Non-motoring > England-What next Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 61

England-What next - Cpt. Flack
Capella went on record today to say the team was tired. Boo hoo, poor things.

Okay then, if we qualify for the next World Cup tournament in 4 years time how about this. The season 2003/4 for the Premiership is cut and finished by March of 2004. This gives the squad enough time to rest and play together as a team. By the start of the finals they might have gelled sufficiently to actually play decent football.

In the meantime. Lock them in a room together over the summer and play them recordings of their matches and show them where they went wrong. And play them the matches from the quarter finals onwards to show them where they can go right. If that fails to inspire them, clear the lot out and pick a squad from the next division, who might show some passion to play for their country.

As for Capella. Keep him on. You can't blame every manager we have had over the past 10 years or so. (Or even since '66) It's the players. Have a sort out and see what we can do.
 England-What next - rtj70
>> Capella went on record today to say the team was tired

So he admits picking the wrong team then. If he knew they were too tired why take them?

One problem is the players having the chance to play together - and blame the premiere league for too many foreign players.

And one foreign (Argentine) player that was not tired was Tevez.... where does he play?

As for Capella, even I (as a non-footy supporter) could do as well as he has. Choosing players is easy and tactics and all the rest has the rest of the management team to help. So I offer (as a Welshman) to do a fixed price of 4 years and £2m total including travelling. Bargain?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 22:01
"So I offer (as a Welshman) to do a fixed price of 4 years and £2m total including travelling. Bargain?"

And employ a great accountant ;-)
 England-What next - Zero
England were crap (are crap) because we do not have a pool of world class players to choose from.

We do not have a pool of world class players, because the major premier league teams employ the players of other countries, rather than develop the home talent.

We employ the best players of other countries because the premier league has to much money and there is too much pressure for *instant* success.

Untill this changes England will always be behind the best in the world.
 England-What next - SteelSpark
>> We do not have a pool of world class players, because the major premier league
>> teams employ the players of other countries, rather than develop the home talent.

I think that we do. Depends how you quantify world class of course and probably not in every position, but I don't think that any team has a world class player in every position (again, depends what you mean by world class).

Certainly Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand (although he was injured) and Ashley Cole would be regular starts in any team in the world. The likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Milan and Inter regularly try to buy them for immense amounts of money. That is over half the team.

The likes of Barry, Milner, Carrick, Defoe are maybe not the same level but they are no slouches, and again, which team has all 11 regular starting players that are often very high in the shopping list for those clubs?

We do struggle with strikers, and I don't think that playing the likes of Heskey or Crouch is going to get you very far against good sides. I seriously question Capello, especially given the defending against Germany. When it comes to internationals the coach has to take absolute responsibility for tactics, because there is not the same team cohesion as in club football.

But, as I said elsewhere, we need to be realistic about what success and failure are. The top 8 teams in the world are very, very good. Statistically, each of them should only expect to get to the semis, every other world cup, and expect to win it only once every 32 years.

So, IMHO a new coach and groom some strikers, and probably a keeper too.

England-What next - Stuu
Lower expectations. People seem to think the UK is situated in South America and therefore our players should be able to play like they are from there. We arent, they cant.

Just aswell we didnt go against Argentina, they would have made us look like a weekend team.

The answer is most likely investment in supporting rising stars, but where the money comes from with things as they are is somewhat tricky. Its just a game.
 England-What next - BobbyG
Well I had the pleasure of watching the game in Harrogate with an English aunt. I managed to stifle my shouts of joy but unfortunately my son didn't.

The simple fact is, contrary to what the press etc think, England are not world beaters and they are not world class. They do not deserve to be counted as being prospective champions.

A big part of the problem is the press building them up to thios because there are so many industries and jobs created through it. Whether it be advertising campaigns, special editions or whatever they stir up the hype so that they can benefit from it!

Be like Scotland, accept you are poor due to a whole variety of reasons and look on any qualifications as a bonus!! :)
 England-What next - BobbyG
Oh and apparently Brazil playing tonight was a wee sideshow to the fact that the referee was English. Thats all the commentators seemed to talk about.
 England-What next - Zero
>> Be like Scotland, accept you are poor due to a whole variety of reasons and
>> look on any qualifications as a bonus!! :)

Does not make the scots joy at englands failures excusable tho. If the tables were turned there would not be the same situation south of the border.

