Non-motoring > Rotherham. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 75

Rotherham. - Dutchie
This place sounds similar to where I grew up Rotterdam.

Is there something wrong here,first ex M.P.Cyril Smith regarding children.

Seeing and hearing about the horrific child abuse what has been allowed to happen in this area what is going on?

Have we gone to far with our political correctness and not allowed to mention anything.

If Asian gangs where involved let it be mentioned.Also who is responsible for taking any responsibility for what has happened.Child protection and police ducking and diving to not take any blame.

Over 1400 children is the estimate being used by animals. I am not being racist just discusted what has happened to our children.
 Rotherham. - rtj70
>> Is there something wrong here,first ex M.P.Cyril Smith regarding children.

That was Rochdale.
 Rotherham. - Cliff Pope
It's all in the Rockford files

:)
 Rotherham. - Pat
It's what happens when we start on the slippery slope of ignoring things like Jimmy Savile and the rest of Operation Yewtree prosecutions.

Yes, they were a long time ago and it can be argued that it was acceptable then, but how long before far worse becomes acceptable to be hidden and ignored?

Had people who were aware of what was going on all those years ago, done something about it, we may not be where we are now Dutchie.

Pat
 Rotherham. - Dutchie
A lot of people problaby did know what went on Pat.Keep your mouth shut I've got my job to protect.

I grew up in the sixties in a so called permissive society (country)

The opening of sex shops the smoking pot culture.But this is different this is mucky old and young men abusing children on a fast scale.

No heads going to fall are there.People resign or are dismissed with big pensions.

Nothing to do with me mate I was only in charge.
 Rotherham. - Manatee
The people who ignored this, including the senior police officers, should be doing time with the five already convicted of the abuse.

Unbelievable.
 Rotherham. - Stuartli
Weasel words today from someone who should go right now. Sickening listening to him on Sky News defending the indefensible.

Are you paying attention, Shaun Wright.

Resign.

Now.

As for the perpetrators. They should be hung, drawn and quartereed.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 13:12
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> Weasel words today from someone who should go right now. Sickening listening to him on
>> Sky News defending the indefensible.
>>
>> Are you paying attention, Shaun Wright.
>>
>> Resign.
>>
>> Now.

With result that there will be a by-election for Police Commissioner. Last one held a couple of weeks ago in West Midlands had a turn out of 10% and I doubt there'd be much difference in South Yorks, except that holidays would not be a factor.

But perhaps anything that highlights the misguided barminess of a single elected commissioner as opposed to oversight by a body of elected and appointed members is for the good.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 13:36
 Rotherham. - Armel Coussine
>> But perhaps anything that highlights the misguided barminess of a single elected commissioner as opposed to oversight by a body of elected and appointed members is for the good.

Yes. Moronic adoption of a US practice from an entirely different political system, quite unsuitable for us and asking for trouble. Politicians messing around and making everything worse, turning it into nonsense.
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
Shaun Wright says he's staying put:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28947707
 Rotherham. - Stuartli
>>Shaun Wright says he's staying put: >>

Those are the weasel words to which I was referring. He was involved at a high management level with the care of children whilst on the council, yet nothing was ever done it would appear.

If you read into the full story of what did - or was alleged to have - happened, you will wonder why this man has the gall to say he is not resigning.

However, I would suggest that the sheer weight of public pressure mounting at a rapid pace will, thankfully, provide exactly what he deserves.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 16:28
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
As ever it's worth reading the report rather than media spin:

www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1407/independent_inquiry_cse_in_rotherham
 Rotherham. - Stuartli
>>As ever it's worth reading the report rather than media spin:>>

You seriously think it's media spin? Seriously?
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> >>As ever it's worth reading the report rather than media spin:>>
>>
>> You seriously think it's media spin? Seriously?

My point was a general one rather than about South Yorks's Police commissioner specifically but some of it, yes.

Do you seriously believe the media, whether Murdoch or Scott Trust report this stuff without a commercial and political agenda?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 20:34
 Rotherham. - Stuartli
>>Do you seriously believe the media, whether Murdoch or Scott Trust report this stuff without a commercial and political agenda? >>

Yes.

The gut reaction of the Press and the public was exactly the same. Rightly so.
 Rotherham. - R.P.
First time I've ever agreed with Ed Balls....!
 Rotherham. - R.P.
He'll be gone by the weekend.
 Rotherham. - Roger.
From the left:-

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100284156/rotherham-sex-abuse-scandal-we-cannot-ignore-that-race-played-a-part-in-these-crimes/

From the right:-

www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/27/Rotherham-1400-kids-groomed-drugged-and-raped-by-multicultural-sensitivity

Rotherham. - Lygonos
I realised over 3 years ago when Jack Straw specifically mentioned child abuse by men of Pakistani origin that some serious carp was being unearthed.

