Non-motoring > What will you be doing at 15.00 today? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 110

What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Iffy
I will be in a hotel in Sheffield watching the England game prior to entertaining some guests later on tonight.

I predict a win on the back of a much-improved performance.

What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Zero
I am doing a bit of freelance technical work in the East Midlands. Somehow I will watch it on line (after I have had a word with the firewall owner and gotten the correct port open)
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - oilrag
Listening to planes on the approach to Leeds Bradford airport (windows open - due to heat ) and watching football on TV.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Stuu
Just sat down with the wife to watch the commentators big up the team before we loose. Only watching it as theres nout else on. I did watch Argentina play yesterday and, well, we dont stand a chance.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Bromptonaut
>>Listening to planes on the approach to Leeds Bradford airport (windows open - due to heat )

Blimey Oilrag, I was probably doing that 35 years ago tonight; wasted my teenage years spotting @ LBA. All Viscounts, Friendships and 748s in those days.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 23 Jun 10 at 21:19
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Ted

I'll be taking a break from doing some touching up of scratches and general body fettling on the old car. I shall be making a pot of tea...bit early for beer.......and watching on the TV above my monitor thus getting the best of both worlds....Footy and C4P.

Ted
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Bellboy
>> I will be in a hotel in Sheffield watching the England game prior to entertaining
>> some guests later on tonight.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> are you the left hooker
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Focusless
Just about to walk over to our other office in Bath where they are showing the game in one of the meeting rooms. I think the team will win this one so that we can get even more disappointed when we get knocked out on penalties in the next round.

EDIT: (again)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 23 Jun 10 at 14:52
>> Just about to walk over to our other office in Bath where they are showing
>> the game in one of the meeting rooms.

Could only stay for the 1st half due to having to catch my (pre-booked) train, but at least I got to see the only goal and some decent England play. Good atmosphere - about 30 people in the room, picture projected onto a screen. BTW quite a few doctorates in the room - it's not just us chavs wot watch it :)

Well done to the company for laying it on, although I suspect it was at the request of IT who were afraid of the network grinding to a halt under the load of 30 people watching the streamed version on the BBC website.

Please don't let it go to penalties in the next round...
>> Well done to the company for laying it on, although I suspect it was at
>> the request of IT who were afraid of the network grinding to a halt under
>> the load of 30 people watching the streamed version on the BBC website.

Which is why the firewall had certain ports closed down this afternoon where i was, except a few "key" ip addresses that had "business need"

(me, the network security team, the IT manager, and the head of global logisitics)
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 23 Jun 10 at 20:09
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10393668.stm

UK internet traffic rose by almost a third during England's crucial World Cup match against Slovenia.

Figures released by internet service provider KC suggest that the game triggered a 31% jump in web traffic, as users watched the game via the BBC's live online stream.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - L'escargot
I'll be geting psyched up ready for Countdown on Channel 4!

1-0. About time !

Ted
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - rtj70
So around 49 minutes, just when England's second goal is disallowed and the commentator comments about it, the score briefly gets updated to 2-0 England ;-) and then back to 1-0.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - teabelly
Preparing to shove the annoying plastic trumpet some imbecile is making honking noises with where the sun doesn't shine.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - RattleandSmoke
I was doing my accounts and now doing anything to avoid watching another boring match where nothing happens.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Armel Coussine
HALF TIME

Saint Jermaine notwithstanding
I am moaning on the landing
Hoping passionately a pass’ll
Find the Nipper’s metatarsal
And whack into the net.

England expects, even in footy
Every man will do his duty
They must hack ‘n’ shove ‘n’ push’n’
Give the national team a cushion
(But it isn’t over yet)
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - R.P.
Good play at last from the England team. What disappoints are the commentators references to "heroes" and "dangerous out there" they're not and isn't - get some perspective people.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - smokie
I didn't watch the match, but well done to the lads.

I've watched bits of matches, and also had one on in the car the other day, and have found the commentators rather boring, continually going on about how boring a match is. I know they cannot resuscitate a dead game but McCarthy on TV last night, and especially one on the radio one afternoon, where there was a woman and a bloke droning on and on about how boring it was without actually describing what was happening, must've spoilt those for diehard fans.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Dog
>>another boring match where nothing happens<<

:) ... Great game comrade, and that's from someone who doesn't really follow football,
I listened to it on Radio 5 dead, like I have all England's previous attempts - great commentary!

