Non-motoring > students! - Biting my tonque Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 63

students! - Biting my tonque - RattleandSmoke
The Kia/Top Gear topic got me thinking about this. I have a few friends which live in Fallowfield (a Manchester suburb popular with stu-dents to put a Paul Metcalf spin on it) and did not go to university. All I ever hear is students have done this.....

Everytime there is smashed glass or a bit of noise its always the students. Now the students have cleared off for the summer they are now blaming graduates. Apparantly it is graduates causing all this anti social behaviour now.

I am always the quick to defend students as I know the area well and it has a lot of locals living it and while some students probably do cause problems I think a lot of it is not caused by the local university students.

What do others think? I think the biggest problem with students is they have no sense of local pride so they tend leave bins out and that sort of thing.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 11:23
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Bigtee
Wasn't you young once and did stupid things i know i did let them be young and learn and have the time of there lives at uni, wish i did went to technical college for 7 weeks at a time lived there in livingston in scotland we got up to pretty much the same thing ratts.

This probably is a few students and also the jobless work shy who won't work and sniff glue and inject themselves breaking the bottles.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - BiggerBadderDave
The problem with students is that there are too many off them and too little time to give each of them the good kicking that they all deserve.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - RattleandSmoke
I always lived at home but yes we did a few pranks but we always respected the locals. The worst it really got was being legless on the two buses home after an exam. Being on a bus in rush hour while being completly drunk was not funny.

.*********

Argh one minor naughty word and it blanks the entire thing out. I was saying I simply refuse to believe that these people are all students and graduates. The locals cannot do anything wrong despite some dire census statistics in that part of Manchester (high unemployment etc). However a lot of has changed since 2001.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 22:52
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - rtj70
Walking home from the Academy on Oxford Road late one night and a friend wanted the sign outside the petrol station (now closed).... so I foolishly helped. 10 minutes later the Police arrived and asked what we were doing and told us to take it back. They'd be back soon. We took it to the bus shelter back up the road and legged it!

This was between Rusholme and Fallowfield in around 92/93.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - R.P.
I did some very naughty things whilst a student in a particular northern city...
OK I just remembered one thing I did as a graduate. I got very drunk one night, some blonde in a Mini cooper had parked completly ilegaly. I sort of took matters into my own hands lets just say she might have thought she needed a new cat convertor when all her car really needed was a wash!

I think after that night I promised I would never drink so much again :).

I never went round smashing things up for stealing signs though!
>> I never went round smashing things up for stealing signs though!

The sign was free standing outside the Rusholme petrol station. It would have looked good in his room.

Same garage was useful to buy the Sunday newspaper on the way home on a Saturday night. Well Sunday morning very early.
she might have thought she needed a new cat convertor when all her car really needed was a wash!

What did you do to her pussy?
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - smokie
" think after that night I promised I would never drink so much again :)."

And yet it's become a way of life for you... :-)
Actually do I drink quite a bit less than I used to. I can pace myself a lot better now. We just go to much better places now I don't need to drink as much.

Actually I've got some emberassing pictures of the person in questions boyfriend (who was never a student) I wonder if that will shut her up!
>> Actually do I drink quite a bit less than I used to

But we all hope that's not too much.... and delete the photos.
O come on tell all.?
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - John H
>> " think after that night I promised I would never drink so much again :)."
>>
>> And yet it's become a way of life for you... :-)
>>

Looks like he's had his regular 10 pints tonight.
The pics are not really that bad, nothing he could get into trouble for. Just drunken pranks like him sitting in an old boat or him driving while drinking beer (completly staged but we staged it to look real).

I've not had any booze since Saturday but I am very tired and had too much sugar, which can make me feel a bit tipsey!

Been working into the very early morning trying to sort this flipping rootkit out.

Which reminds of my best prank ever. Back in 1997 my mate got internet access. I wrote a letter saying

"We have found you have been using your internet connection to download ilegal material and we have passed this information onto the police"......

The problem is I addressed it to his mum, and she believed it. It back fired and I got into trouble by mum over it.
>> I've not had any booze since Saturday but I am very tired and had too much sugar, which can make me feel a bit tipsey!

Have you checked yourself out properly....? Doctor etc. Seriously.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 23:40
Why? Just been a bit of a mad hectic week. Nothing more than a sugar overdose. I realise I need to cut down or it will lead to diabeties etc.

b***** students! - Biting my tonque - AnotherJohnH
>> Have you checked yourself out properly....? Doctor etc. Seriously.

[not serious]

It would probably go something like this:

Doctor: "Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week"

Rattle: "Hmm, Doctor, can you help me with my decision? ... which night should I go out?"

