Non-motoring > World Cup 2014 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 204

World Cup 2014 - Duncan
I am fed up with the World Cup!

The sooner England get knocked out and we can all return to what passes for normality, the better!

Bah!
 World Cup 2014 - Focusless
Based on England's last performance (0-0 against Honduras) it shouldn't be long...
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"I am fed up with the World Cup!"

I don't mind a bit of 'real' football i.e. non-league stuff, but I have to admit, the blanket advertising by the BBC is getting on my nerves.

Can somebody please explain the significance of the 'England' Subbuteo player in the advert who is carrying his head under his arm; has he been beheaded for missing a penalty?
 World Cup 2014 - ....
Today's Matt (Daily Telegraph June 12th)
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
 World Cup 2014 - Crankcase
This might sound mad, but until this thread I had no idea there even was a World Cup, and even then I had to check to see what sport it was.

If it's that easy to miss how can it be irritating I wonder?
 World Cup 2014 - Bromptonaut
I'm fed up with 5Live majoring on Wendyball in last few days but it is supposed to be a News AND Sport channel.

Will spend next four weeks listening to R4 a bit more instead.

PS - There's a joke running on Twitter that the pilot of England's plane has been told 'leave the engines running - we'll only be away for a tick'.
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"the pilot of England's plane"

See cover of the latest Private Eye.
 World Cup 2014 - CGNorwich
Apart from the poor TV reception what's it like living on the third moon of Jupiter then?
 World Cup 2014 - henry k
If it's that easy to miss how can it be irritating I wonder?

How could you miss such exciting news?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2655604/Not-average-England-boss-A-former-public-school-master-speaks-seven-languages-loves-opera-set-join-Garrick-Club-So-Roy-Hodgson-succeed-wide-boys-spivs-failed.html

or analysis of the tattoos on some of the players ?

By Christmas the inquest of the event may have started to die down :-)
 World Cup 2014 - henry k
p.s.

A little more visual info can be found here :-)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27777911

..and in case you bin left out :-( the last but one photo shows the way to spread the joy.
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
I sometimes wonder how many of the flag-wavers watch football at any other time.
 World Cup 2014 - Alanovich
I sometimes wonder why so many people feel the need to be so derisory about football in particular. It doesn't happen to other sports.

I'm a bit non-plussed about cricket, but hey, if you like it, go for it. Similarly, golfism.

The anti-footballers are a bit tiresome.

Wendyball indeed. Do give it a rest.

As an occasional member of the Tartan Army (went to the friendly against Nigeria a few weeks ago), may I wish England the best of luck. Hope they bring the trophy home. And if they end up coming back a bit early, I'll be happy to have a little dig at my mates about it too. Can't lose, really. The beers are in the fridge for tonight, tally ho!

Freedom for Tooting and Fulham for the Cup!
 World Cup 2014 - Bromptonaut
Not so much anti football as anti its domination of sporting (and other) news.
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
I have seen just one car displaying two little red cross UK flags, somebody who thinks the team is going to get somewhere. Many people aren't that interested and a lot of rest don't care much. And all the physical stuff! Hamstring niggles, groin strains etc. A rider in the TT this year had an accident and damaged an ankle, had it set in plaster at the correct angle for gear changing and was back ridiing the next day. That's guts and spirit and determination and he probably hasn't got any tattoos - better things to spend his money on!
I'd wager it's somewhat easier to ride a motorcycle with a dodgy ankle than to run at full stretch for several miles over a 90 minute period.

But that wouldn't let us take a cheap shot at football/footballers again, would it.

Saw a car with an Italian flag this morning. Wonder if I can get a Bosnian one anywhere.

Oh, and tattoos. Yes, motorcycle riders are notorious for having no tattoos. Aren't they.

Sigh.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 12 Jun 14 at 13:59
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
N0 not the racing riders! Yawn
 World Cup 2014 - commerdriver
The flags with the red cross on a white background are not UK flags, they are England flags. The other nations in the UK, Scotland in particular, are very kindly leaving all the fun to other people while discussing more serious matters like whether JK Rowling is Scottish enough to vote.
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
Whatever - they indicate some sort of wasted allegiance!
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"And all the physical stuff! "

Respect to your TT guy, Meldrew, but these days, football is a pretty physical game and professional players are all athletes if they want to survive in the game. On the subject of injuries, a friend of mine, only last month, ruptured his Achilles tendon whilst captaining Cambridge United back into the football league at Wembley. He won't play again before Christmas.
 World Cup 2014 - Robin O'Reliant

>> Respect to your TT guy, Meldrew, but these days, football is a pretty physical game
>> and professional players are all athletes if they want to survive in the game. On
>> the subject of injuries, a friend of mine, only last month, ruptured his Achilles tendon
>> whilst captaining Cambridge United back into the football league at Wembley. He won't play again before Christmas.
>>

In my time I've played football and rode cycle races. I've slid down the road at 30mph, took yard of skin off my leg and arm and jumped back on again and been one of the finishers. It looked heroic, dripping blood everywhere and it hurt like hell afterwards but I was able to ride without any problems.

Playing football, what the Wendyball sneerers would laugh at as a "Tap on the knee" has left me unable to walk for the best part of a week after being helped off the pitch with tears in my eyes. Make no mistake, football is a very tough and violent sport and those who do it at the top level have to have a very high pain threshold.
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
I am not comparing like with like to be fair. No footballer is going to play, or even be allowed to play, with a limb in plaster!
 World Cup 2014 - BobbyG
>>two little red cross UK flags

What do these UK flags look like??
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
White flags with red crosses on them, innit? tinyurl.com/md68roe
 World Cup 2014 - rtj70
Meldrew, I think you'll find he was asking about these 'UK' flags because they are not 'UK' flags are they. They are English flags.
 World Cup 2014 - Armel Coussine
>> They are English flags.

Small ones on sale for a quid in a nearby town this morning. I didn't buy one.
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
I don't know - there is some footie on, abroad, and people have flags draped out of their house windows and on their cars so I am deducing some connection.
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"Not so much anti football as anti its domination of sporting (and other) news."

Bromo doesn't like football, but upholds the right of people to play football if it's part of their culture ;-)
 World Cup 2014 - Pat
I don't like football and there's no Emmerdale tonight either, but the people who fly the England Flag on their cars don't worry me at all.

Let them enjoy their sport, I would fly a yellow flag with a number 49 on it if I thought it would help Rossi to win on Sunday.

I have a Scania plate on my potting shed door, I have a Flying Witch nameplate in my greenhouse...both went miles and miles in my windscreen, so what's the difference?

Live and let live:)

Pat
 World Cup 2014 - madf
England will fail to qualify and we'll blame the ref...

End of story.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 12 Jun 14 at 18:13
>> End of story.

