Non-motoring > BBC Iplayer overseas Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 20

BBC Iplayer overseas - legacylad
Just wondered if you can access Iplayer in the US of A? Anybody know please?
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Armel Coussine
US not ghastly enough for you legacylad?
 BBC Iplayer overseas - VxFan
youtu.be/nNrORQqckqA
 BBC Iplayer overseas - sherlock47
An alternative is Witopia - proves to be very reliable for European use back to UK. Will support multple video streaming without throughput issues. Cost about the same a Identitycloaker as advertised in video above.

Be very wary of some of the free services around. The 2 or 3 I initially tried had throughput issues and would only support file downloading, not live streaming. Some also had habit of trying to install other software.

Also check on how many multiple connections are allowed using your username/password. useful if you have laptop/tablet/phones/children combinations.

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Fri 1 Aug 14 at 05:59
 BBC Iplayer overseas - WillDeBeest
IPlayer and iPlayer Radio are for UK IP (down, Roger) addresses only and won't work overseas without some ruse for disguising your address.

The best radio alternative I've found, especially for on-demand content, is Pure Connect. Trouble is, it seems to have stopped working. Not because of interference from the BBC, as befell the superbly useful Radio Downloader, but for reasons Pure itself seems still to be trying to understand. I hope they can fix it because I'm going to be away a lot in the next few weeks.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Zero
If you travel regularly and want home content, or you want to get non uk content when at home, its a good idea to get yourself a proxy account, where you can specify what country you are pretending to live in.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - CGNorwich
"IPlayer and iPlayer Radio are for UK IP (down, Roger) addresses only and won't work overseas without some ruse for disguising your address."

Only true for TV - I player Radio works anywhere. Used it in France last month and regularly use it in Canada

Thanks CG. Perhaps I never thought to try since iPlayer and iPlayer Radio diverged. Radio is all I usually have time for anyway while I'm away on business. Back in the US next week so I'll try it then.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Zero
Radio by its very widely broadcast nature has always been "region" free, and that has migrated onto broadcast over the net.
If you wish to watch live TV BC ITV 4 5, (or even other national broadcasters), FilmOn works well enough in Europe - altho the subscription variant with HD and ad free may be worth a look. It is also capable of doing a limited amount of recording in paid for version.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Mike Hannon
I may have mentioned this before but Iplayer Radio works for me here in SW France before about 3pm every day but not after.
Luckily, if I am desperate to hear something from R4 Extra I can work around this with the dear old tape recorder.
Mind you, now that R4 Extra has abandoned both Kenneth Horne and Hancock it matters less than it might have done...
Will see how I get on next week, then. So long as I can get Sandi Toksvig and Jack Dee I'll be happy enough.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Alastairw
If you just want to take some recorded programming with you for play abroad you can download stuff within iplayer to your device before leaving. I think there is a time limit after which programmes are deleted automatically.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - legacylad
The reason I asked was that yesterday I watched 'Natural World. beavers behaving badly'.
My US friends have spent time in Grand Teton NP & Jackson Hole and I thought they might be interested in watching it.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Slidingpillar
As a general rule, use a UK based proxy server. Not that difficult to test so you can always find one that works before recommending it.
Actually, Alastair, I have used the download option for stuff to watch on the plane. The iPhone screen is surprisingly watchable, despite its lack of inches. The main reason I'd like an iPad Mini is that it looks like the perfect compromise between watchability and portability.

You get 30 days from download or 7 from pressing play, whichever expires first.
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Alastairw
I find my Nexus 7 is just the right size for iPlayer actually. Quite handy when the kids want the big telly for PlayStation or what have you.
Just to confirm that, here in the eastern US at least, iPlayer Radio works just fine. Unless, as I did this morning, you want to listen to Test Match Special. R4LW and 5LSX channels had two different messages to say the same thing: 'for rights reasons this part of the broadcast is not available.'

Z's UK proxy idea would fix that, I'm sure. But no time to investigate it now.
For Test Match special you will find a link on the BBC Test Match Special Page page that is titled For international Listeners (except India/Pakistan). That will solve your problem.

I think that the link changes on a daily basis.

For some reason the BBC are hosting the overseas coverage care of ECB on Youtube. I can only surmise that this is because they wish to limit the the coverage to exclude India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh & Pakistan for commercial rights reasons and their normal servers do not allow selective access filtering .

Todays coverage was to be found at www.youtube.com/user/ecbcricket/featured

or try link found here ? top lhs www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fr0n5
 BBC Iplayer overseas - Bromptonaut
Couldn't get I-player radio to work in France on my Huddle. Problem though was with downloading the 'app' rather than with particular station. Using 'Tune In' which The Lad suggested I was able to get R4, though it always cut off at 08:00 French time requiring a restart to get it back

Five Live was unavailable due to rights issues.
Latest Forum Posts