Non-motoring > Commonwealth Games 2014 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 55

Commonwealth Games 2014 - Zero
A magnificent sporting spectacle packed out with the worlds greatest athletes
~ or ~
A meaningless overhyped event with a few "has been" athletes making cameo appearances?

Opening Ceremony, a superb meaningfull cultural event with global appeal
~ or ~
The biggest boring load of uninteresting drivel you have ever seen.

Glasgow, A major global cultural and sporting centre dripping with commonwealth connection
~ or ~
A not very important, culturally insignificant, provincial city.

The TV coverage is required viewing
~ or ~
An unwanted saturation intrusion onto my source of entertainment.

The commonwealth? Important or not required and should be disbanded.

Discuss
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 24 Jul 14 at 12:50
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Duncan
The second option, in each case.
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Stuartli
You are not forced to watch the Games nor take any interest in them.

But many, many millions of people do...:-)
>> You are not forced to watch the Games nor take any interest in them.

Very true, and long may that be so.

However, I still think that it is a third rate pile of junk.
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - CGNorwich
Do you dislike sport generally and are therefore not interested or are you a keen follower of track and field and disappointed that not all the world' s best are participating?

Personally I find all opening ceremonies cringe making and embarrassing - the London Olympics especially so but I will watch quite a bit. You can't always watch the absolute best in the world.

Only been to Glasgow a couple of times and it seemed a bit rough but I guess it has its good points.
I am interested in a number of sports, I have the Tour de France running on the telly as I type this.

I love Rugby Union. I like cricket, motor racing, cycling and golf.

I will also watch snooker, although I don't seriously believe that to be a sport.

I can't be doing with Soccer, or Rugby League.

Opening ceremonies are quite literally, a turn-off.
>> Do you dislike sport generally and are therefore not interested or are you a keen
>> follower of track and field and disappointed that not all the world' s best are
>> participating?
>>
>> Personally I find all opening ceremonies cringe making and embarrassing - the London Olympics especially
>> so but I will watch quite a bit. You can't always watch the absolute best
>> in the world.

I think I object mostly to the hype. The Olympic games tends to live up to it, the commonwealth games don't.
Actually I didn't think there has been much hype for the Glasgow games. Until a few weeks ago I didn't even know it was taking place. Rather overshadowed by the World Cup. It's not the Olympics and it's not really pretending to be. No doubt there will be some good competition though
>>
However, I still think that it is a third rate pile of junk. >>

So were Moscovitch cars but it didn't stop thousands of people buying them...:-) :-)
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Roger.
If the Commonwealth Games are as much of a millstone for the citizens of Glasgow as the Student Games were for the citizens of Sheffield, I think cynicism about them will soon set in in their host city.
Many years ago (1990) there was massive investment in Sheffield for the World Student Games and the huge debts incurred are still being paid off, by Sheffield City Council, i.e. taxpayers, long after the "benefits" have been forgotten.
The Don Valley Stadium - specially constructed for these games - has recently been demolished as "uneconomical" to run!
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Armel Coussine
It's hard to tell with some of you cats whether you are content to be British or deeply ashamed of it for reasons which are never really specified.

Why the spiteful kicking and carping? Commonwealth games, harmless enough biggish sporting event surely?

Some of you belong in an NHS dementia ward amid the smell of pee. That would give you something real to whine and carp about.
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Alastairw
The student games were always going to be a hard sell, but the CWG is a genuine international event that UK countries can be good at.

Manchester did quite well out of hosting the CWG. We got a world class velodrome where today's brilliant British cycling team can train and the stadium itself found use as hosts to a minor local football team.
>> The student games were always going to be a hard sell, but the CWG is
>> a genuine international event that UK countries can be good at.

Because its not a genuine international event.

>> Because its not a genuine international event.

How so?

