Non-motoring > Electric Shaver. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 52

Electric Shaver. - R.P.
Any recommendations for a smooth shave ? Mains/battery or rechargeable...?
 Electric Shaver. - Zero
I use a philips Aqua Touch, wet or dry its pretty good.
 Electric Shaver. - Skip
Any Philips 3 head shaver. Re-chargeable will probably best, battery will be expensive to "run" and mains less flexible where you can use it.
 Electric Shaver. - Stuartli
I have a Philips three-head shaver (unused to date), but had always used a Remington on the rare occasion I got an electric rather than dry shaver out. Excellent for a reasonable quick once over. These websites may help:

pickmyshaver.com/

electricshaversuk.co.uk/

Electric Shaver. - Armel Coussine
I've got two here. They both work but neither is much good. Just for a start a three-day beard is already too long to shave easily with the damn things.

In days gone by I noted that the Philips rotary system worked best. But frankly if you have an oily Mediterranean complexion and a few residual adolescent acne scars, the last thing you want is to grind your beard to a black powder and rub it systematically into your enlarged facial pores. Carving slices off your chin with an open razor is just as good.
 Electric Shaver. - Roger.
Philips Wet 'n Dry thingy.
Decent enough shave: best used wet .
Wet, you only need a cheap shaving gel for lubrication. Dry, use an unperfumed talcum powder.
 Electric Shaver. - bathtub tom
I asked this question some time ago and on the consensus here went out and bought a re-chargeable Philips rotary head job, not the expensive wet & dry, but a cheaper version that I noticed used the same replacement cutters and heads.

I'd previously used foil shavers and I reckon they're still better!
 Electric Shaver. - Focusless
I don't reckon my son's Philips 3 head rotary (which he doesn't use) does as good a job as my old Braun foil used to, but the Braun might have been more upmarket than the Philips. Both rechargeables.
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 18 Aug 14 at 20:41
 Electric Shaver. - Ted

I had a foil razor before I grew a beard...didn't rate it much. Tried a blowlamp like Desperate Dan but I got the odd blister.

When I got rid of the fungus I wet shaved for a while then thought I'd try electric again. Like Z and Skip, I bought a Philips Aqua Touch. It's very good and gives a smooth face. The shave doesn't last as long as the blade but I keep it on my computer desk and can do a little strimming while I'm on-line.

I guess it depends on whether you're a dependable, roustabout Rambo ( like me ) or a complete fluff-faced Wimbo ! :-)
 Electric Shaver. - Runfer D'Hills
Never got on with electric shavers. Much prefer a wet shave on the days I remember to do it. Electric ones are bad for polar bears anyway. Like petrol Range Rovers.
 Electric Shaver. - R.P.
I would never shave a Polar Bear ! Just getting my head around this caravanning stuff. I shun public displays of washing and the "bathroom" is a little cramped for full facial wet shave...just weighing up the choices.
Perhaps what we need is an angle grinder.

They advertise a special angle grinder for women on TV, to grind all the yellowed, thickened, calloused skin off their heels and toes and the balls of their feet from wearing those lethal shoes. They are supposed to give women 'softer feet'.

So you don't hear something like cloven hoofs clattering up behind you when you least expect it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 18 Aug 14 at 22:53
 Electric Shaver. - Zero
>> I would never shave a Polar Bear ! Just getting my head around this caravanning
>> stuff. I shun public displays of washing and the "bathroom" is a little cramped for
>> full facial wet shave...just weighing up the choices.

The choice is clear Designer stubble.
>>The choice is clear Designer stubble.

A la Compo?

Should we be looking out for that rotund, elderly, unshaven, video camera wielding person shuffling around on our station platforms?

;>)
Desperate Dan, when attacked by a sabre-toothed tiger trying to bite his face off, turned his beard this way and that for a trim with the words: Nice pussy.

