Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 16   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 104

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 16 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 17 *****

Volume 16 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 15 is here
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 28 Dec 14 at 02:25

One for Zeddo - bathtub tom
www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=684024261652046

One for Zeddo - Zero
good lord

One for Zeddo - henry k
Another ( for all )

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImBrqECYlU

Very impressive !

One for Zeddo - Zero
One thing that irks me about UK steam is the really rubbish whistles we used. All shrill and tinny (except the LMS which was a soft low moan).

One for Zeddo - Ted

The LMS used the Caledonian Railway's ' hooter ' as a standard whistle, IIRC. A brand new, never used one has been donated to the LMS Patriot project.

The engine is looking good now.....just waiting for the boiler to fill in the gap between the cab and smokebox. The three cylinders have been cast by the 'lost polystyrene ' method.

They have a website for anyone interested to have a grice. Quite a few new builds going on ATM. The biggest is Gresley's LNER P2 2-8-2.

One for Zeddo - Duncan
>> a soft low moan).
>>

Where's Bigger Badder Dave when you want him?

One for Zeddo - Armel Coussine
Hurtling into some tunnel with a suggestive whoop and holler...

Bomber formation - sooty123
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKnyrJUOvs&feature=youtu.be

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - Zero
On Friday I scouted out some good places to watch the air display at Wings and Wheels 2014, at Dunsfold Airfield.

On Sunday I camped out for the day and shot this lot.

The Lancasters. As Everyone knows there are a pair doing the rounds in the UK, the Canadian Museum and the BBMF. The two lancs arrived with a Spit and a Hurry, Dunsfold had put up a Hurry and a Spit, so in total there was 12 Merlins roaring around the sky.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=llCIlXs3XnA

The Vulcan. XH-588 rocked up later in the day and roared around at low level, sorry I missed the 90% throttle "Vulcan Howl" moment due to finger trouble.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWgrMz-Z1o0

To Follow. Canberra and Hunter, The Arrows, and an incredible Chinook display.

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - Alastairw
The Chinook does put on a very good show. Much pirouetting across the sky, with the door open.

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - Zero
the chinook

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MopqK7aEug4

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - legacylad
Mightily impress
By coincidence just imbibed several pints of Chinook this evening. Brewed by Goose Eye Brewery near Keighley West Yorks. A permanent beer always on tap at my local. Very hoppy, pale with citrus after taste. Mind you, £2.90 a pint!

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - Duncan
>>By coincidence just imbibed several pints of Chinook this evening. Brewed by Goose Eye Brewery near Keighley West Yorks. A permanent beer always on tap at my local. Very hoppy,
>> pale with citrus after taste. Mind you, £2.90 a pint!
>>

Do they stock it here:-

www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-devonshire

A local brew, they may well do and you can guarantee it will be a lot cheaper than £2.90 a pint! If they don't stock Chinook, there will be several well kept beers at no money.

Plus, of course, the bonus of good food at very reasonable prices!

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - legacylad
I've been to the Dev several times and never seen Chinook on sale there. Not my favourite 'Spoons , a short train ride from where I live, never eaten there either but cheap beer with my CAMRA 50p off a pint vouchers!
It's more of a drinking factory than cosy local

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - Duncan
>> I've been to the Dev several times and never seen Chinook on sale there. Not
>> my favourite 'Spoons , a short train ride from where I live, never eaten there
>> either but cheap beer with my CAMRA 50p off a pint vouchers!
>> It's more of a drinking factory than cosy local
>>

If that one doesn't suit, they have another 900 to choose from.

Dunsfold 2014, Canberra and Hunter - Zero
Canberra PR9 and Hunter T7 - Turn your speakers up, the Hunter make the most delicious long moan, that only Jets of the 50s could ever produce,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIVia9zN6r0

Dunsfold 2014, Lancs, Vulcan. - MD
Good Lord, you do take a very good video Zero. My, can that thing manoeuvre.

Canadian Lancaster - commerdriver
Went to Bournemouth yesterday for the airshow, great day but disappointment not to see the Canadian Lancaster as it is currently out of action with engine trouble, BBMF are lending a Merlin to get it back in the air as soon as possible but it didn't show in Bournemouth at the weekend.

If you are planning to see it later please check the status before you go.

On a brighter note Sunday was far from a total loss as the Vulcan was there for a second day and the Sea Vixen, Hunter and Canberra flypast was worth seeing, as well as a lot of serious helicopter displays.

