Non-motoring > Repair wanted to an external cornice. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 7

Repair wanted to an external cornice. - henry k
A piece of external cornice has fallen off the house in which my daughters flat is.

Fortunately it happened at night as it crashed and broke into bits onto the main door step to the flats.
It is a small corner section about six /nine inches long

It needs repairing but who does that sort of repair ?

From the photos I took it appears that it has been repaired badly/bodged in the past.
IMO another foot plus needs removing prior to matching the existing.
Just to complicate things the damage is on a corner so three 90 degree corners involved.
Ho hum! It is getting more expensive as I think about it.
 Repair wanted to an external cornice. - Zero
>> A piece of external cornice has fallen off the house in which my daughters flat
>> is.
>>
>> Fortunately it happened at night as it crashed and broke into bits onto the main
>> door step to the flats.
>> It is a small corner section about six /nine inches long
>>
>> It needs repairing but who does that sort of repair ?

Assuming she is a leaseholder, its not her responsibility?
 Repair wanted to an external cornice. - Dutchie
A builder will be able to do the job or is that the obvious.

What about building insurance your daughter should not have to pay.
>> Assuming she is a leaseholder, its not her responsibility?
>>
Basically I agree but we have found it is better to sort things out ourselves and keep them in the picture and just get agreement to to work being done.
They are not exactly dynamic, slow to respond and of course an admin charge.
 Repair wanted to an external cornice. - Armel Coussine
Where is it and what period hk?

Big chunks of stucco were always crumbling off the ornate Victorian houses in Notting Hill. There are brave jobbing builders with ropes or long ladders who can deal with that sort of thing. The risk is always of some more coming down taking the builder with it.

So terrifying to a vertigo sufferer like me that no charge would seem excessive.
It is not too bad for access as it is three or four feet above the front door not up at roof level.
It has the usual flight of stairs to the front door on such Victorian / Edwardian houses

From a Google search I have found a local company ( appropriately named ) that can obviously do a decent job.
It might be interesting to get a quote. Suck teeth quote ??
It would be sufficient to do a reasonable job as the whole property is due for its total external re decoration in a couple of years time so any old white finish will do.

To me it looks like it was bodged in the past as the moldings are a terrible, pathetic match and there was no attempt to properly secure the repair to the building.

englishcornice.co.uk/
 Repair wanted to an external cornice. - Zero
I smell the need for scaffolding

add £££££
 Repair wanted to an external cornice. - MD
>> I smell the need for scaffolding
>>
>>
>> add £££££
>>
Allow £15.00.per linear metre per lift (height) plus v.a.t. Obviously there will be a minimum charge, but £250.00 or thereabouts should do it.
Latest Forum Posts