Nope - I've got Germany in the office sweepstake :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 12 Jun 14 at 20:05
 World Cup 2014 - WillDeBeest
Ivory Coast for me. That's one thing we have over the Endless Weekend crowd here. And our own teeth, of course.
};---)
 World Cup 2014 - Runfer D'Hills
I like football and especially the World Cup.

It keeps the sort of people who at the very least can induce catatonia with their conversation about it, or who find shouting abuse and obscenities or even fighting each other about it, all concentrated in manageable and predictably located groups for hours on end.

Makes everywhere they are temporarily absent from so much more pleasant.

;-)
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
Right now Brazil are drawing 1:1 with Croatia.

The World Cup will become a little difficult if Brazil lose, and if they fail to make it out of the Group stage it will become a train wreck.

Half finished stadiums, public transport strikes, murders and muggings are as nothing compared to that event.

Very bad losers, The South Americans.
Yes, remember Colombia. 1994, was it?
 World Cup 2014 - Ted

Brazil have won...3...1
That will cheer them up.

But I expect our lads to beat them in the final. The Nipper is looking pale and determined.
 World Cup 2014 - rtj70
I'm glad they won - they didn't deserve to. I was worried they would riot if they lost!
 World Cup 2014 - PeterS
>>
>> Brazil have won...3...1
>>

Hurrah! I got Brazil in the sweepstake at work but I know nothing, and have less interest in, football :-)
Travesty of reffing last night. A penalty that wasn't, a goal disallowed which should have stood. Guess which way they went?

I expect more of the same. Bad taste in the mouth this morning.
>> Travesty of reffing last night. A penalty that wasn't, a goal disallowed which should have
>> stood. Guess which way they went?
>>
>> I expect more of the same. Bad taste in the mouth this morning.
>>

And Neymar should have got a red for that elbow, he was looking directly at the opponent when he jumped and knew what he was doing. The truth is they cannot afford to lose Brasil in the group stage and they'll do what it takes to get them through.

World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
Don't think that they will care. For them it is not about how you play, it is only about winning.

Argentina was never bothered by *that* handball, and Brazil won't be bothered about this, they will just endlessly celebrate their win.

On the other hand, should they lose it will all be about the referee, the cheating, the weather, etc. etc.

I guess you can say that attitude is everywhere in football in some way, but not to the extreme it is in South America.

I was living in Sao Paulo in the World Cup where France beat Brazil - 98, perhaps? All the media was full of conspiracy theories around how FIFA have never wanted Brazil to win, and the brave Brazil has fought through but in the end FIFA offered the referee too much money.

It is not pleasant or attractive.
 World Cup 2014 - Ted

>> On the other hand, should they lose it will all be about the referee, the
>> cheating, the weather, etc. etc.

I wasn't aware that Brazil's manager was Alec Ferguson !

World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"It is not pleasant or attractive."

That's why I stick to non-league stuff. Though, in truth, you can find skulduggery there as well - it's just that it's at a lower level.
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
Santiago is very quiet. And by 18:00 (11pm UK) it will actually be deserted. There will not be a car on the streets.

It is quite amazing. Every single person will be watching the match somewhere - even posh restaurants have televisions wheeled in.

And if Chile score you can literally feel it. 6million people, none of them actually audible individually, will all shout together and you can feel it and you can hear this weird, loud "background" noise.

Its very difficult to explain, but its impressive.

If Chile win, they're playing Australia, then none of us will get any sleep since they will be driving around the streets blowing their horns and shouting all night. Literally, all night.

If Chile lose, it will be absolutely silent for the night until the cacophony starts on the media in the morning. Because if they do lose, the whole country will be disgusted by the injustice.

They're already talking about the FIFA/Brasil/Referee conspiracy this morning.
I'm often quite pleased that there are so many things I really don't care about. I'd imagine it's quite stressful that caring business.

;-)
>> I'm often quite pleased that there are so many things I really don't care about.
>> I'd imagine it's quite stressful that caring business.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

It is, Runfer. The result of a football match I once attended, as a final straw on an already sagging camel's back, had serious personal implications for me, leading to medical treatment. I'm not kidding. It's that bad. It even led to 6 months away from internet forums, which I'm sure wasn't noticed here. This is a few years back.

It's pathetic, I know, but that's how I'm wired.
>> It's pathetic, I know, but that's how I'm wired.

Good God Alanović. Must we all be extra polite to you on fraught issues to reduce the probability of your suffering some sort of seizure? We might enjoy the spectacle of you becoming mildly annoyed, but we wouldn't want anything like that.

I promise to drive with excruciating care and avoid saying anything that might be construed as anti-Slavic. OK?

:o}
Nah, it's OK AC. None of you could hurt me as much as my football team does. Not even close. Must be some form of masochism I suffer from.

In a funny way I'm quite pleased that my chosen national team has not qualified for the World Cup this time (nor any since '98). I enjoy the event so much more.

:-)
Talking of how people are wired up. I must have some short circuits. I've always enjoyed playing or participating in a wide variety of physical recreational activities and regard many forms of sport as a useful and attractive part of daily life, but even the branches of it I'm most interested in mainly bore me as a spectator. If I were to spend an hour kicking a ball around with some others I'd enjoy that but watching other people do it, no matter how skilled they may be, holds no interest for me.

As for caring who wins, well, I just don't unless I'm the actual competitor or member of a team of competitors attempting to do so.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be good to give a flying fig about such things but by and large I don't and never have.
>> Sometimes I wonder if it would be good to give a flying fig about such things but by and large I don't and never have.

If I'm interested in a sport I usually have some sort of partisan feeling during a game, a mild preference. Being an adult though I am more interested in the drama of competition than in who ultimately prevails. I may be pleased or displeased by the result, but I won't freak out either way like some sort of Latin American or football fan chap...

Fanatical devotion to any sport has an infantilizing effect on the enthusiast. But it is the nearest thing to culture in all too many lives (surely not yours though Alanović).
'S complicated, AC. Innit.

It's not the sport I'm fanatical about, just one particular club to which I have strong personal links and, therefore, I suffer out-of-proportion emotions occasionally. Like I said, pathetic. But I can't help it. It's the summer now, they are out of my thoughts and actions. A relief, really. As you indicate, my personal culture is somewhat deeper.
I suppose a psychologist or sociologist or some kind of 'ologist anyway could explain it but it strikes me as someone without the benefit of any 'ology that there seem to be those who like to badge/attach/associate themselves with a group as part of their personal identity and those who don't.

Fans of sports teams or maybe those who are avidly nationalistic or ardent supporters of political parties or those who idolise certain pop stars or actors, members of religious groups or whatever it is they choose to align themselves with or identify with, it seems to me to be a very primeval need to be a member of a tribe as opposed to the other kind of personality who in their primitive brain would have been the lone hunter type.