Canadian Lancaster - Boxsterboy
The Vulcan flew low over us at Bracklesham on the south coast yesterday (heading east), then banked and possibly landed at Goodwood? It was preceded by an American WWII bomber of some description, possibly a Flying Fortress, but in camouflage paint. There is often a Spitfire up over Bracklesham/Wittering, again I believe it is stationed at or near Goodwood.

Canadian Lancaster - Zero
>> The Vulcan flew low over us at Bracklesham on the south coast yesterday (heading east),
>> then banked and possibly landed at Goodwood? It was preceded by an American WWII bomber
>> of some description, possibly a Flying Fortress, but in camouflage paint.

If it had two tail fins it was the Mitchell, if it only had one it was the B17 flying Fortress. It was the Shoreham Air show probably.

Duxford is the place to be in September, but all the world and his nan is descending on the place.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 14:57

Canadian Lancaster - commerdriver
It would have been the B17 Sally B which had been to or was going to Bournemouth or Shoreham, I assume the timings were coordinated to do two shows on the same flight she was at Bournemouth at 1447 - 1457 ish
Vulcan was at Bournemouth about 1530 - 1540 ish

Canadian Lancaster - Bromptonaut
Well, the Lancs are now at Bournemouth and I'm I'm currently by former RAF Holmesley in the caravan

Got a distant view of them this morning while out on bikes and assumed they were transiting E>W north of Bournemouth's Air Traffic Zone, but looks as if the were actually wide downwind to land after their appearance at Goodwood. Out of here tomorrow for repeat at Goodwood then landing back B4 departing back north (to Coningsby?) in afternoon.

Provided BOH is still on easterlies should get a grandstand view of then c11:00.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 22:20

Was at West Wittering beach today, forgot about Goodwood Revival till I saw the signs, so went down there in a wide arc to avoid it.

We got a spit over the beach, didn't see or hear the Lancs, saw the canberra and the hunter while having coffee in the pub garden.

Canadian Lancaster - spamcan61
>> Well, the Lancs are now at Bournemouth and I'm I'm currently by former RAF Holmesley
>> in the caravan
>>
The pair flew over Spamcan Towers (5 mins. from Holmsley) at about 18:40, pretty low and very very very noisy. Can't believe how good 8 Merlins sounded :-)) I was so gobsmacked I forgot to whip out my N8 and video 'em :-/

>> >> Well, the Lancs are now at Bournemouth and I'm I'm currently by former RAF
>> Holmesley
>> >> in the caravan
>> >>
>> The pair flew over Spamcan Towers (5 mins. from Holmsley) at about 18:40, pretty low
>> and very very very noisy. Can't believe how good 8 Merlins sounded :-)) I was
>> so gobsmacked I forgot to whip out my N8 and video 'em :-/

It was 7 a week or so back!

Canadian Lancaster - Bromptonaut
>> The pair flew over Spamcan Towers (5 mins. from Holmsley) at about 18:40, pretty low
>> and very very very noisy. Can't believe how good 8 Merlins sounded :-)) I was
>> so gobsmacked I forgot to whip out my N8 and video 'em :-/
>>

The timings out of BOH this morning were not as publicised - I suspect Goodwood rescheduled them from 11:30 to afternoon. Thought I'd missed them as understandably Mrs B was not keen on spending all day on campsite.

Then after we'd done Swanage and Purbecks we stopped for diesel and supplies at Tesco in Ferndown. Lancs flew over seperately while we we in fuel station/car park.

Later, between Burley and Holmesley, saw both in formation on same detail as Spamcan witnesse. Possibly they'd overflown the Canadian War Memorial we visited on the bikes yesterday.

Canadian Lancaster - spamcan61
>>
>> The timings out of BOH this morning were not as publicised - I suspect Goodwood
>> rescheduled them from 11:30 to afternoon. Thought I'd missed them as understandably Mrs B was
>> not keen on spending all day on campsite.
>>
There were technical problem apparently:-

www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11472214.Historic_Lancaster_aircrafts_due_to_fly_from_Bournemouth_Airport_delayed/

Tangmere (the train - not the airfield) - Zero
..Has its issues, but when its on song its always good for a noisy smoky visual and audio treat when the regulator is cranked to the roof

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoODN9hzdXU

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - R.P.
Seems to have been a busy week here, usual Helicopter sorties day and night, 6 F18s in the area as well as additional joint RN and Danish Navy exercises...and some multi national C130s.

