Non-motoring > Learning to ride a bicycle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 34

Learning to ride a bicycle - Chris S
I never had a bicycle as a child and cannot ride one. I'd like to learn now.

How difficult is it to keep your balance - about the same as standing on one leg?

Also would there be any advantage to buying a bike trailer to help keep me upright at first, or should I be able to do this fairly quickly?

Learning to ride a bicycle - bathtub tom
I'd say a trailer would be no help at all, quite the contrary.

My kids learnt with stablisers, that were slowly raised (without their knowledge)!

Perhaps on grass, in a low gear or downhill, with gloves, elbow pads, knee pads and helmet?
 Learning to ride a bicycle - L'escargot
All I can remember is (a) not being able to control where I was going and (b) falling off a lot and (c) getting lots of gravel rash on my knees because in those days we wore short trousers. But that was probably just me, so don't let my experiences put you off learning to ride.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 12:45
 Learning to ride a bicycle - crocks
>> How difficult is it to keep your balance - about the same as standing on one leg?

Once you can do it, much easier than standing on one leg. About as difficult as walking on two legs.

All the trailers I have seen provide no lateral stability.

Just borrow a bike,set the saddle low enough to get both feet flat on floor, and have a go.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - RichardW
I suspect learning to ride a bike as an adult is more difficult than as a child due to fear of falling off, and it being further to the ground! Nevertheless the bike actually keeps itself up as long as it is moving forwards - push a bike along by the saddle and let go and it will keep going till the speed falls away or the steering is turned. My 3.5 year old nephew is already a proficient rider - we went on a 12mile ride weekend before last - and he has been taught without stabilisers - which kind of makes the trailer issue not really the way to go (and anyway a trailer will probably have a fully bendy hitch so no help there)! Nephew first had a trainer bike which has no pedals - just learn to scoot it along and learn to balance. Then move up to a bike with pedals. I would do the same for an adult I think. Get a bike and adjust the saddle so that you reach the floor with both feet, and possibly remove the pedals - practice punting it along till you can comfortably balance it whilst freewheeling. When you get to this stage, then add the pedals back in, and should be fairly easy to transfer to first freewheeling with your feet on the pedals, then to actually pedalling it - probably putting the saddle up a bit. Eventually the saddle height should be such that your heel just reaches the pedal with knee slightly bent, which means barely being able to touch the floor with a toe if sat on the saddle. Remember the faster it's going the easier it is to stay up - counter intuitive perhaps, but it's much easier to ride at 10mph then 2mph - and also that it MUST lean over in corners - if you try and work against it whilst cornering you will fall off! Once you've got proficient in this, time to move onto clipped in shoes - much more efficient for cycling!

I want to learn to ride a unicycle next.....!
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Bromptonaut
I don't think there's anything at all to gain from using 'stabiliser substitutes'. There as plenty of informed evidence that they're bad for kids learning never mind adults. Balance is only difficult if you start to think about it, the bike is maintianed upright by the forces acting on it including a centrifugal effect from the wheels. It's not comparable to standing on one leg tip toes or whatever.

David Halliday of the CTC suggests a reverse ABC, CBA, where C=control and B=balance, A= Away or someting!!

Start with a simple bike, suspension and other gimmicks add weight and can cuase unorthodox handling. A Mountain Bike with a sloped downtube may be better thanan old fashioed 'gents bike with a crossbar.

Set the saddle low enough to be able to balance easily while astride the bike, probably a bit lower than normally reccomended for riding. With rear wheel heldd off ground set a middle/low gear say the middle (number 2) chainring and 2 or 3 on the rear sprocket. Start on level ground - grass makes accidental landings softer but can be more difficult to ride over than smooth tarmac.

First of all sit astride the bike and make sure you can operate the brakes comfortably. At low speed they only need a gentle squeeze. You may need an asistant to help support the bike for the first few bits of manouevering; it's possible to ride hobby horse fashion but ankles and pedals can clash easily!!

You'll soon have the confidence to lift feet off the ground and the balance reflex will come quickly. Once you've got that far it's time to practice 'proper' starts. PLace your left foot on the ground and use your right foot to raise the right pedal to the 2'o'clock position. The left/right foot bit is not terribly important but once you progress onto the roads it's better if yor nearside foot is on the ground - the offside is vulnerable to being run over!! Place right foot firmlly on pedal and push off. You'll fall afew times but soon confidence will improve. Practice more in park or wherver until your confident in turnig, slalom and figure eight manouevers.

