Non-motoring > New phone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 47

New phone? - Mapmaker
Well, I think my 4S is beginning to wear out. The internet gets slower and slower and whilst a full factory reset without restoring a backup improved things no end, it still isn’t what it was nearly two years ago. I’m not in a *rush* to replace it, but no doubt it will have to happen sooner rather than later.

What should it be?
 New phone? - Zero
No please, I couldnt go through that hassle again.
 New phone? - No FM2R
If you are otherwise happy with an iPhone, save the performance issue, I cannot think it would be advantageous to change, and probably a great deal of hassle.

So I'd recommend you go with the latest iPhone.

If, on the other hand, you are dissatisfied with some other functionality issue, or some desire for additional functionality, then whilst a change to another device may be worthwhile, which device would depend entirely on what that lack is.
 New phone? - Manatee
Galaxy S5? I planned to buy one, then got attracted by the £250 lower cost of a 64GB Nokia 1020 from O2.

The 1020 is OK, and as a keen snapper I don't regret it or the saving, but the S5 is a stunning phone. "Waterproof" too. I was trying one out side by side with the 1020 on Sunday, looking at lightningmaps.org, and the S5 thrashed the 1020 for speed and smoothness.

Of course I could have saved even more by continuing with the 4S, but I was finding the screen just too small.

The main drawback of the Windows phone is lack of apps, and the browser options are poor.
 New phone? - rtj70
>> Well, I think my 4S is beginning to wear out. The internet gets slower and slower

Is this when connected to the Internet on Wifi or when using 3G? Have you actually done a speed test? And is it just the Internet that seems slow or is the phone generally slow?

I'm personally not keen on the construction of Samsung phones. When I got the HTC One (M7) it was a much better phone than the Galaxy S4 in my opinion. But the SGS4 out-sold it by some margin.

As for the performance of the latest Android phones, it takes a fast quad core processor to keep on top of the inefficiencies of the Android Dalvik Java runtime. This will improve with the replacement of Dalvik - Java byte code will be compiled once instead of Just in Time.

Apple has the advantage of controlling the hardware, operating system and application development environment. The iPhone 5S will be a lot faster than the 4S for sure.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 23 Jul 14 at 16:38
 New phone? - Manatee
>> As for the performance of the latest Android phones, it takes a fast quad core
>> processor to keep on top of the inefficiencies of the Android Dalvik Java runtime. This
>> will improve with the replacement of Dalvik - Java byte code will be compiled once
>> instead of Just in Time.

I don't pretend to understand the relative software/OS efficiencies. But presumably it's that way because hardware is cheaper than software, pretty much as it always has been?

As long as you can get a fast enough processor, databus, and enough memory...?
 New phone? - Zero
I still have my iPhone 4, not even an S, and its now up to IOS 7.1.2. It may not be quite as snappy as it was when new, but its certainly not become noticeably slower, and certainly not slow enough to consider changing.

My 4 won't be able to run IOS 8 when it comes out in a few months, but even then that is no driver to change it.
 New phone? - VxFan
>> I still have my iPhone 4, not even an S, and its now up to IOS 7.1.2. It may not be quite as snappy as it was when new, but its certainly not become noticeably slower, and certainly not slow enough to consider changing.

+1

New phone? - MD
>> >> I still have my iPhone 4, not even an S, and its now up
>> to IOS 7.1.2. It may not be quite as snappy as it was when new,
>> but its certainly not become noticeably slower, and certainly not slow enough to consider changing.
>>
>>
>> +2
>>
>>
>>
 New phone? - No FM2R
>>I'm personally not keen on the construction of Samsung phones

I've had an HTC One, S3 & S4.

I liked the HTC very much, mostly because I much preferred the UI. However, the Samsungs have proven to be more robust. I lead a pretty active life and so things I carry around tend to get used in challenging conditions. The two Samsungs have suffered no particular faults, whereas the HTC had a problem with the charging socket, the screen, the volume button and the headphone socket.

Mind you, the HTC had a nicer, more substantial feel to it.

I accept that 3 phones is hardly an extensive base for conclusions, but nonetheless...
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 23 Jul 14 at 17:54
 New phone? - Stuartli
I started with an HTC Wildfire S, then an HTC One X and then acquired the new HTC One M8 earlier this month. It's a cracking phone and has a stunning metal body, whilst the sound quality is remarkable for both listening to music or calls thanks to amazing speakers.

