Non-motoring > Recording off the radio? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Recording off the radio? - BobbyG
No I don't want to set up a tape to record the charts on a Sunday afternoon but the same principle.

I have recently discovered a couple of programs on Smooth Radio at the weekend - Sat night is the British songbook and Sun night is American songbook.

How can I record these to play back on my ipod? Is It possible to do so now?

And as a follow up question, are podcasts governed by some rules on playing music? I remember listening to a series of Desert Island Discs podcasts but all the songs were only maybe a minute long at the most?
 Recording off the radio? - rtj70
If this is recording of an actual radio, then a phono cable from the radio to a PC should sort you out. Then you'd have to 'cut up' the audio stream to get the tracks, name them, etc. Something like Audacity will help.

If the radio station is available on the phone say via an app or it's just FM, then the above task is then a case of recording what is playing on the phone via audio-in on the PC/Mac. Audio out on the phone should be fairly good - not CD quality of course. Other sources can be played/recorded too of course.

On the Mac for capturing audio, I use an app called Audi Hijack. It can grab audio from apps or just line in. But it also splits it up automatically. So if a few tracks are played back to back then you get separate MP3 files. Still need to check them and name them.
 Recording off the radio? - sherlock47
Use Audacity to record directly from whatever you have playing on line on your computer, that way you do not need a radio or cables. Export files in your preferred format eg MP3 if you wish to make a cd or a usb mem stick for for use in the car

You can then either cut it up manually or use something like Slice Audio File Splitter from NCH Software
www.nch.com.au/splitter/
to get the tracks in individual files.

Then you can use something like Media Monkey to find the track infor inc cover pictures. Some tracks may be dificult to find using the auto facility ( although since it is broadcasrt material it will probably be 'mainstream' versions of tracks).
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 22 Jun 14 at 22:47
 Recording off the radio? - BobbyG
I am not too bothered about only getting the songs, quite happy just to have the full 3 hour program.
However what sort of file size would that be?
 Recording off the radio? - No FM2R
A CD, which is I guess about 30 minutes, can be anywhere between something like 60mb and 600mb depending on the quality you choose.

So 3 hours can be manageable or very large depending on the quality you choose.

I would agree with the others that the approach is to record the whole show directly rather than rely on podcasts.

There are a variety of free products that will record anything that your PC plays.

e.g. download.cnet.com/Free-Sound-Recorder/3000-2170_4-10698910.html
 Recording off the radio? - rtj70
>> However what sort of file size would that be?

If stored as an MP3, I doubt it will be more than say 300-350MB depending on bit rate etc.
 Recording off the radio? - Mike Hannon
I still record from the radio using cassettes - adequate for my ageing ears.
I try to faff about with BBC iPlayer sometimes but it doesn't always work abroad and seems to depend on the time of day as well: I can often record successfully in the morning in France but not later on in the day. I've got 'audacity' - both technical and real-life - but can never figure it all out.
A very old and dear friend died last month and his son tells me I am welcome to reclaim the extensive range of old hi-fi gear from his home. Included are two reel-to-reel tape machines that actually belong to me anyway - a 1970s Sony TC377 and an ex-BBC Ferrograph Logic 7. After the logistics are sorted I am really looking forward to getting back to the lovely, open, undoctored sound that only 7.5in per second reel-to-reel recordings provide.
 Recording off the radio? - Fenlander
There is still something delightfully simple about recording onto cassette or reel to reel. My 2002 5 series has a cassette as well as 6CD unit and I reckon it's the first car I've owned with cassette for over 6yrs. I'll start recording to them again for my old LPs where it's far too much faff to get a computer anywhere near the record deck.

The TC377 is still a great machine if serviced, by now most have the rubber drive belts broken or slack. Sell for robust prices too.... obviously the Ferrograph even more so.

I mostly have a working reel to reel and cassette deck about and, accepting it's a bit of a nostalgia trip, they still do the job.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 23 Jun 14 at 10:25
 Recording off the radio? - spamcan61
Given that an audio 'line in' is a fairly rare best on a consumer PC these days - although some can configure the 'mic in' as a line level input - my first plan of attack would be to use one of the various audio grabber programs as suggested above. I would think freebie Audacity can be configured to do it, I use TotalRecorder as I have been doing for a decade or more, although it isn't free:-

www.totalrecorder.com/

Plan B would be to use an external USB sound card and record to Audacity or whatever that way; you can get a USB sound card for around a tenner (assuming the PC doesn't have a usable audio input built in) I use one of these, available from a multitude of sellers:-

tinyurl.com/lvsnh5l

Recording off the radio? - sherlock47
Audacity v 1.2.6) supports recording from
'Stereo Mix' which is stereo of whatever computer is playing
Microphone In
Line in which is presumably hardware dependent.

For a first time user it takes a little time to understand some of the options, WRTFM?
I listen to the radio on my phone and PC using Tunein radio

tunein.com/

And then record anything I listen to by using Free Sound Recorder

www.freesoundrecorder.net/

Which gives me an MP3 file to do with as I wish
 Recording off the radio? - Mike Hannon
By managing to get connected to the BBC iPlayer before lunchtime I have just managed to record last Friday's episode of 'Monsieur Pamplemousse Investigates' on R4 Extra, via my 2nd generation iPod, 34-year-old Aiwa tuner-amp and almost equally archaic Aiwa 3-head tape deck.
I now have the programme on cassette, which we will listen to this evening on the patio (we don't do TV much) by playing it on a Panasonic 'walkman'-style device I used to use for work, through the 10-euro stereo that I picked up at a car boot sale near Monte Carlo a few years ago.
Happy days!
 Recording off the radio? - zookeeper
the tune in pro app has a recorder
Latest Forum Posts