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - R.P.
And a C17 earlier..

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - Zero
I would guess its a bit of skill sharpening for action against ISIS or ISIL or what ever they call it this week.

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - Armel Coussine
There was a helicopter moving around here yesterday at dusk, sometimes very close overhead, but I didn't go out to see it then. It swooped around for a while sometimes going out of earshot. In the end I went out and saw it about a mile away above the trees: a twin-rotor thing. No wonder it made such a clamour.

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - Bromptonaut
>>> mile away above the trees: a twin-rotor thing. No wonder it made such a clamour.
>>

Even my wife can identify a Chinook from the noise.

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - Armel Coussine
>> Even my wife can identify a Chinook from the noise.

Well, I can't. Perhaps after a bit of practice.

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - spamcan61
>> Even my wife can identify a Chinook from the noise.

When Spamette Major was little we lived in Amazingstoke, 'Chinook' was one of her first words!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Sep 14 at 10:11

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - CGNorwich

IZAL ?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 30 Sep 14 at 09:03

Air Movements...RAF Valley. - Zero
>>
>> IZAL ?

Thats torn it, its a slippery slope from here on in.
 Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 16 - sherlock47
www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29409778

Good video - could be tempted to visit exhibition if I was not 1500 km away!

Braunton - Zero
Rather than me go to the steam, this one came to me. A Steam charter from the preserved Mid Hants Railway (The Watercress Line) to the Bluebell Railway, headed by West Country Class "Braunton" was due to pick up pax at my local station - a 10 minute walk away, first time steam has stopped there (on the UP) in half to three quarters of a century.

Walking there I passed the water tanker, and realised it was also a top up, so I asked the bloke where he was going to run the bowser, his reply telling me it was a half way down the station stop. Now I know the drivers of Braunton like to have the drain cocks open (to clear the cylinders) on pull away, I know the engine is a prodigious steamer and would "white out" so I got right to the end of the platform hoping to get the "emerging from its own cloud" shot.

The sun came out, It all worked perfectly, coming up with with what is possibly my best shot of the year.

Now quiz time. What is the bloke doing faffing around with the white disks on the front?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEn6t_JZ0HI

Braunton - Armel Coussine
I used to know what the lamps and discs on the fronts of locomotives were used for, but I've forgotten. Another neat little movie though Know Wun... chapeau. I remember those West Country locos too.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 3 Oct 14 at 13:06

Braunton - Armel Coussine
>> I used to know what the lamps and discs on the fronts of locomotives were used for, but I've forgotten

I think I remember now: to tell signalmen and points operators, as well as platform guards in stations, what train it is and whether it's supposed to stop or just blast on through...

Braunton - sherlock47
Good video, well organised timing of the fast electrics! Could have easily spoiled your party.

Does 'elf & safety not apply to steam engines? Scrambilng across the front of the locomotive without guard rails and the proximity of the passing train surely constitute hazards? Just imagine having to stop and chock the locomotive, clear the adjacent track, errect scaffolding, just to prat about with nameplate and white discs!

Braunton - Fullchat
Headcode discs refer to several things; make up of the train eg express passenger, fitted freight etc.. For Southern region locos often identified route :))

Braunton - Old Navy
I googled it too. :)

Braunton - commerdriver
Just a thought was he pretending to be some significant train from the past?
Great video BTW

Braunton - Zero
>> I googled it too. :)

Well I didn't think he had turned into a Gricer!

Braunton - Zero
Well its an old Southern route, and Southern Railway engine, so Its the route identifier

It arrived wearing the route Merstham and Staines Moor via Guildford, Byfleet Junc and Staines

it left wearing the route Oxted and Brighton via East Grinstead and Lewes

Which was as near accuratel route description it could get.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Oct 14 at 17:06

Braunton - Fullchat
Cant lie. I forward the link to my mate who is big into steam and he told me.

'No cheats. Only winners'

Oliver Cromwell - Zero
Had a bit of a road trip yesterday, and chased a Steam tour.

Oliver Cromwell heading the Cathedrals Express, on a slightly unusual route using the Temple Mills to Cambridge section. Four very different scenes, to kick off we have Ollie emerging from under the very noisy M4 after the water stop at Theal, shot on the close side. Then we have it emerging from one of the Audley End tunnels, shot on the far side. This is followed by finding it, almost by accident, stopped ready to reverse near one of the crossings (the Kings Lynn line) at Queen Adelaide, Ely where it was then dragged by the 47 round the Ely Loop curve, completing a turn of the whole consist and sending it up to March for servicing in one fell swoop, and then a fast pan shot, footplate glowing orange in the gathering dusk approaching Meldreth. The pan almost looks like its speeded up but its not.