[/not serious]

All jest aside, it is a good call.

b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Avant
"The sign was free standing outside the Rusholme petrol station. It would have looked good in his room."

Was that one of those delightful signs they used to have outside filing stations bearing the legend '2-stroke Toilets' ?
>> Was that one of those delightful signs they used to have outside filing stations bearing
>> the legend '2-stroke Toilets' ?
>>

No.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Ted
Well, Ratto, it's a good job you weren't up to your tricks 20 odd years before when I was posted to the Fallowfield beat.

You could easily have been the student I arrested one night for breaking a shop window.
With his belly up against the charge office counter, he suddenly became all educated and refused to talk English, abusing the Desk officer and myself in French, in an arrogant and condescending manner.

A quick application of the 'linguistic headphones' around his ears soon got him back to English !

I don't suppose you're allowed to do that now !

Ted
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Armel Coussine
An immature man in strong drink is a most annoying creature. I blush to remember some of the things I did, and the things done to me in return by indignant figures of various sorts including the police... being released from a police cell in the small hours of the morning with torn clothes, a black eye and a raging hangover, with an impending court appearance and probably terminal trouble with the university hanging over me, is something I remember still, fifty-one years later. And that wasn't the only time either.

Be kind and understanding with the young provided they haven't kicked anyone to death. Their heads hurt and they are very sorry really.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Zero
I dont think rattle knows how to really misbehave.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 09:45
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Fursty Ferret
Having joined the students in Fallowfield for the end-of-year celebrations last Friday it seemed remarkably subdued compared to my last night out in Leeds. You clearly don't know how to do it properly in Manchester.

b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Snakey
Trying living in Durham, the place is overrun with upper class twits (students) honking on about how boring Durham is!
>> honking on about how boring Durham is!

Red granite cathedral and French rs apart, isn't it?
I used to be a moderator on a very large student forum and the Durham section was always a good laugh. Full of snobs who had been sent their by their parents. They thought their university was better than Oxbridge too.

Oxford Brookes is another funny one. Which university do you go to? "Brookes College, Oxford".

The snobby question up in Manchester is "which university did you go to? if you reply "Manchester" you then ask "the real one?" haha

I went to Salford which was a real mixed bag.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Mapmaker
>>Durham is full of snobs who had been sent their by their parents.
>>I went to Salford which was a real mixed bag.

No doubt full of chavs who had been sent there [sic] by their parents.
>> The snobby question up in Manchester is "which university did you go to? if you reply
>> "Manchester" you then ask "the real one?" haha

Well I went to Owens College at the Victoria University of Manchester. That's the snobby answer. We used to call MMU the Mickey Mouse University :-) Why very good Polytechnics had to become Universities is something I don't understand. They were meant to offer a different approach to learning and degrees etc. Now your local technical college hands out degrees as well.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - John H
>> I used to be a moderator on a very large student forum and the Durham
>> section was always a good laugh. Full of snobs who had been sent their by
>> their parents. They thought their university was better than Oxbridge too.
>>

I think Gordon Brown is posting here under the name Rattle. Gordon didn't like the Tories budget, and Gordon had the politics of envy about privately educated students attending top universities. The boy from Eton/Oxford is now running the country while the boy from Salford is thinking of recycling computers. I feel sorry for the snobs whose parents didn't send their children to Salford, and I really feel sorry people who in 2010 still maintain a chip on their shoulder about their class, parentage, or background.

note to self: must refrain from taking the bait and trap so frequently and blatantly laid by Rattle.
Last edited by: John H on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 14:18
There have been a lot of sucessful Salford grads, Andy Bond being one of them.

I wasn't send any where, it was all my own choice and only have myself or what ever to blame. I don't have any chip on my shoulder only the rubbish high school I went to.

I think the problem with the polys becoming universities is that they did not have the research background a university should have.

There is a bit of joke in Manchester which goes like this:-

Manchester - where the best students go to
Salford - Where those that couldn't get into Manchester go to but still want to study
MMU - The biggest party ever.

There is some truth in that, but I have known some very good MMU students and some really bad Manchester ones. My friend went to MMU and she has done very well for herself.

I think Salord Universitty (been a universitty since 1967) went down hill when it merged with Salford Technical College as it inherited a lot of poor departments.

Even now it can't seem to shed its reputation, I thinkt he location dosn't help either.

I also don't understand why I have a labour reputation, I have never voted for them in my life and I did once vote torie.
>> why I have a labour reputation, I have never voted for them in my life and I did once vote torie.

In a moment of lefty weakness Sheikh Rattolo?