The cavemen with herding tendencies were probably more successful at surviving due to strength in numbers hence the propensity for the dominance of that trait in modern man.

The lone hunters would have been much more vulnerable but presumably enough of them managed to muddle through well enough to pass on their instinctive preferences.

There is so much of our so called modern behaviour which I remain convinced can be traced back to our most ancient and primitive needs and habits.

Fascinates me anyway.
 World Cup 2014 - Roger.
OMG - that's racist talk ;-)
I know you're joking Roger, but for the avoidance of doubt, it's actually the complete opposite. Human behaviour is remarkably similar and predictable regardless of cultural background when you crunch it down to the basics.

We are after all, as I've postulated many times, all just descendants of a small group of smart monkeys who found certain behaviour ( some which when coldly analysed is actually quite destructive ) enabled and expedited their biological success and led to the worldwide spread and diversity of their progeny.
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
>There is so much of our so called modern behaviour which I remain convinced can be
>traced back to our most ancient and primitive needs and habits.

I think that in some ways its perhaps a pity that its not continuing to be so.

With the cavemen, or as a member of a caveman group, you brought value or you died.

Yet survival of the fittest changed over time to protection of the weakest. Now that might bring a nicer place to live, but it leads to a weaker herd.

Then add a drive towards lowest common denominator to protect the feelings of the weak and inadequate, and we can see a lot of the reasons that society is heading in the direction that it is.

We can also see the weak gathering into groups with like-minded and snapping at the heels of the strong. Ultimately the weak, as their numbers increase, will win when their majority is large enough.

That will then lead to a collapse of that particular society, and so it will begin again, perhaps. But maybe not as far back to basics as it needs to be.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 13 Jun 14 at 17:08
A socially discomforting theory Mark but quite possibly accurate.

To drag the thread screaming back to its title if not it's spirit, we do as creatures seem to need or at least enjoy conflict and combat displays of which many sporting competitions are ultimately sanitised versions.

Vicarious celebrations of victory over enemies are clearly evident in primate groups in particular.
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"A socially discomforting theory Mark but quite possibly accurate."

It's basic Darwinian biology; it is at its basest in the currently-discussed use of rape as a weapon of war.

The altruism bit, though not as readily straightforward, can be explained.
 World Cup 2014 - BobbyG
Alanovic, come on, you need to tell us, who are your team??
>> Alanovic, come on, you need to tell us, who are your team??
>>

I refer the honourable gentelman to the post I made on Thu 12 Jun 14 13:11. My club team is Fulham. The match which caused my problems was the 2010 Europa League Final. But as I said, it was really just a final straw - it was one of the worst periods of my life, personally. The disappointment of that result and the way that it unfolded just broke me finally. I'm better now.

My national team has always been Scotland - but I can cheer for England and was disappointed they didn't win on Saturday. Hoping for better against Uruguay, but I have to say as a national team Uruguay have long been the most cynical, desperate, violent bunch of cheating thugs in the history of world football. I'd support any other country against them. And now they have the crowning turd in football's sewage pipe playing for them - the despicable Luis Suarez. Even one of their own, Gus Poyet, admitted their reputation on TV this weekend.

Come on England.
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
I'm looking forward to this evening's Spain/Netherlands game. Finalists last time, I don't think I'll ever forget how the once-skillful Dutch tried to kick the Spaniards out of the ground; a disgraceful display. This time I have a team to shout for - come on Spain!
I just heard the Belgian footballer Romelu Lukaku being discussed on the local NW England news tonight.

Never have I heard so many sequential vowels being tortured so quickly !

;-)
>> I'm looking forward to this evening's Spain/Netherlands game. Finalists last time, I don't think I'll ever forget how the once-skillful Dutch tried to kick the Spaniards out of the ground;
>> a disgraceful display. This time I have a team to shout for - come on
>> Spain!
>>

I was fully behind the Dutch in that game. It was a masterful display of aggressive football, played that way because it was the only way they could overcome a team who could spend 75% of the game retaining possession - and boring the pants of everyone who wasn't Spanish with it. Shame they lost, they got the physical side of the game just right, played it rough while just keeping right side of the ref.
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"It was a masterful display of aggressive football,"

I throw my beer over you! ;-)
 World Cup 2014 - manuel_fawlty

>> I was fully behind the Dutch in that game. It was a masterful display of
>> aggressive football, played that way because it was the only way they could overcome a
>> team who could spend 75% of the game retaining possession - and boring the pants
>> of everyone who wasn't Spanish with it. Shame they lost, they got the physical side
>> of the game just right, played it rough while just keeping right side of the
>> ref.

Señor Reliant o'Robinno he is correcto. España decide years back they too small and slight as nación to compete in fútbol in normal strong way.

So they develop short rapidó posesión pass game style call tiki taki.

Is common sense that strong brutal game defeat my defeat them si?
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"that strong brutal game"

A unique blend of football and karate!
 World Cup 2014 - manuel_fawlty

>> Señor Reliant o'Robinno he is correcto. España decide years back they too small and slight
>> as nación to compete in fútbol in normal strong way.
>>
>> So they develop short rapidó posesión pass game style call tiki taki.
>>
>> Is common sense that strong brutal game defeat my defeat them si?

Holanda 5 España 1
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"Holanda 5 España 1"

Somebody clearly reminded the Dutch that a) the game is called football for a reason and b) they are actually quite good at it!

World Cup 2014 - BobbyG
And I have The Netherlands in the office sweepstake.
Just sayin like........
 World Cup 2014 - Roger.
>>
>> >> Señor Reliant o'Robinno he is correcto. España decide years back they too small and
>> slight
>> >> as nación to compete in fútbol in normal strong way.
>> >>
>> >> So they develop short rapidó posesión pass game style call tiki taki.
>> >>
>> >> Is common sense that strong brutal game defeat my defeat them si?
>>
>> Holanda 5 España 1
>>

Hola Perro! Hablas Spanglish muy bueno. Innit?
>> Hola Perro! Hablas Spanglish muy bueno. Innit?

Is Manuel Fawlty the dawg in a new guise? If so, why is he lying so low?

I think we should be told, you young poonhound you...
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
William Hill have England at 25/1 and 1th on the list of 32, to win, as opposed to Brazil at 3/1 and top of the list.
Paddypower had 10 punters back holland to win 5-1.

Why can't I ever pull something like that?
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
11th -fat fingered typo!
>> 11th -fat fingered typo!

You owe me Meldrew.

When I saw that 1th I gave herself a heart attack by emitting a long, shuddering howl, hurled a heavy glass ashtray through the TV screen, ordered an expensive but unsuitable new car on line, hurled the cat into the undergrowth and ran out into the street firing a shotgun and using obscene language.

It's very unkind to get a chap's hopes up like that.
 World Cup 2014 - Dutchie
What a match.Didn't think Holland would be anywhere after that fake Spanish penalty..;)

Come on Arjen Robben and Van Persie.Hope England wins tonight they should.