But there are a couple of competitively priced newcomers on the market that are attracting quite a lot of interest, the brands being OnePlus One:

tinyurl.com/kmkonky

and Prestigio, with this model being advertised on QVC for £129 plus p and p, but is available cheaper at CPC:

tinyurl.com/ooqcscc

Review at:

tinyurl.com/lnbztbp

You can also still buy the Wildfire S for £118 at CPC, but it's only an earlier version of Android that can be used, or the One X at a staggering £375 for a two year old model (I paid £420 for the M8 on eBay).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 23 Jul 14 at 19:13
 New phone? - Mapmaker
Thanks for thoughts.

>>I cannot think it would be advantageous to change from an iPhone, and probably a great deal of hassle.

Doubt it would be any hassle. Just a set of phone numbers to copy across. New system to learn, granted.

>>is it really slower?

Sitting side-by-side with another 4S, noticeably slower, on 3G or on wifi. Surfing the 'net is no longer fun; about 10-15 seconds to download a page. As I said, much better since doing a factory reset and not reloading the backup (which it said was corrupt) - apart from whatever had been backed up on iCloud.

I'm kind of anticipating waiting for the new iPhone 6, provided it's not appreciably bigger than the 4S. I don't want to carry a tablet in my pocket...

So all I was really asking was 'Should I be thinking about anything else?'
 New phone? - Stuartli
>>Sitting side-by-side with another 4S, noticeably slower, on 3G or on wifi. Surfing the 'net is no longer fun; about 10-15 seconds to download a page>>

I find that surprising. All my HTC phones have been/are very quick to download web pages even when using wi-fi hot spots such as provided by (Sky's) The Cloud or O2 at various locations.
 New phone? - No FM2R
>> New system to learn, granted.

That's the hassle I meant. I find using my wife's iPhone very irritating because I am used to an Android. As she does the other way around.
 New phone? - Manatee
Actually not too bad migrating from iPhone to Windows.
 New phone? - rtj70
iPhone 6 likely to be available as a 4.7" and 5.5" display variant. Rumours the latter may be delayed a bit.

I still find it odd your phone is running slow. Something must be hogging the CPU or something. I'd install some sort of stem activity monitor to see what is slowing it down. The fact it's the same on WiFi and 3G means it's not the data connection.
 New phone? - movilogo
Motorola Moto G

Very good spec for the price.
 New phone? - Roger.
Off topic a bit - but if I buy myself an 8" or 10" tablet - for the convenience of not lugging around a hot-running 17" laptop, how does one transfer, say an .avi or MP4 video file from the laptop, running W7, to a tablet, either Android or Apple?
Can it be done easily? (Or at all?)

New phone? - Duncan
What about the OnePlus One?

oneplus.net/uk
 New phone? - Stuartli
I mentioned this new brand on Wednesday...:-)
 New phone? - Duncan
>> I mentioned this new brand on Wednesday...:-)
>>
>>

So you did.

Sorry!
 New phone? - Stuartli
>>how does one transfer, say an .avi or MP4 video file from the laptop>>

Connect the PC/laptop to the tablet using the USB to miniUSB cable and the tablet will be recognised as a removable USB storage device, which enables you to copy media between them.

Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 28 Jul 14 at 14:51
 New phone? - Roger.
Thank you. :-)
 New phone? - Zero
>> Thank you. :-)

Not alway so easy with all Andoid phones/tablets, you may need a helper piece of software and certainly not so with an iPhone, you'll need to faf around with iTunes and an import app
 New phone? - Crankcase
>> and certainly not so with an iPhone, you'll need to faf around with iTunes
>> and an import app

There are other ways too on iDevices (clouds, ftp, multitudes of other techyrama diversions and cat-skinnery) - but all are faff, and some are bigger faffs than others. As Z says, there is no faff-free method.
 New phone? - Stuartli
Never caused me any problems. Sometimes use the Cloud services (although this is mainly used for backup) or HTC Sync Manager...:-)

Got dozens of photo files on my Nexus !0 tablet........
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 28 Jul 14 at 16:35
 New phone? - CGNorwich
I've just ordered one from amazon - the 4g versions.

This is solely on your recommendation so it better be good. :-)
 New phone? - Pezzer
I bought one for No 1 son (18) - he is very pleased with it.
 New phone? - CGNorwich
Having just received my unlocked new phone I now need a new micro sim as my old phone has the standard size.

I assume I can keep the old number - I intend to keep with Virgin PAYG for the time being at least. Can I just get one of the new cards in the store and can they swap the number for me?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 31 Jul 14 at 14:14
 New phone? - Crankcase
You can (probably) do it yourself if you're feeling adventurous.

www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-cut-your-own-micro-sim-card/

New phone? - smokie
Yeah I've had Virgin do the same for me. Mind you, I have three phones with them and they initially cut off the wrong one, which was a pain because they had to send a new card for that too, they couldn't simply re-activate it.
 New phone? - CGNorwich
Been using the Moto G for a few days now and now and can thoroughly recommend it. For £139 unlocked I doubt that it can be bettered. Only downside to it I would say is that its camera could only be described as adequate. Don't do serious photography with a phone so I'm more than happy.