Before venturing on the road it's worth trying ot get some proper training. Many local councilsin London provide this inder TfL funding; the CTC or other groups may be able to point out what's avaialble in your locality.

Oh and join the cyclechat forum www.cyclechat.net/index.php

You'll meet a few familiar faces though some go under different names
 Learning to ride a bicycle - FotheringtonTomas
Once you can do it, you won't notice you are doing it.

Find somewhere with a gentle downhill slope, so you can stand astride, sit, coast, use your feet as stabilisers, no need to go fast.

When you've got the hang a bit, pedal pedal.

Avoid going up irregularities such as road->path where there's a hard 1" "step" ftom the dropped kerb to the tarmac.

Wear some old clothes at first in case you fall over.

Don't use the brakes agressively 'till you're used to the thing.

Try and get a cheap 3-speed Sturmey Archer machine (loads on e-Bay cheap) 'till you've mastered the art.

To change gear on a SA: At standstill, move the pedals (with one foot) back as you change. When on the move, briefly stop pedalling, change gear, pedal again.

Various other stuff.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 13:06
 Learning to ride a bicycle - borasport
Chris - join the club, I didn't learn to ride until I was a few months short of 50.

As others suggest, trailer/stabiliser wont help

Will you be cycling to and from home, or do you have a way of transporting the bike somewhere else to go and practice ? If you don't want to be seen falling off in front of the neighbours (been there) see if you can find a nearby industrial estate on a sunday morning (but watch for all the learner drivers).

One very important piece of advice is get a bike that is the right size for you - if it isn't, it will make things a lot harder.

Stick to smooth, paved surfaces until you get confident, canal towpaths can be an alternative.

Have fun !

p.s. - it's the slow speed stuff that's the trickiest
Last edited by: borasport on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 13:26
 Learning to ride a bicycle - sherlock47
>>>>>until you get confident, canal towpaths can be an alternative<<<<

that is the last place I would want to learn! I am still nervous about cycling alongside water!
 Learning to ride a bicycle - TheManWithNoName
My son learnt using a balance bike. It had no brakes and no pedals. He simply pushed along with his feet to get a feel for the handling. As soon as he went onto a proper pedal bike he picked it up in minutes and was riding round the local park like a thing possessed.

So buy an old bike and lower the saddle and remove the pedals.

Best of luck!
If they're still cheap a seventies 'universal' shopper bike from a tip, freecycle or fleabay would, as suggested, be ideal as a 'trainer'. The do however seem increasingly popular as non-flashy, non theft prone student transport.

I'd also endorse the suggestion that removing pedals might help in the early stages. Easier to remove the pedals than the cranks; rusted cotter pins are almost impossible to shift.

Don't forget though that the left pedal has a left handed thread!!

Learning to ride a bicycle - movilogo
I learnt to ride a bike at 30+ years of age! At that time, I created this article how to ride at adult age. I think it might help you.

Learning to ride a bicycle - for Adults!

First answer this - is your bike a free-wheeling? Free wheeling means when you push the bike without pedalling, its pedals should NOT rotate.
If your bike's pedals do roate while pushing it, your bike is not free-wheeling. If you bike is not free-wheeling, it is recommended that you remove the pedals initially and re-attach them once you learnt to balance.

You now need to remember following points

* Learning to balance a bike is most important point.
* Don’t operate front brake initially
* Practice in a long stretch, so that you can gain some speed without stopping.
* If you have a geared bike, it doesn't matter which gear you put it on while you are learning to balance without pedalling.
* To balance a bicycle, you’ll need to get it going at a fast walking speed (~10 km/h or more) so its self-correcting geometry can become activated. The only trick you need to know is to steer the front wheel in the direction that the bicycle leans. This will bring it upright again. (This theory is applicable once you've successfully managed to glide the bike - not before you started to ride a bike) It is very difficult to balance at very low speed.

Step 1: Seating

While seated on bike saddle, your feet must be able to touch the ground. Not full flat feet touching is required, at least you should reach ground with part of your toe. This is necessary to prevent falling of the bike if you lose balance.