World Cup 2014 - sherlock47
www.thepoke.co.uk/2014/06/09/32-incredible-football-trick-shots/

If this is for real, the guy is a genius!

If it is not for real and all created using CGI, the guy is a bordering on being a genius!
>> Come on Arjen Robben and Van Persie.Hope England wins tonight they should.

Dutchman you're a cool cat, one of us, and you know we love you. You're missed when you don't post. It worries people.
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
I too have travails in my life! I have just spent £500 on line and, having paid and got an order confirmation I found a voucher that would have got me £10% off my purchase. cannot be applied retrospectively. You should go into sit-com script writing - you have an excellent turn of phrase and sense of the ridiculous!
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
The England Game....

It makes me think of the competitiveness thread.

If you decide you want to play for England at football, then you should go out there and do your best or die trying.

Watching that game it seems that England, who were probably the more skilful, tried a bit. Italy, on the other hand, committed to their desire to win.
 World Cup 2014 - Ambo
Who won?
 World Cup 2014 - Westpig
I'll admit to disliking football and not bothering to watch the matches ..but.. why do people become all surprised at England's lack of ability?

The Premier League has become full of exceptionally expensive prima donna's who are very self centred.

Football is a team sport.

The two don't equate.

Now, I hear you say, how does the opposition manage? Well maybe the bling lifestyle and all it's accoutrements don't feature quite so highly in their world as it does over here, maybe the culture is different, maybe there's a bit more drive, ambition, a team identity and a team need to win?

That's my view anyway.

World Cup 2014 - Fullchat
Football is right off my watch list but must admit to watching the 66 final.

However when I'm outgunned 3 to 1 I have endured the Brazil / Croatia and of course last nights England match.

I'm ashamed to admit that I was mildly entertained. In both matches the teams were equally matched they were chasing goals and there was constant action at both ends of the pitch.

Now, how is the World Rally Championship doing? :(
Did England lose then?

Oh dear. What a pity. Never mind. Shame really. Chin up eh?

;-)
 World Cup 2014 - Roger.
I understand that the Premier league teams are full of players imported from foreign climes.
This may be all very well for the clubs and their supporters, but it hardly leaves too much room for home-grown talent to thrive.
Regrettably, the same is happening in that superior sport, Rugby Union, although we have exported some of our brightest talents to those dratted French interlopers!
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
Over the last few weeks our teams and individuals have been duffed up in cricket, hockey, golf, rugby football and tennis. Do I detect a trend?
 World Cup 2014 - madf
You only need to look at where we recruit managers and trainers not from (i.e not England ) to realise the problems are pretty basic. If you don't train players properly and don't manage them well....

When did an English Manager win the UK English Premier League?
Last edited by: madf on Sun 15 Jun 14 at 12:07
 World Cup 2014 - Duncan
>>
>> When did an English Manager win the UK English Premier League?
>>

2014 Northampton, Jim Mallinder.
 World Cup 2014 - devonite
Hodgsons fault! picked a team comprising mainly of Liverpool and Man utd Players, two teams that hate each other in the premier league are now expected to "play nicely" together!. Plus the fact that the Liverpool players "bottled" the league title under the pressure, and none of the utd players were good enough to play together and finish higher than 7th!!
 World Cup 2014 - CGNorwich
"two teams that hate each other in the premier league are now expected to "play nicely" together!"

Do you really think football players hate their opponents? It's a business, they play quite happily for whoever pays them best and are quite happy to change clubs to further their career. It's only an element of the supporters who go in for this rabid them and us thing.

England played well last night and it could easily have been a draw or an England win. I don't think they will have too much trouble on Thursday against Uruguay.
 World Cup 2014 - Duncan
>> I understand that the Premier league teams are full of players imported from foreign climes.
>> This may be all very well for the clubs and their supporters, but it hardly
>> leaves too much room for home-grown talent to thrive.
>> Regrettably, the same is happening in that superior sport, Rugby Union,
>>

In that superior club, Harlequins, 89% of the playing squad are England qualified.
 World Cup 2014 - legacylad
As a seriously lapsed football supporter, I sincerely hope that England do well. My spectating began when I was 7yo, being taken to watch Bradford Park Avenue alternate Saturdays. Following their demise, I had season tickets for Huddersfield Town in their glory days, then Burnley then Leeds during the Revie era.
In my local pub early doors yesterday a group of around twenty local lads, some not so young, arrived well oiled. Wearing footie shirts and more face paint than the cast of Cabaret, they sang, danced, chanted and were very loud! Some older pub customers grumbled and left, but for what it's worth, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves. Not how I would enjoy myself, but live and let live. I'm pretty sure a few of them would not see 11pm as they probably peaked mid afternoon after a noon start on the beer.
I watched the second half of the game after the end of Forrest Gump, and only recognised four names. Hart, Rooney, Gerrard and Sturridge. The other seven I had never heard of but good luck to them all.
I seldom watch football and know almost nothing about it. But I did watch England-Italy last night. Top-class football does supply sublime shots and moments between what, to a sport philistine like me, feels like longueurs. It's nearly always a watchable spectacle, easier to follow than the untidy-looking Rugby Union.

For what it's worth, I thought both teams played dazzlingly well and no one was humiliated. The game could easily have been drawn or gone the other way. The Nipper played well but was out of luck, and looked a bit hot. There were two very twinkle-toed black players for England. I like these day-glo orange and lime-green boots they are wearing, and one or two players on the field were wearing boots of two different colours.

Not sure whether I will watch any other games though.
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"one or two players on the field were wearing boots of two different colours."

That's to help them remember which is their left, and which is their right foot.
 World Cup 2014 - Ted
I stayed up last night and watched the Argie/Bosnia match. I had expexted an Argie goal rush, but not so. The first, own goal, was a deflection off a Bosnian's knee into his own net. The rest of the game was good and fast flowing with each side scoring a ' proper ' goal.

I was in a dilemma as to who to support as there were 3 Manchester City men between them.
Ended up rooting for the Bosnians. I think the Iranians are on stage tonight. That could be entertaining !
>> I think the Iranians are on stage tonight. That
>> could be entertaining !

Yep, a Fulham player in the squad for Iran. Come on you Persians!
>> Come on you Persians!

This World Cup is making me into a football aficionado. After about seven minutes of that game I told herself that it would be a nil-nil draw.

