Non-motoring > Memory jog please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 7

Memory jog please - Crankcase
Not sure if anyone is going to be able to help with this, but worth a shot.

It's the late 1960s. My Dad took me to London on a few occasions. The six or seven year old's memory I have is of an area of London where there were what seemed to be endless little cinemas. We would always go into either Laurel and Hardy or Tom and Jerry, and they would be showing a few of them in a loop. You paid at any time, wandered in until it all came round again, then wandered out when you'd had enough. Then there would be a penny arcade or two.

I had a half memory this was Soho, but in retrospect it couldn't have been, could it? Wasn't that a bit dodgy in the sixties?

Anywhere else in Central London that might have been it? I don't know the place at all as an adult and never go.

Just a passing thought of my Dad, as he died exactly 41 years ago so the memory just popped into my head is all, no matter if nobody has any idea what I'm on about.
 Memory jog please - Bromptonaut
ping AC??
 Memory jog please - manuel_fawlty
cinematreasures.org/theaters/13073
 Memory jog please - sherlock47
cinematreasures.org/theaters/13073
Not sure that this was the sort of theatre the OP was referring to :)

I quote from one of the posts, dated July 2009, " I remember Stuart Hall very well, and I actually got on very well with him. We were both from the North of England, which I think helped. Wonder what he is up to now".
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 1 Jul 14 at 08:09
 Memory jog please - Crankcase
It's a good suggestion and I can see the connection, but having had a google for some photos, it's not ringing bells. I don't think that can have been it.

Ah well, thanks anyway.
 Memory jog please - Slidingpillar
I too dimly recall cinemas set to show a looped programme, but failed to drag it out of google.
 Memory jog please - Cliff Pope
I thought it was pretty standard at all cinemas. If you went in too early you saw the ending of the film you had gone to watch.
 Memory jog please - CGNorwich
That's where the expression " I think this is where we came in" comes from. We used to meet my Dad after work sometimes at the cinema and it seemed quite normal to me to see the second half of a film first.
Latest Forum Posts