Its a little long, bit of a saga Hope you enjoy, because I did. Left home with the dog at 07:00, got home at 21:00, the dog having jumped in every puddle it could find in Berkshire, Essex and Cambridgeshire.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzdRnCmqD0w

Virgin Galactic - sherlock47
Impressive passenger video!
www.chonday.com/Videos/jegalctospc2

I had seen some of the advance publicity but was not aware of how far they had got. Your next holiday?

Virgin Galactic - sherlock47
and now I find out that this is 3.5yrs old - sorry.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZg4HV5Cqo4

landing phase
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 18 Oct 14 at 21:46

A steam Rail motor - Zero
I think this is the oldest thing I have traveled on, Built in 1908

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5RVbMvAbE

(ok I know none of it probably survives from 1908 but hey its a old design)

A steam Rail motor - Slidingpillar
I'll raise you six years and electricity too. Bolton Tram at Blackpool, picture here:
www.flickr.com/photos/10110677@N07/13977438135/

Did the illuminations tour a few years ago in it.

A steam Rail motor - Old Navy
This is the last tram that I was on, not tried the slightly newer Edinburgh ones yet.

www.whitemanpark.com.au/attractions/tram-rides.aspx

www.pets.org.au
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Oct 14 at 22:44

This was the oldest tram i went on

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_class_Adelaide_tram

Thats reminded me, I have possibly travelled on something older, probably on a SF "F" street car or a SF Cable car.

A steam Rail motor - bathtub tom
I'll trump that: www.shuttleworth.org/shuttleworth-collection/aircraft-details.asp?ID=1

Not that you'd ever see me up in anything like that!

A steam Rail motor - Harleyman
During my days on GCR I worked on the line as a pointsman and was lucky enough to get several footplate trips on this little beauty;

www.simplonpc.co.uk/GCR/GNR-No.1_1982-004.jpg

A steam Rail motor - CGNorwich
I seem to remember the water powered Lynmouth cliff railway dates back to the 1890s

A steam Rail motor - Bromptonaut
>> I seem to remember the water powered Lynmouth cliff railway dates back to the 1890s

The first funicular railway in UK was Scarborough's South Cliff Lift dating from (according to Wikipedia) dates from 1875. Originally water operated it was converted to electric power in the forties.

The original cars were replaced between the wars by models made by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds which remain in service today.

Familiar Landmark. - Zero
Probably many of you have seen this sight, but not with this going over the top

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjcle4jAlHo

This was a difficult shot to set up, Yesterday I checked it out, and found out I had to hack my way through a little used public footpath, so bad I had to return with cutters to cut down the thicker brambles that barred the way.

Familiar Landmark. - Alastairw
Surprised that didn't cause an accident on the motorway - I might have been distracted.

Familiar Landmark. - bathtub tom
That thing's a railway bridge? Pass under it often enough (slowly) on my way to my daughter's, Epsom way.

A scot down south - Zero
Unusual Visitor down South, an LMS Royal Scot.

So I went on a road trip to brompies neck of the woods.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJd2YqNpR-U

and again to Rutland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnvkpKr_mE
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 9 Nov 14 at 22:01

A scot down south - legacylad
Serious question.
I regularly see steam specials from my house, often with a diesel at the rear end. Are they just there in case of a failure, or do they do most of the work? I live just outside Settle so there is a bit of uphill. Went from Giggleswick to Lancaster this afternoon and no sign of any steam at Carnforth today.

A scot down south - Zero
>> Serious question.
>> I regularly see steam specials from my house, often with a diesel at the rear
>> end. Are they just there in case of a failure, or do they do most
>> of the work? I live just outside Settle so there is a bit of uphill.
>> Went from Giggleswick to Lancaster this afternoon and no sign of any steam at Carnforth
>> today.

Its there for a variety of reasons

1/ For shunting. The whole train has to be pulled backwards into its departure station by something and out of its arrival station, so you take your shunter along with you

2/ Insurance. Track conditions for Steam at this time of year are bad (second vid the scot lost its feet several times - fantastic driving to keep momentum up). There was a case this time two years ago of Tangmere stuck half way up a hill, unable to gain traction. No back up diesel.