Both teams were highly skilled at stealing the ball and really lousy at keeping it.
Well well, there's hope for you yet, AC. Keep this up and you'll soon be a season ticket holder at a local club. Perhaps I could suggest Crawley Town, or Brighton and Hove Albion? I suppose QPR would have to be your native team, though. My sympathies.
 World Cup 2014 - Meldrew
I thought we had a bit of a problem with hooliganism, not as bad now as it used to be. I have just read on BBC news website that in Chile the fans were so pleased with their win that, in Santiago, 300 buses were vandalised. 6 people were kidnapped, and 40 bus drivers were assaulted. Lucky they didn't lose then!
 World Cup 2014 - BobbyG
I believe there are 22 players on the pitch just now but all I have heard so far is about Howard Webb........
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
>> I have just read on BBC news website that in Chile the fans were so pleased with their win that, in Santiago, 300 buses were vandalised. 6 people were kidnapped, and 40 bus drivers were assaulted.

Sounds like standard BBC POS to me, but I'll check, certainly there was nothing on the lunchtime news.

Like the time when Pinochet was under arrest in the UK and my Mother rang me in a panic because of the BBC's reports of mass hysteria and riots outside the British Embassy.

At the time I was sat in a street cafe in El Bosque Norte, right outside the Embassy, chatting with a couple of military policemen. I guess we missed it.
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
In fact, it turns out, that there was a basis of truth, I'm quite surprised.

Except that 6 empty buses were hijacked, not people.

www.latercera.com/noticia/nacional/2014/06/680-583084-9-mas-de-300-buses-con-danos-6-secuestrados-y-40-conductores-agredidos-tras.shtml
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 19 Jun 14 at 18:44
 World Cup 2014 - Roger.
"They think it's all over........................................"
 World Cup 2014 - Lygonos
Presumably only works if you have a facebook acoount, but here's a TV snapshot from the Uruguay end...

scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10426878_10152517665709700_1984699267701929001_n.jpg
The black Italian football star Balotelli says that if he scores a goal in his next game he wants the Queen to kiss him 'on the cheek of course'.

A footy pundit on the box tonight said that if he scored the winning goals in his next two games his wish might just be granted.

It won't happen, but it would be nice.
Of course it won't happen. Her family of economic migrants and political asylum seekers are rooting for Germany and Greece.
 World Cup 2014 - madf
>> Of course it won't happen. Her family of economic migrants and political asylum seekers are
>> rooting for Germany and Greece.
>>

You forgot to add:

Millionaires, living on benefits paid by hard working taxpayers,with few qualifications and never having worked in a real job in their lives.

:-)
Last edited by: madf on Fri 20 Jun 14 at 11:42
 World Cup 2014 - BobbyG
>>You forgot to add:

Millionaires, living on benefits paid by hard working taxpayers,with few qualifications and never having worked in a real job in their lives.

and you forgot to add about staying in the country's biggest Council House..........
Aren't you forgetting Denmark?
>> Of course it won't happen. Her family of economic migrants and political asylum seekers are
>> rooting for Germany and Greece.
>>

Overlooked in the Honours List again this year, Alanovic?

Oh dear.
 World Cup 2014 - Roger.
Apropos of nothing at all - my G.P has been awarded an OBE in the birthday hons!
Will I have to knuckle my forehead when I enter his presence and grovel for a prescription?
 World Cup 2014 - Lygonos
I guess the Beeb didn't miss it after all:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27939845
What a sad act you have to be to behave like that.

And that's from an occasional Tartan Army member.

(I spotted him on the telly myself and did give an involuntary snigger though, I must admit.)
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
I cannot imagine cheering a team losing when it has no effect on one's own team.

What a strange thing.
Oh I can. It's what causes me to blow a fuse when Chelsea play Liverpool. I never know which one to celebrate losing the most.
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
Really? Wouldn't have thought you were the type.

World Cup 2014 - Lygonos
I wonder if the guy has some link to South America - apparently also followed Uruguay at 2010 (not in England's group).

And I'm sure all you English will be cheering on Germany in the later rounds....

World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
>>And I'm sure all you English will be cheering on Germany in the later rounds

I vastly prefer to watch matches where I have no vested interest in who wins. Its why I avoid allegiance to any one Premier League team.

It allows one to choose who to root for in any game without previous hangups. And if Germany are playing well, and fairly, in any game I watch, then I'd support them as much or as little as I'd support anyone else.

Reading's occasional stay in the Premier League complete ruins that. Fortunately it doesn't last long.
You can support a team outside the Premier League, NF. It is allowed. Good job as I'm going to have to next season.

:-(

I absolutely love it, love it when Chelsea and Liverpool lose, especially matches of real consequence. Cheers me right up. Other than them, I'm pretty much happy to support any British side in European or World competition.

Like you, I enjoy tournaments in which my own team are not participating. Like this World Cup. Although, for pretty much the first time ever, I was quite put out by England losing last night. Bah. All I need is another team of no-hopers on my list to get all disappointed by.
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
>>You can support a team outside the Premier League, NF

Not interested in doing so Al. I like sitting on a fence.

The problem with watching England is the way they play. I don't really mind them losing, its the lack of effort, commitment, zeal and most of all their seeming lack of pride at playing for their country. I've always supported England Football Team mostly because of the lack of opportunity to support Wales at the World Cup.

For example, Hodgson was reported as saying that players would sing the National Anthem with pride. Instead, they looked like they were singing it with the same enthusiasm that I used to reserve for mumbling hymns at primary school.

Sitting with a bunch of South Americans of various persuasions and watching the commitment, enthusiasm and energy that they both play and support with, whatever the skill levels just makes it worse.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 20 Jun 14 at 15:30

>> For example, Hodgson was reported as saying that players would sing the National Anthem with
>> pride. Instead, they looked like they were singing it with the same enthusiasm that I
>> used to reserve for mumbling hymns at primary school.
>>
>>
I absolutely detest it when players bellow out the National Anthem. It should be listened to in dignified silence, not treated as part of the chest thumping-badge kissing nonsense that goes on now.

And National Anthems should be reserved for finals only, not played as a matter of course. Especially ours, which is so boring any fire in the players belly is sapped out of them by it. At least we haven't had the England Band so far. I keep hoping for news that they hired a private plane to get to Brazil and it's gone missing.
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
I'm not so sure about the kissing, but IMO this country could do with a bit more chest-thumping.

And I like our Anthem.

What's the England Band?

EDIT: Oh, I see "badge kissing". I missed the word "badge".
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:38
>>
>> What's the England Band?
>>
>>
If you've never heard the tuneless brass ensemble that seek to "Entertain" the fans and inspire the team during England's matches you are one very lucky man.
Although football can be an exciting spectacle I soon get bored by it and very seldom watch a game all through. I don't have 'a team'. I root, mildly, for England, and in non-international games for whichever team engages my sympathy, often because it's the underdog but not always. I never really care about the result. I may be pleased or displeased, but it won't spoil or make my day.

I will be rooting for Italy in its next two games. If it wins them I can go back to rooting for England until it beats Brazil in the final.