All the scotish football fan cares about is beating the english, and with such lowly ambitions they are doomed to perpetual failure.
>> All the scotish football fan cares about is beating the english, and with such lowly
>> ambitions they are doomed to perpetual failure.

Given how obsessed the Scots seem to be with the English, in football and in other matters, I think they would be dumbstruck if they realised just how little consideration the English give to issues north of the border.

All the envy and wanting to beat the other, is very much a one way street.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 22:39
 England-What next - Roger.
God is an Englishman.
(But just not interested in sports)
Last edited by: landsker on Thu 1 Jul 10 at 13:06
 England-What next - Focusless
>> Does not make the scots joy at englands failures excusable tho. If the tables were
>> turned there would not be the same situation south of the border.

Presumably that's because the English don't feel (and don't have a history of beiing) 'oppressed' by the Scots.
>> Presumably that's because the English don't feel (and don't have a history of beiing) 'oppressed'
>> by the Scots.

It's been 700 years since we got rid of that terrorist Wallace and almost 300 since our last away victory at Inverness.

Time to let bygones be bygones? :)
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 22:58
 England-What next - Zero
And its been years since we last beheaded one of their queens.
>> Time to let bygones be bygones? :)

Oh I agree - just saying it's easy to see why things are a bit lop-sided.
 England-What next - Zero
No to be honest we are struggling.

The real reason of course is jealousy.
 England-What next - R.P.
Trouble is we English have never been oppressed by anyone since the Normans, rather boringly it gives some factions a feeling of superiority towards other peoples. It's not our apparent superiority or the Hand of God but the Breath of God and good luck that has prevented this being the case for hundreds of years.

snipped because someone got the wrong end of the stick - not meant as being offensive to my adopted country.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 23:14
snipped rather than me offend someone
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 23:14
 England-What next - R.P.
Only repeating what was said to me.
 England-What next - Zero
>> >> In conversation with a chap in the village the other it seems that the
>> Welsh have half a
>> >> dozen words for "because" as they have to keep having to explain themselves to
>> other >> >> people

Or because they keep making excuses?
 England-What next - Zero
If you look at Englands record in international tournaments, a ranking of 8 in the world is about right, and it has been about right since the mid 50s

We are also probably ranked about right as 4th or 5th best in Europe, again a very consistent ranking for many years.
 England-What next - Avant
As someone said above, they don't play together often enough as a team. And when they do, being managed by someone who can barely string a sentence together in English isn't going to help.

Harry Redknapp could have had them playing as a team right from the start.
Last edited by: Avant on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 23:47
 England-What next - henry k
what next?
"Meanwhile, the FA has confirmed that a number of England players were the victims of a theft at their hotel in Rustenburg.
A number of unnamed players had shirts, a medal and underwear taken by members of the cleaning staff at their Royal Bafokeng base.
The goods were eventually located and returned, while five hotel workers were convicted of the thefts by a special World Cup court.

Some words on "Hysterical, deluded and thoroughly English"
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8768122.stm

England-What next - Zero
>> Harry Redknapp could have had them playing as a team right from the start.

he didnt at west ham, all he did was walk out with the contents of the till.
 England-What next - Armel Coussine
Do West Ham have wheels on their houses Zero? Just checking.
 England-What next - Zero
And he left portsmouth bereft of money, funnily enough it was the same chairman as well.
 England-What next - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Okay then, if we qualify for the next World Cup tournament in 4 years time
>> how about this. The season 2003/4 for the Premiership is cut and finished by March
>> of 2004. This gives the squad enough time to rest and play together as a
>> team. By the start of the finals they might have gelled sufficiently to actually play
>> decent football.
>>
Errr, no.
That's exactly what South Africa did.
Finished the league early, then had training camps in Brazil and Germany.
And they were still way below par.
I was referring to England. And giving it a try can't be any worse. We've been in the doldrums since '66.
How can you compare England to SA anyway?
 England-What next - Zero
>> I was referring to England. And giving it a try can't be any worse. We've
>> been in the doldrums since '66.

Not really. 66 was an unusual peak. Check out the English record before and after 66.

>>How can you compare England to SA anyway?

Very easily. they were both under-performing numpties.
BUT at least we have the excuse that we're a developing nation, what's England's excuse this time?

South Africa - African champions 1996, runners-up 1998, third-spot in 2000.

What's the FA's trophy cabinet looking like at the moment?
 England-What next - Zero
>> South Africa - African champions 1996, runners-up 1998, third-spot in 2000.

