Non-motoring > iconic building burns Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 6

iconic building burns - ToMoCo
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27541883
 iconic building burns - R.P.
Shame really - Never heard of it before, but looked quite a smart building.
 iconic building burns - Ambo
Latest is most of the building is saved and 70% of the contents.
 iconic building burns - Roger.
This is an utter disaster - not just for those of us who admire Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Glasgow School of arts & crafts design.
Even losing 30% of the inspirational things in there is sad.
 iconic building burns - Lygonos
I'm pretty sure it can be rebuilt: lots of craftsmen who can create CRM stuff, and the materials used were not priceless - will take time, skill and cash however.

Appears the Fire Brigade knew what they were doing, too, having arrived within 4 minutes of the call, and in Muriel Gray's words:

"Due to one of the most astonishingly intelligent and professional pieces of strategy by the fire services, they succeeded in protecting the vast majority of the building, apparently by forming a human wall of firefighters up the west end of the main staircase and containing the fire."

She added: "Also, after ensuring no lives were in peril, they displayed an impressive understanding of the precious nature of the building, and due to their careful and meticulous handling of each developing situation the damage is considerably less than we dreaded.

iconic building burns - Armel Coussine
Funny how cool, efficient and cuddly the fire brigade can be. I've noted it several times at close quarters in urban and rural settings. Chapeau every time.
 iconic building burns - Mapmaker
I went to Glasgow last weekend to see this; sadly couldn't get in owing to the preparations for the degree show, and now I never will get to see the original interior.
Latest Forum Posts