Nice little ditty from Lud the wordsmith.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Armel Coussine
I really like dogs...
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - VxFan
I was in the middle of doing an open book exam and thoroughly enjoying no mention of football ---- until someone at the end of the exam went and spoiled it by talking about the result he'd received by txt msg.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - ....
Sat in the restaurant of the hotel here in India with twelve other Brits having dinner. Blocking the American contingent from watching the US of A by having the channel with Engerland's game, democracy winning 13 to 5 :)
No windows open here, only 32C, bit chilly.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Pat
We had just got off the boat after a trip up the river at Looe ( chosen because it would be quiet with everyone watching the match).
All of a sudden a cheer went up from both East and West of the river, Vuvu whotsits sounded and boats all sounded their horns too:)

Neither of us like football, but it was a moment to remember for ever and made us both feel proud to be british.

Pat
Pat, they won a game by the narrowest margin with a minnow country after a very lacklustre start !!
>> Pat, they won a game

stop there!
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Runfer D'Hills
Gosh this getting exciting. I gather that over the course of an hour and a half and at great expense an English chap managed to kick a ball between two pieces of wood and some Slovenian fellows didn't. Thrilling.
The jocks dont know how to do that.
At least the roads were quiet. I wish they would play every afternoon if it keeps them that way.
>> Thrilling.

Humph - you'll be telling us you don't like football next.
thats more than the French managed.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Bromptonaut
Was working in my office in Chancery Lane (though with the text commentary running on BBC website). The first indication of the goal was however the cacophony of cheers from the various nearby pubs with it live on tellybox.
Great - Germany in the next round (Sunday)
Of course, its destiny. Penalties anyone?
Please, nooo....
At least someone might score a goal. That should break it up a bit anyway.
>> Of course, its destiny. Penalties anyone?

It's alright - Kevin Keegan has just said on ITV that we are better than the Germans. And Gareth Southgate says we don't need to fear them. Job done.
So given recent form that makes the USA better than Germany ?
Yup, just like 1945. At least Russia didnt qualify.
....and France went home.
>> ....and France went home.

And Italy capitulated.

Yup its the 1945 world cup.
>> So given recent form that makes the USA better than Germany ?

Even better - obviously USA are rubbish as shown by the 1-1 drubbing we gave them so Germany should be a walkover.
my point exactly.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - BobbyG
So England managed to qualify by scoring only 2 goals over 3 games!!! Definite sign of world champions. And Shrek substituted with another injury.

We head off for holiday this Saturday, en route to Center Parcs staying over at my English aunt's house in Harrogate who is die - hard English football fan.

Now the issue here is how far can I push things - I could buy a Germany top, indulge in some banter etc, but if Germany do win, having seen her before, it could tip over from banter to god knows what.....

Might take the risk though, it would be worth it for a Germany win.... are the pavements in Harrogate comfortable for sleeping on?? :-)
...are the pavements in Harrogate comfortable for sleeping on?? :-) ...

Not especially, but you'll get a better class of passer-by.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Bellboy
dont stray too far from the little town centre though
>> So England managed to qualify by scoring only 2 goals over 3 games!!! Definite sign
>> of world champions. And Shrek substituted with another injury.

And where are Scotland? Oh yes thats right, still at home. 6 goals in 8 games I think, 11 conceded and lost 5 out of 8

What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - devonite
Snow White and the seven dwarfes were sat watching England on the telly, suddenly, the cottage explodes due to a gas leak. As the rescuers are sifting through the wreckage a little voice can be heard........"England are going to win the world cup.........England are going to win the world cup"
Quick! shouts one of the rescuers, "Dopeys still alive"!
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - BobbyG
6 goals in 8 games is better than 2 in 3 games :)
>> 6 goals in 8 games is better than 2 in 3 games :)

Not if you don't qualify !! :-(

Ted
>>
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Pat
You misunderstand PU, I was proud to be in a small town where almost everyone supported England.

Unlike some places I could mention.

Pat
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Ian (Cape Town)
Crazy here in town - obviously a lot of the fans didn't go to Port Eliz for the game.
There was a large double-decker bus driving about, adorned with THE SUN all over it, with some dolly birds handing out St George's flags and sun-branded vuvuzelas.

I got the hell out rather quickly, and watched the game indoors.