On another occasion he used a huge circular saw. Terrific chap, Desperate Dan. His revolvers were very small and I can't remember him ever drawing them. Nice pussy.
 Electric Shaver. - Pat
Beards are sexy....just saying.

Pat
Here you go Pat:
conchitawurst.com/about/press/

:)
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 19 Aug 14 at 07:35
 Electric Shaver. - Pat
:)

I was thinking more along the lines of ZZ Top!

Pat
 Electric Shaver. - Roger.
>> The choice is clear Designer stubble.
>>

Designer stubble is just laziness and it looks as though the owner of those vile whiskers needs a good scrub/hose down.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Aug 14 at 12:54
 Electric Shaver. - legacylad
Runfer....re your polar bear vs electric shaver comment. Is that because they cannot hold them properly in their paws?
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 19 Aug 14 at 08:08
 Electric Shaver. - Ambo
My Braun sounds and feels very rough compared to my Panasonic. Furthermore, the sideburns thing has come off the Braun.
 Electric Shaver. - Alanovich
Another vote here for Panasonic. I've got a wet and dry one but only use it dry. Actually, I only use it a handful of times a year as I'm only ever clean shaven if there's a spell of hot weather. Short beard the rest of the time.
 Electric Shaver. - wokingham
I have a Braun, it isn't working well and maybe needs a new foil head. Also, stupid design on mine, the sideboard trimmer is curved and not flat. Over the years I have checked, most people think the 3 floating head Philips is best and without the gel system
 Electric Shaver. - sajid
i got myself a panasonic 5 blade foil cutter, its a lv95 i find i use the panasonic wet with the gel and gives a smooth shave, but i also use a wet razor to round of what the panasonic misses, the edges of the face, you can get the lv93 a cheaper version without the cleaner, read some reviews of it and decide.

>>Also, stupid design on mine, the sideboard trimmer is curved and not flat. >>

Braun rather than brains then?
 Electric Shaver. - Ambo
Except it's properly pronounced "Brown".
 Electric Shaver. - Cliff Pope
>> Except it's properly pronounced "Brown".
>>

Polar bears are really just brown bears that have evolved for living in a white environment.
 Electric Shaver. - Zero
>> >> Except it's properly pronounced "Brown".
>> >>
>>
>> Polar bears are really just brown bears that have evolved for living in a white
>> environment.

Dont tell Roger he is really a black person in disguise....
>>Except it's properly pronounced "Brown".>>

So puns and plays on words just pass you by then...? :-)

Ah well, Every Lidl Helps to brighten people's day.....
 Electric Shaver. - Pat
I have a mission on car4play Stuartli, to keep the pedants amused;)

Thank you for your help!

Pat
Actually the TV ad for Braun used to pronounce the name 'brawn'. Never failed to annoy me.
 Electric Shaver. - Bromptonaut
>> Actually the TV ad for Braun used to pronounce the name 'brawn'. Never failed to
>> annoy me.

Presumably from era when advertisers thought foreign words too difficult for the punters. The same mindset brought us 'Nessels' Milky Bar

>>
>> Presumably from era when advertisers thought foreign words too difficult for the punters.

My father liked to puzzle and annoy bartenders by asking for "Lerven-broy" beer.
After the usual fruitless exchange the penny would drop - Oh, you mean Lowen-brow?"
 Electric Shaver. - CGNorwich
Presumably from era when advertisers thought foreign words too difficult for the punters. The same mindset brought us 'Nessels' Milky Bar

Nestle* go back far beyond the Milky Bar and were originally famous for their condensed milk. The English never had much time for foreign pronunciations and Nessels was the accepted pronunciation for a century or so much as Marseilles was always pronounced Marsales and Ypres became Wipers in the First World War.

If you pronounce it Neslay should you really say Neslays Milky Bar combining an English possessive form with a French pronunciation? If it is correct should you pronounce the "s"?

