Non-motoring > Welcome back... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: swiss tony Replies: 66

Welcome back... - swiss tony
... Zero.

Nice holiday?

I must say, I for one missed you.
 Welcome back... - Lygonos
No doubt he is now furtively uploading many hours or railway video to youchoob - don't expect a reply for a few days.
 Welcome back... - BobbyG
Maybe you should book a room for the two of you?
I hear he likes a pint in Wetherspoons first
 Welcome back... - Zero
I arrived back by accident.
 Welcome back... - Cliff Pope
>> I arrived back by accident.
>>

The Man who fell to Earth
 Welcome back... - Armel Coussine
Yes, more than welcome. But there's been a lot of attrition. Where's Ted? And where is the charming, much missed Ratto?

Pat may know, but she seems to be lying low too.

Of course people are fully entitled to get bored or irritated or lose interest. But I wish they wouldn't.
 Welcome back... - Alastairw
I imagine Ted has tugged his shed to a large field beyond the reach of t'internet. He'll be back.
 Welcome back... - Zero
I would suspect teds shed has tugged him to a hospital bed!
 Welcome back... - Duncan
>> Yes, more than welcome. But there's been a lot of attrition. Where's Ted? And where
>> is the charming, much missed Ratto?

Rattle asked members to stop posting in a thread that was about him a few weeks ago.

Most people stopped, but not all. One in particular was calling him names and I expect he thought 'why should I put with this?'.

Since then he has absented himself and I don't blame him.
>> Most people stopped, but not all.

I hope I wasn't one of them. I teased Rattle but liked him a lot.

>> One in particular was calling him names

No sane person would do that, so the name-calling was barmy by definition. You can't be too thin-skinned in a place like this. Ratto was nothing if not internet-literate. It's a mystery to me.

Welcome back... - legacylad
Wot. Like Toyah?
 Welcome back... - Duncan
>> >> Most people stopped, but not all.
>>
>> I hope I wasn't one of them. I teased Rattle but liked him a lot.
>>
>>
>> >> One in particular was calling him names
>>
>> No sane person would do that, so the name-calling was barmy by definition. You can't
>> be too thin-skinned in a place like this. Ratto was nothing if not internet-literate. It's
>> a mystery to me.

You only need to go a couple of posts down on this thread to find name calling:-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=17077&v=f
 Welcome back... - Dutchie
I read that thread made me laugh.A.C had a right go at N.C.What happened with Rattle was he drunk and got into mischief?

Welcome back... - Pat
I'm not lying low AC, just very, very busy with work until next month when it will quieten down a bit, I hope!
Working from home during the week means I have to resist looking on here during the day otherwise I get nothing done at all.

Rattle I is still around on Facebook and I will try and get a message to him and persuade him to pop back in here. I miss him too.

I haven't heard from Ted at all or Old Navy and I'm a bit concerned about both of them really.

I know all wasn't completely well with one of them.

I'm pleased to see Z back *said through gritted teeth*!

>>>and where has Stu got to? I miss him too.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 05:55
 Welcome back... - RattleandSmoke
The posts on here summed up the reason I left, around April was a bad time and this place really wasn't helping. There have been times when I have wanted to come on here but I have been very busy as well with work and my usual summer travels. After receiving a nice message from Pat on Facebook I thought I better show my face again.

Ted is doing very well he is back to his old self now, I saw him last week we did mention this but I can't really go into why Ted isn't posting here, but it is probably the same reason a lot of us have stopped posting.

I have been coming on here since 2007 (under HJ) but I think earlier this year the atmosphere on the forum changed and there was just too much conflict.

I am worried about Old Navy though, he seems to have disappeared which is unusual.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 13:15
>> can't really go into why Ted isn't posting here, but it is probably the same reason a lot of us have stopped posting.

>> earlier this year the atmosphere on the forum changed and there was just too much conflict.

There's bound to be disagreement, and occasional 'conflict'. Surely others, not just me, can ignore ill-considered rude posts and just let them pass, or simply refute them if they are unreasonable?

Please don't stay away Sheikha, unless you really don't have time or have lost interest.

I'm worried about ON too, wicked old matelot that he is.
 Welcome back... - rtj70
Apart from the mods, anyone know contact details for Old Navy.