Jack Straw isn't the kind of guy to spout forth without having put some serious thought into it, especially where race is involved, thus sticking his head above the parapet.

www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jan/08/jack-straw-white-girls-easy-meat
 Rotherham. - R.P.
The Jailbrd Mc Shane was in defensive mode on the radio earlier. Rotherham was on his patch and he says he knew nothing.
 Rotherham. - Kevin
>Rotherham was on his patch and he says he knew nothing.

He also denied forging receipts to defraud the taxpayer.

He chose his words very carefully, too carefully and I don't believe him.
>> Jack Straw isn't the kind of guy to spout forth without having put some serious thought into it, especially where race is involved, thus sticking his head above the parapet.

One wouldn't think so. And it's certainly true that ignorant mainstream Muslims, not just Pakistanis and not just here, believe that western women and girls are immodest, sexually immoral and potentially promiscuous. They don't fancy them at all of course, in a pig's ear.

However the official report into Rotherham, long and boring as it is, does specify that none of the cases it examined showed this attitude or behaviour on an individual level, just on a 'policy level'. Hard to know how true this is, but it has to be taken seriously I suppose. The report does say that 'Pakistani-background' women are the first and most numerous 'victims', and that's quite obviously going to be true.

I've seen a number of silly women over the years sucking up to Muslims thinking they are being open and non-racist, and getting veiled or open contempt, and worse, in return. But it's not a black-and-white matter. Most Muslims needless to say are quite virtuous, even the ignorant ones. Many are salt-of-the-earth types you'd trust with your daughter or wallet.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 19:07
 Rotherham. - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>> none of the cases it examined showed this attitude or behaviour on an individual level,
>> just on a 'policy level'.
>>
>>

Ah yes, the "good British", just obeying orders, suppressing any personal doubts they might have had, looking the other way.

Or couldn't it happen here?
 Rotherham. - smokie
27 Aug above "Shaun Wright says he's staying put:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28947707

Today - Shaun Wright resigns www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29220535

Took his time...
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 16 Sep 14 at 12:34
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> Today - Shaun Wright resigns www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29220535
>>
>> Took his time...

I think the word he misunderstood was 'untenable'. He had a rough time with HASC and at a public forum last week. Pretty clear some of victims were going to hound him until he went.
 Rotherham. - Zero

>> With result that there will be a by-election for Police Commissioner. Last one held a
>> couple of weeks ago in West Midlands had a turn out of 10% and I
>> doubt there'd be much difference in South Yorks, except that holidays would not be a
>> factor.
>>
>> But perhaps anything that highlights the misguided barminess of a single elected commissioner as opposed
>> to oversight by a body of elected and appointed members is for the good.

Yes the office of Police Commisioner is throughly discredited, and Wright is typical of the breed. The post should go and so should Wright.
 Rotherham. - Stuartli
>>Yes the office of Police Commisioner is throughly discredited, and Wright is typical of the breed. The post should go and so should Wright. >>

I'm in 100 per cent agreement with you. If you get the chance, look up the record of the Merseyside Police Commissioner and the fact that the local Labour Party bosses campaigned vigorously for her at the time of the voting.

PS

See: tinyurl.com/q5orxae

I think the expression is Thick As Thieves.
 Rotherham. - Roger.
Wright is staying as Police Commissioner as it pays around £85K per annum.
What else could he do to earn that kind of moolah?
 Rotherham. - Roger.
A statement from UKIP's Asian MEP for the area.

No political slant to be drawn here please, just that more complete condemnation is needed from other Asians in public life.

www.amjadbashirmep.co.uk/?p=102
 Rotherham. - Dutchie
85 thousand per year for doing what? Suit and tie look stupid and you have a top job.He is not going to fall on his sword Roger.

I would sack the full council and start fresh if that is possible.I am not bothered if this Asian is a Ukip member or not more interested that he is honest with his statement.
 Rotherham. - Focusless
>> 85 thousand per year for doing what? Suit and tie look stupid and you have
>> a top job.

Anyone see C4's 'Meet the Police Commissioner'? I didn't, but the trailer gave the impression it didn't show that PCC (Ann Barnes, Kent) in a particularly favourable light:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=usqwfMBfOK4

Hence:
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/05/kent-pcc-ann-barnes-police-crime-commissioner-channel-4-documentary

EDIT: BTW not available on 4oD
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 28 Aug 14 at 08:53
 Rotherham. - Dutchie
Unbelievable one of her skills I genuine like people(.I like people but not all.)

