Non-motoring > Oilrag as an HJ mod   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 55

Oilrag as an HJ mod - rtj70
I see that to reward Oilrag as a poster selflessly keeping the HJ posts going... they have made him a moderator today. Congrats ;-) He can now edit his own posts.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - CGNorwich
At least he will understand what they mean

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Zero
As he is the only one posting, it makes sense.

I doubt we will see him back here.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - oilrag
Grease yer sumps ;-)

I shall bend over in awe, wonder and supplication at your exhaulted promotion.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - RattleandSmoke
Well at least on here you have an audience :). Which reminds me I checked my oil level for the first time and pleased to anounce it was on maximum.
No doubt at 400 miles Oilrag would have changed the oil by now though :).

have you had to put any petrol in it yet?

Yep £50 quids worth at the last count. The only other liquid I've had to put in is screenwash as my car is parked under a lot of flipping trees.

Re the Mod`s position in the Backroom - Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I want to keep things separate so there is no disadvantage (or perceived slight) to either forum.
When I`m there - I`m there - and so on.

As such I won`t discuss the Mod`s post further on this forum. But I do look forward to being amongst you here too.

Hope that`s OK.

oilrag

(sorry couldn`t fit the alternative universe and space time incontinence into the above)

;-)

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Tooslow
"sorry couldn`t fit the alternative universe and space time incontinence into the above"

Well the editor of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy managed to fit one on his desk so he could go home for lunch so it must be possible. Try harder :-)

JH

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Roger.
"sorry couldn't fit the alternative universe and space time incontinence into the above"
Alternative universe - OK: but incontinence?
Stay-Dri pants required?

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Skoda
£50s worth?!?!?!

You should have bought a picture of a panda instead rattle ;-P

Well I water it down, the Panda runs on coca-cola I discovered too but Petrol is actually cheaper.

Oilrag it is really nice to see you on here again :).

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Runfer D'Hills
I'm everywhere and nowhere baby
That's where I'm at
I like to come here sometimes
Mostly for a chat
Flying across the country
Haven't got a hat
I'm everywhere and nowhere baby.....

And it's hi ho.....

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Bellboy
at least over there you wont now know if you are being praised or reprimanded when your posts are curtailed

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Stuartli
We still live in a free country...:-)

no, it was taxed in the last budget.
 Oilrag as an HJ mod - R.P.
It's Oilrag's concern, he's welcome to post here as well.

hes most welcome
most welcome indeed
but i sure hope he doesnt wear his fingers to a pulp
wonder if thats a recognised disease in computa speak :-(

Digital Trauma.

Generate your own complliments in oilragese

www.madsci.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~lynn/jardin/SCG

You do but seize my motor fixtures into a likeness not unlike the moon.

My first try was rather appropriate !

Oilrag as an HJ mod - L'escargot
>> Grease yer sumps ;-)
>>

oilrag, I'm pleased to report that 12 months after I was told by "my mechanic" that my sump was rusting, it's still leakproof without having been greased.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 24 Jun 10 at 07:48

Pleased to hear it, L`esc ;-)

Oilrag as an HJ mod - FocalPoint
So - a few days after he posts quite a lot over here, for the first time in ages, he is made a mod over there.

Cynical - moi?

just posted on MY FRED FRED
i had forgotten i started an oily rag y fred
so its true then
he gets
3 barnsley chops
a free subscription to the batley gazette
and a place in the hj towers of honours (till he poops on the carpet)

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Armel Coussine
he gets
3 barnsley chops
a free subscription to the batley gazette
and a place in the hj towers of honours (till he poops on the carpet)

Quite bb. I can never understand either what's in it for moderators who don't have a material or at least intellectual interest in the site. The latter I suppose might be satisfied by a consultative role, if such there is. But I don't fear being invited on board.

No one ever asked me to be a prefect or monitor at any of the eight schools I went to either. You would have to ask them to find out the reason. I never did. But I prefer anyway the role of left-field troublemaker and occasional rioter. You get more power that way. It's like being in business or crime instead of politics.

Heh heh.

:o}

>>No one ever asked me to be a prefect or monitor at any of the eight schools I went to either.

Not even Beaumont?? You must have been a problem back then too ;-)

I modded on HJ and spent a lot of time doing it - for no financial gain. Stupid I was. But oilrag has less to do over there as do the other mods. The trouble makers including me are here now!

Exactly. Bend over lad - slipper or cane?

;-)

Oilrag as an HJ mod - John H
Some of you seem obsessed with what is going on over there, like divorced or separated bitter, angry, spiteful "ex"es.

to some, it was a bitter and painful divorce. There is still much fighting over the kids.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Stuu
I was wondering when HJ was going to give Oilrag a column...