3/ Carriage heating. Steam trains provide steam heating, some carriages do not have steam heat fittings but electric heating. Diesel acts as generator.

As for doing most of the work, the steam crews, wherever possible as a matter of pride and satisfaction, try and provide all the motive power at all times.

Sometimes none of the above is in play, so the Steam loco is sent out on its own.

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 16 - BobbyG
Passed what looked like an old steam train engine on the back of a low loader today in Glasgow. Heard later a news headline regarding some steam train coming to Glasgow but I never heard the full article.

Actually probably have it on my dashcam as I passed it.

Looks like this is what I saw - Number 45170

www.bkrailway.co.uk/welcome-home-45170-event-boness-kinneil-railway/

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 16 - Zero
Ah the Turkish "Churchill" 8f - been at Shildon since 2011.

Seem to recall this was one of two locos moved from turkey - shown here in this documentary on channel 5 - monster moves

www.channel5.com/shows/monster-moves/episodes/episode-3-321

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 16 - Ted

Brilliant story...that's my afternoon stuffed !

Of course, I own 2 of these fine engines....sadly only about 10 inches long !

Well I can vouch for the fact on a slight incline on the M73 yesterday, the low loader was struggling to reach 10mph!!

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 16 - Zero
>> Well I can vouch for the fact on a slight incline on the M73 yesterday,
>> the low loader was struggling to reach 10mph!!

not surprised it would have been about 70 tons

Whistling contest at Rugby - Zero
Today two steam railway tours arrived at Rugby at the same time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRQEy15g6Bw

So they engaged in a whistling contest, and a VT pendolino, and a Freightliner 66 joined in along the way.

A4 at Cholsey - Zero
OOOOhhhhh

this turned out to be an absolute cracker.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtvbyDvBdx0

two black 5's - Zero
Unusual view with the new sportscam....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CRwKGhDCc

two black 5's - Bromptonaut
>> Unusual view with the new sportscam....
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CRwKGhDCc

Were you flushed on there?

Seriously though was that whole camera left between rails or some sort of remote sender device?

two black 5's - rtj70
I'd assumed a cheap camera he'd got recently (well not GoPro prices anyway).

two black 5's - Zero

>> Were you flushed on there?

I assume it was just water from the tenders, if you look you can see the glow form the bottom of the fire grates

>> Seriously though was that whole camera left between rails or some sort of remote sender
>> device?

Yes that was the new sub 40 quid sports camera. I made a special mount for it (out of a section of old hoof board) that fits int he hoof boards on foot crossings.

I checked it was stable and didn't bounce in the 6 foot last week, so went for the 4 foot this week.

two black 5's - commerdriver
Nice one Z, once an engineer, always....

two black 5's - Runfer D'Hills
A tool?

JOKE !!!!!

;-)

two black 5's - Zero
>> A tool?
>>

They know which tools to use and how.......

two black 5's - Armel Coussine
>> Nice one Z,

Technophilia applied in an adventurous stylish way backed by no-nonsense practical ingenuity. Everything from steam technology to the latest cheap Asian magical tat... chapeau Zero.

two black 5's - Zero
Its not a shot worth repeating, they all look the same underneath.

It's a shot I remember from a couple of old black and white movies at least... I wonder how they managed that with those big old movie cameras? Bet it cost them more than it cost you...

two black 5's - Runfer D'Hills
I used to have a nightmare when I was a child about being run over by a train. Or at least lying on a track as one went over.

The right shrink would lay out a really interesting back-narrative on that dream Humph. Fillet your unconscious recall of every trauma back down to the big, fundamental one.

People think that stuff is upsetting until they understand properly that it's absolutely universal. After that, it's just interesting and even a bit useful.

two black 5's - Alastairw
Way back when Brian 'Jonners' Johnson did this for real on radio for 'In Town Tonight'. No idea why.