Glad Rattle is okay - I understand why he and others haven't posted much or at all. Or even visited. I often go to reply and think better of it. Then occasionally I might start a new thread.
 Welcome back... - Westpig
I think it's a shame if people decide to give this place a miss, just because of a couple of forceful, unpleasant loud-mouths... although I understand why people bow out.

Welcome back... - Zero
>> I think it's a shame if people decide to give this place a miss, just
>> because of a couple of forceful, unpleasant loud-mouths... although I understand why people bow out.
>>
>>
Mind you don't trip over that slipping halo - you are not adverse to forceful loudmouth moments.
>> Mind you don't trip over that slipping halo - you are not adverse to forceful
>> loudmouth moments.
>>

Never claimed to have a halo .. and usually comments are within the polite zone.

Et vous?
 Welcome back... - Zero
>> >> Mind you don't trip over that slipping halo - you are not adverse to
>> forceful
>> >> loudmouth moments.
>> >>
>>
>> Never claimed to have a halo .. and usually comments are within the polite zone.
>>
>> Et vous?

as usual as you are.
 Welcome back... - Cliff Pope
>> >> you are not adverse to forceful
>> loudmouth moments.
>>

Averse
 Welcome back... - Manatee
>> There's bound to be disagreement, and occasional 'conflict'. Surely others, not just me, can ignore
>> ill-considered rude posts and just let them pass, or simply refute them if they are
>> unreasonable?

Well, yes - but often the sort of person who is aggressive in the first place always wants to have the last word - it can be hard to swallow an insult or an attempt at intimidation without protest, but equally one knows that a response will just attract more of the same.

>> Please don't stay away Sheikha, unless you really don't have time or have lost interest.

Seconded of course.

>> I'm worried about ON too, wicked old matelot that he is.

Yes.

Neither ON nor Ted seem the type to be 'hurt' by idiotic fight-picking - but then I wouldn't expect either to keep coming back for more, or in Ted's case happily to frequent a place where a friend has been ill-treated.

Up with much more of it I will not put, either, whether or not it is directed at me.

Best wishes to all, absent friends especially.
 Welcome back... - rtj70
If I was at home, and providing he's not changed it, I possibly have ON's email address from ages ago. But I'm not at home until Thursday. I bet someone else knows it apart from the mods.

Glad Ted is well - thanks for the update Rattle.
 Welcome back... - CGNorwich
Yes do come back Rattle. Always enjoyed your posts as you have an interesting and original take on life. Please let us share your epic travel sagas again.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 19:42
 Welcome back... - Old Navy
I am still alive although both Mrs ON and myself have had a rough year health wise.

I don't feel that it is worth responding to the aggressive attention seekers that have become a feature of the forum.
 Welcome back... - Manatee
Happy to hear you're still clogging, ON; I hope things improve for you both on the health front.
 Welcome back... - Duncan
Well, I for one am delighted that both Rattle and Old Navy are alive and kicking.

I hope that you will post again on a regular basis. The person who was, in my opinion, one of the worst offenders in the rudeness stakes seems to have withdrawn himself - and a good job too!
 Welcome back... - Kevin
>Happy to hear you're still clogging, ON;

I must increase my f o n t s i z e. I thought you said dogging Manatee!

A virtual dram to you ON and one for Mrs ON too.

Good health!
Last edited by: Kevin on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 21:54
 Welcome back... - Dave_
>>
>> A virtual dram to you ON and one for Mrs ON too.
>>
>> Good health!

+1.

>>

>> A virtual dram to you ON and one for Mrs ON too.
>>
>> Good health!
>>

Many thanks, the booze locker has been given a good test.
>> Happy to hear you're still clogging, ON; I hope things improve for you both on the health front.

Likewise.
 Welcome back... - Pat
Well what a lovely surprise for this very early Monday morning:)

Rattle and ON back again and posting...must be an omen for a good week!

I'm so pleased to see you both, now we need to entice Dutchie and Stu back again.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 03:42
 Welcome back... - nice but dim
Snaily flounced nearly a year ago too.
 Welcome back... - VxFan
>> Snaily flounced nearly a year ago too.

