Non-motoring > Puppy Advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 6

Puppy Advice - mikeyb
Quick question for the dog lovers on here.

We are dog sitting our friends puppy for a few days. He's a Labrador and 16 weeks old.

I'm not sure how far he should be walking - he's not that keen

I thought Labradors needed quite a bit of exercise, but perhaps he's a bit young still?

Went for a walk along the sea front this morning, but I guess he didn't manage a mile before he decided he just wanted to sit down, this afternoon took the kids to the park and almost had to drag him the less than quarter of a mile round trip. Appears happy and playful in all other respects, just reluctant to walk far.

Is this normal?
 Puppy Advice - bathtub tom
I suspect he's bored of just walking. Try taking him to an area close by and throwing a ball or something and then get him used to going further for a play.
 Puppy Advice - Dutchie
He is only 4 months agree with bathtub.He needs to be a bit older for long walks.
 Puppy Advice - stan10
He is still a baby, at his age 20 mins maximum at a time, is plenty, twice a day, plus any toiletting and indoor play. Labs are one of the breeds that are prone to joint probs in later age, sometimes caused by over extending them in their early years, muscles and joints are nowhere near yet developed.

Wonderful dogs, they just want to please you, so if they think that you want them to charge around, they will, until they drop ! I have personal experience of this when as a new Lab owner, mine collapsed in a heap a few hot summers ago, - scary, and made me learn about the breed !

Even mature Labs are only "medium" exercise dogs, as "working" dogs they "sit" for ages until sent out to retreive a downed peasant or fartridge, they don't charge around like Spaniels or Collies.

Whatever you are feeding him, try hiding a few bits around the house and let him search them out, he will soon get the hang of it (food !) and you will exercise his brain and nose too, which will also tire him out
 Puppy Advice - mikeyb
Thanks for that, about 20 minutes appears to be his limit. Guess I wasn't really thinking about how young he still is (he's a big boy)

After I first posted he had about 15 minutes of running around the house with the kids like a mad thing, and then flaked out.

our garden / drive is enclosed so the back door has been open all day and he's been wondering in and out as he feels fit so he's probably done more than I realise. Quite sweet how he likes company and follows us all around :-)
 Puppy Advice - Zero

>> Is this normal?

Yes. At 16 weeks muscles, skeleton and cardio vascular not fully developed. A mile walk is too far, when young - short but often is required.

Puppy Advice - Dave
If he's in and out with you, and doing his business outside, then he doesn't need a 'walk'.

It might make you feel better, but he won't care at all.

He certainly shouldn't be allowed to do too much charging around at this age.
Latest Forum Posts