Non-motoring > Took a bit of a tumble ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 13

Took a bit of a tumble ! - Ted

Had to go and collect the Vitara this morning. I could have got a lift off SWM but I had nothing urgent on so decided to use public transport. (Free!).

First leg was tram to Piccadilly rail station where I would get a train just one stop to Levenshulme, then catch a bus the mile or so to the garage... I arrived at Piccadilly and took the escalator up to the mezzanine floor. The next escalator led to the main station but when I was 5 or 6 steps from the top, I felt a sensation of my legs still moving upwards but my upper half being held back. I fell on my back, the steps still moving, and with the hand of a young lady, was deposited on the floor at the top. She helped me up and asked if I was ok and I thanked her profusely and said I was. I continued and picked the car up.

So far so good. Sat in the car, I noticed my phone was missing out of my pocket. I drove home and rang myself...no reply. Then the home phone rang...it was Virgin Trains saying they had the phone at their information desk...Great !

Had a coffee, jumped in the car and drove to the station. Up the first escalator then wondered about using the stairs rather than the one I'd fallen on. Decided on the escalator but to take greater care.

You've guessed it.......I got to roughly the same point and the same thing happened. This time I fell back onto an Indian gentleman and took him down with me ! Someone hit the stop button and we unscrambled ourselves with the help of others and a Network Rail worker. My victim said he was fine and declined to wait or give details. A man gave me my wallet and car keys which had fallen out of my pocket and the rail man helped me over to a seat and called a first aider on his radio. She arrived with a wheelchair and took all my details. I didn't need the chair. The two of them were very surprised when I said it was the second time in virtually the same place within a couple of hours.

I ventured my opinion that both times it felt as if the handrail had stopped moving. I was holding it both times and, of course, the first thing you would do in a situation where your legs are disappearing from under you is hold the rail tighter. I don't know if this scenario is possible, knowing diddly about escalators. I'm convinced the rail stopped moving....even if only for a couple of seconds. Twice, a coincidence ? I'm not sure !

Got one or two aches and pains but I'm not up for making a song and dance about it. Good job I'm fairly tough as well as being a doddery old sod !

Took a bit of a tumble ! - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear Ted ! Glad you're ok though.

Might want to put a bit more ice in the morning gins in future eh?

;-)
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - Duncan
Sorry to hear about your fall, but glad that you seem to be ok.

Do you lucky dogs get free travel on trains as well as buses?
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - wokingham
I have only used the Underground in London and I have noticed that there is sometimes a slight lack of synchronization between the handrail and moving stairs but not enough to cause a fall. I hope and the others are well!

Benefits and eligibility

If you receive payments under the War Pensions Scheme, or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Schemes, you may be eligible for concessionary travel.

With a Veterans Oyster photocard you can travel free on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, and most National Rail services in London.

You may be eligible for a Veterans Oyster photocard if you're:

Receiving ongoing payments - in your name - under the War Pensions Scheme: this includes widows, widowers and dependants
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - Manatee
Relieved you're OK Ted, but something needs checking out, either you or the escalator!

Wouldn't want it to happen again.
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - Fenlander
Yep watch out for it again and consider seeing doc. F snr has a condition that gives him disorientation related balance issues and this is just the sort of circumstance that would prompt his inability to balance.

You say you were 5 or 6 steps from the top so broadly speaking this is where your focus would have been changing from a general longer view and or looking at the moving stars to the static ground immediately in front of you which fits with the way some balance conditions get you.

Took a bit of a tumble ! - NortonES2
The moving stars are later tonight! But, hope all is well HO.

Hi all. Thanx for all the good wishes. Oldies can use train, tram or bus anywhere in TfGM area. From the tram station virtually at the end of our garden we can get as far as Littleborough, Appley Bridge. Glossop, The airport or Middlewood in Derbyshire........all free ! I sometimes get back from Stockport on the Virgin Pendolino....there's posh ! Almost worth moving up here, Duncan.

I don't think it was a balance problem, Fen. Thinking a bit longer about it, it was a definite ' tug ' backwards....no doubt my right hand still gripping the stopped rail. On my second trip I was concentrating on watching the moving steps carefully and I was a little further down when I went.

Interesting position to be, and quite difficult to get out of....on all fours facing downhill....thankfully stopped at that point. I was lucky to get a fairly soft landing on our Indian friend. I hope he's ok. No gin but a large whisky and lemonade wiv me tea helped. Just had a hot bath...no obvious damage !
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - Zero
I would have thought, that if it had been such a reproducible escalator problem, it would have been littered with fallen bodies. Therefore I have to deduce Watson, thats its a combination of you and the escalator.

Your deduction is certainly correct, my dear Zolmes.

If I hadn't been there.....I wouldn't have fallen !
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - Dutchie
Don't have any more tumbles Ted best wishes.

Won't do any harm to have a check up better be safe than sorry.
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - MD
Quick check up Teddy Eh?? 'tis not worth your pride standing in the way of an MOT for you. Just saying Sir, just saying...........
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - Armel Coussine
Aches and pains diminishing by now Ted? Takes longer at our sort of age I know. But a roll down an escalator with someone else to absorb the shock may be bearable.

I hope so anyway. What about the other cat? Still among us is he?

:o}
 Took a bit of a tumble ! - Stuartli
I've always found that when using an escalator I have to keep moving my hand a little higher up the handrail when going up and the reverse when going down. Perhaps it's because the handrail's additional circumference over those of the steps size plays a role and it doesn't keep pace.
Latest Forum Posts