Non-motoring > Pseudo-warfare Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 14

Pseudo-warfare - Armel Coussine
The news channels tell us that the US is supplying 'sophisticated weapons' to elements fighting in Iraq.

In illustration, we are shown a repeated clip of three or four cats leaping out dramatically from behind a wall and firing some old rocket grenades and a few bursts of small-arms fire, all very clearly undirected. The enemy if there was one must have been equally incompetent not to nail at least one of them.

Why do the media think they can palm people off with this infantile crap? It's insulting.
 Pseudo-warfare - Mike Hannon
Yes, it is.

Ps: I am enjoying your increasingly vituperative new persona AC. Shame the book and the TV series has already been done!
 Pseudo-warfare - Ambo
Having been trained as an infantryman, I cannot believe that many of such shots are not posed or at least are enacted by show-offs for the benefit of cameras. Under real battle conditions, I can't I imagine a soldier walking out into the open and firing off dozens of rounds, as is seen so often on screen.
 Pseudo-warfare - sooty123
>> Having been trained as an infantryman,

I think that's the key difference.
>> >> Having been trained as an infantryman,

>> I think that's the key difference.

Well, yes. I didn't have to do National Service, they were winding it up in my day and I got a grade 3 medical (childhood ear operation). But once a week for two years at my last school one had to wear a squaddy's uniform and go through some basic infantry training under an honorary Captain (really a retired Irish guards RSM, a ferocious-seeming but kindly man with a fine moustache). He liked me because although a lousy soldier with no OLQs I was a good rifle shot and had a special, unique gold badge on my uniform to prove it. Of course recalcitrant, reluctant squaddies were meat and drink to him. He would have felt lost if we had all been terrifically keen.

But it doesn't take any infantry training to tell you that unaimed bursts of automatic fire are just a waste of ammo - heavy stuff soldiers have to carry on their persons -, or that old bazookas hardly constitute 'sophisticated weapons'. To think otherwise is childish and stupid.
 Pseudo-warfare - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Ps: I am enjoying your increasingly vituperative new persona AC.

I've noticed that regulars on a forum circle round each other and gradually start to take on each others' characteristics.
AC is becoming more like Zero, and Zero has become milder and less vituperative in old age.
:)
 Pseudo-warfare - smokie
"Zero has become milder and less vituperative in old age" - he'll be taking that as a challenge... :-)
 Pseudo-warfare - Old Navy
Yes, it won't last long.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 22 Aug 14 at 12:03
 Pseudo-warfare - Roger.
>> Yes, it won't last long.
>>

It hasn't!
 Pseudo-warfare - Zero
>> "Zero has become milder and less vituperative in old age" - he'll be taking that
>> as a challenge... :-)

If he knew what it meant, he might.
>> AC is becoming more like Zero, and Zero has become milder and less vituperative

I'm sure Zero is every bit as flattered by the comparison as I am.

'Milder'? 'Less vituperative'? FFS!

(Memo to Zero: do you think a concerted assault on this turbulent priest might be amusing? No, I daren't, you're too treacherous...)
 Pseudo-warfare - CGNorwich
The report I saw illustrated the lack of sophisticated weapons with just such a shot.
 Pseudo-warfare - Old Navy
This outfit that is causing problems in the middle east don't seem to be impressed now that they are on the wrong end of a little western air power.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 22 Aug 14 at 17:02
 Pseudo-warfare - Fullchat
I was watching a news clip the other week with the reporter all decked out in body armour and kevlar helmet. Somehow the camera caught a glimpse of the film crew (might have been a reflection) all dressed in T shirts.

Have to agree all this standing out in the open spraying bullets into thin air is purely for effect and frankly looks pathetic.
 Pseudo-warfare - Slidingpillar
Those who shoot bullets in the air could well do to remember what goes up must come down.
Latest Forum Posts