Holland v Cameroon tonight - the cloggies are already packing the streets here ! shame it is a dead-rubber match, though...
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - VxFan
>> I was in the middle of doing an open book exam

I'm sure you'll all be interested to know that I got a pass mark.
I'll be drooling over Gizzi Erskine on Channel 4.
Snail, in the style of Harold Steptoe ---- "You dirty old man" :-)
Yep. You've got me sussed!
:-D
Well - England Team were a group of finely tuned, world class athletes and got the result they well deserved -

in the Cricket one day test against Australia.
Unless its the Ashes, or the RWC it hs no meaning.

(tho its *always* good to thrash the aussies at anything)
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - helicopter
For crying out loud - its only a few blokes kicking a bit of leather.............and not very well at all.

Just got back Tuesday - I missed the first two England games altogether in my Cretan mountain retreat, apparently I missed nothing worth watching.

I was ensconced in a meeting in London from 2.30 to 6PM on Wednesday and emerged to find most of London peed out of their tiny minds celebrating having got to last 16 .
So what!

Matt cartoon today in Telegraph very amusing and probably prescient....

Flag seller selling England Flags (marked best before 23/06/10 )............
I'll be having a diabetic retinopathy screening. It's my first one so I'm not totally sure what to expect. I'm not allowed to drive to or from the test because of the effect of the drops they put in your eyes.

It's just a very bright light shone into your peepers, Les. They get you to look left/right/up/down so they can see all around the retina.
Nowt to worry about, take some sunglasses, have a cuppa in the clinic cafe after, let your vision revcover and you should be OK to drive home. I've always gone in the car or on the bike and I've never had a problem....even after laser treatment.

My last screening was clear....hope you get a similar result..

Ted
Ted but you did knock down that bus shelter on Denmark Road on the way home :).

Good luck with the test :). Its the one bad thing about getting old, more hospital appointments.

I'd forgotten that, rats. Mind you, it was on my pushbike.
One good thing is thet they're free ! You'll learn that there's a lot in life free when you get older........like hanging around the crematorium in a dark suit and tagging on to big funerals....you can eat free every day..............got to be off now, hearse just gone past.

Ted
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - spamcan61
Well at 15:00 I was in a review meeting here in sunny Kista, Stockholm with a mixture of Swedes and Chinese, they find it a bit odd that i'm britsh but have no interest whatsoever in football!
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Dog
>>got to be off now, hearse just gone past.<<

I've tuned a few hearses in my time, Ford V6 or XJ6 based mainly, AND got out alive,
seemed 'funny' at the time, having to road-test the critters, like.
Just another job, to them ... funny ole life!

:-)
Does a moral victory count?
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - CGNorwich
No
>> No

Well it gives us a good excuse. Still, it's not over yet...

EDIT: for those not watching, Englad were denied an equaliser because none of the officials spotted that the ball had gone at least a foot over the the goal line.
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 16:00
Should have the same tech support as Rugby.
Oh for goodness sake. Lampard takes a free kick from outside the box and just hits the wall AGAIN, so Germany zip down the other now sparsely populated end to score. It's going to be hard coming back from 3-1.
And even harder from 4-1 :(
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Old Navy
Could this be the reason for the big cheers from the nearby BBQ's here in sunny Scotland? :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 16:58

Did we not put any defenders out this time ? James seemed to be on his own out there !
Still, 2 bottles of real ale have dulled things a bit.
I might put myself forward for the next World Cup....must be worth a try !

Sorry to say I never had confidence in our lads that, even if they won today, they'd do much against the South Americans or the Portugese

Not going to listen to the pundits and the televisual inquest....gonna watch Deal or no Deal !

Ted
>> Did we not put any defenders out this time ?

Only English ones unfortunately.
Just remember we beat the Germans in 1946 so that is all that counts :).

We also make better cars than the Germans do but Germany do make better beer and sausages. They can also make concrete better than we can!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 17:52
...but Germany do make better beer and sausages....

You've started something there, Rattolo.

I'll go with you on the beer, I'm supping an Aldi own-label lager from the Fatherland at the minute.

But sausages? German ones I've had seem over-spiced and have a not very appetising texture and colour.

Give me a British banger any day.

>> But sausages? German ones I've had seem over-spiced and have a not very appetising texture
>> and colour.
>>
>> Give me a British banger any day.

