Non-motoring > What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 49

What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Iffy
Watching England beat the Germans, I hope.

I'll be in the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire following the game via a mixture of the telly and Radio 5Live.

Let's hope I get the chance to start at least one more of these threads.

What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Zero
I shall be returning along the meandering country roads from Ludlow, where tonight I shall be watching Othello.

I think the english lads should be forced to watch this,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9fa3HFR02E&feature=related

and to learn the words of this

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhDtx7PPqNc
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Jun 10 at 09:33
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Manatee
I thought the French were out?
It worked then.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Pat
We will be going out to enjoy the deserted beaches!

Pat
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Robin O'Reliant
I shall be in front of the TV doing my best impressions of Alf Garnett and Basil Fawlty.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - L'escargot
I'm "on a promise" for 3 pm on Sunday.
;-)
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - swiss tony
>> I'm "on a promise" for 3 pm on Sunday.
>> ;-)
>>

Wow!
will you be coming out of your shell?
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - teabelly
Making the most of the deserted roads!
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Dr_Rubber
Watching the F1 on time delay :-)
Joe
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Bagpuss
Got the Engalnd flags up at last. Two on the fences at the back, one on each car and one on each pushbike. Breaks up the monotony of black, red, yellow. The Italian flags have mysteriously disappeared.

Had various customers phone me up yesterday, some who I haven't seen for over a year, to ask who I'm going to support, even though they know the answer. Should be good for business then whatever the result. I'm going to watch the game at the public viewing area at the Olympiapark.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Dog
Dog is a gonna be walking his dog due to the fact that the ole woman was out with him last Saturday (6 stone Ridgeback) and he tried to take out a gentle English Setter for no reason,
SWMBO had a hard time trying to hold him back and the other swmbo ran and hid in someone's garden and closed the gate.
So (quite rightly) SWMBO won't take him out AT ALL.
But its soooo nice in Cornwall and all over the UK with the weather, that I'm quite enjoying getting out in the countryside down the little traffic free lanes and far from the madding crowd.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Ian (Cape Town)
One of my colleagues has tickets.
So he comes into work at 12 today, and works through til 4, with the intention of heading off and driving to Bloemfontein (~800kms away)
Nope.
Gets out of office - his car has been towed away!
Begs me for a lift to traffic impound, so off we go. Drop him off R860 later, he's on his way, swearing and cursing much better.
He hopes to do 450-odd kms tonight, then head off to Bloem early tmrw morning.

What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Fursty Ferret
Working tomorrow afternoon. Hope we win, but any satisfaction will be tempered by my opinion that our football team represent the worst possible ambassadors for our country. Looking at you, Gerrard.
...that our football team represent the worst possible ambassadors for our country...

Can't disagree, but at least they are living their ridiculously bloated and luxurious lifestyles on their own money, rather than at public expense.
currently sitting in the sun in the outer bailey of ludlow castle, quaffing a bottle of prosseco. Othello starts in one hour

What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Ted

I shall be taking the engine out of the Jowett tomorrow in anticipation of fitting a new gearbox in the week.
Adjusting the tickovers yesterday, it suddenly got itself in gear and lurched forward, stalling.
Did it a few more times so don't trust it now.
Should have the mill out by 2pm then scrub up and enjoy the match.
SWMBO will be at youngest daughter's in Stockport gushing over the new baby, who arrived in perfect condition this morning.

Ted
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Bellboy
you cant beat pulling a donkey out for fun especially when the wife is elsewheres so you have the run of the house and go for a pee without removing youre boots
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Roger.
Swimming in our friend's salt water pool, having had a convivial "typically English" lunch of Curry.
The rest of the party will be watching 22 men kicking a ball from one to another.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Bigtee
In the pub at 2.45 with a beer sitting down to watch England get slautered, can't stand football but like beer.!!
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - henry k
As it was 27.7 degrees at Wisley today and 30 promised tomorrow I will take our tortoise for a paddle to help the old fella cool off.