International means between nations. The Commonwealth Games are obviously international games. There are many international competitions in athletics like the Pan American Games and the Asian Games which are limited to certain groups of nations. International games don't have to be open to all comers. In fact I think it's only the Olympics and the world championships that are open to all nations
>>
>> >> Because its not a genuine international event.
>>
>> How so?
>>
>> International means between nations. The Commonwealth Games are obviously international games. There are many international
>> competitions in athletics like the Pan American Games and the Asian Games which are limited
>> to certain groups of nations.

And they probably don't get the hype that the commonwealth games get.

Sorry my opinion is this is a second rate event hyped out of proportion, certainly not deserving of the expense to put it on, or the blanket TV coverage. In fact that could be said of the whole concept of "the commonwealth"

>> Sorry my opinion is this is a second rate event hyped out of proportion, certainly not deserving of the expense to put it on, or the blanket TV coverage. In fact that could be said of the whole concept of "the commonwealth"

And a very sorry opinion it is. What big sporting event isn't 'hyped out of proportion', too expensive and spread all over the TV? As for the commonwealth, you don't seem to have a clear idea of what it is. But if you imagine it to be without pull in the world, think again. A lot of countries, not all former British colonies or whatever.

Go watch the superbowlleague US rugger/rounders thing and listen agog to the State Department on Putin... Tchah!

"Sorry my opinion is this is a second rate event hyped out of proportion, certainly not deserving of the expense to put it on, or the blanket TV coverage. "

No need to be sorry. It's only your opinion which of course has no more validity than the views of the millions watching and enjoying the games.

Commonwealth Games 2014 - bathtub tom
Don't bother getting into an argument with Zeddo, (we love him here), he's only jealous he ain't got a new purple uniform to wear!
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - madf
The Commonwealth Games is the modern equivalent of the Romans' circus...
>> The Commonwealth Games is the modern equivalent of the Romans' circus...

As there are no Thracians in the commonwealth, and no christians being thrown to lions, it is absolutely nothing like the commonwealth games, if it were I for one would be glued to it.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Jul 14 at 08:11
No chance of a revival I'm afraid. Would contravene Health and Safety Regs.
And the RSPCA would probably complain about lions being fed a kosher diet.
And then there's all those Hi Viz jackets that would be needed.
>> And then there's all those Hi Viz jackets that would be needed.

No problem, one of these might fit the lion

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Animal-Xxl-Extra-Large-Dog-Hi-Viz-Flourescent-Safety-Vest-Cat-Ra-FROM-UK-/251573634926?_trksid=p2054897.l5659
Ah! That's one of the major stumbling blocks to a revival sorted then.

I'm a bit worried about the participants being exclusively Christian though. I think it would have to be multi- faith and then of course there's the atheists. Wonder what Richard Dawkins' view would be.

Any ideas on venue - Millwall's ground seems appropriate
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - henry k
I note from their website.

Actual product packaging or materials may contain more and different information than what is shown. Please always labels, warnings, and directions before using the product.

Electronic Items has a UK standard power.

I have every confidence that a lion version would fit and be fine :-)
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Runfer D'Hills
I had, as a child, and still occasionally have now, a recurring nightmare about being tied to a stake in a Roman arena and being savaged by lions.

Just thought I'd share that. Not sure why. Something I read, or was told at Sunday school I suppose.

I seem to recall, from somewhere in the deep dim distant past, school, or sunday school, not quite sure which, a drawing of a man tied to a stake with a slavering lion approaching. Maybe you were given the same book to read?
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Runfer D'Hills
Could be.
Did you ever read Belloc's tale of Jim (who ran way from his nurse)?

"He hadn't gone a yard when BANG
With open jaws a lion sprang
And hungrily began to eat
The boy, beginning at his feet
Now just imagine how it feels
When first your toes and then your heels
And then by varying degrees
Your shins and ankles, calves and knees
Are slowly eaten bit by bit
No wonder Jim detested it "
>> >> And then there's all those Hi Viz jackets that would be needed.
>>
>> No problem, one of these might fit the lion
>>
>> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Animal-Xxl-Extra-Large-Dog-Hi-Viz-Flourescent-Safety-Vest-Cat-Ra-FROM-UK-/251573634926?_trksid=p2054897.l5659
>>

Would you trust a vendor who misspells "fluorescent"? ;-)
Yes
>> >> The Commonwealth Games is the modern equivalent of the Romans' circus...
>>
>> As there are no Thracians in the commonwealth, and no christians being thrown to lions,
>> it is absolutely nothing like the commonwealth games, if it were I for one would
>> be glued to it.
>>

As a pedant I said "modern equivalent"..