The reason I ask is that there are some tat dealers in the Portobello Road who come from Salford and are in fact active BNP men, albeit fairly suave, according to a friend whose flat is above their stalls.

Does the Sheikh have a big swastika tattooed on the back of his neck? I think we should be told.

:o}
Salford is a funny place. It is a city in its own right but dosn't have a city centre, in fact some of Manchester city centre is actually in Salford. The university is in the old Salford city and is actually very close to Manchester city centre.

The problem is Salford has a lot of poor areas it when off the university can feel very white and has that almost BNP feel about it.

I am talking about the old area of Salford here and not all the areas within the Salford City council area.

I am not from Salford, the only reason I went there was that is was the second best rather than fourth best :).
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Dog
>>I also don't understand why I have a labour reputation, I have never voted for them in my life<<

There is hope for you yet then, comrade.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Bellboy
theres no hope while he still lives in manchester
best things out of there are the trains in my opinion
clean
fast
and reasonably cheap
why he could be in a real county in 36 minutes
gods own county too
 Students! - Biting my tonque - Armel Coussine
>> gods own county too

T'feller upstairs's?
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 16:29

>> gods own county too

Cheshire....naturellement !

Ted
>>

>> I wasn't send any where, it was all my own choice and only have myself
>> or what ever to blame. I don't have any chip on my shoulder only the
>> rubbish high school I went to.

So why do you imagine that the "snobs" who go to Durham have all been sent there by their parents, rather than making their own choice?

What bigoted ignorance; a perfect Labour voter - I guess you go down very well with the BNP.
From my experience of dealing with 10000's of students on the forum I used to moderate. It was always the the ones which went to very old universities which were not Oxbridge which were the most snobby.

I knew a lot of students in Manchester that chose to study there instead of Oxbridge. A few would have got in easily. One was a from a family that were friends to the Queen and family. He was embarrassed to admit his background but it somehow got asked. The family went to the Palace at least once a year for a meal (not a state occasion .... a real invite).

My sister probably would have done too but she refused to apply. She did apply to Durham, Warrick, Lancaster, York and Manchester. In the end she went to Manchester as she didn't see the point on going any where else.

Rob back in the early 90's I was told Manchester was the most popular university by far because of the Hacienda effect. Even now Manchester as a city is the most popular place to study per place. All three of the universities are very popular and MMU is now one of the most popular.

Interestly when I was a moderator on that site I did some research and found a very big divide between North West universities and ones in the South.

I know Manchester University is very highly regarded but I don't think the league tables do it justice.

What is interesting is parts of Salford are now getting the south Manchester effect, while their bakery's probably won't be selling brioche any time soon the traditional corrie parts of Salford are becoming more trendy as graduates are staying on in the area more.

I studied in Manchester based on the reputation of the Computing department. I was glad I got reject from Cambridge as I wanted to go to Manchester but got persuaded to apply to Cambridge. I got the results to have got into Cambridge too.

If I had not gone to Manchester then I would not be living here now. And had I not done 3 years post grad then I'd have not met some friends.... and a friend of a friend of one of those invited my wife to a meal which I was also at.... the rest is history ;-) Or was that destiny?

>> If I had not gone to Manchester then I would not be living here now.

Rob, I thought you might be round for a cuppa.
It's gone cold now so I'll have to make another !

Ted
What about tomorrow afternoon if I bring a flask ;-) I assume V+ to DVD recorder still needs sorting.
Rob, thanks....thats fine by me....snip - phone number removed and emailed to Rob so you don't end up getting crank calls if you need it.

Regards
Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 12:54
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Fursty Ferret
I couldn't imagine going to a University in my home town. I was home from Leeds for Christmas and summer (and not even that one year).
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Iffy
...Trying living in Durham the place is overrun with upper class twits ....

Snakey,

Yes it is, but many of them are very easy on the eye, which to me more than makes up for their upper class twitishness.

Student overheard talking on her mobile in Marks and Spencer in Silver Street:

"Oh Chloe! They've got brioche!"

Last edited by: ifithelps on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 18:01
you try getting brioche and spelt bread in Manchester!
You will be able to get both of them at the bakery at the end of my road easily.

If not the artisan bakery will have both of them.

I think you're confusing south Manchester with Salford :).
Heh heh... Paris on the Ship Canal so to speak...

Pain aux lardons anyone?
Give a manchester student a baguette and he will think its a star wars light sabre with flat batteries.

As ratboy says, we have one of the finest bakeries anywhere in the realm, just at the end of his road........They make and sell many different, award winning types of bread as well as a huge range of deli products...some that you can't find elsewhere.