Since I'm a light use for calls texts and data (I use WIFI in the main), PAYG suits me fine. Have changed form Virgin to Three since they don't time limit the data and there is no minimum daily usage. I know Three get a bad press but no problems so far.

Question

I am now left with old my old 2G phone which now needs a new SIM as I have ported the number to my new phone. I intend to keep it in the car as an emergency phone. Three's SIMs are all 3G only so I need a SIM which will work in a 2G phone. Do the other networks have these?
 New phone? - movilogo
>> For £139 unlocked

I managed to get it for £129 :-)

Compared to my old budget Android phone, it is lightning fast [even after loading good number of apps]. The phone doesn't come with too much bloatware either.

Only thing I hated that it had no hardware button for "home" screen. Every time you want to access screen from standby, you need press the side power button.

But the beauty of Android is that you can customize anything. I downloaded Gravity Screen and/or Wave 2 Unlock which allows to simply wave in front of proximity sensor and you can avoid touching power key altogether.

I am moderate heavy user. I am getting one full day in single charge.

I bought Lumia 620 first as I wanted to get away from Android. But that one broke down in 3 days! So back to Android again.

PS: Saw ad in CPH that you can have it for just £99 [unlocked] if you "upgrade" a PAYG SIM. SIM must be older than 6 months with positive credit and not used for upgrade previously.

Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 5 Aug 14 at 14:50
 New phone? - Zero

>> Question
>>
>> I am now left with old my old 2G phone which now needs a new
>> SIM as I have ported the number to my new phone. I intend to keep
>> it in the car as an emergency phone. Three's SIMs are all 3G only so
>> I need a SIM which will work in a 2G phone. Do the other networks
>> have these

Answer

All networks now only provide 3G sims, but they will work perfectly fine in a 2g phone.

Or were you talking about a micro sim?
 New phone? - CGNorwich
Standard Sim. Threes's will only works in a 3G phone. Told this in store and confirmed on their website.
 New phone? - Zero
Try it

A PAYG sim is free so no harm in getting one. O2 3g sims work in 2g phones. So does Torange/e & VP. used a 3g sim from all of them in a nokia 5110
 New phone? - CGNorwich
I'll get an O2 one and try that. Out of curiosity why do the stores charge a £1 for a sim when you can get them direct for nothing?

New phone? - Focusless
To make money :)
 New phone? - Mapmaker
>>I'd install some sort of stem activity monitor to see what is slowing it down.

Go on. I installed SysStatsLite which seemed to be somebody's favourite. But the information it gives me might as well be in Chinese...
 New phone? - Zero
I recently installed a system monitor on my iPhone, and all it did was slow it down
 New phone? - DP
I've got a Galaxy S5 and it is so full of bugs, I couldn't honestly recommend it. Could be a great phone if it didn't hang, lose text messages, disconnect from Wi-Fi randomly etc etc....
 New phone? - Manatee
Feeling better and better about my Windows phone, which seems to cause great hilarity amongst the Android and Apple groupies :)
 New phone? - Crankcase
There's always this option. If I were in the market for something dead simple I'd consider it.

www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/10995383/Should-the-26-Indian-smartphone-worry-Apple.html

New phone? - DP
>> Feeling better and better about my Windows phone, which seems to cause great hilarity amongst
>> the Android and Apple groupies :)

SWMBO has a Nokia Lumia 1020 and it's a fantastic piece of kit. More stable than both the latest versions of iPhone and Android platforms in my experience. Also has 3-4 bars of signal in the places the S5 is displaying its all too familiar "No signal found for mobile networks".

If I were buying a new phone for personal use, I would be going Windows Phone. Really nice OS.
 New phone? - Mapmaker
Well, the system monitor shows that with Facebook running there is no free memory. Without Facebook running there is a good chunk of it.

I think that's the answer. It's accessing internet pages linked to out of Facebook that is dreadfully slow - indeed, almost impossible.

New phone? - Mapmaker
It also has a particularly nasty habit of not allowing the telephone to be answered. Hard to know, but again I'd guess that's a result of too much running in the background.
 New phone? - Focusless
>> Well, I think my 4S is beginning to wear out. The internet gets slower and
>> slower and whilst a full factory reset without restoring a backup improved things no end,
>> it still isn’t what it was nearly two years ago.

Well at least we know why: tinyurl.com/ndqtnea (DM)

:)
 New phone? - Stuartli
Deleted as beaten to link...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 29 Jul 14 at 19:17
Latest Forum Posts