That DOES NOT mean "identical"..

Pedant mode off.. :-)
>> >> >> The Commonwealth Games is the modern equivalent of the Romans' circus...
>> >>
>> >> As there are no Thracians in the commonwealth, and no christians being thrown to
>> lions,
>> >> it is absolutely nothing like the commonwealth games, if it were I for one
>> would
>> >> be glued to it.
>> >>
>>
>> As a pedant I said "modern equivalent"..
>>
>> That DOES NOT mean "identical"..
>>
>>
>> Pedant mode off.. :-)

Ok, Lets try this tack then. When did Italy join the commonwealth?
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Falkirk Bairn
7 years planning & building a £550m makeover for parts of Glasgow
2 weeks of glory in the sunshine
2 weeks of record takings in bars, restaurants & hotels

60 years for the citizens of Glasgow to pay the bill.
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - helicopter
It is fun to see the minority sports like lawn bowls where the Pakistani team competitors are restaurant owners from Glasgow...they must be making a fortune in free publicity.....

>> 60 years for the citizens of Glasgow to pay the bill.

Only 60 years? The French are still complaining about the cost of the palace of Versailles. Of course to everyone else it seems cheap at the price.
>>Only 60 years? The French are still complaining about the cost of the palace of Versailles. Of course to everyone else it seems cheap at the price. >>

....and aren't we still paying off our WW2 loans to America...??
>> >>Only 60 years? The French are still complaining about the cost of the palace of
>> Versailles. Of course to everyone else it seems cheap at the price. >>
>>
>> ....and aren't we still paying off our WW2 loans to America...??
>>

hmmm..

"Britain pays off final instalment of US loan - after 61 years
BY PHILIP THORNTON , ECONOMICS CORRESPONDENT Friday 29 December 2006

tinyurl.com/3axvgj
>>hmmm..>>

You must have missed the question marks...:-)
Now that the Commonwealth Games are being hyped up all over the telly I must say I can hardly be bothered to watch them. But then I am like that with all sport other than motor sport.

But in their continued defence, aren't they a sort of sub-Olympic run-up (like European, African, Latino and US equivalents) to the big games every four years, Brazil next time already behind with the building work?

Judging by the weird unheard-of 'games' they are featuring, they will fit right into the current Olympic spirit, innit? It's one reason why I am usually sour about sport.
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - zookeeper
the commonwealth games remind me of school
first of all the geography lesson in the morning when the teacher points at all the red bits on the world atlas in glorious detail
then in the afternoon its hop skip and jump, followed by the egg and spoon race
followed by tea and medals for the fit kids
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - BobbyG
As you know I am from the Glasgow area. I am anti-ish Royalty and very cynical when it comes to spending masses of money on events like this as I just do not see any way that you can get value for money spent. I am also not a great fan of any of the sports involved.

Last week I was in holiday in Bulgaria so followed bits of the games through Facebook, Twitter and BBC websites and I was astounded by the amount of people that I know who were totally enthralled by the games. Of course the good weather helped enormously but I was getting the distinct impression that Glasgow was one big happy place.

I am back to work this week and have to confess that the atmosphere in Glasgow just now is utterly fantastic - so many nationalities, everyone smiling and happy. As well as the actual sports there are probably hundreds of "events" going on whether it be fundays in parks, old bandstands being reused for free entertainment, etc etc the place is just jumping. Go down to the Merchant City or up the West End and the place is heaving, table and chairs outside on the pavements like you would get in Paris and that is just daytime - evenings are fantastic.