Sound of the '60s - Mike Hannon
Who needs classic vehicles? We went to a Christmas fair in a village not far from here today and there was live jazz. To me it was a very familiar sound and I discovered, to my great surprise, it was coming from a magnificent electro-mechanical Hammond C3 drawbar organ - a device sought after to this day, I understand, by rock groups and the like. It dates from 1963, the friendly guy told me, and plays as well as ever. The last time I saw or heard one was in Taunton, about 1970, played by the late BBC theatre organist Dudley Savage. You just never know...
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sun 7 Dec 14 at 16:49

Tangmere - Zero
Went to Eastbourne

Filmed here at Cooksbridge

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgd5OsNgwXk

And then turned round at the quaintly named BoPeep Junction.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_98isK9jrk

The whole tour was much rearranged at the last moment, little time being spent in Eastbourne and 50 minutes late back to Victoria due to a fatality on the line at Cooden beach

www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local/update-man-dies-after-being-hit-by-a-train-at-cooden-beach-1-6466272

Bittern - Drone! - Zero
Went to film Bittern today at dawn, planning to get a rising sunny dawn silhouetting the train and smoke over the Digswell viaduct. Weather and timing didn't work out as planned but a moody shot none the less.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3rbMbEOlVM

You will note however, a spec flying over the engine. Its someones drone and here is the footage from said drone

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcxepOG-NDQ

I need a drone!

Bittern - Drone! - No FM2R
>>I need a drone!

Perhaps this would be ideal?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJfM23iChzs

Bittern - Drone! - Zero
>> >>I need a drone!
>>
>> Perhaps this would be ideal?
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJfM23iChzs

er no.

I was thinking more like

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH-agr4blo4

Bittern - Drone! - No FM2R
Could be more fun with this....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=elfj4ytDAJc

Bittern - Drone! - BobbyG
Would imagine it would take some guts initially to put your drone up somewhere like that where its obviously not closeby if it came tumbling down?

Assume they cannot go out of range as such?

Bittern - Drone! - Zero
>> Would imagine it would take some guts initially to put your drone up somewhere like
>> that where its obviously not closeby if it came tumbling down?
>>
>> Assume they cannot go out of range as such?

Oh they can! and do!

Bittern - Drone! - Alastairw
Fwiw I preferred your video to the drone footage. The sound of a speeding train is important to the whole, so unless your proposed drone has a decent microphone don't bother on my behalf.

Bittern - Drone! - Zero
>> Fwiw I preferred your video to the drone footage. The sound of a speeding train
>> is important to the whole, so unless your proposed drone has a decent microphone don't
>> bother on my behalf.

Fear not, I have plans for a parabolic mike, I will record a separate soundtrack and mix it, specially for you.

I have to say I have prior for this, one shot I did the sound was so awful, I dubbed the soundtrack from another occasion on it.

Trains in Trouble - Zero
Popped down to Kent yesterday, to see the last Steam tour before Xmas. The crews had done a really good job in decorating the engines, but this shot turned out to be rather more interesting for another reason I hadn't anticipated.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuBd9Jt6Aaw

Trains in Trouble - Focusless
Would a modern diesel-electric have had the same problem?

Trains in Trouble - Zero
>> Would a modern diesel-electric have had the same problem?

Modern ones? yes and no. There were a couple of Class 375 Electrostar electric multiple units that went through - they are equipped with traction control, and departures were distinctly pedestrian till they had momentum up. Stopping is the main problem with track conditions like that and the 375s are equipped with ALB as well, but stopping distances are increased.

Trains in Trouble - Crankcase
I came across an enjoyable railway anecdote the other day - too long to spell out in full, but in brief:

Arthur Calder-Marshall's father was a season ticket holder, but the commuter train didn't stop at his village station. He wrote to the authorities asking that it should. They replied and said that as only a tiny percentage of passengers (only he would ever use the station for that train) wanted it, it was clearly uneconomic.

He wrote back and said that on the contrary, it was evident that 100% of season ticket holders would use the service regularly, and of course the authorities yielded that point and for ever after the train stopped to pick him up.

Trains in Trouble - swiss tony
>> Would a modern diesel-electric have had the same problem?
>>

It was probably a diesel that made the track greasy, just like diesels do on the roads...
Buses around here probably drop as much as they burn...

And zero - weren't you ever told not to play on railway tracks?
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 24 Dec 14 at 15:37

Trains in Trouble - Zero

>>
>> And zero - weren't you ever told not to play on railway tracks?

Yeah, but do you do everything you are told?

Trains in Trouble - Ted
>> Popped down to Kent yesterday, to see the last Steam tour before Xmas. The crews
>> had done a really good job in decorating the engines, but this shot turned out
>> to be rather more interesting for another reason I hadn't anticipated.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuBd9Jt6Aaw
>>

We saw you !...Rubbing grease on the railhead with your finger to get a more impressive start !

Hope the sandboxes were full.
Latest Forum Posts