant, louche young men in khaki shorts with ideas above their station.

So when we arrived we inherited the most cynical, thieving bunch of servants on the whole base whom my parents fired one by one.

I was on the servants' side being small and not fully understanding the ins and outs. I liked the head boy Pakiri who had a collusive air and smiling bloodshot eyes. Alas, he decamped one day with some silver plate and a number of other objects including my mother's false teeth which had a gold bridge, and had to be chased, brought back and thrown in jail.

That was a long time ago. But radical differences of wealth are still with us in updated form and still causing trouble.
>> I find the best remedy is simply to ensure you never sober up.

Can't help wondering whether you really mean that, sort of, in a way...

In any case here I am on my second. But they've been small. And there was only a quarter bottle to start with (although classy 40% stuff, ah the dear girl...).

Herself said, er, perhaps it's time for an alcohol-free day. I agreed, but added, Not today though I think... existential dread and stuff, knowImean?

One's supposed to have two booze-free days a week. Some people just observe Lent or Ramadan, but alas I am an unbeliever. So I have to suffer a sort of permanent religious guilt and try not to fall over too often.
 Potassium - Duncan
>> One's supposed to have two booze-free days a week.

I seem to be having six booze-free days a week at the moment. I will let you have a couple of my days if you want?
 Potassium - Zero
>> >> One's supposed to have two booze-free days a week.
>>
>> I seem to be having six booze-free days a week at the moment. I will
>> let you have a couple of my days if you want?

Banned from spoons in Walton again?
 Potassium - Duncan
>> Banned from spoons in Walton again?
>>

As one reaches maturity - and then a bit more!

There are a few things that one would in a perverse sort of way like to be able to say that one did in ones youth.

For example I was never sent off while playing rugby. In my playing days the disciplinary hearings used to be held at the East India Club. An extremely pleasant location.

I have never been barred from, or thrown out of a pub.

Potassium - ....
>> I seem to be having six booze-free days a week at the moment. I will
>> let you have a couple of my days if you want?
>>
Ah! The binge drinker, getting the weeks quota down in one day can be just as bad ;-)
 Potassium - Cliff Pope

>>
>> One's supposed to have two booze-free days a week.

A new report today advises having red wine with dinner but to round off with tea afterwards, not coffee.
Suits me down to the ground - this might be your thing too in the circs. :)
>> you got ratted perhaps due to a lack of grub in your stomach.

Just so Lygonos. And the presence of yet another 'substance', generally harmless, can exacerbate that sort of state.

Some people never learn. I hang my head in shame.
 Potassium - Dutchie
Fell into a flowerbed >:) I did once in Greece fell into a flowerbed drank to much of their local brew.

The missus was not pleased ruined a good pair of trousers.The local bus driver gave me a grin when he rememberd me from the previous day called me a drunken Dutchy.

Last edited by: Dutchie on Tue 2 Sep 14 at 07:41
 Potassium - Mike Hannon
Whatever you do, AC, don't stop the blog...
Latest Forum Posts