Non-motoring > BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 10

BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Falkirk Bairn
Packets of seeds distributed and promoted through "Countryfile" ends up with poisonous plants growing throughout the UK. Although found in the UK naturally it was, until this point, thought to be dying out.

tinyurl.com/nh2292j
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Zero
Daily Telegraph trying to be the Daily Mail again.
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Cliff Pope
When I belonged to the Henry Doubleday heritage plant scheme I became a guardian for Corncockle, along with some endangered vegetables. I undertook to sow the seeds, guard the plants, and then harvest the seed and send it back to HD for their seed banks.

I'm pleased to see my efforts have had a result, and there is now enough to distribute more widely.
Corncockle grows in traditional meadows, so is dependent on traditional farming methods - no weedkillers or fertilisers, and annual cutting for hay at the right time. Mine died out after a few years. Obviously I wasn't reproducing these requirements well enough.
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Roger.
Whilst I generally watch & enjoy Countryfile I do get a bit irritated with the "right-on" PC attitude of John Craven, in particular!
Thank goodness for Adam & his farm!
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Manatee
Here's what Richard Mabey had to say in the excellent Flora Britannica:

Corncockle, Agrostemma githago (VN: Kiss-me-quick)

One of the most attractive of cornfield annuals, with purple flowers which are folded or furled like a flag before they open. Once it was abundant enough to be regarded as a menace, because it made bread bitter-tasting and possibly even poisonous. Cleaner seed corn and modern herbicides have virtually eliminated it from the fields, and these days it is seen only occasionally when old pastureland is ploughed or when it has been deliberately sown in 'wildflower gardens' e.g. in Earlham churchyard, Norwich.
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Pat
A packet was given away free on the cover of my Amateur Gardening a couple of weeks ago!

Pat
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Armel Coussine
So, if you are barmy enough to eat a packet of the seeds, you may get a slight stomach ache and feel a bit indisposed?

God how terrifying. None of us are doomed!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 26 Aug 14 at 15:19
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Crankcase
A slight stomach ache and, allegedly, death of course.

Naughty Girl Guides.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-28935799

BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Zero
So whats next, chop down all the weeping willows just in case? Burn the deadly night shade? Agent Orange on the stinging nettles? We could repatriate all the thistles north of the border post Scottish Independence.

Ridiculous, people who write and complain about this stuff should be forced to live in a country where all the flora and fauna (and even the climate) is out to kill you, not a safe benign place like the UK.
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Crankcase
Agreed. I understand that not only does Australia have some sort of poisonous mollusc that lives in a shell on the beach, the damned things actually chase you into the bargain.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 26 Aug 14 at 15:39
 BBC spread poisonous plants across the UK!!! - Cliff Pope
>> A slight stomach ache and, allegedly, death of course.
>>
>

Reminds me of the Private Eye "A doctor writes".

One began, " I am often asked, as a doctor, are postage stamps dangerous?
The answer is of course, yes. Licking postage stamps causes a rash, convulsions, and ultimately death."
Latest Forum Posts