What I really don't understand is the wiseass masochistic position of the miserable sods who keep calling England a bunch of no-hopers. I saw some stupid blonde chick on the box last night who said that they never win and can't. Someone said they did once, and she smirked and said yes, but that was quite a long time ago. Why do we listen to these people?
Another thing I don't get is rejoicing in some team's defeat. If the winning team doesn't do it - and they never do - why do the armchair warriors? It seems to me nasty and mean-spirited. I sympathise with losers. Who hasn't tried and failed to do something?

Of course footy fans en masse are essentially moronic owing perhaps to the mind-numbing clamour in stadiums. Fan psychology is pretty strange. I suspect the more simple-minded ones see teams as having personalities like the individuals they know and either like or hate. Nothing whatsoever to do with expertise let alone rational thought.
>> Another thing I don't get is rejoicing in some team's defeat. If the winning team
>> doesn't do it - and they never do - why do the armchair warriors? It
>> seems to me nasty and mean-spirited. I sympathise with losers. Who hasn't tried and failed
>> to do something?
>>
>>
You'd have to be a lifelong fan of one particular club to understand that, AC. It's a tribal identity thing.
>> It's a tribal identity thing.

I've never been a real member of a London tribe. Even if I were, I would still feel the losing side ought to get a bit of respect and sympathy.

Why rub people's noses in it? Bunch of savages if you ask me.
...why do the armchair warriors?

You can tell from the bellies on some of them that they gave up long ago on achieving anything for themselves, so vicarious satisfaction is the only kind they have left.

A friend of mine has this affliction - lifelong attachment to a club that has known better times than it does today, but not the belly. He at least has the self-awareness to recognize that he's not entirely normal, and will occasionally let me tease him about the successes of his club's arch-rivals. But only just. It's mighty peculiar.
 World Cup 2014 - Stuartli
>>And I'm sure all you English will be cheering on Germany in the later rounds>>

I will be. Got Germany in the club's sweepstake.

Already virtually guaranteed the prize for fastest goal. Who would have thought that the USA, of all teams, would notch a goal in just 29 seconds...:-)
The other day I was at the office. One of the lads there asked to borrow my car to run an errand, I lobbed him the keys and forgot about it for a few hours.

Then I went into a meeting for another hour or two.

When I finally got back to my desk the car keys were on there and I popped out to the car to fetch something.

The little toe rag had put those England flags on it !

Then when I got back to my computer the the screensaver was on, yep, you've guessed it, a picture of my car with those sodding flags on.

Then the email, cc the world, with a video of my car, flags flying, being driven around the company car park with the company logo sign in clear view.

Our key customers were in copy, our major suppliers were in copy, our sales reps were in copy etc etc...

I am Scottish and that guy is in trouble !

( or at least I let him think he was for a while )

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 20 Jun 14 at 22:12
 World Cup 2014 - Kevin
>The little toe rag had put those England flags on it !

I guess he couldn't find Scottish flags. Probably not enough demand to make it commercially viable eh?
The covering email made reference to something along those lines actually.
Perhaps he just wanted to give you something in your life to be proud of for once, eh Runfer?
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10914352/World-Cup-2014-Police-investigate-fans-with-wheelchairs-pictured-standing-up-during-matches.html

Its a different world, albeit one I like. You will never convince a Brazilian that any activity in this article is wrong. Against the law, perhaps, but not "wrong".

I like Brazil. They have a saying, "In Brazil, 2 + 2 is more or less 4". You have to live there to understand how entirely true that statement is.
Costa Rica has beaten Italy and killed my dreams of national glory. For the first time since 1958 we are in some humiliating position or other.

Do I hate the sleazy d***s? Of course not. I confidently expect them to go all the way.

World Cup 2014 - swiss tony
>> The little toe rag had put those England flags on it !

This could explain things Humph! ;-) i.imgur.com/gfU4mGq.jpg
 World Cup 2014 - Roger.
I am patriotic enough to want England to win at any sport. I just don't give a damn about Association Football.
I groan when England Rugby Union get beaten by the All Blacks, or the England Test Side (not stupid 20/20) lose to almost everyone, but it's only a game after all.
 World Cup 2014 - Duncan
>> I am patriotic enough to want England to win at any sport. I just don't
>> give a damn about Association Football.
>> I groan when England Rugby Union get beaten by the All Blacks, or the England
>> Test Side (not stupid 20/20) lose to almost everyone, but it's only a game after
>> all.
>>

The most annoying thing about your team/club/country losing is when someone says 'it's only a game'.
 World Cup 2014 - swiss tony

>> The most annoying thing about your team/club/country losing is when someone says 'it's only a game'.

But, that is exactly what is is!
 World Cup 2014 - devonite
In light of what is now becoming a "Stevie G" party - trick, England now have a new Captain!
He will captain the team home from Brasil in his nice shiny A380.
I learn that England is to play against Costa Rica soon (I learn something new most days).

Perhaps England will win against them. It's not impossible. On stone-paper-scissors logic that could mean that England had really won the World Cup in all but fact. Or something.

I don't think I'll watch it though. The tension of rooting for both teams could give me a seizure.
 World Cup 2014 - ....
>> I learn that England is to play against Costa Rica soon (I learn something new
>> most days).
>>
>> Perhaps England will win against them.
>>
More chance vs Costa Coffee.
 World Cup 2014 - madf
I watched Costa beat some other team - Spain (I think).

they looked exciting..

Not something you could ever accuse England of being..

Anyone who thought England will win a game - let alone qualify - has obviously not seen the friendlies they played.

Short of ideas and skill I thought... (and that's the players not the coach)
Last edited by: madf on Sat 21 Jun 14 at 18:34
 World Cup 2014 - ....
At some point in time the FA is going to wake up and demand alignment with the Premier League.

We keep hearing about how fantastic the Premier League is, which it is as a marketing brand. On the downside, the FA keep getting their noses rubbed in it through the National team at International championships.

It reminds me of GCSE and A level results being the best year on year, yet universities and employers bemoan the output of the education system at GCSE and A level is not up to scratch.
>> At some point in time the FA is going to wake up and demand alignment
>> with the Premier League.
>>
>>
The FA are in no position to demand anything, they're the paupers. The Premier league is where the money is and the clubs couldn't care less about international football, regarding it as no more than an injury risk to their best players.
 World Cup 2014 - ....
Bing, Bing, Bing we have a winner.
FIFA should introduce a no win penalty. If you don't win the WC for 25 years then you lose a star. The history books honour the winners but the current players have to earn the right to wear the badge.
 World Cup 2014 - Roger.
www.soccersouls.com/2014/06/world-cup-sparks-islamist-debate-on-rectitude-of-soccer/
 World Cup 2014 - Haywain
"www.soccersouls.com/2014/06/world-cup-sparks-islamist-debate-on-rectitude-of-soccer/ "

When it comes to rectitude, soccer does have its bad points; I've seen some nasty fouls but, thankfully, no decapitations.
 World Cup 2014 - Duncan
>> Bing, Bing, Bing we have a winner.
>> FIFA should introduce a no win penalty. If you don't win the WC for 25
>> years then you lose a star. The history books honour the winners but the current
>> players have to earn the right to wear the badge.
>>

Can anybody help out?