Getting worse then, a sprial of decline.

Lets me honest, the African championship is a joke, usually ending in corruption, a coup or war,
after just 18 years of international football, we can't complain.

As opposed to England's four-yearly 'this time we'll get it right' attitude.

I must admit, England 2010 was the most dismal looking shower I've seen for a long time.
>> I must admit, England 2010 was the most dismal looking shower I've seen for a long time.
>>
I did enjoy the item in the press a couple of days ago
It showed a weather map of England with the caption
" Sunny outlook in many areas but depression over Heathrow as a shower drifts in from South Africa"
 England-What next - Zero
South africa were as good as they were going to get, or indeed have ever been.
 England-What next - Iffy
...South africa were as good as they were going to get...

So were England.

England are among the top 16 teams in the world, but towards the bottom of that list.

As such, they just about reached reasonable expectations in this World Cup.

They did not reach the unreasonable expectation of winning it.

England-What next - R.P.
According to the FIFA rankings they are 8th whilst USA are at 14 and Uruguay are at 16, Slovenia are at 26th - by any forecast they should have won at least one. At least Germany (6th) were destined to beat them.....!
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290060/World-Cup-2010-Frank-Lampards-disallowed-goal-prompts-flood-internet-virals.html

Out sense of humour survives

Blatter is still in the real world - just.
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8771294.stm
 England-What next - RichardW
Tired? You've got to laugh really.... There are what 38 league matches, and maybe 20 cup matches on top of that, let's say 60 matches of 90 mins each, that's 90 hours total over the season.

The Tour De France starts on Saturday - that is c90 hours of riding over three weeks! OK they appear not to be working flat out all the time, but not many amateurs would hang on the back of the peloton for long - and there's no where to hide on the long climbs: Col du Tormalet TWICE this year - that's 17km climbing in one direction and 18.5 in the other topping out at 2115m. There is a 'rest' day in between but that will probably involve a long ride out too.

Mark Cavendish did complain about being a bit tired by the end last year, but still managed to sprint over the line at over 40mph well ahead of the field in Paris.

Overpaid, over pampered, and over inflated egos more like...
 England-What next - Zero
>> The Tour De France starts on Saturday - that is c90 hours of riding over
>> three weeks! OK they appear not to be working flat out all the time, but
>> not many amateurs would hang on the back of the peloton for long -

They would if they were given the drugs and blood transfusions the pros were given.

Tour de France

Finest sporting spectacle chemistry can produce.
>> Tour de France
>>
>> Finest sporting spectacle chemistry can produce.

Full coverage on ITV4 from Saturday BTW.
 England-What next - Snakey
Players in England seem to be players for the money and celebrity glory alone. They are desparete to sell photos of their tacky weddings to brain dead magazines. They don't seem to care whether they win the world cup or not, as they are financially secure for life before they even get there.

I'm sure a lot of other countries players are similar, but maybe they have a bit more drive and passion - i.e Brazil where some of the players have literally played their way out of the ghettos etc.
 England-What next - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> Tour de France
>> >>
>> >> Finest sporting spectacle chemistry can produce.
>>
And you think there is no doping in football?
 England-What next - R.P.
l didn't think so but I'll concede that the England team seemed to be doped recently.
 England-What next - Zero
no they were dopes, not doped.
 England-What next - Zero
>> And you think there is no doping in football?

on the scale of Le Tour? No nothing else comes even close, levels not even seen in a chinese olympic swimming camp.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 20:51
But some of what is now done for the Tour de France is not drugs. As said above, blood transfusions etc. with your own blood. Hard to detect that in a test.
>> >> And you think there is no doping in football?
>>
>> on the scale of Le Tour? No nothing else comes even close, levels not even
>> seen in a chinese olympic swimming camp.
>>
Operation Puerto, which uncovered major drug abuse a few years ago had more footballers, athletes and tennis players than cyclists under suspicion of blood doping. Of the 200 athletes who had blood stored with Dr Eufemiano Fuentas, the subject of the investigation, only 34 were cyclists. It was the cyclists the media focused attention on because it made better headlines and there were widespread suspicions that pressure from the football authorities prevented the investigation from reaching a succsessful conclusion.
 England-What next - Fursty Ferret
Yeah, I was going to buy a road bike but couldn't afford the drugs bill that went with it.
 England-What next - Bromptonaut
>> Mark Cavendish did complain about being a bit tired by the end last year, but
>> still managed to sprint over the line at over 40mph well ahead of the field
>> in Paris.