He won't have got very far ;)
 Welcome back... - NortonES2
About 263 miles, making some optimistic assumptions. Rate of 0.03 mph assumed:)
>> Snaily flounced nearly a year ago too.

Was there a reason?
 Welcome back... - VxFan
>> Was there a reason?

I seem to recall he disappeared a couple of times before, both here and while at HJ. Then pops back in at some point.
I'm here Pat I tend to wonder off Gemini character.>:) Hope you are ok on your travels at a steady 60mph.Where is Dog? Still living in his posh mansion on the moors.

You know how I write Pat hard to understand myself.
>> I'm here Pat I tend to wonder off Gemini character.

Gemini indeed! How would people like it if I excused myself for my many sins by admitting to being a Virgo?

You have a distinctive voice Dutchie, don't doubt it. Stick around, keep going.
 Welcome back... - Pat
I'm pleased you're back Dutchie, I love the way the pedants leave your writing alone. I have a vision in my mind of them sitting there, on their hands to stop themselves typing with gnashing teeth when reading you posts!

It teaches them self control and good manners:)

Now we need to round up L'es, Dog and Stu but I don't have any contact details for them.

Have I forgotten any others?

I'm an Aries by the way......April Fools Day and I've heard it all before;)

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 5 Aug 14 at 05:13
 Welcome back... - Duncan
Over the years that this forum has been running, I have formed the impression that a significant percentage of posters are, er, over retirement age, shall we say?

I think we should make due allowance for the fact that a number will have fallen off the perch. Are their NOK going to post on here to say that we won't be hearing from X any more? I don't think so!
 Welcome back... - Pat
Stu is going to love you Duncan, if he reads that:)

Pat
 Welcome back... - sherlock47
>>>Over the years that this forum has been running, I have formed the impression that a
>>>significant percentage of posters are, er, over retirement age, shall we say?

>> Stu is going to love you Duncan, if he reads that:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Most of the others that have not yet reached a chronological retirement age however, exhibit some (or all) the traits of indecision, prevarication, pedantry, senility, OCD, EOA .................................... that characterise 'the significant percentage'.

I could go on, but seem to have lost the thread:)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 5 Aug 14 at 09:00
 Welcome back... - Pat
>>>>> Stu is going to love you Duncan, if he reads that:)<<

I have it on very good authority that Stu is mortally offended Duncan.

Pat
 Welcome back... - Duncan
>> >>>>> Stu is going to love you Duncan, if he reads that:)<<
>>
>> I have it on very good authority that Stu is mortally offended Duncan.
>>
>> Pat
>>

I realise (I think) that this is all intended to be tongue in cheek.

Is Stu, Stuartli, or someone else? I will bet a shilling that I am older than Stu!
 Welcome back... - Pat
Stu is the one of many (old) cars fame! But he does keep them clean;)

Pat
 Welcome back... - madf
>> Over the years that this forum has been running, I have formed the impression that
>> a significant percentage of posters are, er, over retirement age, shall we say?

I'll have you know that although I am an OAP I have the body and metabolism of a 45 year old.

Unfortunately I have the mentality of a two year old..:-(
We never grow up madf boys will be boys.I have picked up after my big op.Took more than two years I got a bit depressed with it.I had some excellent help from the hospital to look at live in a different way.I do some parttime gardening and help the son in law with his beekeeping which we both enjoy.

I must admit with some of the characters on this forum I feel out of my depth but if you met me in person you wouldn't think so.
>> I'm pleased you're back Dutchie, I love the way the pedants leave your writing alone.
>> I have a vision in my mind of them sitting there, on their hands to
>> stop themselves typing with gnashing teeth when reading you posts!
>>
>> It teaches them self control and good manners:)
>>

We obviously do not have any pedants who have a better grasp of Dutch than Dutchies brilliant version of English. :-)
 Welcome back... - CGNorwich
Shouldn't "Dutchies" have an apostrophe?

:-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
My grasp of English is only marginally better than my non existent Dutch. :-)

Our Granddaughter is two years and six months.I try to teach her Dutch,her dad is Polish and my daughter borne in the U.K.

I can't believe how quickly a child picks up a language.We have some fun but I have to be carefull with my Dutch swearwords not a good example to her.>:)
>> I can't believe how quickly a child picks up a language.We have some fun but I have to be carefull with my Dutch swearwords not a good example to her.>:)

That happens in English too Dutchie I assure you. I have had many a scolding to prove it.

