Non-motoring > Did You Switch Your Lights Out? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 26

Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Fullchat
As you know Monday commemorated the 100th anniversary of the WW1.

As a mark of recognition we were asked to turn all the lights off in your home, except one, between 22.00 and 23.00.

Did you? We did and just had the odd candle lit round and about.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Alastairw
Yes. Left just one lamp on in the living room, and I think most of my neighbours did too. Pity the street lights stayed on though.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Crankcase
First I've heard of it, so no, afraid not.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Cliff Pope
The original remark was made at dusk on the 3rd August, and was occasioned by Grey observing that the lamps in the street outside were just being lit.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Zero
>> As you know Monday commemorated the 100th anniversary of the WW1.
>>
>> As a mark of recognition we were asked to turn all the lights off in
>> your home, except one, between 22.00 and 23.00.
>>
>> Did you? We did and just had the odd candle lit round and about.

No, because a: the war didn't start at 22:00 and b: the start of a war is nothing to commemorate.

Come back in 4 years and three months time, and I might join in a celebration of the end of the war.

I will be off to the menem gate on the 25th April 2015 for the last post, as that is a: where great granddaddy zero's name is carved and b: that is the day he died.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Duncan
No.

>>
>> No, because a: the war didn't start at 22:00

Exactly. It started (for Britain) the following day, following the rejection by Germany of Britain's ultimatum demanding withdrawal from Belgium.
The allusion was to the irony of lamps still being lit in Britain whereas they were already, metaphorically, going out in Europe.

Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - NortonES2
At 10:00pm SWMBO found a wet patch beneath the boiler. Cue investigation of the Fernox TF1 filter. No idea what went on in the neighbourhood as was inside the boiler cupboard draining and cleaning and retightening the cover, when not hunting for the instructions, all in a glare of lighting.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Armel Coussine
We didn't either. Forgot all about it, but probably wouldn't have anyway.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - TheManWithNoName
I'm in no way saying these things are a craze, but who decides on things events like this to commemorate world events?
Personally I did not take part because I knew nothing of it until friends started posting pictures on FaceTube of candles. I thought they'd all suffered the same power cut.
Personally I prefer to remember events in my own time in my own way and not be coerced by the media.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Ambo
No, but we watched a recording of the Westminster Abbey service on TV last night. Too long and too many short extracts read. It obviously put studio guest Shirley Williams to sleep as she woke with a start at the end. The progressive candle-dousing was very artificial and where was Dave?
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Pat
No, but yes, I was in bed so there was just one small light on!

Like Z, I find it bizarre to commemorate the start of a war.

Pat
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - neiltoo
I wouldn't have, but Mrs Neiltoo wanted to, so we sat watching TV with one candle.

So then I fell asleep and woke up at about 1.00am.....
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Fullchat
I used the word 'commemorate' but for us it was the united recognition of the ultimate sacrifice by so many.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - VxFan
>> where was Dave?

I was having a shower, IIRC.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - CGNorwich
I'm probably out on a limb on this one but isn't it time to let the First World War slip quietly away into history.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Zero
I was pondering similar. All those who served are now dead, I think we should have a major commemoration for 100 years of the end of war, and then draw a line under it.

It will happen, I don't see anyone laying wreaths for those who fell at Agincourt.

>>
>> It will happen, I don't see anyone laying wreaths for those who fell at Agincourt.
>>
>>

Don't be too sure:

www.battlefieldstrust.com/news.asp?NewsArticleID=89
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Armel Coussine
Quite, and the sodding Nazis while the going is good. Either people know all that Scheiss, or they don't even understand what it is. Waste of bandwidth, give or take the odd original perspective.

What's wrong with Malaya? Yemen? Korea? Vietnam? and all dat other palaver. All Scheiss writ in various sizes, same old same old for obsessives.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Focusless
>> Either people know all that Scheiss, or they don't even understand what it is.

www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/84-per-cent-think-ww1-was-fought-against-martians-2014080489220
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Dutchie
We had a picture of my Granddfather on our wall .He was in uniform I don't know if it was to do with the first world war.I never asked him and he never talked about it.He died when I was about twelve thirteen.Our wall meaning my parents house.

I forgot about the lights,Diana was in bed reading, one of these fancy kindle fire contraptions.

Still have respect for all who died but like some of us are saying we have to move on.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Duncan
>> >> where was Dave?
>>
>> I was having a shower, IIRC.
>>

What? For an hour? You must be a very dirty moderator!
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Slidingpillar
I didn't switch lights off. A very practical reason too, I don't want to fall over! I have zero balance from the ears and need both visual and tactile prompts to stay upright.

Normal folk have ear balance, visual and tactile. If you take one away, there are still two working and that is enough, just.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Dutchie
Zero balance that can't be easy for you to manage.My missus has very little balance I am her prop most of the time.Nerve damage in her legs.Does it affect your driving?
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Ambo
Also, does it give you vertigo? I am trying to work out where mine comes from. My hearing is bad and I have to use hearing aids.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - Manatee
Pal of mine has the ear balance problem. He is reluctant to walk at night as he struggles to stay upright. No sign of a problem in good light.
 Did You Switch Your Lights Out? - R.P.
I didn't either. Studied it for years, so not a refusinik for any ideological reasons, I agree with Zero - don't really do this cheesy stuff...methodist upbringing...
Latest Forum Posts