Non-motoring > Creepy - or correct? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 23

Creepy - or correct? - Roger.
Is this creepy - however justified it may seem on first thought?

Seems like real "Big Brother" stuff to me.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11003775/First-offender-fitted-with-stay-sober-ankle-tag.html
 Creepy - or correct? - Armel Coussine
>> Seems like real "Big Brother" stuff to me.

Yes, it is a bit, but then so many things are these days. Who knows, with a helpless alcoholic forbidden by law to touch a drop (and that too is big brotherish) this anklet thingy might be a help.

But BB isn't in my good books. Got a NIP in the post this morning alleging I was doing 36 late at night in a nearby small town/large village. As soon as I saw the flashes my heart sank, because someone from here was done by that camera a few years ago.

Damn thieves. Damn pickpockets. Smelly carphounds. They'll only spend my 40 quid or whatever on something stupid, vulgar and pointless. Up against the wall with the lot of them.
 Creepy - or correct? - Manatee
Sorry AC. £100 now. If you are are offered a 'speed awareness course' it's worth the extra - good entertainment.
 Creepy - or correct? - CGNorwich
- good entertainment.
>>

It would be if I could get on the same course as AC - I would pay good money for that:-)
>> - good entertainment.
>> >>
>>
>> It would be if I could get on the same course as AC - I
>> would pay good money for that:-)

Me too.
>> Sorry AC. £100 now.

£60 I'm told, and they don't double it if you're a bit slow like those London boroughs.

Obviously I will have to pay it, but I don't even know what it is until I plough through and fill in the moronic bureaucratic bumf, and get an answer.

I fully intend to enclose a comprehensive, reasonable, mildly phrased but somewhat acerbic statement of mitigating circumstances. Even Sussex police must have some rational drivers, although of course one would have preferred Northamptonshire in the good old days.

Except I was going a bit gently to pass muster there.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 1 Aug 14 at 23:33
 Creepy - or correct? - Westpig
>> I fully intend to enclose a comprehensive, reasonable, mildly phrased but somewhat acerbic statement of
>> mitigating circumstances. Even Sussex police must have some rational drivers, although of course one would
>> have preferred Northamptonshire in the good old days.

All dealt with by civvies AC... none of whom could give two wotsits what your reasons are.

>> All dealt with by civvies AC... none of whom could give two wotsits

How I wish all the civvies responsible, up to and including the Lord Lieutenant, would suffer condign punishment for this mean sleazy theft from motorists by the county.

When I saw the flashes I looked down and the speedo said 36-37. I assumed I was the right side of 35 and very probably was. But I just don't have the diabolical energy and persistence to argue about percentage error on speed cameras and speedometers until they sod off. The whole system is corrupt and disgusting.
>> >> Sorry AC. £100 now.
>>
>> £60 I'm told, and they don't double it if you're a bit slow like those
>> London boroughs.
>>
>> Obviously I will have to pay it, but I don't even know what it is
>> until I plough through and fill in the moronic bureaucratic bumf, and get an answer.

Got one in Oxford in May, 38 in a 30. That was £100. The one in January 2012 was £60. I'm on 6 points until January next year as things stand. No possibility of any fun for the moment in case I slip up again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SAC cost has gone up to keep it higher than the penalty.
Speeding fines went up last July- from £60 to £100
 Creepy - or correct? - Focusless
Saw a report on London news last night - they said it had worked well in the States in terms of reducing number of drink-related crimes, but didn't get the details (if there were any).
 Creepy - or correct? - helicopter
In Sussex it is £85 now for s speed awareness course AC.....

I speak from recent experience.... last March I was nipped at 56 in a 50 at the D

artford |Tunnel approach...

Take the course if offered and avoid the points ... I actually found it quite interesting and you are never too old to learn..
In Sussex it is £85 now for s speed awareness course AC.....

I speak from recent experience.... last March I was nipped at 56 in a 50 at the Dartford Tunnel approach...

Take the course if offered and avoid the points ... I actually found it quite interesting and you are never too old to learn..
 Creepy - or correct? - WillDeBeest
They do IT Literacy courses for oldies too, H.
};---)
Not really needed WdB...I can spell OK but could not control the computer freezing up here caused by problems with the phones....

Double post caused by me trying to edit the first post when the computer locked up and I eventually had to shut down by just holding the off switch....and then resubmitted the post correctly....

I could not then delete either post so I assumed that one of the mods would delete the original post......

As to retirement , I decided my time thereafter was better spent on a lounger in the sun on the patio , reading the Telegraph and sharing a bottle of chilled white Zinfandel with SWMBO ....
 Creepy - or correct? - Dutchie
No speeding points for 4 years I have been lucky I tend to put my foot down once in a while.

Chap got stopped ahead of me by a unmarked Skoda the other day.One of these 40mph roads dual carriageway along the docks where the majority of drivers do 50mph.

Tagging might work with some people,maybe just a gimmick.
I have filled in the bumf and addressed it to the Sussex Safer Roads Unit. I wonder if they will offer me a 100 quid fine or an 85 quid speed awareness course? If the latter I will take it of course, but it won't improve my speed awareness which is perfect by most standards. I bore the pants off herself binding on about the shunting mimsers in front. But they are legion if not quite a majority on the road, people who drive on 60mph roads at 40 or even 35, going up and down to 50 or more, brake lights going on downhill, then accelerate up the next one to a rousing 42, etc etc. Wasteful of fuel, bad for the car, cruel to other road users.

The drive by numbers syndrome. Instructors have actually encouraged them to drive like that. We are all doomed.
 Creepy - or correct? - legacylad
Are you sure about that AC? I have no idea but always imagined that driving instructors taught their pupils, once they had gained a suitable level of experience, to drive at the speed limit where conditions allowed. I shall ask my instructor pal tonight, and he covers almost 60k miles a year with pupils!
When doing my iAM course I was told in no uncertain terms to always 'make progress' when conditions allowed. As if I needed telling. Even exceed the limit on occasions which makes you concentrate more with regard to other road users, if there were any about, hazards and of course the BiB. I well remember the phrase 'look at everything, stare at nothing'. Eyes constantly moving from OS mirror to rear view to NS and back again. No nasty surprises then from ton up boys or fast traffic cars, marked or not.
It's about 10 years since my boy learned but he was told to drive at the limit if he could.
 Creepy - or correct? - sherlock47
>>to drive at the limit if he could<<

open to interpretation?
"If appropriate" would be a better choice of words.
 Creepy - or correct? - madf
Some of us (touch wood) have never been caught speeding. Despite more years driving than I care to recall...

It's an awareness thing :-)
Last edited by: madf on Tue 5 Aug 14 at 10:51
>> "If appropriate" would be a better choice of words.

That would have taken too long to type on a phone.

Of course that's what I meant and probably what he was told, but he seemed to have taken the meaning in my words - I was terrified and we were nearly on two wheels!
>> always imagined that driving instructors taught their pupils, once they had gained a suitable level of experience, to drive at the speed limit where conditions allowed.

No doubt they do legacy, and perhaps I was exaggerating when I said they encourage people to drive badly. Trouble is though, learner drivers are taught systematic clutch abuse and an insouciant attitude to getting in the way just to get them through the laughably-termed 'driving test', but the instructors fail to ram home the message that a full licence makes you a beginner and you then have to learn to drive properly like a grown-up.

Seems to me about a third of drivers continue to drive like gormless learners, without the L plates. And we all know that on a busy A road it just takes one or two of those prats to slow everything down to a dreary shunting mimse.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 7 Aug 14 at 14:57
Latest Forum Posts