Non-motoring > Weeds in block paving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 26

Weeds in block paving - bathtub tom
I've got a wire brush on a stick: tinyurl.com/nhf5c7r , but that's hard work.

I was thinking of getting a gas weed wand: tinyurl.com/pm6sb3b and then I noticed my electric hot air gun.

Anyone used one for weeds? I've trialled it on a patch, but I need to put it on a stick. I'll report back on the results.
 Weeds in block paving - CGNorwich
Waste of time. They will soon grow back. Most weeds that root in paving will have a long taproot that will soon regenerate after the top growth has been scorched.

Weedkiller (Pathclear or similar) is the only effective moderately long term solution. Will probably need a couple of applications per year.
 Weeds in block paving - Stuartli
....or using a standard dilution of Jeyes Fluid in a watering can using the rose to direct it between the flagstones.
 Weeds in block paving - madf
Pathclear. We have brick paths. Works a treat . March and July.
tinyurl.com/kustumb
No longer licensed as a weedkiller but of course it does kill weeds. Not as persistent as Pathclear though
 Weeds in block paving - Zero
There are a lot of adverse comments about pathclear, mostly because you don't see instant results and it takes a little longer (over a week in some cases) for the weeds to start to die back.
 Weeds in block paving - madf
>> There are a lot of adverse comments about pathclear, mostly because you don't see instant
>> results and it takes a little longer (over a week in some cases) for the
>> weeds to start to die back.
>>

written by people who want instant gratification.

>> to direct it between the flagstones.

The northern version of block paving.
 Weeds in block paving - Runfer D'Hills
I wanted to say 'Ralgex' but it somehow doesn't sound right. I think that may be something you rub on yourself if something hurts?

Anyway, I have a container of something which sounds a bit like Ralgex which you pump up with a nifty piston thing on top of it and then it forces weed killer through a little tube to a trigger gun thing.

Quite satisfying zapping weeds with it. Works too. It's definitely not Ralgex though.
>> I wanted to say 'Ralgex' but it somehow doesn't sound right.

Resolva.
 Weeds in block paving - henry k
All last week there was the drone of a pressure washer then another, then another. All blasting the sand and soil from block paving and washing it down the road.
At least the sweeping of new sand into the gaps was quiet.

Next will be the sound of petrol powered leaf blowers that every so called gardening company has. How did the world exist before ?

I must get out to he country more often.
 Weeds in block paving - Armel Coussine
I like weeds and moss.

What's block paving? Sort of bricks? I hate that.
Actually I'm with you on that. One of the worst features of modern cities and towns is the paving over of front gardens. OK I know people need somewhere to park but a parking area can often be created without concreting, paving or dumping gravel over the entire area.

At one time people used to take a real pride in the front garden. Now in the most part they are eyesores.
 Weeds in block paving - Fenlander
>>>One of the worst features of modern cities and towns is the paving over of front gardens.

Our old Fen house had hard surfaced parking and garaging for 8-10 cars behind the house so I was amazed to see the first thing the new folks did when we sold it was to gravel over the front lawn for parking. It's a disease.
"It's a disease."

It's rampant around here. I'm looking for a new house at the moment. One of the houses I have looked at has a very large front garden but it has been completely paved over. It would take at least ten cars. The paving is actually good - bricks laid in a fan pattern so it must have cost a fortune.

I did remark to the owner that if I were to buy the house one of the costs I would incur would be ripping up most of the the paving and re-instating the garden and the front wall he had demolished. He seemed shocked.
 Weeds in block paving - Roger.
It would take at least ten cars. The paving is actually
>> good - bricks laid in a fan pattern so it must have cost a fortune.

Now THAT'S a motor trader's house!
 Weeds in block paving - Cliff Pope

Here's one in gravel I made a few weeks ago:

i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/Cliffordpope/IMG_4586.jpg

Roundup seems to work well. It's quite satisfying going round with the sprayer and zapping anything that dares to pop up.

Weeds in block paving - Runfer D'Hills
Roundup, that's it !