Step 2: Finding a place to practice

Find a long stretch of land (~ 200 meters or more) so that you can gain some speed without stopping. Try in a time when there no other people/cars around. It is strongly advisable to find a place which has some slope. Even a gentle gradient is fine - as long as you can glide in your bike without pedalling (by the force of gravity). Most long footpaths have a slope on one side - so they are ok for practicing (as long as you don't have pedestrians near by)

Step 3: Start to ride (balancing)

Place your bike on road (or footpath etc.) and sit on the saddle with your both feet on ground on a slight downward slope. Now push off the bike with your feet as far as possible so that you start to glide. Don't operate handle bar in this instance. On first few occasions, almost immediately after starting you'll lean on either side. Prevent falling of completely with one of your feet. Do NOT start to pedal at this time. Repeat this step (gliding by gravity) over and over again till you manage to coast without falling/leaning down. By the reflex of your body, you'll also start controlling the handle bar slightly (if you turn it too much, you'll fall). At this time, you'll almost start activating bike's self correcting geometry (provided you gather some speed). The bike will automatically slow down once you've run out of sloping area (otherwise if you want to stop while coasting, pump (press & release quickly) rear brake (or both brakes but NOT front brake alone) few times. It will slow you down so that you can make complete stop with your feet. Repeat this step many times till you manage to coast confidently without losing balance.

Step 4: Start Pedalling

Once you managed balance while coasting, try pedalling. In this step, it will be useful if anyone holds the back of your bike (so that you don't fall off) while you start pedalling with your feet. Even if someone holds you for 10 minutes (s/he has to run along with you), that's enough. By that time you'll learn how to pedal while maintaining balance.

Now start pedalling on level or very low incline. Use a medium gear (say 3rd if you have 5 gears on rear cassette). Keep the front gear into medium position (if you have gears in front sprockets as well).

Even when you think you've learnt to ride, you'll still fall of initially when you just started pedalling. Prevent complete falling of with your feet. These are all part of learning :)

Step 5: Direction change

Start practicing slight direction changes at first. When you're in speed, you can change direction by slightly leaning on the side where you want to go (often without rotating handle bar). However, initially you still need to rotate the handle bar slightly (don't rotate too much else you'll lose balance).

Step 6: Practice & more practice

By now, you'll have some confidence of riding alone! Practice and enjoy your new freedom. Once you managed basic tricks, you might need to raise the seat a bit for comfortable pedalling.

Good luck :)

PS: Always remember ABC before riding any bike

A = check air pressure in tyres
B = check brake
C = check chain
Last edited by: movilogo on Fri 25 Jun 10 at 14:40
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Zero
>>
>> PS: Always remember ABC before riding any bike
>>
>> A = check air pressure in tyres
>> B = check brake
>> C = check chain
>>

Nooooo completey analy rententative. You just get on and cycle. Its only a pushbike, not a pre flight check.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - bathtub tom
Completely agree.

What are pedestrians for if not stopping you on the pavement, who needs brakes? ;>)
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Robin O'Reliant
One tip when cornering -

The only thing you need to do is to relax and look where you want to go and everything else will happen naturally, including the degree of lean which will take care of itself. Most new riders are wobbly on corners because they either stare at the front wheel or at the obstruction they need to avoid.

Look where you are going and you will go where you are looking is the key.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Ian (Cape Town)
Learn to brake with wet brakes.

I learned by hammering into a Sierra.

car brakes in the wet are 200x more effective than bike brakes in the wet.
your not going fast enough to worry. (as a bycle learner that is)

Your an adult for gawds sake, just get on it and ride the damn thing.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Robin O'Reliant
And unless you intend riding on the rough stuff, don't waste your money on a mountain bike. If you want flat bars a hybrid is much better.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Bellboy
havent read the posts but can give some information
i learnt as a kid and can jump on most things (ok not all things as i have standards)
anyway the wife never rode a bike as a kid (i was shocked to learn this) so she got a bike 3 years ago,ive maintained it year in year out,unfortunately she doesnt grasp the fact you need space to learn to ride and so tried in our back garden,the gate marks prove she failed and unfortunately the bike now resides outside and slowly rusts

motto of story?
learn on a big open space where falling off wont hurt and be prepared to accept you wont master it
like learning to left foot brake in an auto really as discussed earlier this week
 Learning to ride a bicycle - borasport
Chris - Bellboy has a very salient point, and as I said, it's the slow speed bits that as difficult. Check your local authority, a few (a very few) do do adult cycling sessions for learners, and there are some towns/authorities that are very much pro-cycling

If you can find somewhere with a hard surface and a bit of space, then sticking two or three cones/jumpers/tin cans on the ground and weaving in, out and round is all a good excercise.