Undoubtedly once everyone goes away and reality kicks in about costs etc then the high may disappear but in the meantime the extra money that must be getting generated in Glasgow must be running into the several millions each day and many of these foreign visitors will come back for future visits as they have experienced such a pleasant time here. There are definite tangible benefits for the city - there has been a lot of regeneration in the East End, we now have a world class cycling arena, the emirates arena and the Hydro which will all be with us for a long time.

It is always quite humbling / embarrassing when you talk to visitors to Glasgow who tell you of all the attractions that they have visited, the landmarks etc and you have to admit under your breath that you haven't actually been to that one....

Incidentally, I feel that the BBC coverage has been wonderful and this has helped towards the buzz. When you see folks like Clare Balding / Gary Lineker etc talking so passionately about the city, what they have seen and liked. The coverage of the marathon was excellent with Brendan Foster & Co being very knowledgeable of the route the attractions on the route etc - now obviously some of that will be scripted and researched but it all came over very well.

So to summarise is it worth it - absolutely not but while it is going on, it is fair lifting the place ! And it has shut up the politicians on the indie debate!
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Manatee
Glad to hear that Bobby. My daughter and son-in-law are at the games this week and having a good time I should think.

Can't agree on the TV coverage though, not the late evening round ups anyway. Constant barrage of music that sounds like what the illegal radio stations in Luton play!
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - bathtub tom
>>I am back to work this week and have to confess that the atmosphere in Glasgow just now is utterly fantastic

It affected our Zeddo a couple of years back. He was even dressed in purple!
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Focusless
>> Incidentally, I feel that the BBC coverage has been wonderful

Haven't watched a massive amount, but have enjoyed some of the BBC3 coverage where they've been showing some of the less mainstream (in terms of TV coverage) sports. Hockey, squash, judo, clay shooting, have all been entertaining, although I guess that's due partly to the novelty value.
>> squash

Surely time to make it an Olympic sport? I don't think the athleticism has ever been in doubt, but with the glass courts it's now a lot more of a (TV) spectator sport. Watched the top English woman playing a South African (IIRC) last week, and although the latter lost, the way she was throwing herself around the court was incredible. Kept the man with the sweat mop busy :)
Did Usain Bolt actually say what he was alleged to say?
Good summary in DT: tinyurl.com/oauwa8o

Based on that, I suspect he might have said something along those lines 'while waiting in the rain' as an off-the-cuff comment to describe how he was feeling at that time, rather than as his considered opinion of the Games. Taken out of context in other words.
www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/usain-bolt-not-leaving-scotland-alive-confirm-officials-2014073089076 (bad language)

:)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 31 Jul 14 at 08:50
How is rifle shooting a "sport" and how are its practitioners described as "athletes"?
Commonwealth & Olympic games billiards, snooker & darts next?
Not long to go now.

Closing ceremony on Sunday and then it's all over.
............and then it's the blooming soccer season!
>> Good summary in DT: tinyurl.com/oauwa8o
>>
>> Based on that, I suspect he might have said something along those lines 'while waiting
>> in the rain' as an off-the-cuff comment to describe how he was feeling at that
>> time, rather than as his considered opinion of the Games. Taken out of context in
>> other words.

Despite the official and robust denial after the event, Bolts thoughts on the commonwealth games is well known.
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - BobbyG
And if it wasn't for the fact he was sponsored by Virgin, a games sponsor , then he wouldn't be here.
And he is due to take part in the relay heats tonight but I suspect that he will call off.

It must be an easy life being an athlete, at the end of the day all he does is run 100m so why can he not do this in every games event there are?

To use an old Glasgow saying, Bolt ya rocket!! GTF !
 Commonwealth Games 2014 - Ambo
I look forward to this becoming an Olympic/Commonwealth sport:

www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/man-rolls-brussels-sprout-to-the-top-of-mount-snowdonwith-his-nose-9644827.html
Latest Forum Posts