Stare at the yellow patch that is supposed to be a lawn, abandon all thoughts of gardening and either open a real ale or a bottle of dry white.
Having abandoned all other planned chores but SWMBO, unlike today, will not be distracted by Wimbledon, (so I might still get GBH of the ear ) else I might just get to switch on the box.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Runfer D'Hills
Building a hutch in the garden for my son's Guinea Pig. It's in the kitchen in a cage at present and it stinks in this weather. I've tried Lynx antiperspirant as a temporary measure but it won't hold its arms up long enough to get a good squirt on.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sat 26 Jun 10 at 23:25
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - devonite
Somehow methinks the most patriotic thing they will do will be to fly home with British Airways!
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - henry k
>> Somehow methinks the most patriotic thing they will do will be to fly home with British Airways!
>>
Make them walk instead?

BA did not want them so watch out for the publicity on the red tops - Virgin flew our "heros" home from the war.

I know which heros I support and they do not get paid big ££££s.

...I know which heros I support and they do not get paid big ££££s...

It is, of course, possible to support both.

I actively support the Help for Heroes charity, although I'm a little bit uneasy paying my tiny bit towards care for people who should be being looked after by the government.

Hopefully, a part-Tory government will be better in this regard than the previous shower.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Harleyman
I shall be visiting a local vintage tractor show, regrettably not in the pick-up as I've taken it off the road for a month or two.... wife still off work sick so more important things to spend money on.

I shall also be enjoying the latest episode of our so-far successful crusade to completely stuff the Aussies at cricket!
Sniff, no more 'What will you be doing...?' threads.

We got what we deserved, but I don't reckon the other teams are exactly world class.

So we've missed the chance of winning the World Cup with an average team.

What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Focusless
Whoops - sorry ifi, just realised I've been posting in the wrong thread. Must have been the stress.
...I've been posting in the wrong thread...

It was getting a bit confusing - I'm just pleased the threads have created a bit of forum interest.

England have made sure there will be no further opportunities for us to get mixed up.
Well after the first goal went in, i could see the writing on the berlin wall, so started up the recording of the GP, merely to switch back to the footie for further news of the debacle.

The squad father, Don Capello will have to go. Loosing to the filthy hun is one thing, getting a drubbing is not acceptable.

Bobby will be on crowing in a minute. Funny how the jocks can crow in the face of their own failure.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 18:20
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Focusless
>> Loosing to the filthy hun is one thing, getting a drubbing is not acceptable.

Worst ever (English) defeat in a finals apparently.
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 18:56
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Falkirk Bairn
>>>Bobby will be on crowing in a minute. Funny how the jocks can crow in the face of their own failure.

Scotland has long accepted that our team is poor

MAYBE
It is time for ENGLAND to accept thye need to do more than think they have an team of international standards
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - SteelSpark
>> Scotland has long accepted that our team is poor
>>
>> MAYBE
>> It is time for ENGLAND to accept thye need to do more than think they
>> have an team of international standards

To be fair, England are ranked 8th in the world, just one place behind Argentina and two behind Germany.

Scotland are ranked 43rd, just one place behind Gabon.

Not really comparable, is it? To go out against the 6th ranked team in the world is not really that bad, albeit that the result itself was poor. England just need a more suitable manager, but even then to win against Germany is never a sure thing.

>> To be fair, England are ranked 8th in the world, just one place behind Argentina
>> and two behind Germany.
>>
>> Scotland are ranked 43rd, just one place behind Gabon.

4 poor results in a row against teams in the high 20/30's rankings - this resulted in them coming 2nd in a poor group.

The defeat by Germany,s orry the rout of England, only underlines how poor they are.

England had already proved themselves poor against USA/Algeria and looked a bit better against Slovenia.

No 8 in the world rankings only proves how fallible the rankings are.

>>
>> No 8 in the world rankings only proves how fallible the rankings are.

No they are fairly accurate, Scotland are just about 35 places worse than England.
>> No 8 in the world rankings only proves how fallible the rankings are.