My PC doesn't seem to have the facility to translate this into English!
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
There are around 8,000 buses in Santiago carrying around 5m people from and to 12,000 bus stops.

After the attacks on the buses after the last two Chile games, a total of 600 odd damaged, the bus drivers have had enough.

So as Chile are playing right now, *all* the drivers have taken *all* the buses back to the depots. Rush hour (6pm - 9pm) is going to be complete chaos.
 World Cup 2014 - TheManWithNoName
England manager Roy Hodgson has set up a friendly match for England against Iceland in a bid to keep fans happy.
If they win that game, on Saturday they'll play Tesco and then Asda next Wednesday.
I've been watching England/Costa Rica. Nil-nil at half time, a bit depressing really. Must I watch the second half to see if anyone scores?

They say Costa Rica is missing two of its best players. England seems the stronger team, but hasty finishes and the other team's 'hunger' haven't let it prevail. The referee is anti-England I think and has missed two penalties close to the enemy goal.
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
Well don't watch Uruguay / Italy. Its even worse.
I think if England don't lose, that counts as a win.
 World Cup 2014 - smokie
I'm not a fan and only caught up with the pundits after the match. One of them said that the other bunch weren't hungry as they were just wondering what their next game will bring. So we still only managed a draw with a team who weren't trying? That's got to be disappointing.

England lack some bite in their game I think :-)
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
One of the players was quoted as saying "it good that we got a draw, it would have been embarrassing to go home with no points". (or something like that)

Right. So going home with one point is ok then??
 World Cup 2014 - mikeyb
Saw Roy being interviewed after the match. He thought the team did really well........

I suspect he was just relieved to have not lost
 World Cup 2014 - madf
If the downwards trend continues - and the FA will do FA about it so it will - we will not qualify for the 2018 final..
 World Cup 2014 - No FM2R
Well at least it will be less torture.
 World Cup 2014 - henry k
and cheaper

www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/england-vs-costa-rica-world-cup-2014-arriving-after-elimination--priceless--england-fan-wins-best-banner-award-9560595.html
 World Cup 2014 - Ted

Well, never mind. Time to look forward to Manchester City starting their defence of the title at Newcastle on August 16th.
Just heard on the Ken Bruce show -

"Is there any truth in the rumour that the England football team are landing at Glasgow airport so they can be sure of a hero's welcome?"

;-)
England have only won it once before, whereas fellow non-qualifiers Italy have won it 4 times. I wonder how they're taking it?
Something like this?

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=kp&v=sFacWGBJ_cs
Ah - the classic that kept Ultravox's Vienna off number 1.

Just watching the BBC France/Ecuador half-time summary, according to ex-England players Chris Waddle and Alan Shearer the reason for our poor showing is that we're not as good at cheating as the foreigners. We need to stop being so honest and do more diving. (Slight paraphrasing but that was the gist.)
 World Cup 2014 - henry k
Roy Hodgson and the England team visited an orphanage in Brazil yesterday before flying back to the UK.

"It is heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope"

...... said Jose, age 6.

World Cup 2014 - ....
Any truth in the rumour since his 4 month ban from all things football Liverpool are sending Suárez out on loan to the Scottish Premier League ?
Time to look forward to Manchester City...

Yes, it will be exciting to see if they can pile up enough pounds, sorry, points again.

When you watch Manchester City play Chelsea, you are watching oil money playing gas.

Simon Evans
 Gnasher - Armel Coussine
They could at least blunt that man Suarez's teeth with an angle grinder or heavyweight dentist's equivalent, surely?

Fifa's disciplinarian ban has messed up the poor infant's next year in two football leagues and weakened the England team for the next nine international games, apart from scuppering Liverpool's chances next year.

Hands off the jagged-fanged nipper!
 Gnasher - No FM2R
>>and weakened the England team for the next nine international games

And I hadn't even realised that Suarez played for England. That'll come as a shock to Uruguay.
 Gnasher - Armel Coussine
>> And I hadn't even realised that Suarez played for England. That'll come as a shock to Uruguay.

Heh heh... some footy aficionado eh? Guh, er...
 Gnasher - ....
I reckon 888 have shot themselves in the foot cancelling their deal with the buck-toothed one.
They could have made a mint out of self-deprecating promotions with the bitey one.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 27 Jun 14 at 21:22
 Gnasher - devonite
I think Poly-Grip may spot an opportunity tho'
 Gnasher - Boxsterboy
Whenever I see Suarez, I am reminded of Freddie Mercury. The buck teeth, the South American ancestry, the black hair ... But now he's banned, I guess they won't be singing 'We are the champions' any time soon.
 Gnasher - smokie
I get what you mean but Freddie wasn't South American.

"Mercury was a Parsi born in Sultanate of Zanzibar and grew up there and in India until his mid-teens"
 Gnasher - Armel Coussine
Suarez explains that he stumbled into the other player teeth first, hurting both the gnashers and his cheekbone (visibly bruised).

Perhaps we and Fifa have misjudged him owing to his previous form as a nipper who really nips.
 Gnasher - Duncan
The thing that puzzles me somewhat about the bite thing, is why the South Americans? are blaming the English press for stirring it up!

Why?
 Gnasher - Robin O'Reliant
>> The thing that puzzles me somewhat about the bite thing, is why the South Americans?
>> are blaming the English press for stirring it up!
>>
>> Why?
>>
Possibly because the British press eulogise thugs like Tommy Smith, Roy Keane and hundreds of other "Hard men" who put players out of the game for months on end and caused many of them to need replacement knees and hips later in life, then ramp up the pressure on FIFA to make an example of a "Dirty foreigner" who never even broke the skin of his opponent, a man who himself thought the punishment was over the top.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 29 Jun 14 at 10:14
 Gnasher - Aretas
tinyurl.com/lwsohwo
 Gnasher - Westpig
>> tinyurl.com/lwsohwo
>>
Now that is funny.
 Gnasher - Armel Coussine
No doubt you saw yesterday's cartoon of Mr Juncker as Suarez, sinking his teeth into Cameron's neck area... it made me laugh aloud.
 Gnasher - henry k
>> >> tinyurl.com/lwsohwo
>> >>
>> Now that is funny.
>>
His fans probably view it as a halo .
 Gnasher - smokie
There were more www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28014318 and www.youtube.com/watch?v=SouPzHAzW9s were among the better ones.
 Gnasher - smokie
And now this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281376955140?clk_rvr_id=662150563294
 World Cup 2014 - henry k
USA players told to 'change their flights'

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28078500

World Cup 2014 - madf
>> USA players told to 'change their flights'
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28078500
>>
>>
>>

That would - or should - serve as a wake up call to the FA if it happens.