What about Chief Superintendent Jason Harwin.He apologizes for total failure.Then says all is ok now move along boys nothing to see.

Instead of my little gardening job I am thinking of one of these top positions you never know.

Rotherham. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Instead of my little gardening job I am thinking of one of these top positions
>> you never know.
>>

Isn't it funny how jobs get easier and easier the higher you get?
All you need for success in life is to find the key to making that magic cross-over from the real to the unreal.
 Rotherham. - Zero
>> A statement from UKIP's Asian MEP for the area.
>>
>> No political slant to be drawn here please, just that more complete condemnation is needed
>> from other Asians in public life.
>>
>> www.amjadbashirmep.co.uk/?p=102

Funny how the UKIP Asian is the only Asian that meets with approval.......
 Rotherham. - Mark
Another Police Commissoner that now finds themselves in a spot of bother.

tinyurl.com/oxyvbpe

What is it with these people, the posts seem to have attracted people who are most unsuitable for this type of role.

As always

Mark
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> Another Police Commissoner that now finds themselves in a spot of bother.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/oxyvbpe
>>
>> What is it with these people, the posts seem to have attracted people who are
>> most unsuitable for this type of role.
>>
>> As always
>>
>> Mark

Behind this is yet another case of a mentally disturbed person dying while being arrested or in detention. There's a race element too.

There's a long, long list of such cases for which police>arrest>cells is wholly inappropriate albeit sanctioned by s136 of Mental Health Act 1983.

Not convinced it's on all fours with either Rotherham (past sins) or Kent (seemingly not personally or intellectually up to snuff).
 Rotherham. - Ambo
The obvious question (so obvious I didn't think of it) is raised twice in today's Telegraph: how come little or nothing was done by the local police in this case of 1400 girls, when so much was done, with so many plods on the ground and the BBC in attendance, in the single and doubtful case of Sir Cliff Richard?
 Rotherham. - Duncan
>> The obvious question (so obvious I didn't think of it) is raised twice in today's
>> Telegraph: how come little or nothing was done by the local police in this case
>> of 1400 girls, when so much was done, with so many plods on the ground
>> and the BBC in attendance, in the single and doubtful case of Sir Cliff Richard?
>>

Same police service, isn't it?
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> The obvious question (so obvious I didn't think of it) is raised twice in today's
>> Telegraph: how come little or nothing was done by the local police in this case
>> of 1400 girls, when so much was done, with so many plods on the ground
>> and the BBC in attendance, in the single and doubtful case of Sir Cliff Richard?

A false dichotomy if it's used in some way to suggest Harry Webb was somehow hard done by in being questioned at all. In so far as not acting on the girls' cases is concerned then I'm afraid they simply were not valued and in many cases seen as 'the problem' themselves, even being arrested when kicking over the traces of their masters. It's a theme that also ran through the Rochdale cases and no doubt others too.

Some of the girls of course believed they were loved by their 'pimps' and reused to give evidence. The analogy with victims of domestic violence is well made in at least one of the articles in the Guardian.
I'd forgotten something else that was recalled in today's comic, but noticed it at the time: the awful jobsworth head of children's services took some 'ethnic' children away from a fostering couple just because they were UKIP members (or voters).

The reasoning was that as UKIP supporters they would have to be against 'multiculturalism'. But would anyone but a moron expect a fostering couple who had accepted some brown nippers to then discriminate against them or treat them unkindly? Just possible perhaps, but highly unlikely. Or do I have an idealized picture of human nature?
Herself has a good memory and also remembers that story from the time. The couple said they were UKIPpers because they were against Europe, not 'immigrants'. But power-crazed overpaid interfering jobsworths don't get that sort of distinction.
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
Keirb Starmer showing more insight than the 'sack the Commissioner' mob.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/28/how-can-we-prevent-another-rotherham
 Rotherham. - Mark
Here you go AC

I think this is the story you had in mind

tinyurl.com/nof8q64

I dont think the public servants involved had any excuse other than being overpaid, interfering and useless.

As always

Mark

Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> Here you go AC
>>
>> I think this is the story you had in mind
>>
>> tinyurl.com/nof8q64
>>
>> I dont think the public servants involved had any excuse other than being overpaid, interfering
>> and useless.

It was, as ever, somewhat more complicated than the Wail and its Wellington St counterpart would have us believe.
>> It was, as ever, somewhat more complicated than the Wail and its Wellington St counterpart would have us believe.