Mark Cavendish is a Manxman - does that count as English? Brad Wiggins is however a hopeful for he podium.
 England-What next - RichardW
"Mark Cavendish is a Manxman - does that count as English?"

He was certainly lauded as British last year when he won nearly 1/3 of stages!

" Brad Wiggins is however a hopeful for he podium"

He was pretty close last year - let's hope he doesn't get dropped on the last climb this year!
>> "Mark Cavendish is a Manxman - does that count as English?"
>>
>> He was certainly lauded as British last year when he won nearly 1/3 of stages!
>>
>> " Brad Wiggins is however a hopeful for he podium"
>>
>> He was pretty close last year - let's hope he doesn't get dropped on the
>> last climb this year!
>>
Bradley Wiggins was born in Belgium.
 England-What next - Tooslow
As someone who is indifferent to football, may I suggest that we simply have a team of overpaid, spoilt, multi-millionaires who would rather have been out shopping?

Future success in the Football World Cup lies with third world countries whose players have some national pride.

JH
 England-What next - Iffy
...we simply have a team of overpaid, spoilt, multi-millionaires...

England are a top 16 nation who finished joint ninth.

Where's the beef?

England-What next - Zero
>> Where's the beef?

In Brazil and Argentina, they send it over in tins
 England-What next - Ted

Breaking news....
A man has broken into Manchester United's trophy room and stolen the entire contents.

Police say they are looking for a man carrying a rolled up red carpet !

I'll get etc.

Ted
 England-What next - Falkirk Bairn
>>
>> Breaking news....
>> A man has broken into Manchester United's trophy room and stolen the entire contents.

2 break-ins in London

Thief made off with trophies from Chelsea and the FA Headquarters

He only got £1000 per trophy from the fence for the Chelsea Silverware, he got £1m per trophy from the FA.

£1,000 and £1m - Why? - rarity value said the fence.
Al Qaeda have released a video which they claim proves that Osama Bin Laden is still alive. In it he says that England's abject performance in the World Cup was proof that the west was finished as a power.

MI5 have dismissed the claims, saying the video could have been made anytime in the last 40 years.
 England-What next - devonite
Just heard that England are to play a "friendly" against Iceland as a "Morale" booster!!

and if they do alright in that, Asda, Somerfield and Tesco are interested!
 England-What next - Falkirk Bairn
Brazil Manager falls on his sword for the country's failure.

Capello banks another £0.5m for a "month's work"
Fabio Capello is to continue as England manager despite the team’s poor World Cup showing.
The decision was made after a meeting by the Club England Board in which Sir Dave Richards, Alex Horne, Sir Trevor Brooking and Adrian Bevington unanimously agreed that Capello should continue to lead England.
Sir Dave Richards said: “We are all still extremely disappointed at our performance in South Africa, and we believed it was important we took some time to reflect in a calm and considered manner back in England.”
“He went into the World Cup with a reputation as one of World football’s finest managers and we are confident Fabio will benefit from his first international tournament experience. “

WTF!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!
 England-What next - smokie
Dave Richards runs Aston Martin Racing doesn't he? Or is it Lotus now? Something like that. Different one no doubt.

And I'm not a footy fan but I haven't heard of a Club England Board.
 England-What next - devonite
Crappello >>will benefit from his first international tournament experience. “<
Says it all really! - team consists of Novice international manager, one sacked and still smarting disgruntled ex-captain, replacement captain isn`t even his clubs regular one, he`s hardly played a game all season and still manages to get injured before the games even start, and the replacement replacement captain is the third choice one who guided his club team to a magnificent 7th?? in the league. Then theres the Rooney, who according to all the press hype was the new St George! - all we needed, a one man team - how could we lose? actually, he did nothing" damp squib that fizzled out. Lampard was almost reported missing, and it was such a shock when he scored that the officials did not believe it. As for our defence well....... if Crappello had played 9-1-1 - nine goalies and two defenders, they(Germany) would still probably have knocked us out!! I think Crappello should have probably called 911!

The only two that might have given us hope would have been Defoe and Crouch starting up front, but Crouchy hardly got a run! and when we were desperately chasing three goals, he brought Hesky on! ?????????

We was doomed from the off! and now he`s staying, we`re doomed till he goes!
and it`s the supporters who are being conned out of thier hard earned!

It`s a funny ole game!
Latest Forum Posts