Non-motoring > Miss Saigon. And other expense! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Miss Saigon. And other expense! - legacylad
I'm taking the gf for a weekend in London at August BH and thought I would treat her to a show. I know she likes Miss Saigon but was knocked over to see ticket prices. £100 for a decent seat. And that's for the Saturday afternoon matinee...already paid for the bfast & evening meal deal at the Premier Inn so not going to miss that! Does anyone have any experience of this new show at the Prince Edward Theatre and if it really is worth paying the extra for better seats?
I also hope to see the Matisse Cut Outs exhibition whilst herself shops. It's almost worth becoming a Tate member @ £62 rather than pay the single admission price, despite living out in the sticks.
As always, any advice much appreciated
 Miss Saigon. And other expense! - Pat

>>any advice much appreciated<<

You need to ditch her and find a girlfriend who appreciates the cheaper things in life:)

Sorry!

Pat
 Miss Saigon. And other expense! - bathtub tom
SWMBO got tickets for The 39 Steps for my birthday, around fifteen quid each!

Look at the Leicester Square half-price-ticket-booth: www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/
You can get an idea of what's likely to be available by watching it daily. DON'T get scammed by some of the shysters purporting to sell cut price tickets.

The theatres also seem to be coming to their senses and selling tickets at reasonable prices: www.londonboxoffice.co.uk/cheap-theatre-tickets
But not unfortunately shows that are still selling out like Miss Saigon.
 Miss Saigon. And other expense! - CGNorwich
I think he has if she's happy with a night in a Premier Inn.

Miss Saigon. And other expense! - Gromit
You're very unlikely to get half price tickets for a popular show that's just (re)opened. West End theatres used to release returned tickets on the day of the performance, but for that to work you need to be flexible on what you'll go see.

Generally dearer seats worth it for a better view if you're into theatre for the performance itself rather than simply the experience of being at a live show. But there'll be a sweet spot at each price level in most venues where, for example you're one row behind the next most expensive block, or front of a balcony. I like first few rows of the upper circle(s) in a traditional auditorium with a half moon of tiered seats around the stage.

Tip: book your interval drinks in advance to avoid the scrum at the bar. Sometimes you'll get a table or counter space at least too as they have to reserve somewhere to serve up the pre-ordered drinks.

It used to be you could tell who'd seen what on the tube home - the lived up couples had seen Phantom, if they were humming to themselves with a tear in their eye they'd seen Les Mis. The stunned ones had just come out of Saigon. Wonder if it's still as good 25 years on? Hope so!

Enjoy the show!
 Miss Saigon. And other expense! - legacylad
Thanks for the advice Pat
I had someone who appreciated the cheaper things in life, but when push came to shove.....I considered the legal bills a sound investment. Eventually.
She only drives a VW CC so I make allowances and we only 'do' London a couple of times a year. Mind you the Premier Inn on a Bank Holiday weekend ain't cheap. Trouble is we don't plan in advance, it's all spur of the moment after a few bottles of vino blanco so totally self inflicted.
 Miss Saigon. And other expense! - bathtub tom
Gromit just reminded me, I should've mentioned this website: www.theatremonkey.com/
Advises on seats to avoid.
 Miss Saigon. And other expense! - R.P.
Worth seeing (saw the original version) - money well spent, enjoy.
Latest Forum Posts