If i'm not being nosy, what has prompted you to this ? - I took it up because I felt a bit crap at not being able to do it, particularly when is was somkething SWMBO enjoys, and also becuase any excercise is good exercise, and also I work away from home and sticking a bike on the roof rack and going out for a ride in the eveningsis infinitely preferable to staying in the bar of a Premier Lodge/Travel Inn

Me'n'her have been out this morning, there is an old freight railway runs from Chester to Connah's Quay, its level and tarmacced, marvellous ride, lovely weather, scenery and wildlife - get out there !
When you've learnt to ride, try learning to mount the bicycle from the right hand side as well as from the more normal left. When you can do that you'll be able to truly consider yourself to be an accomplished rider!
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Iffy
Try putting your left foot on the left pedal, shove off, and then throw your right leg over the saddle.

Or right foot on right pedal etc etc.

Learning to ride a bicycle - devonite
>>Try putting your left foot on the left pedal, shove off, and then throw your right leg over the saddle.<<

This is the method i always used as a kid! but when i re-took up cycling last year, 45 years later, it was quite a shock to realise that poor old left hip wouldn`t let leg clear the saddle! end result ....fell off, hurt elbow and other leg. so now the most dignified way to mount for an over 30, is to stand alongside bike facing direction of intended travel (don`t get this bit wrong it makes it hard work!!) then lay bike almost flat to floor and step over crossbar on to left pedal, straighten bike up, and away you go!!
Talking of mounting methods reminds me of one of the Members of the YHA group I cycled with in the early eighties. George stood alongside the bike, raised his left leg then lifted it over the handlebars. Looked quite odd and you somehow expected him to end up facing the wrong way!!!
>> Try putting your left foot on the left pedal, shove off, and then throw your
>> right leg over the saddle.
>>
>> Or right foot on right pedal etc etc.

Right foot on right pedal is much more fun.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - henry k
>>Right foot on right pedal is much more fun.
>>
Even more fun on a "fixed wheel" bike.

Everyone should learn to ride on one :-)
>> Even more fun on a "fixed wheel" bike.
>>
>> Everyone should learn to ride on one :-)
>>

Turning sharp left at speed is fun, especially if the left hand pedal touches the ground as you lean to the left.
There is no "normal" side when riding a bike. you get on whatever side is facing you.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Chris S
Thanks for all the advice - I'll give it a go!
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Runfer D'Hills
On the contrary, one should always mount and dismount from the left, anything else is just uncouth.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Manatee
>> On the contrary, one should always mount and dismount from the left, anything else is
>> just uncouth.
>>

Absolutely correct, I'm surprised it's necessary to point this out in polite company. It all follows from most people being right handed, which also led to driving on the left.

In earlier times, you would always pass to the left of an oncomer so you had your sword arm on that side.

If you try to mount your bike from the right, you'll likely get your sword in the spokes and serve you right.
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Bigtee
Riding a bike is snip easy for me but swimming isn't it takes time to master it and practice to get it right, i went swimming after pulling a muscle in my foot, circuit training was out of the window so did this i was rubbish untill one of the staff thanks to him helped me to swim better.

3yrs down the road i can swim with the best of them i go 3x times a week so my advice is don't rush it just enjoy it if you fall off so what! get up and do it again build up to it & when buying a bike look for one that is light these heavy cheap bikes are of no use there sold to novices look for a good one.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 00:01
 Learning to ride a bicycle - CGNorwich
"It all follows from most people being right handed, which also led to driving on the left. "

Apart from of course mainland Europe where they are all left handed and drive on the right :-)
 Learning to ride a bicycle - Manatee
>> Apart from of course mainland Europe where they are all left handed and drive on
>> the right :-)

Ah...well here it gets even more far-fetched. Naturally the French aristos rode on the left, swords arms et cetera as above. The unmounted peasants therefore had to walk on the right.

Come the revolution, Napoleon introduced a keep-right rule, presumably on the doctrinaire basis that only bad eggs kept to the left. The countries under Napoleonic influence followed suit.

The Danes apparently went rightist off their own bat - but they are just con-trary folk in my experience.

users.telenet.be/worldstandards/driving%20on%20the%20left.htm

Actually all this has got me wanting to get my bike out!
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 09:24
Latest Forum Posts