But the old fools need to be burned alive before they realise a volcano erupting is a cause for concern
 World Cup 2014 - Aretas
I don't watch much football, mostly 'cos I don't like the personalities and antics of many of the players.

Nevertheless, with England gone I decided to shout for Holland. Then they win by cheating. I wish the manager had the get-up-and-go the drop the penalty cheater for the next game.
 World Cup 2014 - Internet TV Quality - Bromptonaut
Watched ET of last night's Germany match and today's Argentina v Switzerland on net player.

In both cases image quality was reminiscent of Dad's 8mm/16fps home cine film.

How low can quality go before either it's unwatchable or public at least protest?

Even in digital 'HD' I don't think definition is an improvement on 625 lines analogue before digital editing came in.
 World Cup 2014 - Internet TV Quality - rtj70
What network were you connected to when trying to watch? BBC/ITV work fine for me at home (and even on a mobile via 3G or 4G). HD will hammer a network connection more of course. The same programme in SD being say 360MB could easily be over 1GB on HD. I know because I sometimes download programmes to keep from the BBC.

So I think your problem is lack of bandwidth on the Internet connection.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 1 Jul 14 at 20:26
>> So I think your problem is lack of bandwidth on the Internet connection.
>

My ISP is Demon but as there's neither fibre nor ISP kit at exchange here they're re-selling BT. Connection when tested is usually 12-14mb/s upload. I-player downloads are fine. I was looking at live coverage while doing other stuff so not wanting to break off and watch on TV/HD box.

Watching footy works fine in sense of being possible to follow without difficulty and audio/video keeping in synch. It's the quality of the image I was commenting on - slightly jerky and with dodgy exposure - sky whiting out etc.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 1 Jul 14 at 21:17
 World Cup 2014 - Internet TV Quality - No FM2R
The quality of image is directly related to the bandwidth used/available. Whiting out and pixelating, as well as jerkiness is usually a reaction to too little bandwidth.

12-14mbs is fine, but don;t forget that is a test between you, via a particular route, and a particular server. That may well differ between you and the video provider's server.

And if something popular is on, then contention will play a big part. And that contention can be anywhere between you and the video server.

Finally traffic is often shaped and whilst you may have 14mbs available, your ISP may not allow that much video traffic.

Depending on what else you were doing on the computer at the same time, that may also not have helped.

I have no issue with i-Player via a proxy in South America. However, there are other UK video suppliers which give me nightmares to the point of being unwatchable - ITV for one.

Nothing else of significance running on my PC and I'm in house on my own so not in usual case of Lad/Miss B either/both on either vids or music.

I suspect contention BBC>ISP>Me is the issue.
 World Cup 2014 - Internet TV Quality - No FM2R
>>I suspect contention BBC>ISP>Me is the issue.

I have had this and managed to test my speed at the same time in two ways;

1) using www.speedtest.net which showed me with around 40mbs download bandwidth.

2) Using iPlayer's own speed test which showed me around 0.7mbs.

I never worked out why, and eventually worked around it.
Tried watching the Belgium vs USA game on iPlayer live just now. Absolutely fine. Same/similar quality to using Freeview. Had both open side by side. Out of sync of course. One ahead of the other.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 1 Jul 14 at 22:58
>> 2) Using iPlayer's own speed test which showed me around 0.7mbs.

Now retired/removed?

www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6466-bbc-retires-its-iplayer-diagnostic-speed-test-tool.html
 World Cup 2014 - Internet TV Quality - Robin O'Reliant
Neymar goes into the Brazilian changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum. "What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only England . They're crap and we can't be bothered".

Neymar looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat them by myself, you lads go down the pub." So Neymar goes out to play England by himself and the rest of the Brazilian team go off for a few beers.

After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so get the landlord to put the TV on. A big cheer goes up as the screen shows " Brazil 1 (Neymar 10 minutes) - England 0 "

He is beating England all by himself! Anyway, a few more beers later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now,let's see how he got on" They put the TV on. "Result from the Estadio Do Maracana : Brazil 1(Neymar 10 minutes) - England 1 (Rooney 89 minutes)." They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against England !!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down" "Don't be stupid, you got a draw against England , all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end!" "No, No, I have, I've let you down!. I got sent off after 12 minutes"
 World Cup 2014 - Internet TV Quality - Lygonos
All those prayers...

The giant statue of Jesus...

Guess what? He's a German.
 World Cup 2014 - Internet TV Quality - Armel Coussine
The Brazilian fans who hadn't left the stadiums with the half-time score 5-0 are said to have laughed at the sixth goal and actually cheered the seventh.

A pundit said the German team 'seemed almost apologetic' in the second half and were greatly relieved that Brazil scored a goal eventually. Perhaps they even helped a bit - I didn't watch myself.

Neither team lived up to the sort of caricature stereotype we British might expect. Grace on both sides, fans included.

I have a very old friend who won't be at all pleased though, although he was happy to see England eliminated quickly. Don't ask, it's too complicated for me.
If the Germans looked apologetic it was while they were scoring four times in seven minutes during the first half. They looked keen enough in the second and should have had an eighth near the end. And, far from relieved, they looked livid with themselves at conceding that late goal - Neuer the superb goalkeeper in particular.

The home fans were certainly applauding Germany in the second half. Hard not to, I imagine; I'm no connoisseur of the game but it was as astonishing display. The Brazilian team and management were gracious afterwards, clearly realizing they'd not done themselves justice but that they'd been on the receiving end of something special. Worth staying up for; I've never seen anything like it.
This is the best World Cup I've seen, and I've seen them all since '62.
 World Cup 2014 - Duncan
>> I am fed up with the World Cup!
>>
>> The sooner England get knocked out and we can all return to what passes for
>> normality, the better!
>>
>> Bah!
>>

Well, it took a few weeks and 199 posts, but we got there in the end!
Got to wait nearly 2 months for the start of Euro 2016 qualifying..
 World Cup 2014 - commerdriver
>> Got to wait nearly 2 months for the start of Euro 2016 qualifying..
>>
When the might of world champions Germany take on ----- Scotland, how much am I looking forward to that?
 World Cup 2014 - henry k
After Nigeria was eliminated from the world cup the Nigerian captain personally offered to refund all the expenses of fans that traveled to Brazil.

He said he just needs their bank details and pin numbers to complete the transaction.

World Cup 2014 - DP
Had Germany (and Australia) in the sweepstake. £40 net profit. Brazil 2014 was OK by me :-)
Just in case anyone missed it (I had) here's the highlight from the England games (ok it was one of their 'warm-ups'):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6EP9bBbac

:)
Latest Forum Posts