Non-motoring > Listening to The BBC Online Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 5

Listening to The BBC Online - Duncan
The PM programme on BBC Radio 4, has just delivered the information that there were certain sounds from Royal Ascot that the Beeb were not allowed to broadcast.

What and why would this be?

Does anyone know?
 Listening to The BBC Online - WillDeBeest
Something to do with music rights, I imagine. Sometimes broadcasters get a licence that allows them to broadcast an event on radio but not online.

Our own Slidey may have a more precise answer.
}:---)
 Listening to The BBC Online - Slidingpillar
Almost certainly correct. Sports events are often parcelled up and sold all over the place. When this happens, not unusual for the internet rights to be one sale, the radio in one country another and so on.

I probably could find out a little bit more, but as I'm typing on a Friday evening, it won't be timely and probably won't add much to what has already been said. Getting details of contractual stuff is a bit hard as the 'commercially sensitive' flag can often be raised.
 Listening to The BBC Online - Armel Coussine
I was hoping for something more along the lines of seditious clamour from republican demonstrators, fox lovers or other enemies of the state. Or four-letter words from people in barouches in shiny top hats. All more than likely.

Shame.
 Listening to The BBC Online - No FM2R
Channel 4 has the UK TV rights until 2017 or thereabouts. I think the BBC managed to retain the radio rights back in 2012.

I cannot think what "sounds" R4 should not broadcast. I'd be surprised if it was music.

Strange term to use as well.
 Listening to The BBC Online - Slidingpillar
Very few presenters actually have any knowledge or understanding of how radio and tv work; consequently they do say the strangest things at times.
Latest Forum Posts