Non-motoring > Iphone photos Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Iphone photos - BobbyG
I have a Sony Xperia SP, when I take a photo I can change the settings, flash, photo size etc.
When I view a photo on the phone, it takes up the full screen.

Missus has an iphone 5C, her photos seem to be smaller in size and when you view them on the screen there are black bands down either side ie the photo does not appear as big.

I cannot find any way of changing settings other than between video / photo and panoramic.

Is this something to do with 16:9 and 4:3 formats?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
 Iphone photos - Manatee
I don't think that's 'standard'.

I'm looking at about 400 photos right now, uploaded from a 5C and they are mostly very good quality despite being taken by a non-techie person, and no black bands.

They are all 4:3 (2048 x 1536). I assume that is the default, he won't have made any "settings" unless it's by accident. Same size and format as my 4S in fact.
 Iphone photos - BobbyG
Just checked photos on my phone =- they are 3104x1746 which are 16:9 .
It fits the screen of the phone.

I am guessing as the iphone screen is smaller then it takes its photos in 4:3 then. If you view your photos on the actual iphone do you have black strips at the side?
 Iphone photos - VxFan
>> If you view your photos on the actual iphone do you have black strips at the side?

Depends whether you view them in portrait or landscape.

also I take it you're aware that you can enlarge the photos by either double tapping quickly on the screen or by placing two fingers on the screen and spreading them out (pinch and zoom)?
 Iphone photos - BiggerBadderDave
"placing two fingers on the screen and spreading them out"

More fun to do it in real life than on screen.
 Iphone photos - R.P.
I love you Dave.
 Iphone photos - Manatee
Ah, right - so the photos are OK, it's the display on the phone. Never look at mine too hard on the phone.

Now that I do - my 4S is displaying them full screen, but pinching them smaller shows that a bit has been chopped off top and bottom to fit them to the screen (viewed in landscape). Viewing the same landscape photo with the phone vertical, the picture rotates to remain right way up and fits to width again - so of course massive black area above and below.

Suggest she sets up a Onedrive account, loads the app to the phone and sets it to upload the camera roll. That's all I do. They give you about 10MB free if you jump through a hoop or two. You can do similar with dropbox, but they don't give you as much free space.

You can I'm sure achieve similar about with Apple photostream, icloud and all that but you need an Apple dictionary to make sense of it so I've never bothered - at least it will be easier to leave them!
 Iphone photos - rtj70
I think I am right in saying photos on an iPhone are taken as 4:3 aspect ratio. When previewed on the phone's screen they are cropped top and bottom and shown with a 3:2 aspect ratio.
 Iphone photos - Manatee
>> I think I am right in saying

You are.
 Iphone photos - No FM2R
>>They give you about 10MB free if you jump through a hoop or two. You can do similar with dropbox, but they don't give you as much free space.

Have you got your Gs & Ms mixed up? Because I thought Dropbox gave a minimum of 2GB free?
 Iphone photos - Manatee
Yes, jiggerbytes. Thanks.
 Iphone photos - No FM2R
BTW, just realised that flickr does the camera upload thing and they give you 1TB. (which is a lot of photos).
 Iphone photos - Manatee
>> BTW, just realised that flickr does the camera upload thing and they give you 1TB.
>> (which is a lot of photos).

Mustafa look. Haven't looked at it for years, didn't get on with it but can't remember why.
 Iphone photos - No FM2R
I think it depends on how you intend to use it. Bulk upload, download or editing seems like a complete pain, so conceivably starting to use it could be tiresome if you have loads of photos to upload.

If you don't intend to use it for storage, then it seems fine.

I do intend to use it for backup storage, and mas uploading is indeed an a***. However, there are batch tools available, and the free one I am currently using seems to do the trick.
Latest Forum Posts