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Dave_
HJ has been coming in for a spot of ribbing on the sniffpetrol site this week. I won't link to it here because of the language used though. :-)

Oilrag as an HJ mod - MD
>> HJ has been coming in for a spot of ribbing on the sniffpetrol site this
>> week. I won't link to it here because of the language used though. :-)
>>
.*******

We (The Hardcore) have made a decision. Stick with it. History is for learning from. NOT for re-visiting.

Now all we need, or rather the site needs, is some new blood. It won't come easy, but hopefully it will come. We, the aforementioned hardcore, have moderated ourselves (I believe) and although this may seem a daunting place to the uninitiated, it is very friendly. One has to be of a certain persuasion to appreciate the banter I am sure. This place now takes up toooo much of my time, but I like it and I hope with all my heart that it remains.

Yours Sincerely,

Martin D.
 Oilrag as an HJ mod - MD
Part of the 'Missing Link' bothers me.

And clearly you.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Armel Coussine
>> HJ has been coming in for a spot of ribbing on the sniffpetrol site this week. I won't link to it here because of the language used though. :-)

Yes, but their 'Honest Al' doesn't sound much like HJ, although HJ's irritation with certain punters can show. However his real stock in trade is to supply accurate no-nonsense information to, generally speaking, the relatively ignorant. It's a valuable thing to do and he does it well. I have a lot of time for HJ.

I don't often look at sniffpetrol, but they make me giggle when I do. I remember with great pleasure a squib about 'the Stockholm poo summit" that ended '.... and make an electric car that isn't excrement', but using direct non-mimsy swearfilter-ignoring terms. Made me laugh.

I'm simple, I know.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 10:27

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Fursty Ferret
>> to some, it was a bitter and painful divorce. There is still much fighting over
>> the kids.
>>

"You have them."

"No, YOU have them. I don't want them."

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Caveman
It's now become apparent why there are so few replies to his posts on HJ. If he doesn't like the replies (or as he calls it 'spoilers'), then he deletes them.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=84831#m983055

Yet another reason to give the other side a miss and to continue reading and occasionally contributing here.

And 18 out of the current most recently replied to threads are authored by Oilrag... Hope he does not do this to all his threads ;-) And one of the others is by another mod.

Seems more popular to post on here :-)

Its amazing how a forum can go so bad so quickly. It is like a shop I suppose if you close it down for a month and then completly redesign it you can't expect all the old customers to return.

That's why the old mods were so worked up over the mess up over there initially. HJ's colleagues did not realise what they might be doing. But the rest of the site will still be making HJ and co money. Not the end of the world and overtime the site will attract new regulars.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - MD
Over time. Please.

>> Over time. Please.
>>

I agree ;-) The old regulars (now here) had been there for a long long time. Takes time to rebuild that.

Now C4P and co... get on and create a worthy site here too ;-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 19:51

Oilrag as an HJ mod - BiggerBadderDave
That's the first time I've looked in at HJ since I got that email.

'I have a question' should be renamed 'I have a load of crap' now it's just littered with one mad man's feverish, loony rantings to which no one has replied.

Glad he's busy over there anyway.
The guy labours under the delusion that posts comprised of incomprehensible twaddle peppered with ludicrous similes and metaphors somehow constitute works of literary merit of which others should be in awe.

He seems completely unable to deal with criticism except by deleting anything he deems a "spoiler"

Oilrag as an HJ mod - smokie
Any chance of you being polite about a member of this forum?

I think he was meaning a guy in a hat :).

He wasnt!

Oilrag as an HJ mod - Fenlander
>>>He wasnt!

But he sailed damn close to the truth anyway... hatwise so to speak :-)

>> He seems completely unable to deal with criticism except by deleting anything he deems a "spoiler"

Nobody anywhere said he'd delete anything he disagreed with did they? No.

All oilrag has said is he may just moderate his own threads which is most threads in non-motoring.

Up to him - leave it be.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - FocalPoint
I'm not sure I'm doing anyone a favour by extending the life of this thread. However, here goes:

While in another thread I made an issue about matters of principle regarding this site and HJ and was grilled for it by pda among others (and I do see where she was coming from) and also bearing in mind I made a flippant but basically critical remark about Oilrag's "elevation", I am upset by the way this thread subsequently seems to have developed into a personal attack on Oilrag, his style of posting and even his HJ moderation techniques.

I feel such remarks are uncharitable at best. I have a lot of time for Oilrag's eccentricities and feel we on this site are all diminished by some of the remarks here.

Although like most on c4p I welcome the "light-touch" moderation, for once I wish more intervention had been in evidence, beyond the occasional disapproval rating and mild protests.
 Oilrag as an HJ mod - Fursty Ferret
^^ Seconded.

Thirded !

Each to his own and live and let live.

Oilrag as an HJ mod - FotheringtonTomas
>> I feel such remarks are uncharitable at best. I have a lot of time for
>> Oilrag's

I agree with this psot.

Locked now.
Latest Forum Posts