Small clever children are immensely charming. If you patronise them they clam up, quite rightly.
 Welcome back... - BobbyG
Just back from holiday in Bulgaria - one of the locals who owned a restaurant, kid was 5 years old, father Bulgarian, mother Italian and had lived in England for a while.
Kid was totally fluent in the three languages.
5 years old.
I love her to bits A.C.She is a beautifull child blond curly hear and big blue eyes.That is luck of nature.She is bright a lot sharper than her granddad..:)
Stu is a car valeter isn't he.Good job if you can get the right work.A few customers with the posh cars would suit me.Take your time and do a good job.
 Welcome back... - FocalPoint
I also had a nice message from Pat recently.

Like Rattle, I got disenchanted with things here a while back, even before things came to a head - the aggressive, egotistical stuff and nastiness from some quarters. The Islamic school thread was the last straw.

I felt I wanted to challenge all that, but it was becoming too time-consuming and there seemed at the time few who felt the way I did.

This thread has gone a little way to restoring my faith in the forum.

However, I shan't be posting again for some time, I feel.

I have been, and still am, incredibly busy, with some life-changing matters and other personal stuff. Maybe I'll be back at some point.

Adieu, mes braves!
Au revoir on espère FP... but I don't understand why anyone is put off the whole forum by people who don't know how to put things, er, tactfully. A lot of people are like that and we have to deal with them every day. Anyway that's the way it feels.
 Welcome back... - Pat
The reason for that AC, is that once it becomes personal there is a tendency for normal posters to be pursued in any thread they post in.

I've been in that position and my train of thought goes like this...

Here we go again.
Why do I bother?
Life's too short.
I can't be bothered, I'm off.

Then, before I know it...

Stand up straight, shake yourself down and go get 'em Pat!!

Pat
 Welcome back... - Focusless
>> A lot of people are like that and we have to deal with them every day.

Exactly - sometimes it's nice to go somewhere where you don't have to.
>> >> A lot of people are like that and we have to deal with them
>> every day.

If you do something for leisure, something enjoyable.. you do it to relax, have a bit of 'me' time and maybe escape the bills, the chores, the noisy kids or whatever it is in your life...

...if the leisure pursuit becomes weary, then you re-consider.

For my part, I enjoy banter, a good honest spat and think if you give it out, you should take it back.. none of that is an issue.... but out and out unpleasantness, well that's another ball game.

Even if you are a hardy soul and willing to give it all guns back, it's hardly an enjoyable leisure pursuit, is it?
 Welcome back... - BobbyG
This thread reminds me of the manager who keeps changing practices in the workplace for all staff to deal with the bad behavior of one or two.

If someone posts something on here which is enough to make you think that you won't come back then why not grow a set and say so?

It may well be only one or two posters that is ruining it and if that's the case then why not highlight it and deal with it?
 Welcome back... - Fenlander
>>>If someone posts something on here which is enough to make you think that you won't come back then why not grow a set and say so? It may well be only one or two posters that is ruining it and if that's the case then why not highlight it and deal with it?

It's not like real life and the ordinary poster has no way of "dealing with it". Those that are inclined to be over assertive (or stirring trouble by posting twisted version of the truth) to the point of spoiling it for the rest just keep coming back more and more... because it's what they enjoy.

Meanwhile this heightened combative feeling to the forum skews its character away from anything the majority are interested in.

A forum needs a purpose and constant guiding hand to maintain order, sadly this has neither. No disrespect to anyone involved because they must all see it anyway.

I keep posting the odd motoring thing here as a kind of placeholder for "something" to happen in the way of future direction... because there is still the basis and framework for a good motoring based forum.

I stand up to those that would cause trouble by refusing to be drawn into argument... and that's the way most of the folks on thriving and useful forums I use behave.

Mark is quite at the moment.I like some of his post I know he is sharp something to get used to.

There is a old Dutch saying.Ruwe Bolster Blanke Pit.
 Welcome back... - Alanovich
>> Ruwe Bolster Blanke Pit.

Row a pillow up your empty armpit?
That is funny.>:)
Latest Forum Posts