I'm not sure they sell lardons though, Armel. Not of the bacon persuasion.
We always have a pack in the fridge........easily available at the Asda in Hulme

When I've finished kicking the whippet, I enjoy a chip and lardon butty

Ted
>>
>> As ratboy says, we have one of the finest bakeries anywhere in the realm, just
>> at the end of his road........They make and sell many different, award winning types of
>> bread as well as a huge range of deli products...some that you can't find elsewhere.

Aye, thirty five types of barm cake, some even wi cheese.
Or if the bakery dosn't suit you we have a vegan supermarket which only sells organic food. One old run down little shop near me now sells cup cakes, it is all they make and it is so popular they have just opened a second store.

I am pretty sure the area can give any place down south a run for its money in terms of the posh food choice.
I have to say I believe every word of what the Sheikh and Ted say about decent bakeries. You have to go a long way to find one here these days. Easy enough to find elaborate and pretentious, OK if you have the money and they have what you want, but decent bakeries are getting thin on the ground. They were always easier to find in the provinces.

Those pub mutton pies in Scotland, and a meat pie thingy I got in Alnwick once... yum yum (looks over shoulder anxiously for HJ specialised far eastern swear filter). I won't say you can't find a nice pie in London, but I haven't noticed one for ages. I don't mean flyblown five quid jobs in posh delicatessens, I mean decent pies. It's enough to make you emigrate to Australia.

Bit of topic drift to go with the piccalilli.
The area where me and Ted live is quite trendy. They sell more Guardian magazines here than any where else outside of London. Probably explains why a lot of our local food stores have been featured in the Guardian.

It isn't the most expensive part of Manchester or the poshest but it still one of the more expensive places to live in the North West.

The old village still has a village green and is next to some lovely countryside (where I go bike riding) and its still just 3.5 miles from the city centre which makes it is a popular place.

I agree though some of the bakeries here are pretentious, the cup cake place charges over £2 per cake and they are tiny for example. However we still have a lot of tradtional butchers in the 'village'. We have a mini tesco, three co-ops and a medium sized Morrisons but it is the independant shops which thrive here. There is a very anti supermarket feel to the place. We do have a traditional shopping area too full of all the usual tatty stores like Hampson's, Quality Save and B&M (was woolies).

A lot of wealthy hippy types live here, yes the local MP is lib dem and the favourite mode of transport is is on four or six wheels but dosn't have an engine!

My aunty and uncle took over a traditional bakery and they make all the breads by hand (no pre mixes) and they make lovely cakes etc. It is so cheap its almost worth going over to Wales especialy! They now have a very good reputation for quality but the prices are cheaper than Greggs and because of that combination it is making a lot of money.

I know you live 'on the other side of the tracks ' Rats but our MP here is very far from Lib Dem....Sir Gerald Kaufmann.....expensive cerial bowl enthusiast !

Ted
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - R.P.
The Guardian is a Manchester paper - not that you'd catch me reading it !
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Snakey
I have to admit your're right there! They all have a distinctive look, as if they should be on a Polo pony...

Edit: that was in reply to ifithelps but I had a mouse-finger moment.
Last edited by: Snakey on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 12:36
Funny how it has come full circle. In the 1920s Chorlton-cum-Hardy was a nice village on the outskirts of Manchester, where the relatively well-off people lived.

By the 1970s it was a no-go area.

And now, here's Rattle describing it as posh...
Rattle, I live on the outskirts of Weybridge. You have no idea what posh means. M&S was thrown out because it was too down market. The poor people shop in Waitrose.
 b***** students! - Biting my tonque - Dog
Posh! I'll tell ya what posh is ... byrd I know, worked for pink floyd nigh on 30 years,
big owse in Kensington, holly days on the sore bonn etc., etc. etc.
When I explained about a prob with my £70 shoes, she said,
"well, what d'ya expect with cheap shoes - ya can't get a decent pair for under £300"!

>> By the 1970s it was a no-go area.

'Ere you, I was living here all through the 70s.......perhaps that's why, on reflection !
Ratto was just a glint in the milkman's eye then !

Ted
It has never been a no go area as far as I am aware. Yes it has a big council estate at one end but the rest has never been a no go area. The area probably did go down hill like the rest of Manchester in the 70's and 80's but certainly by the late 90's it had become trendy. It has always been one of the better parts of Manchester to live in it is just in recent years it has become even better.

Ted you sure you have god old Gerold as your MP? Mine is John Leech, I would have thought you came under Chorlton Park ward. I am in Chorlton ward.

And watch what you say about the milk man, we don't want old Dennis sueing you! :p
Latest Forum Posts