You do need to know your German sausages, some are inedible, but others are really rather good. Perfect for guzzling with the rather weak German beer. Belgians do beer so much better..
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Harleyman
>>
>> Give me a British banger any day.
>>
>>
>>

You're talking to the right man there. Rattle was an expert on British bangers tilll recently!
Boom Boom....
Thanks for that reminder Rats...when I go onto client site tomorrow in München.
What cars are better by the way ? Please do advise me for the s***e I'm going to get in the morning...RR and Bentley do not count.
1946 ? I thought it was all over before that !
>> Just remember we beat the Germans in 1946 so that is all that counts :).

Or perhaps more to the point we beat them in 1966, due at least in part to a goal which when viewed with the benefit of contemporary technology looked like it shouldn't have counted.

EDIT: I mean of course a disallowed goal which should have counted (stress again)
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 18:17
How can you get stressed about 22 overpaid posers chasing a ball around a field?
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Robin O'Reliant
Never mind, at least the droughts over now with 3 million Welsh and 5 Million Scots P'ing themselves laughing.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 18:33
I meant 1945 :)

I've always been very fond of German beer and food since spending a few days in Berlin in 2007.

As for cars I was meaning Jaguar, some of their latest cars are truely stunning they have soul. German cars in the main lack soul they are just perfect machines.
>> As for cars I was meaning Jaguar, some of their latest cars are truely stunning
>> they have soul. German cars in the main lack soul they are just perfect machines.
>>
Well that's just a shame ! How will they sleep tonight ?
Perfect cars and through to the last 8. Should I take a rope into the office in the morning for them ?

PS J/LR are Indian !!!
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 12 Jul 10 at 00:37
Maybe so but they are still designed and engineered in the UK :) They are still made in the UK too.
>> Maybe so but they are still designed and engineered in the UK :) They are
>> still made in the UK too.

for how much longer.
Well if the government insist of all the HE sector cut backs probably not for much longer. We won't have any engineers left!

I believe Tata are very keen to keep the LR/Jaguar business very much British though.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Fursty Ferret
>> Well if the government insist of all the HE sector cut backs probably not for
>> much longer. We won't have any engineers left!
>>

Going to drift wildly off topic here but HE cut backs are exceptionally unlikely to affect either the volume or quality of engineering graduates.

A reduction in graduates is likely due to lack of uptake in some universities, coupled with increased outsourcing of design and in some cases construction outside the EU causing a weak job market. That said, there is still work in the defence sector, but some graduates refuse to work there on principle or will be cut out by new defence spending cuts.

This is coupled with the derogatory views imposed by the British public upon engineers, relegating them (intentionally or not) to second class citizens and instead choosing to misdirect their attention to our squad of overpaid ponces mincing their way around a field. Again, this is partly due to misuse of the term and it's not uncommon for me to get a bit stroppy if someone informs me, for example, that their "engineer" is on their way to fix my washing machine.

I'm not an engineer (I was a physicist in my earlier life, don't think that counts), but my dad was, and watched a successful business crumble around him thanks mostly to the policies of the Labour government over the last 10 years.
Last edited by: Alfa Floor on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 22:36
My late uncle was an engineer too. He fixed cars and televisions but his real job was he designed the electrical distribution systems at power stations. He was one of the earliest working class graduates.

I do think that if the intake of undergaduates is lower than the universities won't have the same money to spend and no doubt research grants will be lowered too. If universities are no longer world class then other countries will produce world class engineers instead.

At the moment the UK is still a major engineering country. Most the processors in the worlds smart phones for example have been designed in Cambridge. Lotus engineers design chasis for all sorts of different car companies and we are now a world leader in alternative energy sources.

All this comes from knowledge and is something the UK has competed very well with, if China starts producing world class engineers what is to stop them designed the next processor which will make ARM seem dated?

I've mentioned before on this site that I do think universities need to change and the system does need a shake up but I don't think the government are taking the issue seriously.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Fursty Ferret
Exactly. I met one of the UK's leading chip designers a few months ago and he told me that the UK was ahead of China, but only just.

Fortunately, the almost complete lack of original thought and inspiration (www.engadget.com/tag/kirf) in China (due to their government?) is keeping us at the top of the league, but his opinion is that it won't last for much longer.
the chineese dont need to design chips, they just copy them. Dont need to write software or microcode either, they simply copy that as well.

They are great hackers with no concept of copywrite
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 10:41
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - CGNorwich
Another national stereotype I'm afraid. Might have been the case 20 years ago but China does have copywrite laws much in line with other countries and does enforce them. It's not in their commercial interest not to.

www.chinaiprlaw.com/english/laws/laws10.htm
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Bagpuss
>> Another national stereotype I'm afraid. Might have been the case 20 years ago but China
>> does have copywrite laws much in line with other countries and does enforce them.

