Non-motoring > Ice bucket challenge thingy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 20

Ice bucket challenge thingy - BobbyG
Thoughts?

A good harmless laugh?
If it raises money then what the harm?
OR
An excuse for celebs to groom their egos?
A form of online bullying?
A subliminal way of showing how much influence social media has over our lives?

Ice bucket challenge thingy - rtj70
And one of the guys who started it all died from drowning at only 27 on Saturday.

www.independent.co.uk/news/people/als-ice-bucket-challenge-cofounder-corey-griffin-drowns-aged-27-9681129.html

It has raised a lot more money this year than in previous years for this cause. But I'm not sure the 'celebs' getting involved is necessarily a good thing.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 21 Aug 14 at 22:38
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - rtj70
I have an issue with this challenge though.... where is the ice? No ice = warm water??

More about egos I think? No necessarily a bad thing.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 23 Aug 14 at 00:19
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - mikeyb
8 year old boy next door has just done it and challenged our 8 year old, so we will be getting the ice out of the freezer tomorrow.

Nice to see Clarkson getting involved...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU6pB7s7rtg does contain some naughty words
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - madf
Properly cold water makes nipples stand to attention.

I've looked for them and can't find them/. Ergo not really ice cold water. (1C or lower) Iced water is NOT ice cold.
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Roger.
>> Properly cold water makes nipples stand to attention.
>>
>> I've looked for them and can't find them/. Ergo not really ice cold water. (1C
>> or lower) Iced water is NOT ice cold.
>>

I'd pay to see Carol Kirkwood so drenched - especially in a tee-shirt!
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Fursty Ferret
Seems a bucket full of water is heavier than it looks:

bit.ly/1uRVzrW
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Cockle
Don't want to spoil anyone having fun but I thought the whole object of the exercise was to raise money for charity.

Now, the 'rules', as I've had them explained to me, are that if you don't have the ice poured over you then you pay a 'fine' of £10 but if you do then you only pay £3.

So, if I'm getting this right, you can just pay up the £10 to the charity or prove to the world that you are so tight that you are prepared to deprive a charity of £7 by going through the discomfort of having cold water thrown over you. Surely the object of the exercise is to raise as much money for charity as possible not get out of paying.....
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Fursty Ferret
Or if you're an unpleasant Korean phone and TV manufacturer, you hijack the whole thing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4Gqt-ljb4

I mean, that's low.
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Harleyman

>> I mean, that's low.
>>

Oh I dunno. Gets the word round a bit further (as if any of us need to be reminded) and makes a change from the usual; carp smartphone adverts.

It'll all be forgotten about in a week. Hops so; for all its good intentions I'm thoroughly bored with it already.
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Duncan
>> Or if you're an unpleasant Korean phone and TV manufacturer, you hijack the whole thing:
>>
>>

What is unpleasant about them?
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Cliff Pope
"A good harmless laugh?
If it raises money then what the harm?"

But it doesn't of course. The point is that they pay £100 in order to avoid being splashed.

So either it is a harmless laugh, or it raises money, but not both.
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Pat
Not quite accurate in the circle I mix in Cliff!

You pay £10 not to be soaked and £3 if you accept the challenge.

It actually does do both.

Pat
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Alanovich
Or, you completely ignore the "challenge" and give money to whatever charity you see fit, whenever you see fit, and thump anyone who approaches you with an ice bucket.

Harumph.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 26 Aug 14 at 15:14
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Pat
Yes Alanovic, I accept that is an option.......but a boring one.

Pat
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Bromptonaut
Can't work out how to share but kid's cuz has posted his. Water poured by his g/f on one side and his 93yo Grandmother, clad in her cagoule on other! As one comment has it, the lady in red stole the show.
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Old Navy
The local kids upgraded the challenge to jumping into a disused flooded quarry, until one didn't surface. He was cremated today.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 21:57
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Fenlander
>>>local kids upgraded the challenge to jumping into a disused flooded quarry, until one didn't surface. He was cremated today.

I'm uncomfortable with the peer pressure element of this and similar activities that can soon cross over into reckless taking chances with injury... and also can involve bullying elements when someone "just doesn't want to do it".
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - BobbyG
My thoughts exactly Fenlander - I have been accused of being a bah humbug etc and I do have a bad habit of occasionally looking too deep and meaningful into things.

However in my opinion this is bullying and the underlying gripe is the fact that this has pretty much been carried throughout the world on Facebook and that just shows how powerful a tool it is.

Ice bucket challenge thingy - TheManWithNoName
My idea of the challenge involves a silver plated ice-filled bucket and a chilled bottle of Moet...
 Ice bucket challenge thingy - Fenlander
>>>My thoughts exactly Fenlander - I have been accused of being a bah humbug etc

I am sensitive to this as eldest daughter has just made the first year at uni. Some of these "dares for a laugh" are health and/or life threating, belittling or just plain cruel.... and I guess she's not told me of the worst ones. The fact that someone's discomfort is then immediately uploaded to Facebook or whatever for the amusement of others makes it even worse.
Latest Forum Posts