*No idea how to type an acute
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 20 Aug 14 at 14:50
 Electric Shaver. - Zero

>> *No idea how to type an acute

Think you arè a mac usér no? thên just hold down thę appropriatë lėttēr and you will be given accents to choose from.
 Electric Shaver. - CGNorwich
just hold down th� appropriatë l�tt�r and you will be given accents to choose from.

That works fine on the ipad. On the mac desktop I've found it's it's Option plus e then e

Thanks anyway.
 Electric Shaver. - Ambo
Re accents, on a PC press Alt Gr then e or a to get é or á. For upper case, use Caps Lock and get É or Á. I don't know how to get any others.
>>I don't know how to get any others.>>

Microsoft Support's help on the Special Characters map:

tinyurl.com/ld2vlzx

>>
>> If you pronounce it Neslay should you really say Neslays Milky Bar combining an English
>> possessive form with a French pronunciation? If it is correct should you pronounce the "s"?

Barre au chocolat tres laiteau Nestle ?
 Electric Shaver. - WillDeBeest
...'Nessels' Milky Bar

The Nescafé factory in Hayes is on Nestles Avenue. The central office building is a rather fine Art Deco affair, so it seems right to pronounce it in the style of the 1930s. Since that was before the invention of the letter A, that will have to be 'Nessels Evenue'.
 Electric Shaver. - Duncan
>> >> Actually the TV ad for Braun used to pronounce the name 'brawn'. Never failed
>> to
>> >> annoy me.
>>
>> Presumably from era when advertisers thought foreign words too difficult for the punters. The same
>> mindset brought us 'Nessels' Milky Bar
>>

And why not?

You don't say Paree!
Some deals on at Argos at the moment eg. Braun 1-190 £70 -> £40, Remington F7800 £130 -> £50; FWIW both get good reviews.

tinyurl.com/kqtnbvm
>> Some deals on at Argos at the moment

Also a Philips Wet & Dry as recommended above, 'less than half price' at £65
www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/2484363.htm

EDIT: and you'll get a £5 voucher with it
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 22 Aug 14 at 12:28
 Electric Shaver. - R.P.
Thanks - just bagged one !
As you started this thread six days ago, you may as well carry on and finish growing the beard!
 Electric Shaver. - Zero
>> As you started this thread six days ago, you may as well carry on and
>> finish growing the beard!

with 6 days growth, the Philips is going to struggle!
 Electric Shaver. - R.P.
Been using my trusty wet shaver....this is for going in the "van"....the thought of shaving in a communal area is there with a lot of other things I won't do.
 Electric Shaver. - R.P.
Works fine dry, better wet.
 Electric Shaver. - Runfer D'Hills
'Twas ever thus.
 Electric Shaver. - WillDeBeest
I have a Braun Series 3 something (360? 380?) that is designed to be used wet as well as dry. I've occasionally done this and yes, it is more pleasant and effective that way. But - and here's the thing - using it wet (in the shower in my case) takes at least as long as a proper shave with a cartridge razor and still doesn't work so well. So why bother at all?

My answer is, I don't. The Braun goes in the travel kit for mornings when I'm in a hurry but still don't want to look like I forgot to shave. Other days, it's Titanium Quattro every time.
>>Other days, it's Titanium Quattro every time. >>

Just as good - and a damn sight cheaper - using Wilkinson Sword twin blade disposables from Poundland...:-) One lasts me at least a week and I've a tough beard.

Never really found the multi-bladed types any more efficient.
 Electric Shaver. - R.P.
Used it wet on a three day growth of beard - as WDB says takes as long as a conventional wet shave - quite a good result all in all. The unexpected side-effect was a rash - I first experienced this when I was new shaver 40 years ago - went wet after that never re-emerged as a problem. I'll use it of course but nonetheless slightly irritated that my skin hadn't changed !
 Electric Shaver. - Zero

>> slightly irritated that my skin hadn't changed !

Aww still as soft as a babies bum. Women would kill for that.
Latest Forum Posts