Looking again, I now see that the nippers concerned were European immigrants (although that doesn't exclude their being 'ethnic', Europe having many long-established communities from all sorts of places).

There seems to be no suggestion that the children were being neglected or maltreated or discriminated against. Perhaps some foster carers are harsh and mercenary, doing it for the allowances. But there's no suggestion this couple was like that. In any case they must be subject to inspection, and one hopes some at least of the inspectors have insight and sympathy.

Seems to me children who have had to be taken into care need stability, some sort of family-equivalent taking shape slowly, not to be jerked about at the whim of some PC idiot and have to come to terms with a different set of carers once again.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 14:32
 Rotherham. - Westpig
>> There's a long, long list of such cases for which police>arrest>cells is wholly inappropriate albeit
>> sanctioned by s136 of Mental Health Act 1983.

Does one have a viable alternative that springs to mind?
 Rotherham. - Zero
>> >> There's a long, long list of such cases for which police>arrest>cells is wholly inappropriate
>> albeit
>> >> sanctioned by s136 of Mental Health Act 1983.
>>
>> Does one have a viable alternative that springs to mind?

This is a classic example of the social sine wave swinging from one side to the other. We have swung from "lock them all away in huge institutions" to "put them all out in the community*"

Somewhere in the future the sine wave needs to settle down in the middle

* Alas, that means "on the streets"
 Rotherham. - Lygonos
Although in this instance the node on the sine wave is so much closer to the 'care in community' than the 'institutions', rather than being close to the middle.
 Rotherham. - Westpig
>> This is a classic example of the social sine wave swinging from one side to
>> the other. We have swung from "lock them all away in huge institutions" to "put
>> them all out in the community*"
>>
>> Somewhere in the future the sine wave needs to settle down in the middle
>>
>>
>> * Alas, that means "on the streets"
>>

I find myself agreeing with you, twice in two days ..I need a lie down, to reflect on life.
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> Does one have a viable alternative that springs to mind?

The real problem is the cells bit. The act, IIRC, refers to 'a place of safety'. There could and should be such a place on the NHS estate.
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
Another piece on PCCs and their failings.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/28/rotherham-shaun-wright-refusal-resign-strengthens-case-pcc-abolition
 Rotherham. - Cliff Pope

If he thought he needed to resign from the labour party because of some shortcoming in his actions, why does he imagine those shortcomings are of no concern to the people of South Yorkshire?
 Rotherham. - sherlock47
>>
>> If he thought he needed to resign from the labour party because of some shortcoming
>> in his actions, why does he imagine those shortcomings are of no concern to the
>> people of South Yorkshire?
>>

Well he is being paid for one and not the other?

If sacked from salaried post there is presumably a big payoff?
 Rotherham. - Dutchie
That is why he is hanging on Sherlock he wants the money.

Lowlive comes to mind.
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> Well he is being paid for one and not the other?
>>
>> If sacked from salaried post there is presumably a big payoff?

The problem is that he's pretty well immune from being sacked. The full force of Parliamentary scrutiny failed to produce a means to dismiss a PCC other than if he were charged with a criminal offence (though there may be an incapacity provision too).

I cannot see the 'Misconduct in Public Office' charge being suggested in some areas as a runner and if he sits tight it will, he hopes, blow over and he can serve the rest of his term.

If he's really lucky he'll be re-admitted to Labour fold and allowed to stand again but that might be a step too far.
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> The real problem is the cells bit. The act, IIRC, refers to 'a place of
>> safety'. There could and should be such a place on the NHS estate.

My news feed tells me that Home Affairs Committee are on the case:

www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/home-affairs-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/policing-and-mental-health/
 Rotherham. - Westpig
>> >> Does one have a viable alternative that springs to mind?
>>
>> The real problem is the cells bit. The act, IIRC, refers to 'a place of
>> safety'. There could and should be such a place on the NHS estate.
>>

Yes ... and systems in place, 'joint protocols' etc that cater for such things... that consistently fail to deliver.

I forgot the amount of times I rang or personally attended the local hospital with a copy of the protocol, when rather than if my staff were refused access with a s.136* patient.

We had internal police memos advising us that cells were unsuitable for mental health patients .. but where the hell do you take them if there isn't anywhere else?

I used to initially write formal reports to my senior management team on the failings of this system, but eventually gave up.

On one occasion, having had a patient sat in a police van for over 4 hours, trying to get him into the hospital accommodation, I had a the duty psychiatrist come out of the rear door and apologise for the poor service, whilst the unit manager was refusing us entry at the front door???

Believe me, police officers would very much prefer not to have to use cells for mentally unwell people.