Knew it wasn't Ralgex.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vLk1MyAcFE
 Weeds in block paving - legacylad
How about using Roundup solution between the block paving? Time consuming directing it between the blocks, but it will penetrate down to the roots over a period of a week or two.
I have a small garden area at the front of my place. A nice lawn, trimmed edges and a border which, to my uncultured eye, looks nice. Some neighbours just let their ground cover and shrubs go wild, taking on the appearance of a mini jungle. Presumably they can't be assed to mow or do the edges, which takes me less than 30 minutes once a fortnight.
Both Roundup and Pathclear have glyphosate as an active ingredient so thy will both kill the weeds. Pathclear also has another chemical which inhibits re-growth so is a better bet on paths which you want kept permanently clear of vegetation. Doesn't last forever though so you will probably need a couple of applications a year.
 Weeds in block paving - sooty123
A nice lawn,
>> trimmed edges and a border which, to my uncultured eye, looks nice. Some neighbours just
>> let their ground cover and shrubs go wild, taking on the appearance of a mini
>> jungle. Presumably they can't be assed to mow or do the edges, which takes me
>> less than 30 minutes once a fortnight.
>>

I leave mine not that bad but do leave it to 'overgrow' we've got quite alot of wild flowers and the such like. I think it looks better a bit 'untidy', more natural to my eye rather than the borders and trimmed lawn. That's not my thing.
 Weeds in block paving - bathtub tom
>>One of the worst features of modern cities and towns is the paving over of front gardens.

In my defence I'll say that when I bought the property it had a concrete drive that was cracked and uneven. It sits on grey clay. I thought the brick paving would be a more practical and aesthetic solution, allowing some water to pass through, thus limiting the contraction and expansion of the clay that presumably caused the concrete to break up.

I've ended up with a couple of sunken tracks like the worst sections of motorways!
 Weeds in block paving - henry k
>> >>One of the worst features of modern cities and towns is the paving over of front gardens.
>>
I suspect some of these "Makeover your home in 24 hours" and other programs showing how to transform your house into a dream home have encouraged a sterile appearance to front aspects of houses.
All the mansions in my area have vast pave drives.
Of course the other option is to shingle over the whole front garden because burglars do not like walking on it. ( it is usually all over the road nearby too.)
>>
>>
> I've ended up with a couple of sunken tracks like the worst sections of motorways!
>>
I thought that was a "feature". It is certainly a trademark of the bodgit and go teams in some areas.

Me. I had my ancient concrete drive totally replaced with varying sizes of manufactured slabs on a steel mesh reinforced concrete base that includes a soakaway.
Weeds ignore it.
However you cannot win them all.
I need to replace a couple of slabs ( I kept spares) in one corner as natures hydraulics if the form of tree roots have burst up, lifted the slabs and split them.
Must go I have to cut the hedge.
 Weeds in block paving - sooty123
I guess alot of people have no interest in gardening and like having the convience of a driveway right on the road. In the above posts it does seem a bit OTT if there is 10 garages and then want more parking space.
People round here have done, but it's by all accounts it's difficult the village council aren't keen at all, not too sure about the rules but they don't like it. Although in fairness, quite a few have no driveway or garage and the road is very narrow, so you end having to park a walk away.
 Weeds in block paving - Roger.
Our next door neighbour has ALL of his front "garden" paved AND he has ALL of his back "garden" paved!
Not a green shoot in sight!
He is single and works way quite a lot.
 Weeds in block paving - Falkirk Bairn
Spent some 6 man & woman hours in the garden this week - nothing exciting, path weeding, grass cutting, throwing out some plants........the usual.

Neariish neighbour, 2 x adults, 4 x young adults, 1 x child -4 bed detached courtesy DSS, does not spend that amount of time in a year. Overgrown funnily enough with 2 ft weeds amongst the block paving! Off to the beach this week, taking advantage of the weather etc etc. Admittedly 1 x adult now has part-time employ - the Benefits cap means some work needed to happenin order that the rent/Council tax etc etc is still paid - in some 15+ years there have been periods of work that ran to months with years of inactivity between.
Latest Forum Posts