They have the laws but they are flouted on a regular basis. I have personal experience of European companies trying to sue Chinese companies for patent and other IPR infringements. The Chinese authorities have no interest in enforcing the laws and seem to be of the opinion that China can copy, rather than innovate, its way to greatness.
...China can copy, rather than innovate, its way to greatness....

It worked for the Japanese.
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - smokie
I was in the company of a guy who works at the National Physics Lab over the weekend. His job is "measuring things", which he'd done all his life. His view was that once transport becomes too expensive, we will have to rejuvenate our manufacturing industries if we want to stay alive.
>> How can you get stressed about 22 overpaid posers chasing a ball around a field?

It was intended to be a light-hearted comment ON. I don't take football to seriously, but it's fun getting behind the team IMO. You sound like you do take it a bit too seriously!
>>You sound like you do take ita bit too seriously!
>>

Not at all, it's just another sport, nothing to get worked up about.

German beer better than English ??.......I like german beer but it's different to English.
I had a Tanglefoot and a Hobgoblin with the match.
Maybe your tastes, Rats, like so many youngsters today, are more with the lager types of beer.
Perhaps membership of CAMRA and a session in some of their recommended pubs would enlighten you.
I've just been in a pub in Rugby where you can buy beer in 1/3 pint glasses. Supplied in a special tray, you can have 6 different beers from their vast range to sample . Then you can buy a take-away flagon of your favourite.
That's the way to do it.

Football ? Along with other sports, we are living on the back of former glories.
Yes, we've just beaten the Aussies at one day cricket, but when the serious business of the Ashes comes around..........where will we be then ? Tennis ? Remember Henman ?
We're not even second rate now, I'm sorry to say.

Crapello will now be given his P45 and about 12 million quid to go away with.
You couldn't make it up !

Ted
 What will you be doing at 15.00 today? - Harleyman
>>
>> Yes, we've just beaten the Aussies at one day cricket, but when the serious business
>> of the Ashes comes around..........where will we be then ?

Beating them again I hope. To be strictly fair, the current Australian team is a mere shadow of their world-beating squad of a few years ago, although it's also true that England have improved, most notably in the depth of talent. They are no longer dependent on a few individuals' consistency, as there are other equally good candidates available; look at the way Prior and Bell have been dumped for this series. I think it's also helped that Flintoff is no longer called upon to be England's saviour; like Beckham on the football field, a truly great player but his time has passed.
Ted I like both and if god help me I ever end up in the local Wetherspoons I always head to the CAMRA selection. Nearly joined a few times but I think I need to wait until I am least 30.

The Horse and Jockey now have a wonderful selection of beers, but some of it is over 8%. I actually lost my balance the last time I was in there!

The sadistic part of me is kind of glad we have lost the football because now at least things can get back to normal. I have got to say though I am so pleased there hasn't been any football related trouble at all in Manchester this year. I think we have sent a clear message to certain Scots they are no longer welcome!
At 3 pm today I'll be watching Nazi Hunters on Yesterday, Freeview 12.
 Blow up Englnad footballer - prices slashed - Falkirk Bairn
www.storedepot.co.uk/products/garden_play.html?gclid=CK-lrdXEwqICFcKT3wod9Tbn6Q

Pity it was not an Blow-up England manager - they would sell lots - sorry its an "inflatable England manager"- you get it and then use it for target practice!
>> At 3 pm today I'll be watching Nazi Hunters on Yesterday, Freeview 12.

Eichmann ? Saw it a couple of days ago......fascinating cat and mouse story.
How the mighty are fallen, running the Third Reich's final solution transport network to owning a failed launderette in South America.

Ted
>>
At 3 pm today I'll be watching another edition of Nazi Hunters on Yesterday.
what is it with you and Nazi Hunters?
This thread could turn into the forum equivalent of Groundhog Day.

We'll never get rid of it, every morning it will be bumped to the top of the list by someone.

"At 3pm today I'm having tea with Aunt Maude."
>> what is it with you and Nazi Hunters?

He says his name's Les.....but isn't Martin Bormann still at loose ?

Ted
>>
Well, let me see now! What's on Yesterday at 3 pm today?
:-D
are there any left? shouldnt they have been hunted to extinction by now?
Latest Forum Posts