* s.136 Mental Health Act 1983, power for police to detain a mentally unwell person in a public place
 Rotherham. - Roger.
OK forewarned - the link below is to a YouTube video by Pat Condell.
Some of you will hate it: some will lambast me for putting it up here.
I'm old enough not to care!

Here it is!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwAhrU_wTdA
 Rotherham. - Westpig
>> OK forewarned - the link below is to a YouTube video by Pat Condell.
>> Some of you will hate it: some will lambast me for putting it up here.
>> I'm old enough not to care!
>>
>> Here it is!
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwAhrU_wTdA
>>

Can't argue with any of that.
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut

>> Can't argue with any of that.
>>

I can bt cannot be bothered to be a lone voice in this place.
 Rotherham. - Zero
>>
>> >> Can't argue with any of that.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> I can bt cannot be bothered to be a lone voice in this place.

I can't be bothered to look at the link.
 Rotherham. - Focusless
>> >> Can't argue with any of that.
>>
>> I can bt cannot be bothered to be a lone voice in this place.

As in lone anti-UKIP voice? Are you sure? :)
An intelligent rant as usual. But he called these people "Muslim" gratuitously. Apart from that, and something else I can't remember, he kept his nose pretty clean I thought.
 Rotherham. - Roger.
>> An intelligent rant as usual. But he called these people "Muslim" gratuitously. Apart from that,
>> and something else I can't remember, he kept his nose pretty clean I thought.
>>

Most of his thrust was actually about Common Purpose (q.v)
>> Most of his thrust was actually about Common Purpose (q.v)

Yes. Never heard of it. It sounds awful.
 Rotherham. - Ambo
See Wikipedia. Yes, it does sound awful but Pat Condell tells it like it is over Rotheram yet surely risks a fatwah being declared against him.
 Rotherham. - Roger.
More on Common Purpose.

www.tpuc.org/692/
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> More on Common Purpose.
>>
>> www.tpuc.org/692/

Paranoid b*****.
 Rotherham. - Zero
>> More on Common Purpose.
>>
>> www.tpuc.org/692/

You need a tin foil helmet.
 Rotherham. - sooty123
Looks a pretty serious issue, here's the bloke who found out about them.
tinyurl.com/3hqtgl2
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 12:08
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
>> You need a tin foil helmet.

Quite an old one will do.

The tpuc article refers to Deputy PM Prescott and Law Society C/Ex Janet Paraskeva.

Prescott's change of role is well recorded and Paraskeva left the Law Society best part of ten yrs ago.
 Rotherham. - sooty123
Don't worry they were replaced. They can't be stopped.
 Rotherham. - Dutchie
And in the meantime the top man resigned with his pension, no apology for the victims of abuse.

The council still functions as normal and live goes on.How many children where abused?
 Rotherham. - Bromptonaut
Some comment on Rotherham and other abuse cases from the ACPO le ad on subject:

www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/15/rotherham-child-sexual-abuse-scandal-tip-iceberg-police-chief

Point he makes is that while 'Asian Predators' grab the headlines the vast majority of child sex abuse happens in the home.
 Rotherham. - Westpig
>> Some comment on Rotherham and other abuse cases from the ACPO le ad on subject:
>>
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/15/rotherham-child-sexual-abuse-scandal-tip-iceberg-police-chief
>>
>> Point he makes is that while 'Asian Predators' grab the headlines the vast majority of
>> child sex abuse happens in the home.
>>

From my own unscientific knowledge I'd say that is 100% correct ...however, that still doesn't mean the Rotherham type issue should be ignored, just because people are not comfortable to raise it because of the fear of being labelled racist.
I've never been to Rotherham that I can remember. Passed through it perhaps.

A friend of my youth, a very clever girl but a raving nutter and sometimes alarming hooligan, in the late fifties inherited a small street of working-class houses in Rotherham from her grandmother, a lady of property who lived in York. My friend promptly sold the entire street - I may be wrong but I think she got about £10,000 for it which seemed a lot to us then - and invested the proceeds in the leases of flats in louche areas of London, in two of which I stayed for longish periods, sometimes managing a bit of rent (but she was a good friend and didn't give much of a damn). Somewhere along the line I introduced her to a school friend who soon married her, making her a princess (although a very minor Italian one, nothing grand).

She died some years ago. I can't remember her funeral clearly, or even whether I went. Perhaps not: her father, who farmed pigs in Wales, was another raving nutter.

Anyway: it occurs to me that that street in Rotherham, whose capital value eased my youth and the youth of several others, may well be a hotbed of foreign child molesters now. Not a particularly happy thought, but an insistent one.
Latest Forum Posts