No, it proves that you can't base it on a handful of games, rather you have to do it over a longer period of time.

Let's be sensible, the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd can drop several points against teams in the middle and the bottom of the table, but still win the title. You could always pick a slice of the season to make them look terrible, same with international football.

Scotland fans have to accept that Scotland are awful, and always have been, that it why they are 43rd. They haven't just been bad for a while, they are bad permanently. Just because they admit that ( they would look stupid if they didn't), doesn't mean that the 8th ranked team has to say that they are rubbish just because they lose to the 6th ranked team.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Stuartli
I hate to think what a team like Argentina would do to England......
>> I hate to think what a team like Argentina would do to England......

Probably what Spain did to Switzerland or what Italy did to Slovakia and New Zealand...I suppose they are rubbish sides now, too

Italy finished bottom of their group, 2 points from 3 games against Slovakia, New Zealand and Paraguay.

Still one of the best teams in the world, but second bottom on FB's short term ranking system :)
The Herald - Glasgow paper

"A second goal would have made it a game but rather than blaming the linesman England might direct their displeasure at Sepp Blatter, the FIFA president, sat in the stand and the man who has relentlessly dismissed the use of video technology.

It would have taken 10 seconds to determine that the ball had crossed the line but, in truth, it would not have changed the fact that England were miles behind Germany. And way short of being world class."

The last 7 words sums up the England team performance.

No 8 in the world? time for a recount!

we did a recount based on performance, still 30 above scotland.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Runfer D'Hills
I gather the team are to fly back into Glasgow in order to be assured of a hero's welcome......

:-))
I dont see why not, its the nearest the sweaties will get to a winning team.
>> The last 7 words sums up the England team performance.

So an impartial scoring system based upon actual facts (i.e. results) is quickly discarded in favour of an opinion piece by the Glasgow Herald?

At least I am sure that the Glasgow Herald is impartial when it comes to English football :)

The fact is that England are a top 10 team, but that isn't going to get you very far in the World Cup. Even if all the teams in the top 10 were equally as good (which they aren't) you would, on average, only expect to win the World Cup once every 40 years. You would only expect to get into the semis, on average, every 10 years. And you would only expect to get into the quarters 80% of the time.

But let's not get silly and try to suggest that there is any comparison between England and Scotland. Gabon and Scotland, maybe.

Scotland are 43rd because, again and again, they fail to qualify or, if they do, fail to make progress. England are 8th because they almost always qualify and regularly get to the quarter or semi final stages of international tournaments.

What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - BobbyG
Bobby will be on crowing in a minute. Funny how the jocks can crow in the face of their own failure

Sorry zero, hope I didn't disappoint you too much, but was actually having a very civilised discussion with my English aunt about English football!

As has been said before, we know we are rubbish, anything else is a bonus.

Its like watching your neighbour with his Chrysler 300C, you know they are rubbish, you know they are just tarted up cars with poor workings, but he thinks it is looks like the Bentley and believes it will perform like one..
>> Its like watching your neighbour with his Chrysler 300C, you know they are rubbish, you
>> know they are just tarted up cars with poor workings, but he thinks it is
>> looks like the Bentley and believes it will perform like one..

problem is, its still better than your rusting Metro..........
The value of money & football

England
State of the art facilities £26m;
Transport £1m;

Watching England humiliated? Priceless.
Its rather like watching the dewey child like eyes of the jock fans when a qualification round starts, all hopeful and excited. It breaks my heart to see such unfounded optimism snuffed out, every time.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - BobbyG
problem is, its still better than your rusting Metro..........

but you don't get it - we know that!! But we also know they are not as good as they think they are and it is great fun to sit back and watch them get egg on their faces. Time and time again!!!!
such lack of ambition
 What will you be doing at 15.00 on Sunday? - Ted

Absolutely Z. Sitting brooding over their little cheap black and white tellys in their tenements when they could be out in the glens shooting the wild haggis...or whatever they do when they've finish counting their cash !
:-)

Ted
Latest Forum Posts